What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jared Cook - What to expect? (2 Viewers)

If Jordy is even 1/2 as washed up as we think Cook could be in for a career year. People talking about Kittle so much but Cook can easily outpace him and others I think.
Yeah I feel like Cook is such an underrated commodity right now. I expected him to be $14 in the subscriber contest. I actually may try to trade Engram in my redraft league and snag Cook instead off the WW

Cook should have a year similar to last year and that isn't a bad thing for his owners.  He will probably not win you leagues but he is not going to lose them for you either. 

Raiders TE Jared Cook caught 9-of-12 targets for 180 yards in Monday's Week 1 loss to the Raiders.

Cook was arguably the only reason Oakland managed to stay competitive. A clear favorite of Derek Carr's, Cook was surprisingly treated as an in-line receiver, even lining up in the slot at times. An early best ball favorite and undervalued TE2 with TE1 upside, Cook need be picked off waivers immediately if he's still available.

Sep 11 - 1:53 AM

Thoughts going forward?  

Seems a safe bet to finish top 10, but holy mother of inconsistency.  

Thoughts going forward?  

Seems a safe bet to finish top 10, but holy mother of inconsistency.  
IMO, you have to figure out Gruden's game plan for the week.  The numbers will fluctuate for that reason.  Are you willing to accept season-long production, or do you want to win your weekly match-up? 

Jared Cook - TE -  Raiders

Jared Cook caught both of his two targets for 20 yards in the Raiders' Week 9 loss to the 49ers.

Cook finished tied for fourth in targets on a night where the Raiders struggled to move the ball with Carr constantly under duress. It was a disappointing performance for Cook, who had higher expectations with Amari Cooper shipped to Dallas, but Carr has been looking Cook's way for most of the season, so the veteran tight end should bounce back in Week 10's matchup against the Chargers. Cook is a low-end TE1.

Nov 2 - 12:27 AM

Oakland is a train wreck, hard to trust anyone week to week.  He may give you 100 and a TD, he may give you 2 and 20. Neither is going to surprise me at this point.

Speaking Tuesday, Raiders coach Jon Gruden said he would like to re-sign impending free agent Jared Cook but knows the "market for his services will be competitive."

Oftentimes a little hedge like that will mean a team is willing to let a player move on, but Cook was the Raiders' top receiving threat in 2018. We assume Gruden will make a genuine effort to re-sign him, but he is correct that 32-year-old (in April) Cook will have plenty of interest on the open market.

Source: Scott Bair on Twitter 

Jan 22 - 1:49 PM

If he's not on the Raiders, it's hard to like him at all.  If he's on the Raiders--I'm not sure I like him anyways.

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports the Saints are close to signing free agent Jared Cook.

This is an obvious fit for Cook, who replaces a retired Ben Watson. He'll slot in ahead of Josh Hill and Dan Arnold as the Saints' receiving tight end. Cook set career highs in Oakland last year and gets a quarterback upgrade in Drew Brees. Cook's target share takes a hit in New Orleans, but this is his best possible landing spot.

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

Mar 20, 2019, 5:50 PM

Cook signed with NOS.     Rotoworld Link 

Saints signed TE Jared Cook, formerly of the Raiders.

The deal is not yet official, but both ProFootballTalk and NFL Network have reported it is going to happen. Cook set career-highs last season with the Raiders and will now play a prime role in a Drew Brees-led offense. Saints tight ends have mostly disappointed since Jimmy Graham left for Seattle, but Cook will be a good bet for a TE1 campaign.

Cook signed with NOS.     Rotoworld Link 

Saints signed TE Jared Cook, formerly of the Raiders.

The deal is not yet official, but both ProFootballTalk and NFL Network have reported it is going to happen. Cook set career-highs last season with the Raiders and will now play a prime role in a Drew Brees-led offense. Saints tight ends have mostly disappointed since Jimmy Graham left for Seattle, but Cook will be a good bet for a TE1 campaign.
Best case scenario?

Best case scenario?
My projection is TE 8-9 range based on TD's

Kelce will still be top dog followed by Kittle & Ertz.  Depends on how Engram does without OBJ & if Enbron continues his efforts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They're pouring water on this fire over on the FA Signing thread.
I am not a fan of Cook at all.

However my main problem with him has been his low catch rate, which is an area where he has improved a lot the last two seasons.

I project Cook to have 90 targets 58 receptions 742 yards 3 TD which is 150 points in PPR which would have finished as TE 7 last year.

As Anarchy and Birdie point out in the other thread Cook needs more TD to compete with the top TE. He had 6 TD last year which allowed him to finish as TE 5 last season. 6 TD was a career high for Cook. 

