Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
austinball

DeSean Jackson

Reportedly, they had actual offers on the table for him...and they still released him instead of even grabbing a late pick. Major, major red flags around.

no way

why would they do that

Schefter was the one who said they had teams interested in a deal. Just passing it along...

it makes 0 sense

if i could throw out my trash, or sell it to the neighbor for a nickle, I take the nickle

Not if you know your trash is radioactive, and you wouldn't be able to look your neighbor in the eye as he and his wife return home from chemotherapy every day.

• Like 2

Man I wish Detroit could afford him. DJax + Calvin?! *faint*

Golden Tate is rolling in his grave from this comment

Reportedly, they had actual offers on the table for him...and they still released him instead of even grabbing a late pick. Major, major red flags around.

no way

why would they do that

Schefter was the one who said they had teams interested in a deal. Just passing it along...

it makes 0 sense

if i could throw out my trash, or sell it to the neighbor for a nickle, I take the nickle

Not if you know your trash is radioactive, and you wouldn't be able to look your neighbor in the eye as he and his wife return home from chemotherapy every day.

Lol

SF is where I'll place my bet, for the heck of it

Edited by Ketamine Dreams

no way

why would they do that

it makes 0 sense

Let alone the fact that your greedy indiscretion would prevent you from selling anything to any of your neighbors ever again. Not worth a nickel. Equivalent of a slimy FF owner that trades a player out for the year to an unknowing owner. I admire Roseman on principle.

I've got Decker and DJax on my dynasty team. Not so sure this off-season has been good to me there.

Dumb question, not sure of the rule, but when you gut a guy like this and he signs somewhere for big money, do you get a compensatory pick?

Or should I say, is there potential to get one, or is it just strictly free agents that you lose/sign that factor in/?

Edited by ghostguy123

Golden Tate is rolling in his grave from this comment

:lol: Yeah, I'm one who wasn't too keen on the Tate signing. Would MUCH rather that money go towards DJax!

Why have the second most overrated WR in the NFL when you could have both the first and second most.

Dumb question, not sure of the rule, but when you gut a guy like this and he signs somewhere for big money, do you get a compensatory pick?

Or should I say, is there potential to get one, or is it just strictly free agents that you lose/sign that factor in/?

They cut him, so I don't believe Philly will get anything.

They cut him, so I don't believe Philly will get anything.

They didnt lose him, they released him. They should get nothing but the egg on their faces.

it's really the opposite. If Jackson was a minimum salary player, he would have been booted off a long time ago.

You're not going to boot a Pro Bowl player making $500k unless it's an impossible situation. People forget that it's a business, first and foremost.

Yes you would. If DJax was currently making $500k and counted almost nothing against the cap, he would have been gone immediately either by trade or cut. The thing keeping him here was the contract. People balked at a trade because of the cap hit and the eagles finally just bit the bullet because what he did, whatever it was that was the final straw, justified them wasting the cap space.

It wasn't about the money.

it's really the opposite. If Jackson was a minimum salary player, he would have been booted off a long time ago.

You're not going to boot a Pro Bowl player making $500k unless it's an impossible situation. People forget that it's a business, first and foremost.

Yes you would. If DJax was currently making $500k and counted almost nothing against the cap, he would have been gone immediately either by trade or cut. The thing keeping him here was the contract. People balked at a trade because of the cap hit and the eagles finally just bit the bullet because what he did, whatever it was that was the final straw, justified them wasting the cap space.

It wasn't about the money.

Agree to disagree. A player performing at a high level w/ minimal cap impact is not always an easy cut.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/some-philly-clubs-cut-desean-eagles-did

Some Philly clubs cut DeSean before Eagles did

March 28, 2014, 8:30 pm

Speculation regarding DeSean Jackson’s impending departure from the Eagles swirled for the past few weeks, but the process that led to it started long before that.

CSN’s Derrick Gunn -- who reported last week that the Eagles tried to trade Jackson last year -- spoke Friday on "Philly Sports Talk" and provided further insight into the potential reasoning behind the move, both football and non-football related.

