What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danny woodhead (2 Viewers)

Danny Woodhead (ankle) said he is back to 100 percent.

Woodhead suffered a scare when he sprained his ankle during minicamp, but he is fully healthy heading into camp. "It took a couple weeks, but now I’m as healthy as I’ve been in a long time," he said. "I feel great going into the season." A factor in both the pass game and red zone, Woodhead is a solid RB2 in PPR formats. 
Jul 25 - 12:45 PM

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego

GM Ozzie Newsome insists the Ravens would have signed Danny Woodhead regardless of Kenneth Dixon's four-game PED suspension.
Newsome admitted Dixon's ban created a greater sense of urgency, but landing Woodhead was the plan all along. "He still would have been a big part of our conversation," said Newsome. "We still would have signed him." In other words, the Ravens envision Woodhead as an important piece of their offense and not just a Band-Aid for when Dixon is out. Fantasy owners can expect Woodhead to dominate passing-down chances with Terrance West handling most of the early-down and short-yardage work early in the season.

Source: Baltimore Sun 
Mar 12 - 8:27 AM

The Baltimore Sun's Jeff Zrebiec wrote he "lost track of how many" passes Danny Woodhead caught during minicamp.

It is not surprising considering Woodhead has multiple 75-catch seasons under his belt, but it is still good to get confirmation. In addition to his large role as a pass catcher, Woodhead should be on the field often in the red zone, which is bad news for Terrance West. Even after Kenneth Dixon returns from his four-game suspension, Woodhead will likely be the Ravens back to own both in standard and PPR.

Jun 19 - 8:54 AM

Source: Baltimore Sun

What are Woodhead's owners doing going forward? Absent any new information before waivers go through, I would say he's droppable, but not a must-drop. That is, if you have the bench spot (and certainly if you have an IR slot), he could provide value eventually. But if you don't, I think you can risk it.

As for me (16-team standard, 5-man bench), I think I need to let him go. I went with a "one-RB" strategy in my draft this year: DeMarco in the first round, then waited on RB2s and got Woody, Riddick and Rex. The nature of his injury (soft-tissue re-injury) means they'll hold him out until they're absolutely sure he's healthy, and even then probably ease him back in. And, of course, it's not like he's a sure bet to stay healthy once he does come back.

With a lot of potential strong RB options on the wire (Cohen, Allen, Williams, Ellington), I can't afford to waste the spot.

Reminder...Baltimore playoff schedule:

14 - @Pitt

15 - @Cle

16 - vs Ind

Cleveland gets shredded by passing down backs (most recently Jerrick McKinnon).  We all know to start all RBs against Ind.  Yes I get his injury history but usage, upside and schedule he needs to be rostered in all formats.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like a nice schedule for Collins.
Baltimore has shown that when they are controlling a game they are willing to give all their backs touches.  The wins over Clev, Cinn, Oak and Mia their RBs all had over 35 touches.  I expect them to control the games vs Clev and Ind.

Fortunately I don't have to start him this week

It'll be interesting to see how Baltimore uses all 3 backs this wk. I believe West is healthy also

Also have Woodhead and might wait to see what he does this week, although a nice match-up with the Pack, will Harbaugh let Collins finally punch one in or will they use Woodhead? Loser in this appears to be Allen, but who the @#$% knows with Harbaugh and co. 

Why? No reason to think Woodhead won't pick up where he left off. 3/30 on the first drive. Collins doesn't even catch passes. How would they can cancel each other put? 

Gotta think they activated him to give a full load for his role.  No reason to use a roster space on someone who is only going to see a handful of snaps - particularly when they could wait.

Gotta think they activated him to give a full load for his role.  No reason to use a roster space on someone who is only going to see a handful of snaps - particularly when they could wait.
Naw.  They will probably ease him back in to start.  No need to push and risk him after such a long layoff.

Anyone still holding Collins expecting him to be a startable back at any point going forward now that Woodhead is back really needs to put the Koolaid down. We have seen how he has been used now it’s Woodhead’s turn to return to fantasy relevance. Not expecting much initially but interested to see what comes. 

Anyone still holding Collins expecting him to be a startable back at any point going forward now that Woodhead is back really needs to put the Koolaid down. We have seen how he has been used now it’s Woodhead’s turn to return to fantasy relevance. Not expecting much initially but interested to see what comes. 
Lol enjoy your 10 touches before he is back on IR

For those starting or sitting him - what’s your projections?

Obviously more valuable in a PPR, I think he gets 4 catches for 25 and 5 or less carries for another 30 yards.

He could see a much bigger load. I think it’s more probable he doesn’t. I’ve seen the cases of guys out this long needing to knock off of some rust in the first game back.

I’m fine risking Woody having a big day on my bench on his first day back, knowing he’ll help provide great flex starts through the playoffs.

Distribution of carries between all Ravens backs this weekend, especially as dictated by game script, will be intriguing.

I own Collins and Woodhead in non-PPR. Starting Collins today, but hoping Woodhead shows me enough that I can start him going forward

For those starting or sitting him - what’s your projections?

Obviously more valuable in a PPR, I think he gets 4 catches for 25 and 5 or less carries for another 30 yards.

He could see a much bigger load. I think it’s more probable he doesn’t. I’ve seen the cases of guys out this long needing to knock off of some rust in the first game back.

I’m fine risking Woody having a big day on my bench on his first day back, knowing he’ll help provide great flex starts through the playoffs.

Distribution of carries between all Ravens backs this weekend, especially as dictated by game script, will be intriguing.
Sounds about right. I can’t imagine he gets the full complement of touches his first game back. Probably won’t see my starting lineup but nice to have him as a stash in ppr. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of this backfield fell in my lap at the draft and I acquired more. Spot started Allen a few times but mostly just waited for some consolidation of production to occur. Experts seem bullish on Woodhead doing that but I'm not. There are still four guys involved.

Users who are viewing this thread