What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeSean Jackson (4 Viewers)

well as a cowboys fans i hate washtingon fans and philly fans

which i hate more depends on which team is better, i usually hate that team more

in this case i wish Desean had landed somewhere outside our division
With the safeties you have and the overrated CB's, I don't blame you.
How is the Eagles' airtight secondary looking this year?
Haha...Our D is gonna be brutal again. Hope the O can keep up.
Every defense in the NFL East was brutal last year. In past years NFC East teams used to have some really tough defenses, and you'd often see division games where a 4-9 team beat a 9-4 team 13-11 in snow. Now what you see is NFC East defensive backs chasing opponents to end zones.
True, but I think every D in the division has been changing their schemes the last 4 years or so. Except the Giants still run a 4-3.

Not an excuse, but probably a factor. And the DB's overall on every team have been subpar.

which i hate more depends on which team is better, i usually hate that team more

Every defense in the NFL East was brutal last year. In past years NFC East teams used to have some really tough defenses, and you'd often see division games where a 4-9 team beat a 9-4 team 13-11 in snow. Now what you see is NFC East defensive backs chasing opponents to end zones.
True, but I think every D in the division has been changing their schemes the last 4 years or so. Except the Giants still run a 4-3.

Not an excuse, but probably a factor. And the DB's overall on every team have been subpar.
at least the cowboys shed the dead weight of ware and spencer and hatcher on their D-line....

:wall:

hopefully we draft another mediocre tight end round 2 to assist our defense

Last edited by a moderator:

at least the cowboys shed the dead weight of ware and spencer and hatcher on their D-line....

:wall:

hopefully we draft another mediocre tight end round 2 to assist our defense
No way. Trade back and take a guard, but make sure it's the end of round 1. Ya know, for that extra year in the contract.

And none of the defenses really got significantly better this offseason.
Isnt ours the only one that didnt lose a starter?

Dallas loses Ware

Washington Fletcher

Giants Tuck

Off the top of my head those teams not only lost a player but they lost their best players, captains and leaders.
Fletcher was a liability on the field last year for the Redskins, and far from the best defensive player. Hall was, and near the end of the season Riley, Orakpo, and Chris Baker really stepped up. Fletcher got manhandled far more than ever before by offensive linemen, and was noticeably slower in pass coverage than he had ever been. His physical skills had just deteriorated to the point that it was noticeable on the field game after game.

As far as Tuck and Ware, I'd defer to Dallas fans for information/opinions about them.

The Redskins are NOT starting Baccari Rambo this year so that's a big step up. God he was bad. You could hear the coaches thinking "give him time, he's a rookie" and over time he remained consistent at being bad, and got benched. Adding Hatcher will help the Skins defense noticeably I think.

Isnt ours the only one that didnt lose a starter?

Dallas loses Ware

Washington Fletcher

Giants Tuck

Off the top of my head those teams not only lost a player but they lost their best players, captains and leaders.
throw in that they are scheduling more division games at the back end (ff playoffs) and it might make sense to draft players inside this division.

Joseph SantoliquitoPhiladelphia, PA (CBS) — In the days following DeSean Jackson’s release by the Eagles, speculation ran rampant as to the reasons why. Everything was to blame from Jackson’s petulant, rambunctious sideline behavior, to his alleged gang ties, to Jackson’s character, to this being Chip Kelly’s fault.

But what a number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way “a child would test boundaries,” and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games.

Several other sources also suggested that Jeremy Maclin may have had an issue if Jackson returned to the Eagles in 2014. He wasn’t alone, if that’s true.

“The fact is, [Jackson] was a ‘me-guy’ with an attitude problem and [Maclin] is the complete opposite, a team guy, a great character guy you go to war with,” said one source. “Funny how [Jackson] has this anti-bully thing and he thought he could push [Kelly] around; he found out otherwise. His being cut had nothing to do with the gang stuff. The team knew it. Everyone knew he had ‘ties.’ Those were his guys. That’s okay. What put him out was his selfishness. He can try and spin it all he wants how he’s ‘a team player.’ He’s not. I’ll put it this way, when it came out last Friday that [Jackson] was released, more than a few guys were happy it happened. They said ‘good riddance.’ He had no real connection with anyone.

