What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jared Cook - What to expect? (2 Viewers)

Phenix

Footballguy
We all know he has the path of Finley before him. All hype and has done nothing to earn it. He has unbelievable talent but never seems to do anything with it.

Now that he got the record breaking contract and he is now in a spread offense looking to make him a factor, what can we expect from him. Is he a steal at his ADP or is he just gonna flop again this year?

Vernon Davis put up the same stats as Cook last year 41/548/5 as Cook 44/523/4 and is receiving more hype then Cook due to the fact they have no WRS in SF, well Cook went to an offense that wants to use him more too, why is he not at the same expectations as Davis?

I never really put much thought into Cook as I never expected to own him, but now that I look at it I think Top 5 potential is not far off base.

64/810/8, I see him putting up Heath Miller like numbers from last year which would have made him #4 last year. I know its a new year, but just for comparison sakes.

Judging from the preseason and the talk from Bradford and the coaches I'd say the hype might actually be justified for once.

Finley has had Aaron Rodgers throwing to him his whole career. The frustration with him is justified. If he can't do it as nature's most perfectly designed red zone target in THAT offense, over several years of trying...

Cook had only a brief run as a starter with the magnificently mediocre Matt Hasselbeck in 2011, plus a few in early 2012, during which time he put up numbers so outrageous that they're still generating hype today.

The rest of the time he's been a starter, he's been saddled with Jake Locker.

This'll be his first prolonged run with a legit NFL starting QB, in an offense that appears dedicated to getting him the rock. Finley comparisons at this point aren't merely unfair -- they're unjustified.

If he fails to put up this season, then we can talk about branding him with the scarlet F. Till then, he's a world-class talent who has produced like crazy every time he's been on the field full-time with a decent QB.

I'm buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have drafted him 3 years straight. The first two as a flier 2, but this year he was my first te late. Very confident w his new home in Stl. Fischer knows what he has and that his rock solid talent and ability to grow.

Floor - 65/980/7

If you were to convince your boss to buy a machine that cost a million dollars, my guess would be you'd do everything you could to make it productive. If it failed miserably, it would be on you. This is the way I see Cook this year, as Fisher has really gone out on a limb to obtain him. If Cook fails, then Fisher fails. Since he runs the show, my guess is he'll do everything he can to make Cook succeed. He knows the guy, his work ethic, etc., and obviously sees his potential as being worth the big contract.

The Rams are not 49ers, as there's much less talent on the Rams. When S. Jackson was there, at least they had a viable running game. When the talent is compared at QB/WR/RB between the 49ers and the Rams, the 49ers are far better, which make more opportunity for Vernon Davis. Since the 49ers defense is far better than the Rams, they won't need to score as many points to win. In fantasy football, the perfect scenario is a very good offense with a really bad defense. This actually bodes well for Cook, as he'll probably get more garbage time receptions.

In conclusion, I'm high on both Vernon Davis and Cook, but because of the rest of the team, Davis will have more opportunity. I think they're both worth more than their ADP, but Cook's value is better at where's he being drafted.

If you were to convince your boss to buy a machine that cost a million dollars, my guess would be you'd do everything you could to make it productive. If it failed miserably, it would be on you. This is the way I see Cook this year, as Fisher has really gone out on a limb to obtain him. If Cook fails, then Fisher fails. Since he runs the show, my guess is he'll do everything he can to make Cook succeed. He knows the guy, his work ethic, etc., and obviously sees his potential as being worth the big contract.

The Rams are not 49ers, as there's much less talent on the Rams. When S. Jackson was there, at least they had a viable running game. When the talent is compared at QB/WR/RB between the 49ers and the Rams, the 49ers are far better, which make more opportunity for Vernon Davis. Since the 49ers defense is far better than the Rams, they won't need to score as many points to win. In fantasy football, the perfect scenario is a very good offense with a really bad defense. This actually bodes well for Cook, as he'll probably get more garbage time receptions.

In conclusion, I'm high on both Vernon Davis and Cook, but because of the rest of the team, Davis will have more opportunity. I think they're both worth more than their ADP, but Cook's value is better at where's he being drafted.
I'm not sure I'm following any of this. But at least we agree on Cook. :hifive:

I don't think people will be thinking that after this year, especially at QB and WR.

I don't think people will be thinking that after this year, especially at QB and WR.
You are a Rams fan, what is your thoughts on Cook and the STL word on the street?

They will be definitely be thinking that.

You are a Rams fan, what is your thoughts on Cook and the STL word on the street?
Un-stoppable. Givens and Quick on the outside, Tavon and Cook in the slot. Good luck covering that. Lots of screens to Pead and Richardson too. Major, major speed all over the field.

