Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
austinball

DeSean Jackson

Jackson led the NFL in yards per target last year by over a full yard (according to data from PFR). Top 5 (min 50 targets) were:

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

Jackson led the NFL in yards per target last year by over a full yard (according to data from PFR). Top 5 (min 50 targets) were:

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

with the worst QB of the bunch, by far.

Not that this stat means a whole lot but if you checked the trades-thread, it's clear to me that DJax is underrated in FF.

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

Not that this stat means a whole lot but if you checked the trades-thread, it's clear to me that DJax is underrated in FF.

DJax at this stage is a one trick pony. He is probably the best deep threat WR in the league. The problem in fantasy is his inconsistency. I don't think he is underrated at all due to low level of targets, and injury history.

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

DJax at this stage is a one trick pony. He is probably the best deep threat WR in the league. The problem in fantasy is his inconsistency. I don't think he is underrated at all due to low level of targets, and injury history.
DJax is far from a 1 trick pony.

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

In terms of receiving I would beg to differ. In 7 seasons he has only caught more than 63 balls once. He also has never had more than 126 targets in a season.

He may be capable of being more than a 1 trick pony, but at this stage the numbers don't really support it. Nothing against Jackson as he is an awesome weapon on an offense. He can take the top off a D and can take the ball to the house on any play. But he has not been used very well as an all around WR. I don't see that changing much going forward.

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

In terms of receiving I would beg to differ. In 7 seasons he has only caught more than 63 balls once. He also has never had more than 126 targets in a season.

He may be capable of being more than a 1 trick pony, but at this stage the numbers don't really support it. Nothing against Jackson as he is an awesome weapon on an offense. He can take the top off a D and can take the ball to the house on any play. But he has not been used very well as an all around WR. I don't see that changing much going forward.

Not his fault.. His situations have been lousy. Kids a beast

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

That's a very odd definition of a 1 trick pony IMO. What happens to your interpretation if he hadn't only played 2 full season? He was on pace for more than that number, you picked a cleaver cut off BTW, on several other seasons that were cut short. Was he a 1 trick pony his last year in Philly?

Even if he was a 1 trick pony, that trick is really good and better than any one else who attempts it. Enough to make him a top 10 WR.

Even if he was a 1 trick pony, that trick is really good and better than any one else who attempts it. Enough to make him a top 10 WR.

Top 10 is pushing it a lot, but top 20 for sure.

If only he had a good QB to throw the rock.

Top 10 is pushing it a lot, but top 20 for sure.

If only he had a good QB to throw the rock.

He ranks 7th in yards and 10th in TDs over the last 2 years with a YPC 2 yards better than Calvin's for #1 overall during that period.

Just saying.

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

That's a very odd definition of a 1 trick pony IMO. What happens to your interpretation if he hadn't only played 2 full season? He was on pace for more than that number, you picked a cleaver cut off BTW, on several other seasons that were cut short. Was he a 1 trick pony his last year in Philly?

63 receptions is not a clever cut off. His second best season to date in terms of receptions is 63 so that is how I got that number. In 7 seasons he has appeared in at least 15 games 6 of his 7 years, only in 2012 he had played in 11 games but was still on pace to only have 60 some catches. You know who had 63 or more catches last year? James Jones had 66, Jordan Matthews had 67, Rueben Randle had 71, Robert Woods had 65, Andrew Hawkins had 63. Now these guys are no where near the threat and player Jackson is by any stretch, but it shows you the type of player Jackson has primarily been throughout his career in terms of usage.

Jackson had a great year 2 years ago in Philly. But even then Maclin in 1 less game than Jackson and coming off a major knee injury had arguably a better year in that same system. Jackson under Kelly had 82 catches, 1332 yards and 9 Td's on 126 targets. That was a great year. Maclin last year in 1 less game 85 catches, 1318 yards and 10 tds, on 143 targets.

1 trick pony may be a touch simple but he is far from well rounded in terms of receiving. If you look at his usage and yard per reception which is always one of the tops in the league it shows the type of dynamic big play receiver Jackson has been. He is a very dangerous guy and one you want on your team and someone that is lethal. But when I think of Jackson I don't think of a great all around WR, I think of a big play WR, much like Percy Harvin is seen as a gimmick guy as that is who they have been primarily so far.