“Yes, you can say he was the type that could catch three TDs in a loss—everyone would be down, but you had the impression he was happy, because he got his. It was all about him. A lot of guys thought that way about him. [Kelly] came in here with a plan to get this thing right, and the one major [obstacle] standing in his way was [Jackson]. If we were going to move forward as a team, he had to go. Think about it—did anyone come right out and back him publicly? Not one.”

Why didn’t Andy Reid or Marty Mornhinweg, the Jets’ offensive coordinator, want any part of Jackson before he signed a three-year, $24-million contract with the Redskins on Wednesday?

They apparently knew the potential headache Jackson was.

Kelly received some culpability in the opinion of some. But numerous sources confirmed that “Big Balls” Chip should have been canonized St. Chip after putting up with the instigating Jackson in 2013.

“You see little kids and how they cry and whine when they don’t get their way, that was D-Jax,” another source said. “I don’t think [Jackson] gave [Kelly] the respect he deserved. Kelly tried to reach [Jackson] plenty of times and [Jackson] tuned him out. Then you look at team functions, when everyone is out together at charity things or social stuff. He was the one missing. It was like he was in ‘D-Jax world’ and we just happened to be there.

“With Reid, [Jackson] tried pushing boundaries there, too, but he looked at Reid, I think, much differently than he looked at [Kelly]. Reid came in with an NFL pedigree. He was the guy that drafted [Jackson]. He was the one that called him on draft day and laid the law down right then: [Reid] wouldn’t tolerate any outside interference from anyone. Now you get this college guy [Kelly] and he’s not going to tell [Jackson] what to do. [Kelly] has a vision for this team—and he is a very old-school coach in a lot of ways. But there’s only so much [a coach] can take.”

In 2012, under Reid, Eagles’ management did reward Jackson a new five-year deal worth $48 million. He did have some minor flare ups with the law. In 2009, Jackson was pulled over by police for having illegally tinted windows and it was discovered he had marijuana in the car.

Still, Jackson stayed.

“That was all [Reid’s] doing,” opined someone close to the situation that asked that his name not be used. “[Reid] thought he could control [Jackson]. He could, to a degree. Kelly put up with [Jackson] behind closed doors. A lot of guys didn’t like how he talked to [Kelly]. And a lot of guys just didn’t like him. They thought he was too into his rap label than he was about winning games. The guy performed, there’s no questioning that. But you had to keep a constant eye on him. Guys put in extra time. He didn’t. It’s like he never grew up.”

Asked why the Eagles have been reluctant to go public with how difficult Jackson was to deal with, sources said Kelly likes to keep in-house dirt in-house.

“That’s [Kelly’s] way,” said one source. “It pisses me off that [Kelly] comes off looking like the bad guy here. It wasn’t just [Kelly] that wanted him gone. [Kelly] got a lot of feedback from guys that felt we were better off without [Jackson], too. [Kelly] is very much a player’s coach. His office is open to anyone. Now [Jackson] is the Redskins’ problem. We have something good going here and it’s going to get better without [Jackson]. He had to go.”

Joseph Santoliquito is a contributing sports blogger for CBS Philly.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/04/04/sources-desean-jackson-was-a-problem-for-kelly-eagles-in-locker-room/

Joseph Santoliquito

Philadelphia, PA (CBS) In the days following DeSean Jacksons release by the Eagles, speculation ran rampant as to the reasons why. Everything was to blame from Jacksons petulant, rambunctious sideline behavior, to his alleged gang ties, to Jacksons character, to this being Chip Kellys fault.

But what a number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way a child would test boundaries, and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games.

Several other sources also suggested that Jeremy Maclin may have had an issue if Jackson returned to the Eagles in 2014. He wasnt alone, if thats true.

The fact is, [Jackson] was a me-guy with an attitude problem and [Maclin] is the complete opposite, a team guy, a great character guy you go to war with, said one source. Funny how [Jackson] has this anti-bully thing and he thought he could push [Kelly] around; he found out otherwise. His being cut had nothing to do with the gang stuff. The team knew it. Everyone knew he had ties. Those were his guys. Thats okay. What put him out was his selfishness. He can try and spin it all he wants how hes a team player. Hes not. Ill put it this way, when it came out last Friday that [Jackson] was released, more than a few guys were happy it happened. They said good riddance. He had no real connection with anyone.