Un-stoppable. Givens and Quick on the outside, Tavon and Cook in the slot. Good luck covering that. Lots of screens to Pead and Richardson too. Major, major speed all over the field.
Love the potential of this passing game. Did Quick move ahead of Pettis?

Sounds good but who is going to get the ball to them? Bradford needs to take a huge step up for that to materialize and I am not sure he has it in him.

Sounds good but who is going to get the ball to them? Bradford needs to take a huge step up for that to materialize and I am not sure he has it in him.
Bradford played very well last year, especially considering he had the worst o-line and worst weapons in the NFL. He has looked great in the pre season so far too. Deadly accurate and very poised. Just need Jake Long and Saffold to stay healthy and give him time.

What about him says he doesn't have it in him?

What to expect... I don't know, but I'm buying the hype. I got him as my #2 TE in a 2 TE league (ppr) so I'm biased of course.

I've owned him from rookie draft in all 3 dynasties I'm in....so I'm stoked that he is in a situation where he's going to be given every chance to suceed...looking for a breakout yr with top 5 TE potential. After Graham, Gronk and Witten I'd say he could easily slide into that next tier meaning he's great value where he's being drafted!!

why start a new thread when there's like three already projecting stats for him?
I don't know, maybe because it didn't come up when I searched for it.

Why did you have to come in here just to type a smart response if you could of got your Cook fill twice already?

ETA: Also, since you are the pretty smart you can take a few clicks and see I addressed this and apologized for it previously in the other thread.

Never liked him in previous years because of his inconsistency and the QB's throwing to him, but I'm on board this year. Bradford is the most talented QB he's ever played with and I could see the Rams transforming into a more of a dynamic, pass-friendly offense this season. Also factor in that the 2 starting WR's aren't exactly big, physical WR's and are more burners/speed guys makes Cook Bradford's top "big" target as well, one of which every QB needs IMO. I'm on board. :thumbup:

Never liked him in previous years because of his inconsistency and the QB's throwing to him, but I'm on board this year. Bradford is the most talented QB he's ever played with and I could see the Rams transforming into a more of a dynamic, pass-friendly offense this season. Also factor in that the 2 starting WR's aren't exactly big, physical WR's and are more burners/speed guys makes Cook Bradford's top "big" target as well, one of which every QB needs IMO. I'm on board. :thumbup:
Quick is looking awesome and should be starting on the outside. If not game 1, then very soon. He's 6'4 225 and has a huge ceiling. I'm still trying to figure out how D's are going to cover the Rams WR's and Te's.

Givens (outside WR) - very fast outside receiver who in his 2nd year, looks very legit

Quick (outside WR)- 6-4 225. Fast, athletic and strong. Another 2nd year receiver who could burst on the scene this year.

Austin (slot) - one word... Dynamic

Cook (slot) - Huge, athletic TE who may thrive with Bradford and the Rams offense.

Speed everywhere. Who will teams' #1 CB cover? Who will they double team? Will they put a LB on Cook? Who covers Tavon? Looks like mis-match nightmares all over the field. GSOT #2?

Quick is looking awesome and should be starting on the outside. If not game 1, then very soon. He's 6'4 225 and has a huge ceiling. I'm still trying to figure out how D's are going to cover the Rams WR's and Te's.

Givens (outside WR) - very fast outside receiver who in his 2nd year, looks very legit

Quick (outside WR)- 6-4 225. Fast, athletic and strong. Another 2nd year receiver who could burst on the scene this year.

Cook (slot) - Huge, athletic TE who may thrive with Bradford and the Rams offense.

Speed everywhere. Who will teams' #1 CB cover? Who will they double team? Will they put a LB on Cook? Who covers Tavon? Looks like mis-match nightmares all over the field. GSOT #2?
Gees man, bet you think they are going undefeated the way you talk about them. lol

Don't forget your OC. He should be listed.

Wasn't aware that Quick was starting on the outside, Rotoworld(I know, not the greatest source) has blurbs about Quick only being used in select situations and behind Pettis on the depth chart.

Wasn't aware that Quick was starting on the outside, Rotoworld(I know, not the greatest source) has blurbs about Quick only being used in select situations and behind Pettis on the depth chart.
Read my post again

Read my post again
Troy Aikman

1989 1,759 yards-5.97 avg-9 TD's-18 Ints

1990 2,579 yards-6.46 avg-11 TD's-18 Ints

1991 2,754 yards-7.59 avg-11 TD's-10 Ints

1992 3,445 yards-7.28 avg-23 TD's-14 Ints

Sam Bradford

2010 3,512 yards-5.95 avg-18 TD's- 15 Ints

2011 2,164 yards-6.08 avg-6 TD's-6 Ints

2012 3,702 yards-6.72 avg-21 TD's-13 Ints

2013----Sky's the Limit

Overrated. All these "weapons" for the Rams, yet Bradford is being drafted as QB20. It doesn't add up.