Cook has 425 career receptions at this point yet only 25 TD.

hispeedthinmint said:
Touchdowns are always unpredictable. He could blow up
While I agree TD is the hardest thing to predict and being with Brees could be an upgrade in that regard. You also have a long career of Cook to look at and he hasn't scored much.

He does seem to be aging well though as he has been better since leaving the Rams and Jeff Fisher. Not really a surprise there.

The biggest blemish on his recent performance was with the Packers. He was hurt that year though.

Best case scenario?
Suspect you''re looking for projections.  My first take was that you were stating that New Orleans might be the best landing spot, which it well could be.  I like the signing as a Brees owner and believe it to be ideal for Cook as well.

NBC Sports' Peter King reports Jared Cook will still sign with the Saints despite renewed interest from the Patriots following Rob Gronkowski’s retirement.

Cook was strongly linked with the Saints by multiple reports last week, but he has yet to sign. That leaves the door open for the Patriots to jump in, but King reports Cook "will not reconsider his decision." With Cook out of the picture, the free agent market is bare at tight end, but there are several high-end talents available in the draft. The Iowa duo of T.J. Hockenson and Noah Fant would make a lot of sense for New England if either falls to them in the first round.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: Football Morning in America

Mar 25, 2019, 7:47 AM

D Carr had 63 more pass attempts than D Brees (553 to 489) with J Cook getting the most receptions.
D Brees would have to repeat his 2017 numbers with J Cook becoming his 3rd option to get a shot at
repeating his numbers. 

I'm not convinced there will be enough targets in NO for Cook to sniff his numbers from last year. Cook was a huge value in 2018 because he was drafted late and ended up leading the team in targets and receptions. This year you have to pay for his 2018 production plus the perception that he'll light it up in NO. Too expensive IMO.

D Carr had 63 more pass attempts than D Brees (553 to 489) with J Cook getting the most receptions.
D Brees would have to repeat his 2017 numbers with J Cook becoming his 3rd option to get a shot at
repeating his numbers. 

While Cook did have a career best last season in TDs targets and catch rate last year, being a clear case of regression to the mean if he had stayed with the Raiders the Saints are a better overall offense.

The Saints were 3rd in red zone opportunities last year. The Raiders were 27th.

I'm not convinced there will be enough targets in NO for Cook to sniff his numbers from last year. Cook was a huge value in 2018 because he was drafted late and ended up leading the team in targets and receptions. This year you have to pay for his 2018 production plus the perception that he'll light it up in NO. Too expensive IMO.
As far as targets he has placed for 80 to 100 the last 3 seasons. His targets were similarly high with the Rams before that.

They do not have Ingram.

As far as targets he has placed for 80 to 100 the last 3 seasons. His targets were similarly high with the Rams before that.

They do not have Ingram.
True about Ingram, but he only had 21 receptions last year. I suppose the upside people see in Cook with NO is Watson 2015, but they didn't have Kamara or Thomas. I guess we'll find out if the Saints transitioned away from TE because of the addition of Thomas and Kamara or if it's as simple as their TEs were trash. IF Cook somehow equals his totals from his Raiders years it will have to come at the expense of Kamara and Thomas. Those two combined for 2/3rds of Brees' total completions. I see Kamara's totals going up without Ingram, so perhaps Thomas sees a significant regression.

The Saints were a very balanced offense last year and Ingram only played in 12 games. He averaged 10 rushing attempts per game.

While Murray is capable I dont think he is as good as Ingram. So the Saints may throw more than last year.

I own him in FFPC with 1.5ppr TE. Solid hold for me (not that anyone has sent me a single offer). I have Kelce and plan on using my 1.9 pick on one of the rookie TEs unless amazing value drops. I like Cook as a short term flex play this year in 1.5ppr TE

I own him in FFPC with 1.5ppr TE. Solid hold for me (not that anyone has sent me a single offer). I have Kelce and plan on using my 1.9 pick on one of the rookie TEs unless amazing value drops. I like Cook as a short term flex play this year in 1.5ppr TE
It's difficult to draft TEs in FFPC dynasty leagues based on the nature of the setup. Yes, it's nice when you hit on a TE in the premium scoring, but the typical 2-3 years that rookie TEs take to develop isn't practical in a format like the FFPC, which is geared much more toward win-now strategies. (The buy-in is typically high enough that I don't want to waste it on a rebuilding year.) The 20-man rosters make every slot that much more valuable, and if you've spent a first-rounder on a non-producing rookie TE who's clogging your roster during bye weeks, it hurts. I've found it preferable to pluck a young TE with a third- or fourth-rounder during the rookie/vet draft, or try to trade for a second-year TE who another owner thinks is a "bust" because he wasn't productive during his rookie year.