Yes, you can say he was the type that could catch three TDs in a losseveryone would be down, but you had the impression he was happy, because he got his. It was all about him. A lot of guys thought that way about him. [Kelly] came in here with a plan to get this thing right, and the one major [obstacle] standing in his way was [Jackson]. If we were going to move forward as a team, he had to go. Think about itdid anyone come right out and back him publicly? Not one.

Why didnt Andy Reid or Marty Mornhinweg, the Jets offensive coordinator, want any part of Jackson before he signed a three-year, $24-million contract with the Redskins on Wednesday?

Kelly received some culpability in the opinion of some. But numerous sources confirmed that Big Balls Chip should have been canonized St. Chip after putting up with the instigating Jackson in 2013.

You see little kids and how they cry and whine when they dont get their way, that was D-Jax, another source said. I dont think [Jackson] gave [Kelly] the respect he deserved. Kelly tried to reach [Jackson] plenty of times and [Jackson] tuned him out. Then you look at team functions, when everyone is out together at charity things or social stuff. He was the one missing. It was like he was in D-Jax world and we just happened to be there.

With Reid, [Jackson] tried pushing boundaries there, too, but he looked at Reid, I think, much differently than he looked at [Kelly]. Reid came in with an NFL pedigree. He was the guy that drafted [Jackson]. He was the one that called him on draft day and laid the law down right then: [Reid] wouldnt tolerate any outside interference from anyone. Now you get this college guy [Kelly] and hes not going to tell [Jackson] what to do. [Kelly] has a vision for this teamand he is a very old-school coach in a lot of ways. But theres only so much [a coach] can take.

In 2012, under Reid, Eagles management did reward Jackson a new five-year deal worth $48 million. He did have some minor flare ups with the law. In 2009, Jackson was pulled over by police for having illegally tinted windows and it was discovered he had marijuana in the car.

Still, Jackson stayed.

That was all [Reids] doing, opined someone close to the situation that asked that his name not be used. [Reid] thought he could control [Jackson]. He could, to a degree. Kelly put up with [Jackson] behind closed doors. A lot of guys didnt like how he talked to [Kelly]. And a lot of guys just didnt like him. They thought he was too into his rap label than he was about winning games. The guy performed, theres no questioning that. But you had to keep a constant eye on him. Guys put in extra time. He didnt. Its like he never grew up.

Asked why the Eagles have been reluctant to go public with how difficult Jackson was to deal with, sources said Kelly likes to keep in-house dirt in-house.

Thats [Kellys] way, said one source. It pisses me off that [Kelly] comes off looking like the bad guy here. It wasnt just [Kelly] that wanted him gone. [Kelly] got a lot of feedback from guys that felt we were better off without [Jackson], too. [Kelly] is very much a players coach. His office is open to anyone. Now [Jackson] is the Redskins problem. We have something good going here and its going to get better without [Jackson]. He had to go.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/04/04/sources-desean-jackson-was-a-problem-for-kelly-eagles-in-locker-room/
Just reiterates the point that the Eagles FO should say something about it. They're going to have to eventually or it will become a distraction because the Philly media won't let it die.

NFLPA to examine Desean's release as possible defamation

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10727996
...and DeSean is being interviewed by Stephen A Smith tonight. Nobody drivels more BS than Smith so I'd be surprised if this wasn't designed to cut down the Eagles organization.
So you dont think there was anything shady involved in releasing your best WR after his best season? Thats interesting.
No I don't. I think they released because they were tired of putting up with his attitude and he wasn't a team player. The evidence is piling up. Was his release after the NJ.com article a little odd. Yes...but I believe it was just bad timing.

Joseph Santoliquito

Philadelphia, PA (CBS) In the days following DeSean Jacksons release by the Eagles, speculation ran rampant as to the reasons why. Everything was to blame from Jacksons petulant, rambunctious sideline behavior, to his alleged gang ties, to Jacksons character, to this being Chip Kellys fault.

But what a number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way a child would test boundaries, and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games.

Several other sources also suggested that Jeremy Maclin may have had an issue if Jackson returned to the Eagles in 2014. He wasnt alone, if thats true.

The fact is, [Jackson] was a me-guy with an attitude problem and [Maclin] is the complete opposite, a team guy, a great character guy you go to war with, said one source. Funny how [Jackson] has this anti-bully thing and he thought he could push [Kelly] around; he found out otherwise. His being cut had nothing to do with the gang stuff. The team knew it. Everyone knew he had ties. Those were his guys. Thats okay. What put him out was his selfishness. He can try and spin it all he wants how hes a team player. Hes not. Ill put it this way, when it came out last Friday that [Jackson] was released, more than a few guys were happy it happened. They said good riddance. He had no real connection with anyone.