Judging from the preseason and the talk from Bradford and the coaches I'd say the hype might actually be justified for once.
I got that little shortage of breath when you posted this but then I remembered it is Jared Cook, but I love the smell of the sizzle, wish I knew the steak would be good to match.

FWIW... Bradford's defense-adjusted Net Yards/Attempt -- indexed to league average of 100

2010 - 83.8

2011 - 78.5

2012 - 99.8

He's already taken a big jump. It was just obscured with the lack of weapons and the tough schedule.

Additional weapons and additional growth as a QB should mean good things for Bradford. I think you'll see additional TDs follow as a result. Still a tough schedule though.

Overrated. All these "weapons" for the Rams, yet Bradford is being drafted as QB20. It doesn't add up.
I think Bradford is a bit of a steal down there. I took him as my QB2 behind Cam and I'm fairly confident that he takes a big step this season. He's a former #1 overall pick. Those guys have a pretty solid track record.

Luck, Newton, Bradford, Stafford, JaMarcus, Alex Smith, Eli, Carson, Carr, Vick, Couch and Peyton.

Only JaMarcus, Carr, and Couch at true busts. Smith is borderline. The rest have all had some pretty amazing successes.

Also great thread and the Rams deserve more love. Lot of speed here and I think the OL will finally be solid and that will allow Bradford time to get the ball out. He was fine at Oklahoma when he was standing tall in a clean pocket. Harder to find in the NFL but he is gonna be upright more than he has in the past.

Rams players are sprinkled throughout the draft and most of the time they offer good value. Cook is a guy that is in the same tier with Rudolph and Bennett it seems, TE6/7/8/9 types off the board, Cook is a lottery ticket but what if you grab him and then 4 or 5 rounds later find something you feel good about at TE2 in case plan A doesn't quite materialize.

It's called recency bias. Too many look at Bradford's raw numbers and don't see potential, and they certainly do not consider the context in which those numbers were produced.

FWIW... Bradford's defense-adjusted Net Yards/Attempt -- indexed to league average of 100

2010 - 83.8

2011 - 78.5

2012 - 99.8

He's already taken a big jump. It was just obscured with the lack of weapons and the tough schedule.

Additional weapons and additional growth as a QB should mean good things for Bradford. I think you'll see additional TDs follow as a result. Still a tough schedule though.
Year 2 he had a high ankle sprain and ruined most of his year. He wasn't the same when he came back. Also remember, he has to learn a new offense each of his 3 years. People have no clue how difficult that is. Instead of fine tuning things, you have to completely start over. It's like taking French your Freshman year, German your Sophomore year and Spanish your Junior year.

Regarding Cook: I quite like him and he will be a great weapon. I have two concerns with him that I think will affect his overall stats: First, he is not tremendously agile, he is more of a straight line speed guy. This will limit the kinds of routes he can get open on. Second, I think the Rams are going to spread the ball around and believe that Bradford is capable of finding the open man and not locking onto one guy. So I'm not sure Cook will get the targets necessary to be top 5.

His most likely finish is in the TE6-TE10 range, but he does have top 3 upside if things break right for him.

why start a new thread when there's like three already projecting stats for him?
I don't know, maybe because it didn't come up when I searched for it.

Why did you have to come in here just to type a smart response if you could of got your Cook fill twice already?

ETA: Also, since you are the pretty smart you can take a few clicks and see I addressed this and apologized for it previously in the other thread.
It's not "a smart response" it was a question. The rules of the forum are to further discussion. There's been some significant contributions in all of the player spotlight threads and other similar types this summer. Suppose someone broke down player X's stats for the last four years, per opponent, per QB, per CB etc and you just start a new thread. Is all his research he contributed here now wasted because you didn't want to follow the rules and started a new thread instead?

Look I've started threads mistakenly myself. I don't mean to jump on you and I apologize for that. It's more than you and I don't mean to take it out on you.

There's been a bunch of that lately and it bugs me solely because all these special contributions of research I mentioned earlier are now buried. The beauty of this board is when person X posts research, person Y posts research, person Z posts some and refutes it and it carries from there. It upsets me when we start at square one so often.

Carry on, I'm no mod here, just wanted to explain is all.