“No. 1, since DeSean arrived in Philadelphia, he has been a problem off the field for the Eagles,” Gunn said. “There have been a number of nightclubs in the area that have basically told DeSean or told DeSean through second parties, ‘We don’t want you back in our nightclubs because he is a disruptive factor.’”

But Jackson's off-field antics/issues weren’t limited to Philly. He flaunted his Hollywood lifestyle -- remember the tweet with the $25,000 bar tab? -- and at one point allegedly owed former agent Drew Rosenhaus eight times that.

Then this offseason, there’s the mystery regarding the burglary at his house. Initially it was reported that $250,000 in cash and jewelry were taken. Now, NBC10 has confirmed, the amount of cash is only $20,000. Also stolen was a golden diamond watch worth $110,000 and a handgun.

And then, of course, the kicker: The NJ.com report that came out Friday detailing Jackson’s connection to a pair of Los Angeles gang members. The story quotes a source within the Eagles’ organization as saying the team is “concerned about having him around the younger players.”

Which brings us to Jackson the player -- or more specifically, the teammate.

“I talked to someone this morning that basically said that when a player is one of your highest paid players in the Eagles’ organization, especially with the new culture and the new attitude, the new direction they’re trying to build now in Chip Kelly’s regime,” Gunn said, “they expect you to hold yourself to a certain standard both in the locker room and outside the locker room as well.

“And there’s a lot of stuff that probably hasn’t even come out about DeSean yet that we’re going to find out in the days, weeks, months and even a year from now that we’re going to learn about, but he was not the kind of player in the locker room that the Eagles wanted to have an influence on the younger players.”

“I was told by a couple of sources that he did not have the best work ethic in the locker room.”

Which is nothing new; that was Jackson’s reputation coming out of Cal. But Jackson wasn’t the model employee, either.

“A team has exit interviews with each and every player. DeSean Jackson left the facility before he had his exit interview with the Eagles,” Gunn said.

But not before telling reporters he deserved a new contract.

Despite all of that, this story may be far from over.

“I am a little bit surprised that it happened today,” Gunn said of Jackson’s dismissal. “I thought the Eagles would hold onto him maybe until it got a little bit closer to the draft, maybe a few teams out there would be desperate enough to know that they’re in a position where they couldn’t’ draft a certain receiver that they want and that maybe a lot of the stuff was on the surface wasn’t as bad. But for the Eagles to just cut a guy in his prime coming off three Pro Bowls who can do a lot of damage as a wide receiver and a punt returner, that tells you this story is a lot bigger than even what we know of at this point.”

“A team has exit interviews with each and every player. DeSean Jackson left the facility before he had his exit interview with the Eagles,” Gunn said.

Wow.

Wow.

considering the circumstances i can understand why he wouldn't want to do an "exit interview"

• Like 1

Wow.

considering the circumstances i can understand why he wouldn't want to do an "exit interview"

Those happened back in January at the end of the season.

All it takes is one and it's usually the Raiders.

:lol:

Darren Connolly IV‏@DConnollyNFL17m

Source: #Raiders and WR DeSean Jackson have entered "serious negotiations" and are working towards a deal #NFLFreeAgency

Perfect fit.

What could go wrong with him being an hour flight away from his gang buddies?

Source: #Raiders and WR DeSean Jackson have entered "serious negotiations" and are working towards a deal #NFLFreeAgency

Perfect fit.

His gang buddies are just across the Marin bridge in San Quentin, so make that 15 minutes. HTH

• Like 1

Perfect fit.

Gang affiliations are encouraged in Oakland.

Perfect fit.

His gang buddies are just across the Marin bridge in San Quentin, so make that 15 minutes. HTH

Try the next locker.

A team has exit interviews with each and every player. DeSean Jackson left the facility before he had his exit interview with the Eagles, Gunn said.

Wow.

I think they meant for each season every player has an exit interview.

I'd be happy with a Oakland landing spot - he's still a dangerous receiver, would be happy with him out of the NFC....