Yes, you can say he was the type that could catch three TDs in a losseveryone would be down, but you had the impression he was happy, because he got his. It was all about him. A lot of guys thought that way about him. [Kelly] came in here with a plan to get this thing right, and the one major [obstacle] standing in his way was [Jackson]. If we were going to move forward as a team, he had to go. Think about itdid anyone come right out and back him publicly? Not one.

Why didnt Andy Reid or Marty Mornhinweg, the Jets offensive coordinator, want any part of Jackson before he signed a three-year, $24-million contract with the Redskins on Wednesday?

Kelly received some culpability in the opinion of some. But numerous sources confirmed that Big Balls Chip should have been canonized St. Chip after putting up with the instigating Jackson in 2013.

You see little kids and how they cry and whine when they dont get their way, that was D-Jax, another source said. I dont think [Jackson] gave [Kelly] the respect he deserved. Kelly tried to reach [Jackson] plenty of times and [Jackson] tuned him out. Then you look at team functions, when everyone is out together at charity things or social stuff. He was the one missing. It was like he was in D-Jax world and we just happened to be there.

With Reid, [Jackson] tried pushing boundaries there, too, but he looked at Reid, I think, much differently than he looked at [Kelly]. Reid came in with an NFL pedigree. He was the guy that drafted [Jackson]. He was the one that called him on draft day and laid the law down right then: [Reid] wouldnt tolerate any outside interference from anyone. Now you get this college guy [Kelly] and hes not going to tell [Jackson] what to do. [Kelly] has a vision for this teamand he is a very old-school coach in a lot of ways. But theres only so much [a coach] can take.

In 2012, under Reid, Eagles management did reward Jackson a new five-year deal worth $48 million. He did have some minor flare ups with the law. In 2009, Jackson was pulled over by police for having illegally tinted windows and it was discovered he had marijuana in the car.

Still, Jackson stayed.

That was all [Reids] doing, opined someone close to the situation that asked that his name not be used. [Reid] thought he could control [Jackson]. He could, to a degree. Kelly put up with [Jackson] behind closed doors. A lot of guys didnt like how he talked to [Kelly]. And a lot of guys just didnt like him. They thought he was too into his rap label than he was about winning games. The guy performed, theres no questioning that. But you had to keep a constant eye on him. Guys put in extra time. He didnt. Its like he never grew up.

Thats [Kellys] way, said one source. It pisses me off that [Kelly] comes off looking like the bad guy here. It wasnt just [Kelly] that wanted him gone. [Kelly] got a lot of feedback from guys that felt we were better off without [Jackson], too. [Kelly] is very much a players coach. His office is open to anyone. Now [Jackson] is the Redskins problem. We have something good going here and its going to get better without [Jackson]. He had to go.

Just reiterates the point that the Eagles FO should say something about it. They're going to have to eventually or it will become a distraction because the Philly media won't let it die.
This part admittedly I don't get. I would hope there is good reasoning behind the silence but i'm not sure what that would be.

...and DeSean is being interviewed by Stephen A Smith tonight. Nobody drivels more BS than Smith so I'd be surprised if this wasn't designed to cut down the Eagles organization.
Exactly. Ever seen Smith interview Kobe Bryant? It is nauseating. Same thing will happen with Jackson here, as Smith will ask him the tough questions in a softball kind of way (meaning, he won't press him on anything).

This part admittedly I don't get. I would hope there is good reasoning behind the silence but i'm not sure what that would be.
When it first happened, there was speculation the team issued their statement and wouldn't comment further because they're anticipating a greivence from Jackson.

So you dont think there was anything shady involved in releasing your best WR after his best season? Thats interesting.
No I don't. I think they released because they were tired of putting up with his attitude and he wasn't a team player.
I wonder why the Eagles won't say that?

The evidence is piling up. Was his release after the NJ.com article a little odd. Yes...but I believe it was just bad timing.
I wonder why Eagle front office sources were cited in that article?

Joseph Santoliquito

Still, Jackson stayed.

I'm confused. The answer they havent is listed right in post #660 of this thread. You may as well just plead guilty by saying anything...

