What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver strategy (1 Viewer)

Da Gildz

Footballguy
First time playing this FFGC format with 1k in waiver $. What kind of bids are thrown out early in the year ? Obviously it's very dependent on the league but are people dropping 200+ on a TE after week 1???

First time playing this FFGC format with 1k in waiver $. What kind of bids are thrown out early in the year ? Obviously it's very dependent on the league but are people dropping 200+ on a TE after week 1???
Yes, last year his name was Pitta and in one league I think he went for $250. Steal at double the price.

It all depends on the player and your league. Running multiple teams, I've frequently landed a player or seen him land for $40 in one league but $800 in another league. By my observation, serious attempts at claiming a waiver gem are anything north of $250. As the season progresses it makes more sense to consider bids in terms of % of cash remaining rather than $ value but in the early weeks I think you consider yourself serious at $250.

Thanks. I saw Celek was actually undrafted in 1 of my leagues (drafted pretty early), so im really curious to see his price tag after week 1. If he has a great opening week, oh boy...

Every league is independent. You can't set a price for a certain player across all leagues. Teams who start the season off with a Loss, if they see a guy who might improve their team, they might throw out $500-$600 right off the bat in the 1st week. I'll help you new guys out, since I am new to this league format as well. Go check out the link below, you can go see last years Transactions from all the different leagues in the FBG FFPC. To give you one example, Ogletree was a hot waiver pickup after week 2 last year. Clicking on Random leagues and viewing their transactions, Ogletree goes anywhere from $100 range to $750 range, and I only clicked on maybe 5 leagues. I'm sure there might be people spending even more than $750 the 1st week.

http://www.fantasymojo.com/mojo/news.do?action=ffpcarchives2012

Every league is independent. You can't set a price for a certain player across all leagues. Teams who start the season off with a Loss, if they see a guy who might improve their team, they might throw out $500-$600 right off the bat in the 1st week. I'll help you new guys out, since I am new to this league format as well. Go check out the link below, you can go see last years Transactions from all the different leagues in the FBG FFPC. To give you one example, Ogletree was a hot waiver pickup after week 2 last year. Clicking on Random leagues and viewing their transactions, Ogletree goes anywhere from $100 range to $750 range, and I only clicked on maybe 5 leagues. I'm sure there might be people spending even more than $750 the 1st week.

http://www.fantasymojo.com/mojo/news.do?action=ffpcarchives2012
Dumb question but is this website an authority site on FBG FFPC information? Just want to get a feel for the potential tools I can benefit from long term. Many thanks for your imput and contribution Fantasy Fool.

Success,

ISUDestroyers

Be interesting to see how much a guy like Edelman (if not drafted) goes for. Especially with Amendola possibly being banged up...oh boy.

Be interesting to see how much a guy like Edelman (if not drafted) goes for. Especially with Amendola possibly being banged up...oh boy.
I have the same thoughts. I'm and Amendola owner in the FFPC tourney and am kicking myself for not "handcuffing" Amendola with Edelman.

Do you guys think $625 is too much for Edelman?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same thoughts. I'm and Amendola owner in the FFPC tourney and am kicking myself for not "handcuffing" Amendola with Edelman.

I also didnt handcuff him..ugh. And im wondering the same, think you're high on that # though. However julius thomas in this format should go for that , if not even more.

Da Gildz said:
ahartig said:

I also didnt handcuff him..ugh. And im wondering the same, think you're high on that # though. However julius thomas in this format should go for that , if not even more.
Agreed on Julius, he went in the 8th round in our league.

I have a feeling the two TEs that scored decent points in week 1 that are left on waivers (winslow and clark) will be scooped up for at least $50 a piece>?

thomas $500+...might be $800

edelman range is going to be ogletree ish 200-700 cause of gronk's return, amendola, and the rookie te/wrs

celek $250-500

clark $50-250

winslows higher than clark

it really doesn't help to look at the actual amounts of past bids. every league is very different.

I don't think you should bid over 20% of your cash,you never know what may come up later in the season.
I think Edelman/Julius Thomas are rare exceptions. Edelman ESPECIALLY for the Amendola owner who didnt handcuff him. You're pretty much guarenteed a lock top 20 option at WR owning both guys. Whereas the non-amendola may have enough options there and not see that pressing need for him. Im 1 of those dumb Amendola owners who didnt handcuff him with Edelman and im prepared to go heavy into the wallet for him. As for Thomas, any TE that put up that kind of week in a league where top end TE's are pretty much goldmines, he's well worthy of a monster bid. He could very well be just mediocre and far from a Gronk/Jimmy Graham type but heck, what if he is 1 of those guys ???? Just for argument sake , how much would 1 of those 2 be worth as a FA pickup in this FFPC system??? :o

I don't think you should bid over 20% of your cash,you never know what may come up later in the season.
I think Edelman/Julius Thomas are rare exceptions. Edelman ESPECIALLY for the Amendola owner who didnt handcuff him. You're pretty much guarenteed a lock top 20 option at WR owning both guys. Whereas the non-amendola may have enough options there and not see that pressing need for him. Im 1 of those dumb Amendola owners who didnt handcuff him with Edelman and im prepared to go heavy into the wallet for him. As for Thomas, any TE that put up that kind of week in a league where top end TE's are pretty much goldmines, he's well worthy of a monster bid. He could very well be just mediocre and far from a Gronk/Jimmy Graham type but heck, what if he is 1 of those guys ???? Just for argument sake , how much would 1 of those 2 be worth as a FA pickup in this FFPC system??? :o
After much back and forth, I have locked in my blind bid at $604 for edelman..... waivers close at 7 pm PST

After much back and forth, I have locked in my blind bid at $604 for edelman..... waivers close at 7 pm PST
Do u think thats a bit 'too' much tho? Im all for dropping big coin on him , but is a non-Amendola owner really dropping over 60% of their budget on him? I think something in the 400 range should do it , which is still a huge purchase...but hey maybe im completely off here.

i don't think there's a wrong way to bid. setting a 20% rule is going to prevent you from landing michael vick or alfred morris, but also will help avoid brandon jackson or ogletree.

