What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danny woodhead (1 Viewer)

3quinox

Footballguy
What projections do you guys have for woodhead in PPR? Some think he could post low end rb2 numbers.

I'd expect roughly 600-800 yards, 40ish receptions, and 4-6 scores. Basically just what he did last year, except with slightly fewer TDs. He might put up very low-end RB2 numbers by the time all is said and done if he plays 16 games, but on a per-game basis, I think he's a better fit as a flex play.

i would feel comfortable having Woodhead as a bench flier in PPR leagues. He could be a nice insurance policy for the RB position if you aren't that deep in the RB position. The Chargers tried Woodhead in the slot in some schemes this preseason and Woodhead is a baby sproles IMO. I wouldn't really reach or trade a lot for him and I also wouldn't be expecting him to be a RB3 or even a weekly flex play. But out of all the "backup" rb's this year I expect Woodhead to be a serviceable ppr rb when you need one.

but i do believe we will know earlier in the season if he will be important for the chargers or just roster depth for them. I fear he might be just a flier for the chargers themselves rather then a cog in there machine.

The way the Chargers WRs have been unable to stay healthy, they may end up having to use a combination of Danny Woodhead or Ladarius Green as their WR3, effectively. If that happens, Woodhead could be an okay fantasy RB2 in PPR leagues. Otherwise, as long as Mathews stays healthy (LOL?), Woodhead is likely a barely adequate bye-week fill-in.

(Other than Danario Alexander, the WRs all seem to be on track to play in week one. But every one of them is injury-prone, if you believe in such things, so there's no telling how long before they start dropping en masse once again.)

Last edited by a moderator:
When Woodhead went west and everyone pegged him as this big-time sleeper due to Mathews' inability to stay healthy and/or productive, I thought it was rather silly.... based on the fact that most of these folks automatically assumed he'd get all the same tricky looks he did in New England. Compare the machine that is the Patriot offense to the clusterpoop that is the Bolts' and hopefully you see some minor differences.

Plus, Ronnie Brown is still there to provide his usual handful of uneventful carries. Then Mathews started looking better... and Woodhead's charm started to wear off.

All that said, now that they're actually lining little man out as a slot WR, he may see 400ish yards, 35-40 catches and serve as a nifty little bye week filler or desperate flex play.

Mathews has never been in on passing 3rd downs so unless that changes I think Woodhead has value in non-PPR leagues!
That was a different regime. We don't know yet if he will get 3rd down snaps. One thing to consider is that McCoy may actually use both in the backfield. I saw it on various occasions when I went to camp. It generally entailed Woody motioning out to the slot.

As far as Woodhead is concerned, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him catch 60-70 balls this year. He should get a lot of looks.

When Woodhead went west and everyone pegged him as this big-time sleeper due to Mathews' inability to stay healthy and/or productive, I thought it was rather silly.... based on the fact that most of these folks automatically assumed he'd get all the same tricky looks he did in New England. Compare the machine that is the Patriot offense to the clusterpoop that is the Bolts' and hopefully you see some minor differences.

Plus, Ronnie Brown is still there to provide his usual handful of uneventful carries. Then Mathews started looking better... and Woodhead's charm started to wear off.

All that said, now that they're actually lining little man out as a slot WR, he may see 400ish yards, 35-40 catches and serve as a nifty little bye week filler or desperate flex play.
I don't expect him to be active on game days barring injuries. Fozzy will be handling kickoff returns and McClain plays on ST's. I just don't think we'll have 5 RB's active on game days.

Buffaloes said:
he won't last another month imo if they keep running him between the tackles like they did last night.
why not?
I love woody, but he's right. gonna get killed if they use him in the run game like last night.
Again...why? He doesn't have much of an injury history.

I don't think people realize that he's over 200 lbs. That's not huge, but at his height he's pretty thick.

Buffaloes said:
he won't last another month imo if they keep running him between the tackles like they did last night.
why not?
I love woody, but he's right. gonna get killed if they use him in the run game like last night.

I don't think people realize that he's over 200 lbs. That's not huge, but at his height he's pretty thick.
yea, he's "listed" at 200 lbs., but he doesn't look it. maybe 185ish would be my guess @ 5'8". anyway, i just don't think hes built for pounding between the tackles. leave that to brown or matthews when his head clears.

don't get me wrong, he's going to have a great year if he stays healthy in that offense.

Buffaloes said:
why not?

dude he's tiny. 200lbs doesn't mean anything when three 300 pounders slam you into the ground time after time.

Buffaloes said:
why not?

dude he's tiny. 200lbs doesn't mean anything when three 300 pounders slam you into the ground time after time.
are small players more injury prone because they are smaller?

Last edited by a moderator:
Buffaloes said:
why not?

you win. I'm not gonna bicker about this.

Buffaloes said:
why not?

you win. I'm not gonna bicker about this.
I'm not arguing. I'm trying to figure out why people are assuming injury. I haven't made an argument one way or another.

He was over 200 during the offseason and despite being listed as 5'8" multiple places, the guy is 5'6".

It was one of the bigger reasons he was overlooked, but for his height he is big.

Woodhead has also proven to be tough, as a special teams player in NE he was an amazing gunner, laid out some people twice his size.

What do you guys think going forward? the same amount of touchdowns and added ppr value with his use of wheel routes?

What do you guys think going forward? the same amount of touchdowns and added ppr value with his use of wheel routes?
Think he will definitely continue to see plenty of catches. TDs, I'm not so sure. He's pretty much a Sproles-lite at this point. Maybe not the volume of catches and yards, but he's a great PPR flex.

He's clearly the preferred red zone back so far. With Rivers having a resurgence, that should mean points.

Buffaloes said:
why not?

At first I thought the same thing, but he is so short, no one seems to be able to get a proper shot on him when he lowers his shoulder.

I just traded Edelman straight up for Woodhead last week. So I'm hoping Woodhead can keep this pace up. I believe he will, especially with Mathews already getting hurt.

5 games into the season and he's putting up Rb1/Wr1 numbers.

"Too small, not gonna last, gonna get injured", say the people who don't have him.

If you have him, you're a happy camper.

Buffaloes said:
why not?

At first I thought the same thing, but he is so short, no one seems to be able to get a proper shot on him when he lowers his shoulder.[/quote

Taller backs are usually more injury prone. This debate about he dudes size is absurd. He's getting the most touches on an elite offense. He's a starter in ppr.

After today's game he has really solidified himself as way more than a flex. What do you see for him in dynasty going forward? Especially in PPR?

After today's game he has really solidified himself as way more than a flex. What do you see for him in dynasty going forward? Especially in PPR?
I was hypercritical of the signing in the first place, but he and Allen are the keys to the offense after Rivers right now. I can't imagine his role ever expanding from what it is now. This is the zenith. If you can get value in a dynasty trade and you are out of the hunt for a title this year I would sell high. You have no idea what weapons will be brought in next year but his piece of the pie is much more likely to shrink imo. If guys like Alexander/Floyd would not have been injured it already wouldn't be as big as it is right now.

Rotoworld:

Danny Woodhead played on 28-of-67 snaps in last week's loss to the Bengals.

Woodhead finished with just seven carries and two catches on three targets. The decreased usage has become something of a trend as he's averaged only 29.0 snaps and 9.0 touches across the last four games. In the seven games before that, he was at 36.7 snaps and 14.2 touches a day. Woodhead is still a RB2 candidate in PPR formats, but the floor is getting lower as his volume decreases.

Source: profootballfocus.com

Users who are viewing this thread