No I don't. I think they released because they were tired of putting up with his attitude and he wasn't a team player.
I wonder why the Eagles won't say that?

The evidence is piling up. Was his release after the NJ.com article a little odd. Yes...but I believe it was just bad timing.
I wonder why Eagle front office sources were cited in that article?
They were cited for saying he was a distraction off the field and in the locker room. There are at least a dozen more articles that say the same thing. You're allowed to release a player if you don't feel he fits the mold of your team or if he is a major distraction. And there is ample testimony from multiple sources inside and outside the organization that back that up.

As far as why they don't come out and say that. Not sure. I would hope there would be a good reason for it though and I think we'll eventually find out.

Questions that SHOULD be asked of DeSean:

Question: Did you miss meetings last season? If so, how many? And how many times were you fined?
Missed meetings and an inconsistent work ethic wore on the Eagles, NJ.com learned. (Jackson was suspended by former Eagles head coach Andy Reid for missing a team meeting during the 2011 season.) Those issues led to a lack of chemistry between first-year Eagles head coach Chip Kelly and DeSean Jackson.

Q: Do you believe the Eagles would have released you even without NJ.com story that delved into your alleged ties to the Crips?

Jackson's name came up in in the wake of a 2010 murder investigation, while authorities told NJ.com he was not a suspect or witness. His friend, Theron Shakir, was one of the two men charged with the murder of a 14-year-old male. Shakir also rapped under Jackson's label Jaccpot Records. Shakir, an alleged member of the Crips, was acquitted of the murder charge and an accompanying gun charge, but Sharkir's friend and former high school football teammate, Marques Binns, was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison.

Q: Some people believe the Eagles planted the story with NJ.com. Do you?
Several media members -- including Stephen A. Smith -- have questioned the timing of this site's story on Jackson. He was on the trading block for weeks, even if last Friday's release was unexpected. But NJ.com was not "fed" the story by the Eagles.

Q: Your contract is for three years and a reported $24 million. What we don't know are the non-financial terms of the deal. Is there any language like the special rules spelled out in receiver Dez Bryant's deal with the Dallas Cowboys,

Bryant agreed to several conduct guidelines as part of his deal. Those include a midnight curfew, an alcohol ban and regular counseling, ESPN.com reported last month.

Q: Few Eagles have defended you publicly. Does that bother you?
That was the first question NJ.com asked when Jackson arrived at Dulles Airport for his Redskins visit on Monday. (He declined to answer it that time.) Fellow receiver Jeremy Maclin was one of the few Eagles players who stepped to Jackson's aid.

Q: NJ.com uncovered a previously unreported arrest in 2009. Can you give us some details of how that went down?
Jackson was pulled over for having illegally tinted windows while driving in the Los Angeles area in 2009. During the stop, police told NJ.com officers discovered marijuana in the vehicle. He was arrested for possession of marijuana while driving, disturbing the peace and operating a car with materials that obstruct or reduce a driver’s view, according to court documents. He took a pea deal that only led to one conviction on his record: disturbing the peace. It's unclear if the league knew about the arrest at the time, but he wasn't fined or suspended.

Q: There were several photos posted by you on Instagram where you appeared to flash gang signs or was pictured with alleged gang members. The three photos that appeared in our original story were erased off the social media service. Why did you do that?

Via Instagram
NJ.com archived the three photos, so you can still them in the original story.

Q: Have you reassessed your relationships with your friends -- including Shakir --since your release from the Eagles?
Jackson's former high school football coach told NJ.com that Jackson leaned on his friends after the death of his father in May 2009. Some of those friends were described as "not-so-good people."

Joseph Santoliquito

Still, Jackson stayed.

I think it's the approach that someone that handled himself the way he did doesn't deserve the time. Just before they made a nice statement about Avant who was an awesome team player. The article above sums up Desean.

Questions that SHOULD be asked of DeSean:

Question: Did you miss meetings last season? If so, how many? And how many times were you fined?

Missed meetings and an inconsistent work ethic wore on the Eagles, NJ.com learned. (Jackson was suspended by former Eagles head coach Andy Reid for missing a team meeting during the 2011 season.) Those issues led to a lack of chemistry between first-year Eagles head coach Chip Kelly and DeSean Jackson.

Q: Do you believe the Eagles would have released you even without NJ.com story that delved into your alleged ties to the Crips?