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

63 receptions is not a clever cut off. His second best season to date in terms of receptions is 63 so that is how I got that number. In 7 seasons he has appeared in at least 15 games 6 of his 7 years, only in 2012 he had played in 11 games but was still on pace to only have 60 some catches. You know who had 63 or more catches last year? James Jones had 66, Jordan Matthews had 67, Rueben Randle had 71, Robert Woods had 65, Andrew Hawkins had 63. Now these guys are no where near the threat and player Jackson is by any stretch, but it shows you the type of player Jackson has primarily been throughout his career in terms of usage.

Jackson had a great year 2 years ago in Philly. But even then Maclin in 1 less game than Jackson and coming off a major knee injury had arguably a better year in that same system. Jackson under Kelly had 82 catches, 1332 yards and 9 Td's on 126 targets. That was a great year. Maclin last year in 1 less game 85 catches, 1318 yards and 10 tds, on 143 targets.

1 trick pony may be a touch simple but he is far from well rounded in terms of receiving. If you look at his usage and yard per reception which is always one of the tops in the league it shows the type of dynamic big play receiver Jackson has been. He is a very dangerous guy and one you want on your team and someone that is lethal. But when I think of Jackson I don't think of a great all around WR, I think of a big play WR, much like Percy Harvin is seen as a gimmick guy as that is who they have been primarily so far.

Just like Harvin except you know good.

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

Just like Harvin except you know good.

Ya. Different types of players. Harvin had a couple of good seasons in years 2 and 3 of his career. At this stage people definitely fear Jackson a lot more than a guy like Harvin.

12.3 DeSean Jackson

11.2 Kenny Stills

10.3 T.Y. Hilton

10.1 Randall Cobb

10.1 Jordy Nelson

I think you sum it up pretty well and his year under Chip is an outlier and a product of the system. As shown by Maclin last year it doesn't take a top 10 WR to produce those numbers in this system. Which is why there was a drop off this year. Nothing wrong with 60 catches 1k yds and 6td guy, but not impossible to replace by any means. Edited by GoBirds

No. The number of receptions does not in itself indicate usage. Desean averaged 20 yards per reception. You know who else had 20 yards per reception last year?

Nobody.

Jackson's 2nd best season for receptions is 62, not 63. He did it 2x. From a per game basis, he bested a 63 reception pace in 4 of his 7 season, including each of his last 3. Now at least 15 games is relevant? Well, in his at least 15 game seasons he has been on pace to have more than 63 receptions in 2 of 4. Each of the last 2 years, mind you. Also, his rookie year number of 62 in 16 games. Of course this doesn't even account for the fact that while he played and started in at least 15 games in those seasons, he missed time in other games and left early in some.

This 63 reception thing just appears completely artificial and made up because it plays well to the Jackson argument. Is there some sort of magical reception number that makes a guy more than a one trick pony? Is that number 63? How do you come up with this number of 63?

Maclin didn't have a better season than Jackson nor did he have as good of one. He got more targets and did less with them per target. The entire Philly offence regressed last year and losing Jackson was a part of that.

Just because Jackson is maybe the best deep threat in the NFL doesn't mean it's all he can do. Of course when you have a guy who is elite in an area you are going to play to that strength. He's teams have done that. It's smart. He can and has done more, though. He's much better route runner than anyone gives him credit for. He's deadly on short passes that put him in space and screens. Yeah, he's best at getting deep, though. I don't care what his stats say, he's nothing close to a one trick pony.

Edited by jurb26
  • Like 1

Jackson's 2nd best season for receptions is 62, not 63. He did it 2x. From a per game basis, he bested a 63 reception pace in 4 of his 7 season, including each of his last 3. Now at least 15 games is relevant? Well, in his at least 15 game seasons he has been on pace to have more than 63 receptions in 2 of 4. Each of the last 2 years, mind you. Also, his rookie year number of 62 in 16 games. Of course this doesn't even account for the fact that while he played and started in at least 15 games in those seasons, he missed time in other games and left early in some.

This 63 reception thing just appears completely artificial and made up because it plays well to the Jackson argument. Is there some sort of magical reception number that makes a guy more than a one trick pony? Is that number 63? How do you come up with this number of 63?

Maclin didn't have a better season than Jackson nor did he have as good of one. He got more targets and did less with them per target. The entire Philly offence regressed last year and losing Jackson was a part of that.

Just because Jackson is maybe the best deep threat in the NFL doesn't mean it's all he can do. Of course when you have a guy who is elite in an area you are going to play to that strength. He's teams have done that. It's smart. He can and has done more, though. He's much better route runner than anyone gives him credit for. He's deadly on short passes that put him in space and screens. Yeah, he's best at getting deep, though. I don't care what his stats say, he's nothing close to a one trick pony.