Do u think thats a bit 'too' much tho? Im all for dropping big coin on him , but is a non-Amendola owner really dropping over 60% of their budget on him? I think something in the 400 range should do it , which is still a huge purchase...but hey maybe im completely off here.
here's the thing, you bid $400, what's the point? you're gonna lose the next big free agent to the guy with 1000 remaining anyway.

Fair point.

I'd like to hear some thoughts from NON-Amendola owners, if Edelmen is available, assuming your going after him, how much would u bid? again, i realize every league is different but im curious to see what other owners are thinking...

here's the thing, you bid $400, what's the point? you're gonna lose the next big free agent to the guy with 1000 remaining anyway.
What he said. If I'm willing to go all in, I'm all in. I drafted Amendola as my WR1. So i need the insurance right now. Frustrating thing is I remember thinking to myself when I drafted Amendola that I couldn't forget to handcuff him with a late round Edelman flyer. ARGHHHHH :doh:

He has an elite QB throwing to him that is going to throw 25-35 times a game at least. He is on a high powered offense. If he gets hurt then so be it, but at least I'll have the main welker clones in NE covered

Yep sick that i didnt handcuff Edelman after looking at some of the scrubs i took late and now i have to mortgage the house on him. Also, i know picks are locked in by 10 pm, when does the waiver run? My other RT league think goes off around 1 am EST...Just curious

Yep sick that i didnt handcuff Edelman after looking at some of the scrubs i took late and now i have to mortgage the house on him. Also, i know picks are locked in by 10 pm, when does the waiver run? My other RT league think goes off around 1 am EST...Just curious
Not sure, first year doing the FFPC league. I would assume everything would get processed at 7 PM PST, especially since there is a Thursday night game.

waivers take at least 30 minute to process, sometimes longer, and some leagues always process faster than others. kinda weird

i'm heavy on wrs this year and would bid 300 not expecting to get him. if i had some scares with dez or am waiting on someone like blackmon or gordon as wr4 or wr3 then i'd bid 500-700 easy, maybe more. bidding over 400 is a huge psychological hurdle for 1st year managers. after week 2 you'll get a good idea of who you might need to outbid in your own league.

Da Gildz said:
A little misdirection go big or go home.

I've found in the past if you really want someone and your sure they are going to be a difference maker you better be ready to use the majority of your cash.

I bid 996 on J Thomas.I lost winning bid 1000.Figured it was going to take at least 900 never thought it would take everything.I got Morris last year for less but it looks like I'm going to be out of luck picking up the big FA this year.

I bid 996 on J Thomas.I lost winning bid 1000.Figured it was going to take at least 900 never thought it would take everything.I got Morris last year for less but it looks like I'm going to be out of luck picking up the big FA this year.
I bid 993 and the second place bid was 992. I finished dead last in week 1 in that league and needed a TE, so it was all in on JT.

Edelman went for $550 and $801 in the two leagues I'm in where he wasn't drafted. I like him in the short term, but he might be the only WR even more injury prone than Amendola. It's tough to justify spending over 50% of the budget on a guy that may not even be option #3 on the Pats by the time the FFPC playoffs start.

Cant believe the 1000 bids on J Thomas-- it is one of the worst moves you can possibly make as you can not pick up any players the rest of the year meaning that unless you have amazing fortune you are going to be done in the mid to late part of the year. Luckily, Im getting to play these teams later so I love the move

For better or worse, I seemed to get Hankerson in all my leagues in the low 100s. I think he has a real shot to be a strong receiver but of course I could be wrong

Cant believe the 1000 bids on J Thomas-- it is one of the worst moves you can possibly make as you can not pick up any players the rest of the year meaning that unless you have amazing fortune you are going to be done in the mid to late part of the year. Luckily, Im getting to play these teams later so I love the move
From memory the only $900+ bid that was ever worth it was Boldin - ten years ago in his great rookie year

$1000 bids are doomed unless you get so lucky with all your players staying healthy all year

I can understand the 1k bids on Thomas. U need to get crazy lucky in this thing for the big $. IF he puts up Gronk/Graham type #'s in this 1.5 PPR format, he's definitely worth it. Its a gamble for sure, but if it pays off, well worth it. Also benches are super deeeeeep. So yea u wont have waiver $ to spend but u would think u have some quality options on your bench if injuries do occur.

The Edelman 900+ bids from non-amendola owners is harder to understand. There is no chance he's a top-10 WR option at years end barring Amendola season ending injury. With Gronk coming back to boot. i just dont see it. Now if Amendola was out for ROS, then i get it. But to spend your whole budget on what could be WR1 production for a couple weeks, seems crazy to me.

Wow some of these bids are wild. Marlon Brown went for 400 in 1 of my leagues. He looks decent but 40% of your budget??? On a guy who's probably a #3 WR at best,...just nuts.

I paid 118 for Rod Streater, I needed some flex help and for the upcoming bye weeks. Not sure I like having to start him but there are few options and he is getting a lot of targets in the offense. FBG had him top 40 this week. I probably am starting him ahead of Golden Tate this week.

From memory the only $900+ bid that was ever worth it was Boldin - ten years ago in his great rookie year

$1000 bids are doomed unless you get so lucky with all your players staying healthy all year
agree on 1000 never being worth it...but 900 was worth it on so many players in 2010...vick, hillis, stevie, lloyd, ...and 2011...cam demarco cruz.

Users who are viewing this thread