Jackson's name came up in in the wake of a 2010 murder investigation, while authorities told NJ.com he was not a suspect or witness. His friend, Theron Shakir, was one of the two men charged with the murder of a 14-year-old male. Shakir also rapped under Jackson's label Jaccpot Records. Shakir, an alleged member of the Crips, was acquitted of the murder charge and an accompanying gun charge, but Sharkir's friend and former high school football teammate, Marques Binns, was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison.

Q: Some people believe the Eagles planted the story with NJ.com. Do you?

Several media members -- including Stephen A. Smith -- have questioned the timing of this site's story on Jackson. He was on the trading block for weeks, even if last Friday's release was unexpected. But NJ.com was not "fed" the story by the Eagles.

Q: Your contract is for three years and a reported $24 million. What we don't know are the non-financial terms of the deal. Is there any language like the special rules spelled out in receiver Dez Bryant's deal with the Dallas Cowboys,

Bryant agreed to several conduct guidelines as part of his deal. Those include a midnight curfew, an alcohol ban and regular counseling, ESPN.com reported last month.

Q: Few Eagles have defended you publicly. Does that bother you?

That was the first question NJ.com asked when Jackson arrived at Dulles Airport for his Redskins visit on Monday. (He declined to answer it that time.) Fellow receiver Jeremy Maclin was one of the few Eagles players who stepped to Jackson's aid.

Q: NJ.com uncovered a previously unreported arrest in 2009. Can you give us some details of how that went down?

Jackson was pulled over for having illegally tinted windows while driving in the Los Angeles area in 2009. During the stop, police told NJ.com officers discovered marijuana in the vehicle. He was arrested for possession of marijuana while driving, disturbing the peace and operating a car with materials that obstruct or reduce a driver’s view, according to court documents. He took a pea deal that only led to one conviction on his record: disturbing the peace. It's unclear if the league knew about the arrest at the time, but he wasn't fined or suspended.

Q: There were several photos posted by you on Instagram where you appeared to flash gang signs or was pictured with alleged gang members. The three photos that appeared in our original story were erased off the social media service. Why did you do that?

Via Instagram
NJ.com archived the three photos, so you can still them in the original story.

Q: Have you reassessed your relationships with your friends -- including Shakir --since your release from the Eagles?

Jackson's former high school football coach told NJ.com that Jackson leaned on his friends after the death of his father in May 2009. Some of those friends were described as "not-so-good people."
very good questions. I'd like to see these asked as well.

CentralPA said:
False Start said:
CentralPA said:
Insein said:

No I don't. I think they released because they were tired of putting up with his attitude and he wasn't a team player. The evidence is piling up. Was his release after the NJ.com article a little odd. Yes...but I believe it was just bad timing.
Tired of him leading the team in receiving? Evidence is piling up? The evidence that was fed by the team? The team would know of his arrest and maybe they fed the info to NJ.com. I dont expect you to defend DJax now, but 3 weeks ago you would be singing a different tune.

CentralPA said:
False Start said:
CentralPA said:
Insein said:

Tired of him leading the team in receiving? Evidence is piling up? The evidence that was fed by the team? The team would know of his arrest and maybe they fed the info to NJ.com. I dont expect you to defend DJax now, but 3 weeks ago you would be singing a different tune.
They were trying to trade him (and threatened to cut him) long before the article came out. You can actually go back as far as '12 when Reid tried to trade him. IF there's evidence the team provided false info they should be punished. The Player's Association will do its investigation. He was NOT released because of the article. There's no way he was playing for the Eagles in '14.

Mike Silver (who as far as I know has no ties to the Eagles or Philly) asked a former Eagles coach how much of a pain DJax was to coach. "a 10, just like his number".

CentralPA said:
They were cited for saying he was a distraction off the field and in the locker room. There are at least a dozen more articles that say the same thing. You're allowed to release a player if you don't feel he fits the mold of your team or if he is a major distraction. And there is ample testimony from multiple sources inside and outside the organization that back that up.

As far as why they don't come out and say that. Not sure. I would hope there would be a good reason for it though and I think we'll eventually find out.
When they do speak about it's going to be in the most general terms, nothing that's going to be of any insight. They aren't going to bad mouth a former player, it's bad for business.