My point is more so is that Jackson has consistently so far in his career showed to be elite in one area in the NFL. Can he consistently be elite in other areas? Maybe, but he has not done enough yet to prove that.

I am not saying you can just take 63 catches or above and that is what makes a guy more complete. You have to look at things a lot more in depth than that. I used that number as one number that stands out as a huge hit to arguing Jackson is a complete WR. But there are obviously other factors at play. Part of the problem for Jackson can probably be attributed to poor QB play and or scheme. But also part of it can probably be attributed to Jackson not being a guy who is good at moving the chains and running those underneath routes.

I get that what Jackson does is elite. It is more dangerous to have a guy like Jackson in your offence than 90 plus catch guys like an Edelman or Welker or Cobb or Golden Tate types. However I don't think you can argue that he is even close to as important as Dez, Bay Bay, Jordy, AJ Green, Antonio Brown, Calvin Johnson, ODB, etc.

He is not entirely a 1 trick pony but when comparing him to the elite guys it is not could have, should have, or would have. They have numbers and tape to back it up.

Jackson is elite. But it just so happens to be more so in 1 area than other elite players at his position.

From 	To 	Draft 	Tm 	Lg 	G 	GS 	Tgt 	Rec 	Yds 	Y/R 	TD 	Y/G 	Ctch%DeSean Jackson 	2008 	2014 	2-49 	TOT 	NFL 	102 	99 	744 	412 	7286 	17.68 	38 	71.4 	55.4Mike Wallace 	2009 	2014 	3-84 	TOT 	NFL 	95 	80 	659 	375 	5834 	15.56 	47 	61.4 	56.9

Jackson is a slightly better version of Wallace.

From 	To 	Draft 	Tm 	Lg 	G 	GS 	Tgt 	Rec 	Yds 	Y/R 	TD 	Y/G 	Ctch%DeSean Jackson 	2008 	2014 	2-49 	TOT 	NFL 	102 	99 	744 	412 	7286 	17.68 	38 	71.4 	55.4Mike Wallace 	2009 	2014 	3-84 	TOT 	NFL 	95 	80 	659 	375 	5834 	15.56 	47 	61.4 	56.9

wallace is the 4th highest paid receiver in the league. Being slightly better must mean djax is really damn good.

You can probably add Torrey Smith to that as well.

wallace is the 4th highest paid receiver in the league. Being slightly better must mean djax is really damn good.

Huh?

Guess Jay Cutler must be awesome. He's the 7th highest paid QB. By your standards, Tom Brady stinks.

Huh?

Guess Jay Cutler must be awesome. He's the 7th highest paid QB. By your standards, Tom Brady stinks.

Difference is cutler is vastly overpaid.

Seems at least the Vikings don't think wallace is all that overpaid.

You're right though, salary is irrelevant. Doesn't change the fact that wallace is a pretty good receiver and one of the better deep threats. Djax is better than a good wr.

Djax is always underrated

why is this? seems in past years, the underrated guys are possession types. Your Eddie Kennison, Wes Welker, Anquan Boldin, and Kendall Wrights of the NFL. With DeSean, you have an exciting playmaker who finished top 20 in PPR yet barely gets drafted in the top 30. Then again, Wallace is underrated too but that's partly due to his quitting on his team last year.

why is this? seems in past years, the underrated guys are possession types. Your Eddie Kennison, Wes Welker, Anquan Boldin, and Kendall Wrights of the NFL. With DeSean, you have an exciting playmaker who finished top 20 in PPR yet barely gets drafted in the top 30. Then again, Wallace is underrated too but that's partly due to his quitting on his team last year.

From my perspective (a guy who has followed the teams he plays on a lot but never owned him), it comes down to this in fantasy:

1. His skills are good enough to where he can dominate a fantasy lineup on any week but reminds people a lot of a feast or famine player and there have been many feat or famine weeks.