2010 - 83.8

2011 - 78.5

2012 - 99.8

Year 2 he had a high ankle sprain and ruined most of his year. He wasn't the same when he came back. Also remember, he has to learn a new offense each of his 3 years. People have no clue how difficult that is. Instead of fine tuning things, you have to completely start over. It's like taking French your Freshman year, German your Sophomore year and Spanish your Junior year.
He gave Mark Clayton a career year then turned UDFA Amendola into a household name. It's nice for him to get some thoroughbreds to throw to.

I don't know that the Rams ever had the time to develop an intricate offensive scheme with their lack of talent-you speak of changing offenses and no doubt that's difficult but were they sending Clayton on every route? Or being thankful they could complete what they could? Between the pass to the slot and handoff to SJax, this has been borderline the most predictable offense in quite some time.

Not every play but if the moment is right, Sam Bradford has the greatest touch of any QB I've ever seen. I'd swear in that moment, he could throw it 60 yards and the ball would just land with no bounce. I don't think the Rams will be good enough to win too too much and be Supe champs or anything just yet. Year two of this whole new scheme should be a dramatic improvement especially if Quick has arrived. In 2013, I fully expect Bradford to hit some WRs with such a sweet touch pass it turns some heads and they steal a few wins with some big plays.

I think they're a tough defense away from stinking at running and need a thoroughbred there. I think they are an injury or two away from having a yuck OL and need to add some more quality there. Both oh so doable next offseason.

Let Sam breathe some. Let Cook learn consistency. Let Fish and Co figure out just how to use the dynamic Austin and (hopefully oh so quickly and without injury) how not to. Let Givens and Pettis either shine or just not be what they hoped. Let Bailey turn into the steal of the draft (yes I said that).

Best thing would be to just make this a learning year and bring some high expectations in year two.

After watching Cook closely last night, I am very concerned moving forward. Cook displayed an unwillingness to block when called upon, and Bradford rarely targeted him. In the second half he was a complete non factor. Did the coaches bench him? I would not blame them if they did. And this is coming from someone heavily vested in Cook. Very disappointing.

After watching Cook closely last night, I am very concerned moving forward. Cook displayed an unwillingness to block when called upon, and Bradford rarely targeted him. In the second half he was a complete non factor. Did the coaches bench him? I would not blame them if they did. And this is coming from someone heavily vested in Cook. Very disappointing.
Agreed, I'm moving on. He's riding the pine until he go on some type of streak but not until then will he be in my lineup after this week.

He got his normal 8 targets (and tied with Pettis for team high).

I imagine the team will get it turned around vs. Jax next week. If not, then I'll be concerned if continue to flounder on 10 days rest.

I'd be curious what someone saw if they watched all his routes. I know that several times he was straight double-covered -- not "help" shaded his way, but two guys actually covering him.

What's alarming is that it's looking like the Rams have whiffed entirely at WR1 and possibly WR2. Quick, Givens, Austin, Pettis don't look remotely dangerous with the ocassional exception of Givens on a deep route.

I drafted Witten as my TE1 and Cook as a Flex and tradable commodity. Next week vs. Jacksonville will hopefully see an uptick in his production and I'll start looking to unload him on someone... I've got a couple of other guys that fit better in the Flex spot. I'm not worried about Cook yet, but if he doesn't do significantly better next week, I will be.

I would like to drop him for rb or wr depth as I have Julius Thomas. He's still better then what some of the teams are starting in my 12 team league. ... looks like I need to try and get some deals going. Rams as a whole look crappy going forward

Craig_MiamiFL said:
He got his normal 8 targets (and tied with Pettis for team high).

I imagine the team will get it turned around vs. Jax next week. If not, then I'll be concerned if continue to flounder on 10 days rest.
Really 8 targets? That surprises me. I must have missed a couple of of throws, or are the several throws into the turf where he was the nearest player counted in that total? If memory serves me I recall 6 I would label as targets, he dropped two, and a third was a complete fluke that should have been an interception.

The lack of protection has a direct impact on all the receivers production, so given Cook's complete inability to block anyone I guess there is no concern that they will keep him in to block. I do agree that if he doesn't bounce back against the Jags then us Cook owners have a big problem.

He was getting his looks, but it also looked like the 9ers were giving help to whoever was covering him, he had two defenders around him on most routes he ran. Plus the 49er LB's played extremely well in that game, even the guy filling in for Willis. Cook really needs these other receivers on the team to step up though cause as fast as he is, his routes are terrible. He seems to round off a lot of them. He may be extremely fast for his size but he isn't the most agile TE in the league. Plus schottenheimers scheme was pretty unimaginitive. Lots of things not going right for Cook and the Rams right now. I'm losing faith every day that schotty is still calling the plays

Pretty fierce!

Rams TEs were 8 for 80 and a TD so it looks like Fisher was determined to get TE production-cook or not

Users who are viewing this thread