It's difficult to draft TEs in FFPC dynasty leagues based on the nature of the setup. Yes, it's nice when you hit on a TE in the premium scoring, but the typical 2-3 years that rookie TEs take to develop isn't practical in a format like the FFPC, which is geared much more toward win-now strategies. (The buy-in is typically high enough that I don't want to waste it on a rebuilding year.) The 20-man rosters make every slot that much more valuable, and if you've spent a first-rounder on a non-producing rookie TE who's clogging your roster during bye weeks, it hurts. I've found it preferable to pluck a young TE with a third- or fourth-rounder during the rookie/vet draft, or try to trade for a second-year TE who another owner thinks is a "bust" because he wasn't productive during his rookie year.
Totally agree. In fact I drafted rookie Hurst TE BAL late in last year's startup draft and he didn’t make my roster cut down this year. Might be double thinking things depending on who drops   

Totally agree. In fact I drafted rookie Hurst TE BAL late in last year's startup draft and he didn’t make my roster cut down this year. Might be double thinking things depending on who drops   
Yeah, hard to put value on a Balt TE when Flacco is gone and Hurst showed little (inj).   I expect Cook to be #3 target in NOS, but Tre'Quan or Kirkwood both could pass him for targets.  They both had some good development, but they are needed to really show more for the Passing game to excel.  Cook can open things up for them too. 

Disclaimer:  I own Cook, Hurst, Olsen and Njoku at TE.  

Saints TE coach Dan Campbell said the team will "do what [Jared Cook] does best" when using him on offense.

When asked about dusting off some of Jimmy Graham's old plays from his time with the Saints, Campbell said New Orleans will "use those plays," but also "test" Cook and "see everything he can do." Graham of course spiked double-digit touchdowns in three of the five seasons he spent donned in black and gold, including leading the league in targets inside the 10-yard line in 2013. If the Saints are willing to let Cook iron out his blocking skills at an every-down capacity, the grizzled 32-year-old has a terrific shot to post top-seven production at his position.

SOURCE: Luke Johnson on Twitter

May 11, 2019, 5:20 PM ET

I've got him in 1 dynasty and I'm optimistic.  I'm also not opposed to selling if someone's interested

As someone who drafted Cook years ago and Is currently still on my Dynasty roster, I will be looking to move him as soon as he shows any type of value where I can get the most for him..... With that being said, I been trying to do this since he was with GB. 

Moral of the story is- if he’s depth for you, move him for something of need on your roster

if he is your starter, expect a few great games and a bunch of average to subpar numbers. 

I hope he proves me wrong. 

i think of him more like Watson than Graham. he's not as athletic as JG even toward the end but the saints were able to get good numbers for Watson. in 2015, Watson had 74 receptions with NO. Watson wasn't much of a blocker either, like Cook. they can use Cook similarly and get good production.

He's been the 5th and 6th te off the board in my drafts this year...i'm not sure i'm seeing great value there
I agree, but I took him in Rnd 15 a few weeks ago (Start up 12 Team).  He has been drawing moderate Trade interest, but nothing to meet my interest.... I have Njoku, Olsen & Hurst so I can wait and not worry. 

If NOS opens some seam routes for Cook, I could see his TD numbers elevate some.  "IF"....  Big "IF". 

For J Cook to be the third option he would have to pass T Ginn. Spring time coach speak doesn't equate to 
production. I could see T Ginn, J Cook, and T Smith all being within 200 yards and 3 TD's of each other.

One game is 5/70 the next 2/20 and TD's are not predictable.

Jimmy Graham couldnt replicate his New Orleans self anywhere else. So theres a theory at least the same thing could happen to Cook in reverse order. Except not everybody is Jimmy Graham. Brees doesnt get anything amazing out of regular tight ends.

So, I mean, whatever.

FBG Email post on Cook: 

2. NO - TE Jared Cook's role to expand?

Source: The Times-Picayune - Luke Johnson

New Orleans Saints TE Jared Cook will be given the chance to show 'everything he can do' for the offense, according to tight ends coach Dan Campbell. 'The guy is over 30 and he still runs like the wind. He can absolutely smoke,' Campbell said. 'He's got 35-inch arms, he is long, and he is fast.'

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

We've seen Cook finish as a top-5 fantasy tight end like he did last season for the Raiders. This is a much better passing game with the Saints, so projecting him for similar output is not outlandish. We like where he's going off the board right now. Cook has a current ADP of TE8 (6.10) in 12-team PPR leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread