Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Phenix

Jared Cook - What to expect?

20 hours ago, TripItUp said:

In redrafts, Cook is my fallback plan at current ADPs.  Great value.

He's been the 5th and 6th te off the board in my drafts this year...i'm not sure i'm seeing great value there

4 minutes ago, killface said:

He's been the 5th and 6th te off the board in my drafts this year...i'm not sure i'm seeing great value there

I agree, but I took him in Rnd 15 a few weeks ago (Start up 12 Team).  He has been drawing moderate Trade interest, but nothing to meet my interest.... I have Njoku, Olsen & Hurst so I can wait and not worry. 

If NOS opens some seam routes for Cook, I could see his TD numbers elevate some.  "IF"....  Big "IF". 

For J Cook to be the third option he would have to pass T Ginn. Spring time coach speak doesn't equate to 
production. I could see T Ginn, J Cook, and T Smith all being within 200 yards and 3 TD's of each other.

One game is 5/70 the next 2/20 and TD's are not predictable.

Jimmy Graham couldnt replicate his New Orleans self anywhere else. So theres a theory at least the same thing could happen to Cook in reverse order. Except not everybody is Jimmy Graham. Brees doesnt get anything amazing out of regular tight ends.

So, I mean, whatever.

FBG Email post on Cook: 

2. NO - TE Jared Cook's role to expand?

Source: The Times-Picayune - Luke Johnson

New Orleans Saints TE Jared Cook will be given the chance to show 'everything he can do' for the offense, according to tight ends coach Dan Campbell. 'The guy is over 30 and he still runs like the wind. He can absolutely smoke,' Campbell said. 'He's got 35-inch arms, he is long, and he is fast.'

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

We've seen Cook finish as a top-5 fantasy tight end like he did last season for the Raiders. This is a much better passing game with the Saints, so projecting him for similar output is not outlandish. We like where he's going off the board right now. Cook has a current ADP of TE8 (6.10) in 12-team PPR leagues.

46 minutes ago, Birdie048 said:

FBG Email post on Cook: 

2. NO - TE Jared Cook's role to expand?

Source: The Times-Picayune - Luke Johnson

New Orleans Saints TE Jared Cook will be given the chance to show 'everything he can do' for the offense, according to tight ends coach Dan Campbell. 'The guy is over 30 and he still runs like the wind. He can absolutely smoke,' Campbell said. 'He's got 35-inch arms, he is long, and he is fast.'

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

We've seen Cook finish as a top-5 fantasy tight end like he did last season for the Raiders. This is a much better passing game with the Saints, so projecting him for similar output is not outlandish. We like where he's going off the board right now. Cook has a current ADP of TE8 (6.10) in 12-team PPR leagues.

D Carr had more passing yards then D Brees(4049 to 3992). FBG's is saying they like him as TE8.
It would be outlandish to expect J Cook to be D Brees 2nd option or D Brees to pass for 5000+ yards.
I'm not going to give away paid content, but no one at FBG's is projecting him to have an expanded role.

54 minutes ago, nightmare said:

It would be outlandish to expect J Cook to be D Brees 2nd option or D Brees to pass for 5000+ yards.

Do you mean NOT outlandish? It's unlikely for Cook to emerge as the 2nd option outside of injury, but Brees has passed for 5,000 a few times.

And just a side note, if Brees hadn't sat out the last game he would have had more yards than Carr.

Edited by cloppbeast

3 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

Do you mean NOT outlandish? It's unlikely for Cook to emerge as the 2nd option outside of injury, but Brees has passed for 5,000 a few times.

And just a side note, if Brees hadn't sat out the last game he would have had more yards than Carr.

Those 5000 yard seasons are over. The Saints have a good defense and running game. O. K. D Brees passes for 250 the last game.
That 200 yard difference still doesn't make the Saints that much better passing. I think the Saints do not want D Brees passing for 5000.
D Brees will still throw 25+ TD's compared to ?? for Carr. This will be J Cooks 5th team in 11 years, . His chances of finishing at TE5 are no
better then A hooper, H Henry, D Njoku, and K Rudolph. These guys could all score within 30 points of each other(PPR) Which is TE6 to 11. 

The top 3 are Kelce, Ertz and Kittle. They'll score 190+ (PPR) The next tier is E Engram, OJ Howard,
and E Ebron scoring 170+ or close to 170. The rest could be 150 to 170. 

Jimmy Graham had 1200 yards and 16 TDs in his best season in New Orleans.

Cook absolutely has a Tier1 ceiling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nightmare said:

The top 3 are Kelce, Ertz and Kittle. They'll score 190+ (PPR) The next tier is E Engram, OJ Howard,
and E Ebron scoring 170+ or close to 170. The rest could be 150 to 170. 

Like Bill Murray just said, Cook could pull a rabbit out of a hat. Out of the 150-170 range tight ends, hes the only one with a chance to be Jimmy Graham. Not even trying to say it's likely, but you have to factor the possibility into your projections.

1 hour ago, cloppbeast said:

Like Bill Murray just said, Cook could pull a rabbit out of a hat. Out of the 150-170 range tight ends, hes the only one with a chance to be Jimmy Graham. Not even trying to say it's likely, but you have to factor the possibility into your projections.

You guys can think that, but I'm disagreeing. you better have a backup plan if you think he's going to put up tier one numbers.
It's good if you let J Cook fall to you in a redraft, but if your reaching for him 2 rounds you could get burned.

1 minute ago, nightmare said:

You guys can think that, but I'm disagreeing. you better have a backup plan if you think he's going to put up tier one numbers.

We didn't say this, I said he has a Tier1 ceiling.  That's a very different statement than the one I bolded above.

2 minutes ago, nightmare said:

It's good if you let J Cook fall to you in a redraft, but if your reaching for him 2 rounds you could get burned.

At worst you just get a regular tight end. Low risk to me.