2. There were a couple years in a row where he got destroyed and had concussion issues. That worries some people.

Jackson has one of them under his belt too

I think he remains underrated because of his injury past, boom or bust style and he's not a redzone or volume guy. He's also always towing the line of being on the outs with his teams. See last year when he was bashing his teammates or coaches after the team hit a skid. It's also pretty hard to predict when he'll feel underpaid and stop playing as well

He's justifiably underrated

I know this is the point of highlight videos, but I don't see how you come away unimpressed by DeSean Jackson in the video below. His combination of speed, route running chops, and ball tracking are on full display and I think it demonstrates much of what his supporters argue above. In year two with Jay Gruden and, hopefully, improved quarterback play, there is still some upside here. At age 28 there's only a brief window in dynasty before the value bottoms out, but I definitely think he's an underrated commodity and has been for some time. I wouldn't deny that he's one of the better WRs in the NFL and would argue he's more than just a deep threat. That being said, it feels like the receiver position in the NFL has an overabundance of talent right now--I'd be hard pressed to rank him based on talent alone, but I'd be curious as to where others have him.

DeSean Jackson 2014 Highlights

I know this is the point of highlight videos, but I don't see how you come away unimpressed by DeSean Jackson in the video below. His combination of speed, route running chops, and ball tracking are on full display and I think it demonstrates much of what his supporters argue above.

Totally agree with this, I am a Redskins fan who never paid much attention to Desean before he signed and was really impressed with him last year. I always thought of him as just a really fast guy and was totally wrong, he runs good routes and tracks the ball really well. He obviously doesn't do everything but has a niche that he does as well or better than anyone else.

Jackson is a me-first diva who is not as good as HE thinks he is.

That said, he's been one of, if not THE best deep threats in the NFL his entire career. That kind of deep threat talent opens things up for other players underneath, but doesn't lead to high target numbers. Jackson does run good (not elite) routes and can do more than run deep, but it would be silly to use him that way. He had a career year under Kelly because that system. In the end, that means he might be slightly under-rated as an NFL player (if you ignore his diva attitude), but is probably appropriately valued in fantasy as a top 20ish asset. His usage means a higher than normal variability game to game which can be frustrating. 1000-1100 on 60 catches with 8-10 TDs is what you should expect.

• Like 1

That said, he's been one of, if not THE best deep threats in the NFL his entire career. That kind of deep threat talent opens things up for other players underneath, but doesn't lead to high target numbers. Jackson does run good (not elite) routes and can do more than run deep, but it would be silly to use him that way. He had a career year under Kelly because that system. In the end, that means he might be slightly under-rated as an NFL player (if you ignore his diva attitude), but is probably appropriately valued in fantasy as a top 20ish asset. His usage means a higher than normal variability game to game which can be frustrating. 1000-1100 on 60 catches with 8-10 TDs is what you should expect.

DJax isn't being valued as a top 20ish asset. Not even close. He's being valued as WR31. He's criminally underrated. Edited by jurb26

DJax isn't being valued as a top 20ish asset. Not even close. He's being valued as WR31. He's criminally underrated.

Sure, but TBH there isn't a whole lot of difference between WR20 and WR35 in today's fantasy landscape with WR deeper than ever. You could throw those 15 or so WRs in a hat and draw them out randomly and that would make as good a ranking as any (with a couple of obvious and mostly age-related exceptions). If you believe a guy should be 20 and he's ranked 31...that's nowhere close to being "criminally under-rated".

The REASON he'd be closer to 30 than 20 is the higher than normal variance.

I stand by my statement: he might be slightly under-rated as an NFL player, but is appropriately rated in fantasy.

Edited by renesauz

DJax isn't being valued as a top 20ish asset. Not even close. He's being valued as WR31. He's criminally underrated.

Sure, but TBH there isn't a whole lot of difference between WR20 and WR35 in today's fantasy landscape with WR deeper than ever. You could throw those 15 or so WRs in a hat and draw them out randomly and that would make as good a ranking as any (with a couple of obvious and mostly age-related exceptions). If you believe a guy should be 20 and he's ranked 31...that's nowhere close to being "criminally under-rated".

I stand by my statement: he might be slightly under-rated as an NFL player, but is appropriately rated in fantasy.

DJax wasn't WR20 last year, he was WR17. That was in a new offense with terrible QB play and battling injuries. The difference between him and WR35 was about 3 points per game. That IS a lot of difference.

Here's the list of guys currently going ahead of DJax;

14. Cooks, Brandin NOS WR

15. Watkins, Sammy BUF WR

16. Benjamin, Kelvin CAR WR

17. Matthews, Jordan PHI WR

18. Cooper, Amari OAK WR

19. Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR

20. Allen, Keenan SDC WR

21. Tate, Golden DET WR

22. White, Kevin CHI WR

23. Edelman, Julian NEP WR

24. Landry, Jarvis MIA WR

25. Bryant, Martavis PIT WR

26. Robinson, Allen JAC WR

27. Maclin, Jeremy KCC WR

28. Agholor, Nelson PHI WR

29. Marshall, Brandon NYJ WR

30. Johnson, Andre IND WR

31. Jackson, DeSean WAS WR

DJax has finished outside of the top 30 once in his career, an 11 game season. He's finished in the top 17 4 times and in the top 10 twice. The list of guys going ahead of him is absurd. Yes, he is criminally underrated.