CentralPA said:

When they do speak about it's going to be in the most general terms, nothing that's going to be of any insight. They aren't going to bad mouth a former player, it's bad for business.
Exactly, I dont know why people are so worried about them talking about it. Nothing meaningful will be said.

CentralPA said:
They were cited for saying he was a distraction off the field and in the locker room. There are at least a dozen more articles that say the same thing. You're allowed to release a player if you don't feel he fits the mold of your team or if he is a major distraction. And there is ample testimony from multiple sources inside and outside the organization that back that up.As far as why they don't come out and say that. Not sure. I would hope there would be a good reason for it though and I think we'll eventually find out.
Exactly, I dont know why people are so worried about them talking about it. Nothing meaningful will be said.
But something will be said. Saying nothing leaves the speculation to grow. When each day passes and no bomb has been dropped on Desean that would lead the team to "not pursue a trade in good conscience" it screams to the fans that they had no plan when it came to him leaving and just haphazardly concocted a scheme to alleviate any blame on their part.

Publicly.
Looks like they are bad mouthing him to be through the media.
"After careful consideration over this offseason, the Philadelphia Eagles have decided to part ways with DeSean Jackson. The team informed him of his release today," the Eagles said in a statement.

That's the entirety of the Eagles' statement. The NFLPA is investigating if they did anything wrong.

Publicly.
Yeah, I think they probably did a bit of that, allowing the media to drag him through the mud a bit, but if even half the stuff about him as a teammate is true, good for Chip and the Eagles to bounce him.

Publicly.
He was putting pictures on Instagram with gang members while flashing gang signs. I dont think the team has to leak info for this to get out.

It's possible that this was death by a thousand cuts. The constant "bad teammate" schtick was probably tolerated for a good chunk of time due to on field performance but the tension with coaches and players is impossible to tolerate forever. I'd bet they were on the fence but decided to gut it out for one more year. Then, AFTER FA, when there are no trade partners (ie no outs for the eagles) his agent starts alluding to hold outs, new contracts, etc. thinking that they would be forced to cave. However this new regime is not like the previous one and they call his bluff and boot desean rather than go thru another TO circus.

Additionally, it's possible-just speculating here- that they are working behind the scenes on a trade scenario that puts them in position to take a Mike Evans WR. They may feel so confident in this, that bouncing desean was an easy decision because his larger, taller replacement will be on the team in May. This would obviously not be something they want to announce now-hence the lack of an explanation.

Trying to figure out why everyone wants the Eagles to say something?

The release spoke volumes - you can read between the lines.
The release timed with the NJ.com article is the reason to question them. They stated that the article was a catalyst for his release and that only had allusion to bad associations. If they don't like him, come out and say that. They are letting the media paint the picture for them which is why there is such wild speculation from all sides.

Not everyone- but certainly the Eagles' fan base deserve something.
Like others have stated above - you won't hear anything other than generic explanations.

The guys was high maintenance - he was a drain on the cap - they got rid of him.

I seriously don't know what people want.

The release timed with the NJ.com article is the reason to question them. They stated that the article was a catalyst for his release and that only had allusion to bad associations. If they don't like him, come out and say that. They are letting the media paint the picture for them which is why there is such wild speculation from all sides.
the article was not the main thing. All the stuff that happened behind closed doors (IMO) was the real problem. The article just made the release "convenient". I think that they would have released him even if the article had never been published.

My point is that it's addition by subtraction. Why not look ahead instead of behind? Kelly's seems to be a very good/great offensive mind - and the Eagles look to be in very good shape for the future.

Like others have stated above - you won't hear anything other than generic explanations.

The guys was high maintenance - he was a drain on the cap - they got rid of him.

Then say that. They've let one of their best players go for nothing. Saying nothing leads the public to believe either a) something else is happening that they can't speak about it or b) they don't give a crap what the fanbase thinks and don't owe us an explanation.

the article was not the main thing. All the stuff that happened behind closed doors (IMO) was the real problem. The article just made the release "convenient". I think that they would have released him even if the article had never been published.

My point is that it's addition by subtraction. Why not look ahead instead of behind? Kelly's seems to be a very good/great offensive mind - and the Eagles look to be in very good shape for the future.
The season and even the draft is month's away. There's time to worry about all that. Im not even worried about desean. If they decided to cut McCoy or Foles with no explanation and let the media paint a broad picture, I'd be just as annoyed.

This is a bad precedent that the team can make a drastic move like this and doesn't have to say a thing to the fans as to why it was done.

The season and even the draft is month's away. There's time to worry about all that. Im not even worried about desean. If they decided to cut McCoy or Foles with no explanation and let the media paint a broad picture, I'd be just as annoyed.

This is a bad precedent that the team can make a drastic move like this and doesn't have to say a thing to the fans as to why it was done.
why would they cut McCoy or Foles? Bad precedent?

My theory is - they cut Jackson - they had to have a good reason. And like the article stated, not one Eagles player spoke out protesting the release. Their silence also speaks volumes.

Then say that. They've let one of their best players go for nothing. Saying nothing leads the public to believe either a) something else is happening that they can't speak about it or b) they don't give a crap what the fanbase thinks and don't owe us an explanation.
Ok - agree to disagree.

Did you read the article you linked? There's nothing in the PFT article saying anyone confirmed Jackson's gang ties. I''ll copy it here so everyone can see that.

Raiders, 49ers call LAPD about Jackson, but not Redskins
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 1, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT

In the old days, you could nail down a potential free agent player or coaches whereabouts by calling the agent or tracking the tail numbers on a private plane. These days, you have to call the cops.

According to A.J. Perez of NJ.com, the Raiders and the 49ers have checked with the Los Angeles Police Department regarding DeSean Jackson’s reported links to gang members. The Redskins, however, have not called the LAPD about the report. What that means as to the pursuit of Jackson at the moment is unclear, since he’s in Washington along with his agent.

But since each team employs “security guys” to dig into the background of all their players or prospective players, it’s reasonable that they want to make sure they have the latest on the guy. In case, you know, he ends up “moving on,” from Dulles without a deal in hand.
Did you read the article linked in PFT's article? Here it is. There is nothing in the article saying the LAPD confirmed any gang ties. I'll copy it here.

The Washington Redskins have agreed to terms on a three-year deal with former Philadelphia Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson, and a law enforcement source told NJ.com on Tuesday that the club wasn't among the NFL teams that reached out to the Los Angeles Police Department after Jackson was connected to reputed gang members.

According to the source, the San Francisco 49ers and the Oakland Raiders have asked the LAPD about Friday's NJ.com story. Jackson was cut less than an hour after the story was published.

NJ.com also confirmed that the Redskins were making a serious push for Jackson, who arrived in the Washington area Monday and met with team officials at Redskins Park on Tuesday. The deal was first reported by ESPN just after midnight Wednesday morning.

Jackson reportedly left Redskins Park Tuesday afternoon after meeting with team officials for a couple hours, but skipped his flight when a deal appeared close.

The Raiders, Redskins, Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills appeared to be the next teams in line after the Redskins. The Jets, who had expressed an interest in Jackson before he was released, backed away when the gang revelations were made public.
So LAPD confirms Jackson's gang ties to 49ers, Raiders doesn't come from anywhere in the article you linked.

Meanwhile the LAPD did talk to DeSean Jackson. In 2011.

The Los Angeles police department clarified a few points about former Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson following his dismissal from the NFC East franchise.

1. Jackson hasn't been accused of being a gang member.

2. Although he's not suspected of being involved in gang-related murders, the LAPD did inquire about Jackson's ties to alleged members of the Crips street gang.

"It's kind of like 'Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon,' " LAPD Homicide Det. Chris Barling told the Philadelphia Daily News. "When people grow up in neighborhoods where you have gang involvement, you don't have to look too far before you find a connection to a connection. Now, how sinister that connection is, our position is that's for others to judge."

An LAPD detective contacted the Eagles in 2011, but the call wasn't returned. They did speak to Jackson, though.

"They didn't return the call, but we came across a number for him and had a conversation," Barling said. "It was nothing confrontational; he answered our questions."

"There's no other investigation that I'm aware of where Mr. Jackson's name has come up," he said. "It's clear he was not involved the homicides."

Jackson has issued a statement denying that he's a gang member.

This is what is says.

[SIZE=small]The San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders both reached out to the Los Angeles Police Department to confirm reports of DeSean Jackson's continued involvement with alleged members of Los Angeles street gangs; LAPD confirmed the reports, CSNBayArea.com has learned.[/SIZE]
In other words there's no LAPD source, just a generic "LAPD confirmed the reports" statement from a cable outlet. Unlike the named source (Barling) in the story I linked above.

Users who are viewing this thread