What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danny woodhead (1 Viewer)

Might sell high this week. Don't get me wrong the guy has carried my RB position for a stretch but generally speaking the Chargers offense always seems like it's one more injury away from completely falling apart. Up until 4th quarter it was a bad, bad scene

Might sell high this week. Don't get me wrong the guy has carried my RB position for a stretch but generally speaking the Chargers offense always seems like it's one more injury away from completely falling apart. Up until 4th quarter it was a bad, bad scene
Curious what you get -- I was all proud of myself for benching him for Diggs and he surpassed by 3 pts. I'm in standard league and would love to package him for a high RB2-low RB1--

From my point of view, there seems to be a large interest in the Chargers making Gordon "the guy". It was apparent the first 2 weeks of the season that Woodhead was a better fit for the offense, and then within a weeks time, Melvin was carrying more of the load, and even getting a bulk of the passing downs. It was not until last week where the Gordon injuries/fumbles brought Woodhead back into the picture. Of course he responds by posting the PPR numbers we know he is capable of putting up, but I'm concerned that a healthy Gordon will come back to dominating the workload again.

Up until the injury against the Packers last week, I felt he was losing ground to Gordon for no viable reason.

For whatever reason, SD seems intent on giving either Gordon or Oliver the majority of the touches until they're trailing and forced to put in Woodhead. The SD offense is obviously at its best going tempo and with Woodhead in the game, but I guess Mike McCoy doesn't like winning.

For whatever reason, SD seems intent on giving either Gordon or Oliver the majority of the touches until they're trailing and forced to put in Woodhead. The SD offense is obviously at its best going tempo and with Woodhead in the game, but I guess Mike McCoy doesn't like winning.
My thoughts exactly! At one point in the second half I thought Woodhead must have been injured. Then he comes in on the last two drives has 6+ catches and scores 2 TDs.

WHY DONT THEY USE HIM ALL GAME!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly! At one point in the second half I thought Woodhead must have been injured. Then he comes in on the last two drives has 6+ catches and scores 2 TDs.

Me thinks they will start to

FA pick up for me, someone drafted him in my local and dropped him before week 1. Thankfully with how CJA, Morris have been, I grabbed him. He doesn't get used nearly enough early in games it seems but if you're patient, he generally comes through with decent points and occasionally excellent ones like yesterday. Even in standard, let alone PPR where he is probably top 5, he must be pushing for top 8 in RB scoring?

FA pick up for me, someone drafted him in my local and dropped him before week 1. Thankfully with how CJA, Morris have been, I grabbed him. He doesn't get used nearly enough early in games it seems but if you're patient, he generally comes through with decent points and occasionally excellent ones like yesterday. Even in standard, let alone PPR where he is probably top 5, he must be pushing for top 8 in RB scoring?
wow --After seeing this, I just checked in our standard league -- he is # 6 - after Forte and before Bell --

wow --After seeing this, I just checked in our standard league -- he is # 6 - after Forte and before Bell --
Yup, not a surprise. He usage is inconsistent so he has up and down weeks but he's a solid RB2 and a perfect flex player too. Hope the SD coaches will use him a bit more, Rivers definitely trusts him.

Yup, not a surprise. He usage is inconsistent so he has up and down weeks but he's a solid RB2 and a perfect flex player too. Hope the SD coaches will use him a bit more, Rivers definitely trusts him.
Yeah, pretty sure he was only on my bench when he scored 20+ pts. argh

Yesterday around 7:00 I get a text from my fantasy nemesis:

"Danny Woodhead over TJ Yeldon? Did you forget how to play fantasy football?"

30 seconds later...

"You're a genius"

A half hour later....

"And another TD. You're a guru."

Me thinks they will start to
Unless McCoy is stuck in the ball control slow play mode he used to beat Denver in 2013. Seems like that is his go to O. Looking at the Det, GB and Oak games he doesnt implement the hurry up until the last 7 mins.

He shoulda had it running from the end of the 1st quarter in the the Oak game.

Woodhead should have had another TD in the GB game. He was well open on the 2nd to last play of the game

This guy doesn't get nearly enough love, even after huge games. His floor is around 12 fantasy points in 1 pt. PPR, with a massive game possible every week no matter what defense he's playing against.

Foster going down in my PPR league doesn't hurt nearly as badly since I have Woodhead ready to step in.

It's fine that people keep discounting him and assuming that he's a fringe flex because he's not the starter. I look forward to drafting him again next season in the final rounds of my PPR drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
This logic is how I traded Wallace for him yesterday in one of my leagues.

I'd agree with you if it were standard but in PPR he's a high RB2/low RB1. He's currently third in points for RBs in PPR for a reason.

EDIT: I misunderstood your post SCT! Word.

• Smile
Reactions: SCT
His trade value is almost zero it seems. People continue to discount him. Oh well, I will just keep playing him!

His trade value is almost zero it seems. People continue to discount him. Oh well, I will just keep playing him!
He couldn't even get a shoutout in the Weekly Upgrades/Downgrades

100+ yards and 2 TDs just doesn't satisfy anyone when it's from a 135-pound "backup" RB.

Woodhead is like 225 and bulks up every year. Faster than Sproles, perpetually underrated.

Feel like it's kind of racist tbh.

Easily the best 12th round PPR pickup I've made since I started playing FF. Was criminal where I got him and he pretty much floated my team after losing Dez and Lamar came out of the gates sucking.

Tried packaging him into a couple of trades this year and people don't seem to value him. Blows my mind -- he's not usually gonna score 30 points like some of the top line RB1 but if you need 10-15 points at a position to anchor your group it's money in the bank.

Run It Up said:
Woodhead is like 225 and bulks up every year. Faster than Sproles, perpetually underrated.

I don't think its racist...I think it is definitely due to the fact that he looks like a 14 year old kid trying to grow facial hair for the first time. People look at his profile on NFL.com, ESPN.com, etc. and automatically think...yes, I'll take fries with that.

Run It Up said:

I don't think its racist...I think it is definitely due to the fact that he looks like a 14 year old kid trying to grow facial hair for the first time. People look at his profile on NFL.com, ESPN.com, etc. and automatically think...yes, I'll take fries with that.
Selling french fries at the drive through or selling jerseys at Modell's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjEhEFBu-C4

That's what I'm saying people see Sproles take off in tight space and everyone's like man that guys quickness and top end are unreal and when Danny does it quicker and faster there's no excitement or chatter.

It's like these stereotypes exist and he just doesn't fit it for some reason and it confuses me, I really wish NE would have never let him go but SD was a great spot to land in with a great QB.

That's what I'm saying people see Sproles take off in tight space and everyone's like man that guys quickness and top end are unreal and when Danny does it quicker and faster there's no excitement or chatter.

It's like these stereotypes exist and he just doesn't fit it for some reason and it confuses me, I really wish NE would have never let him go but SD was a great spot to land in with a great QB.
Its in their names.

Sproles sounds fast and exciting like...he's exsprolesive.

Woodhead...sounds dull and something your grandfather has in a box in his garage.

Its in their names.

Sproles sounds fast and exciting like...he's exsprolesive.

Woodhead...sounds dull and something your grandfather has in a box in his garage.
:D :thumbup:

As others have said, why wouldn't the chargers run a high tempo scheme more? Woodhead looks uncoverable and always makes plays. I know you don't want the guy getting 30 touches a week but it just looks like such a better o with him in there. If chargers started game off like that the opposing d would be gassed and then the run may work.

Just looking at a pretty standard 0.5 PPR league...

...Danny has the third most FF points scored among RBs so far.

He is no. 9 among active RBs in points per game.

Does he stay there and remain in the top 10 at the end of the season?

Run It Up said:
infantsam said:
Would you start him over the likes of Bell, Ingram,
No

Yes
while i'm more than happy w/ woodhead taking care of CJA's performance thus far, WOW.

NO all around, but i like that he's in the conversation.

ETA: maybe ingram if peyton has a chubby for khiry or he's dinged.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Just looking at a pretty standard 0.5 PPR league...

...Danny has the third most FF points scored among RBs so far.

He is no. 9 among active RBs in points per game.

Does he stay there and remain in the top 10 at the end of the season?
I just can't see why that trend doesn't run through the ROS.

Gordon doesn't have the pro game down yet, the stage is too big for him right now.

Woodhead is always in the right place on pass protect, and Rivers always knows where Woodhead will be if he needs to dump it off.

Bottom line, most of the top teams have Woodhead on the roster, he was a top value where everyone picked him.

The perception doesn't match the reality for sure -- I have a post in AC where I am getting feedback about a trade for D. Martin -- Woodhead + Diggs, etc. --- and in reality -- Martin only has 6 more points in my league than Woodhead (non PPR too) --

Rotoworld:

ESPN Chargers reporter Eric Williams expects Danny Woodhead to continue to dominate red-zone looks.

Woodhead was losing red-zone touches to Melvin Gordon earlier this season, but Gordon's fumbles quickly ended that trend. Woodhead has nine red-zone looks the last two weeks, and he scored two touchdowns in garbage time last week against the Raiders. Woodhead's touchdown upside makes him a solid RB2 even in standard scoring.

Source: ESPN

Oct 31 - 10:21 AM

Users who are viewing this thread