Edited by jurb26

I think part of the reason some feel DeSean Jackson is under rated while others do not has to do with if they are coming from a perspective of standard or PPR scoring.

Here is where Jackson was ranked compared to all other WR in standard scoring leagues:

2014 17th
2013 10th
2012 58th
2011 27th
2010 16th
2009 4th
2008 30th
PPR leagues:
2014 24th
2013 16th
2012 61st
2011 32nd
2010 20th
2009 12th
2008 22nd
So Jackson is clearly more valuable in standard leagues compared to PPR leagues.

DJax wasn't WR20 last year, he was WR17. That was in a new offense with terrible QB play and battling injuries. The difference between him and WR35 was about 3 points per game. That IS a lot of difference.

18. Cooper, Amari OAK WR

20. Allen, Keenan SDC WR

21. Tate, Golden DET WR

22. White, Kevin CHI WR

DJax has finished outside of the top 30 once in his career, an 11 game season. He's finished in the top 17 4 times and in the top 10 twice. The list of guys going ahead of him is absurd. Yes, he is criminally underrated.

But who drafts in july......by the time we are really drafting you won't see the same value.

18. Cooper, Amari OAK WR

20. Allen, Keenan SDC WR

21. Tate, Golden DET WR

22. White, Kevin CHI WR

But who drafts in july......by the time we are really drafting you won't see the same value.
That could be the case. If he does rise as the season approaches then I'll certainly alter my stance. Until it happens though, he's a tremendous value in any format. Edited by jurb26

18. Cooper, Amari OAK WR

20. Allen, Keenan SDC WR

21. Tate, Golden DET WR

22. White, Kevin CHI WR

A lot of industry insiders and hardcore players, actually.

Things may change but that's due to all the moving parts around him as much as anyone changing their opinion of Jackson himself.

For instance I think the reason he's being drafted so low right now has as much to do with the RGIII/Gruden soap opera as anything else. If RGIII looks good in the preseason then Jacksons draft stock will sky rocket no matter how DJax looks/plays before the season.

Precisely. Gruden spent his entire first season throwing away the advantages handed to him by the existing roster. A skilled set of agile ZBS Olinemen? Swap to a power scheme. Your most skilled RB with limited passing game skills? Stress RB targets. A QB whose best play is improvisational? Constrain him into a pocket passer.

Now the "position switch" at wideout? Being skeptical is prudent.

• Like 2

There is definitely some value there now if you are some expert that apparently drafts on 4th of July weekend, I think you see him get back at least to mid 20's range if not higher closer to most drafts. You also have to factor in with him the end of year total looks OK but a lot of those points get left on your bench as he can put together a few clunkers in a row then explodes for a big game. His production relies on the home run.

I think part of the reason Jackson is ranked low is because of his deep ball nature. When he has games where he connects on a deep ball he tends to have great scoring games. when he does not his scoring is low. Last year in PPR he had 4 games over 20 points and 6 games in single digits. In conventional scoring he had 4 games over 15 points and 6 games below 5 points. Those kind of fluctuations tend to cost FF teams wins. If he had a lower standard deviation in points per game, I think he would be ranked higher.

Edited by dhockster
  • Like 1

The position switch has me more worried than anything. I think Garcon may actually be the sneaky value.

Good point.

Yeah, it wouldn't really be all that surprising if both Garcon and Reed ate up much bigger pieces of the passing offense. Reed is always such a wildcard. It's easy to discoint him but if he's ever healthy....

I think part of the reason Jackson is ranked low is because of his deep ball nature. When he has games where he connects on a deep ball he tends to have great scoring games. when he does not his scoring is low. Last year in PPR he had 4 games over 20 points and 6 games in single digits. In conventional scoring he had 4 games over 15 points and 6 games below 5 points. Those kind of fluctuations tend to cost FF teams wins. If he had a lower standard deviation in points per game, I think he would be ranked higher.

That's a solid point for traditional leagues but the actual pay leagues right now are mostly best ball and in best ball Jackson should be going higher than in traditional leagues for precisely the reasons you mentioned.

I only pay attention to adp in payed leagues.