Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
austinball

DeSean Jackson

Still think the Browns could just blow everyone's doors off, and make the deal.

I hope they do. I'd feel a little better about the Raiders chances to land Watkins.

DeSean Jackson on 49ers' radar if price comes down

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

The San Francisco 49ers have been connected to DeSean Jackson ever since reports emerged that the Philadelphia Eagles were fielding trade inquiries in mid-March.

As Jackson embarked on Day 2 of his visit with the Washington Redskins, a report emanating from NBC Washington suggested the 49ers have "thrown their hat into the ring" for the free-agent wide receiver.

Our understanding, however, is that the 49ers remain very much on the periphery.

When coach Jim Harbaugh spoke of his need for a playmaking wide receiver at last week's NFL Annual Meeting, the description sounded a lot like a Jackson scouting report.

The primary roadblocks remain asking price and salary cap.

According to NFL Media's Albert Breer, the 49ers' cursory interest won't reach legitimacy unless Jackson accepts a major discount. Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area has echoed that sentiment.

The Niners have less than $5 million in available cap space and a quarterback soon to be cashing in with a contract in the range of $15-20 million annually.

Aside from those obvious complications, the 49ers are leery of upsetting the financial pecking order of established stars such as Patrick Willis, Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree -- with the latter soon requiring an extension of his own.

The bottom line is 49ers fans shouldn't get their hopes up for Jackson's return to the Bay Area. For a wideout likely to surpass Eric Decker's five-year, $36.25 million contract, a "prove-it" contract with San Francisco is closer to a pipe dream than reality.

In the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast" the guys do the news, open the mailbag and play "Win Wess' Toaster."

What doesn't ring true for me is that Jackson was owed $30 million on a contract with 3 years left on it and nobody would give Philly a 7th rounder in exchange for it when Philly tried and failed to find a trade partner. So now they are going to offer him Mike Wallace money? Any number of teams Jackson's agent is name dropping would have had him at cut rate for a cheap pick. I'm buying he gets Eric Decker money and no more.

You could be right. He comes with baggage that Decker doesn't have. He's a better player though, no doubt.

but his point, which is a salient one, is that a team could have had him at $10MM per season by giving up a late pick, and no one ponied up - and now people are throwing out numbers that exceed $10MM per season.

Hard to say. But it's also worth noting that before offering Jackson a deal as a FA, teams can spend some extended face time with him and figure out a comfort level on the character stuff. That usually doesn't happen prior to a trade. Much easier to get a feel for him as a person on a FA visit.

The Raiders have been reported doing background checks on Jackson weeks ago. I suspect many other teams did likewise. That doesn't speak to the comfort level of the formal meet and greet and players taking him to the club for wining and dining. But all that is more likely just dog and pony stuff. Teams do their homework on guys before they walk in the door.

Absolutely. Just sayin it might make a difference considering the specific nature of the concerns surrounding Jackson.

Dianna Marie Russini ‏@NBCdianna 17m

Per sources: DeSean Jackson has 2 teams making offers. I'm told Cleveland Browns are 1 and they are going hard with offer

Dianna Marie Russini ‏@NBCdianna 17 mins

As you all know...former Redskins Offensive Coordinator Kyle Shanahan is now the OC in Cleveland. Redskins vs. Browns vs. another team

Dianna Marie Russini ‏@NBCdianna 15 mins

Redskins source: "If DeSean Jackson gets on the plane...its going to be hard to sign him. He's at the Park now. They can't let him leave"

Dianna Marie Russini ‏@NBCdianna 13 mins

Per source: San Francisco has now thrown their hat in the ring for DeSean Jackson

"Sources" in this case sounds like Jackson's agent putting things out there, which has been done by both sides in the last 48 hours. It's money haggling, looking for leverage.

6yrs/65m/30m guaranteed

Hope that's a joke.

:moneybag:

not really joking. probably would end up being a 4yr deal, last 2yrs loaded. i do think that's the ballpark of guaranteed $$ it will take though.

edit: of course he'll want to redo the deal in yr3.

Then why wouldn't a team trade a 7th and keep him on his old deal?

@TarikCSN: DeSean Jackson has left Redskins Park, a league source tells me. He was there for about three hours of meetings. #RedskinsTalk

@AdamSchefter: Redskins and DeSean Jackson still havent discussed contract. Team to watch: SF. 49ers have "real but guarded interest in DJax, per source

@Jeff_McLane: DeSean Jackson may have left Redskins Park w/o a contract but @RapSheet reporting he's staying nearby in the hopes something gets done.

Per sources: DeSean Jackson has 2 teams making offers. I'm told Cleveland Browns are 1 and they are going hard with offer

As you all know...former Redskins Offensive Coordinator Kyle Shanahan is now the OC in Cleveland. Redskins vs. Browns vs. another team

Redskins source: "If DeSean Jackson gets on the plane...its going to be hard to sign him. He's at the Park now. They can't let him leave"

Per source: San Francisco has now thrown their hat in the ring for DeSean Jackson

"Sources" in this case sounds like Jackson's agent putting things out there, which has been done by both sides in the last 48 hours. It's money haggling, looking for leverage.

6yrs/65m/30m guaranteed

Hope that's a joke.

not really joking. probably would end up being a 4yr deal, last 2yrs loaded. i do think that's the ballpark of guaranteed $$ it will take though.

Exactly. I find those numbers extremely difficult to believe. A team cuts a guy for various reasons unrelated to money and you're going give him more money? SMH.

6yrs/65m/30m guaranteed

Hope that's a joke.

was he set to get 30M guaranteed $$ over the next 2yrs?

6yrs/65m/30m guaranteed

Hope that's a joke.

Exactly. I find those numbers extremely difficult to believe. A team cuts a guy for various reasons unrelated to money and you're going give him more money? SMH.

you could be right. it was meant to be more of an indictment on desean's interests, not necessarily what a team would offer.

in case you haven't heard, im not a desean fan. im the in the minority of skins fans who dont like the idea of adding him. maybe my out of the ### numbers off the cuff $$ weren't the best way to do that.

was only meant as a starter to get everybody to throw some $$ out there.

6yrs/65m/30m guaranteed

Hope that's a joke.

nope it was for 3 years, and I think it was a little over $30 mill but let's not split hairs.

6yrs/65m/30m guaranteed

Hope that's a joke.

It was a bad deal for the team but not that bad. Wow.

How can DeSean Jackson get back at Eagles? Easy -- by being an adult

Gregg Doyel

His character has been assassinated, but now comes the easy part for DeSean Jackson: Proving the Eagles wrong. All he has to do is show up on time, work hard when he gets there and stay out of trouble when he leaves. You know: Be an adult.

The bar's low to prove the Eagles were wrong to release him. So he damn well better clear it.

None of that, or what follows, is written in a mocking or taunting tone. I don't leave things unsaid, so this isn't a subtle dig at DeSean Jackson or an unspoken suggestion that he can't possibly prove the Eagles wrong because he's a malcontent or a jerk or a gang-banger or whatever it is some people want to believe.

The point is clear and obvious and fair and even easy: If you've been wronged, DeSean Jackson, prove it. Never in the history of sports has a player had so much to gain at such little cost. Nobody's asking Jackson to prove the Eagles wrong by catching 100 passes for 1,500 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2014. That would be a career year for a guy whose best numbers in those three categories came in 2013: 82 catches, 1,332 yards, nine touchdowns. It would be unfair to tell Jackson -- or any player -- that to shut up the naysayers, all he has to do is something he's never done.

In fact, production on the field isn't the issue here at all. Jackson can't sign with the Redskins or Jets or whoever and lay a 50-catch, 600-yard, two-touchdown egg -- that's no way to prove he was wronged -- but ultimately his redemption, as was the case with his Eagles release, isn't about production. The Eagles didn't dump him because he can't play.

They dumped him because he can't play nice.

So that's the bar for DeSean Jackson. It's pathetically low, really, like asking an adult to step over a curb. Live your life with decency, DeSean, and you win. And in so many ways, he has lived his life with decency. The reports are legion of things Jackson has done for kids who have been bullied, like this one from 2011 and this one from 2013.

At the least, however, Jackson reportedly had issues with work ethic in Philadelphia, occasionally showing up late and not giving an honest day's work after he got there. There are other issues, nickel-and-dime stuff like the time Jackson celebrated a touchdown in a high school All-American game by flipping (and fumbling) before he got to the end zone, a mistake that shook him up so badly he essentially repeated it with the Eagles, nonchalantly dropping the ball after scoring -- but before actually scoring. Here's a video of both plays.

That stuff is infuriating but not the reason a team with an explosive offense would dump a Pro Bowl receiver in his prime. Why did the Eagles dump Jackson? We don't know, though we suspect. Jackson was released a few hours after this report in a New Jersey newspaper about his reputed gang affiliations, including some oblique, possibly irrelevant connections to a pair of gang-related murders since 2010.

Is that why the Eagles released Jackson, because of those gang connections? We don't know. We suspect. Did the Eagles want to get rid of Jackson so badly that they leaked that story to the New Jersey newspaper to provide cover for when they dumped a Pro Bowl receiver for nothing in return? We don't know. But we suspect.

What has happened to Jackson has to have been hard -- to have your name dragged through the mud and even blood of gang-related murder -- and then to have been dumped in return for absolutely nothing.

But what happens next ought to be simple. Sign somewhere. Show up when everyone else shows up. Work as hard as everyone else works. Go home. Stay out of trouble. Wake up the next day and do it again.

And again. And again.

Sticking it to the Eagles ought to be the easiest thing DeSean Jackson has ever done.

Edited by Faust

i like that article

i like that article

IMO, it will depend on what type of contract he gets. If he gets as much or more than what he was going to get in Philadelphia, I don't see things changing too much. It would be rewarding the same behaviour. Now if he gets an incentive based 1-year show me type contract then I could see him being somewhat contrite about the situation but, from what has happened in the past, I don't get contrite from Jackson.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Albert Breer confirms the 49ers reached out to free agent DeSean Jackson about a visit after he was cut by the Eagles, but that "nothing has been set up since."

Per Breer, communication between the sides is "on hold" as D-Jax waits for a resolution to his Redskins visit. It's unclear if the 49ers are next in line if Jackson leaves Washington, D.C. without a deal, but it's a good bet.
Related: Redskins, 49ers

Rotoworld:

Free agent DeSean Jackson will remain in Washington through Tuesday evening.

D-Jax's official visit ended Tuesday afternoon, but the sides are still trying to hammer out a deal. On one hand, it's a good sign Jackson doesn't want to leave town. On the other, the more time that passes without an agreement, the more likely D-Jax is to begin making other visits.
Related: Redskins

@AdamSchefter: Filed to ESPN: Redskins and former Eagles WR DeSean Jackson are expected to reach agreement Tuesy night on multi-year contract, per sources.

Where all the #Redskins #DONEDEAL people at? Maybe those premature Garcon + DJax threads can get locked now?

Bump.

@MikeGarafolo: Three-year deal for DeSean Jackson with the Redskins. And it's apparently a whopper. We'll see what the numbers wind up being.

Where all the #Redskins #DONEDEAL people at? Maybe those premature Garcon + DJax threads can get locked now?

Bump.

:lmao:

I bet Griffin continues to favor Garcon; but, again, Garcon, Jax, Reed, Roberts, Morris looks great.

the O is gonna be crazy to watch. good god.

Rotoworld take:

Redskins agreed to terms with WR DeSean Jackson, formerly of the Eagles, on a three-year contract.

The Redskins have just $6.5 million in salary-cap space, so the majority of Jackson's 2014 earnings should come in the form of a signing bonus. He's highly unlikely to match or eclipse the $10.7 million he was scheduled to earn from the Eagles. From a fantasy standpoint, it's a mixed landing spot. D-Jax will have a play-making quarterback in Robert Griffin III, but has to contend with another No. 1 receiver in Pierre Garcon. Jackson isn't going to come anywhere close to the 82/1,332/9 line he posted in 2013, and won't be a lock for 1,000 yards. For the Redskins, however, it's a coup for a team that hurt for weapons outside of Garcon and Jordan Reed last season. Jay Gruden's offense just got a whole lot better.
Related: Eagles

You know what that sound is? Pressure to win NOW.....for a 3-13 10-6 team just over a year ago.

considering its the nfc least, i think they'll be ok.

@MikeGarafolo: Three-year deal for DeSean Jackson with the Redskins. And it's apparently a whopper. We'll see what the numbers wind up being.

I've seen 3 years 24 million with 16 million guaranteed.

NFC East:

Redskins vs Eagles for 1/2.

And then Cowboys/Giants for 3/4.

I could easily see the opposite happening.

We are screwed. ...making a splash in free agency always works out great for the Skins.

NFC East:

Agree it's wide open.

The deal is worth $24 million, including $16 million guaranteed, sources told Schefter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/04/02/desean-jackson-joins-the-redskins-roundup-reaction-thread/

I guess all the stories about $9-$10 a year were BS. Looks like the recent release of the older gang stories drove down the price.

Edited by fatness

NFC East:

Agree it's wide open.

It's become impossible to tell who's going to win that division each year.

I bet Griffin continues to favor Garcon; but, again, Garcon, Jax, Reed, Roberts, Morris looks great.

RG111 is the key - needs to make some big strides this year.

Edited by Tool

Their O-line still needs work. Griffin needs all the practice time he can get. Reed has to keep from getting concussions. They're not a juggernaut offense, just noticeably better than they were. They still have a ways to go.

Stay medium.

NFC East:

Agree it's wide open.

Will be much more interesting now for sure.

NFC East:

Agree it's wide open.

Will be much more interesting now for sure.

With each team being less-than-stocked from top to bottom, one or 2 injuries can drop a team doing well right to the bottom of the division. If Eli goes down, or Romo, or Griffin, or Foles, their team is pretty screwed.

We are screwed. ...making a splash in free agency always works out great for the Skins.

Hey, it's kind of like the Eagles deal he had.

Except about $6 million less.