“No. 1, since DeSean arrived in Philadelphia, he has been a problem off the field for the Eagles,” Gunn said. “There have been a number of nightclubs in the area that have basically told DeSean or told DeSean through second parties, ‘We don’t want you back in our nightclubs because he is a disruptive factor.’”

But Jackson's off-field antics/issues weren’t limited to Philly. He flaunted his Hollywood lifestyle -- remember the tweet with the $25,000 bar tab? -- and at one point allegedly owed former agent Drew Rosenhaus eight times that.

I can attest to this. I've been in the club with him there a few times. I've even spoke to bartenders and waitresses about him. They say he doesn't even leave a tip. Mind you his entourage is probably in the teens, if not more, and most of the places will host him for free. He's clearly not a class act. I wouldn't say he's a gang banger either though. He's exactly who you see on TV acting like a punk.

Are the Chiefs still in the hunt?

4.6million cap room and thats about what takes to sign your rookies.

I don't think they ever were in it. Reid would have gotten rid of Desean years ago if he had anything worthwhile to put out there.

Visiting with the Redskins on Monday.

Not really about DJax but just a FF observation, Gruden seems to be quietly (?) seeking out a 2nd serious WR option for Griffin this year.

Not really about DJax but just a FF observation, Gruden seems to be quietly (?) seeking out a 2nd serious WR option for Griffin this year.

Thankfully.

DJax would be a great fit with this offense and RG3.

Garçon, DJax, Roberts, Reed, Morris.

Thankfully.

He and Meangelo Hall would be quite the leaders. Wow.

Thankfully.

Deangelo is actually a great leader on our defense, despite the occasional stupid play. He's passionate. One of the few true Redskins, no matter what other teams fans think.

I'm well aware of how much of a punk DJax is though. Point taken.

Thankfully.

Deangelo is actually a great leader on our defense, despite the occasional stupid play. He's passionate. One of the few true Redskins, no matter what other teams fans think.

I'm well aware of how much of a punk DJax is though. Point taken.

Yeah I guess I can only speak from seeing him play PHI and of course the DJax gang sign clip is a great reminder of how that goes.

Hate to see a talent like him go but with the leading teams being skins and raiders actually looking. ....not the best run franchises where you think Chip might have screwed up. Will see I guess.

Royoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs have dropped out of the running for free agent DeSean Jackson.

This should send up an immediate red flag to other interested teams, based on coach Andy Reid's history with Jackson. Kansas City also has a wide receiver need. Per RapSheet, the Chiefs "did research" on D-Jax, and opted against signing him. Jackson is scheduled to visit the Redskins on Monday. Many national reporters expect Dan Snyder to out-bid the field for 27-year-old Jackson.
Related: Chiefs, Redskins

Honestly, I'd be less than thrilled if he went to the 'Skins. Nothing like playing your former team twice a year to exact vengeance.

I think if the Skins don't sign Jackson, and if any of the other WR's don't blossom unexpectedly into a real WR2 threat, they'll draft a WR in round 2 or 3. They've been pretty bereft of talent at the WR position for a long time now with the exception of Garcon.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, the LAPD has gone on record to say Jackson has no gang affiliations at all. They contacted him back in 2011 in connection with a homicide, but said it was a "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" type of thing. If you come from a bad neighborhood, it's inevitable you'll know someone who goes down a bad road. Their brief investigation showed Jackson had zero involvement with anything illegal.

Methinks the Eagles got hosed. The timing of that "gang connection report" pushed them into a knee jerk reaction. They could have sat tight and got a mid round pick for him, if not better.

ETA: it makes you wonder exactly who was responsible for that report's info. It'd be a dangerous yet cunning move by Rosenhaus to get Jackson cut instead of traded so he could sign a new large contract.

Edited by flysack

Interestingly enough, the LAPD has gone on record to say Jackson has no gang affiliations at all. They contacted him back in 2011 in connection with a homicide, but said it was a "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" type of thing. If you come from a bad neighborhood, it's inevitable you'll know someone who goes down a bad road. Their brief investigation showed Jackson had zero involvement with anything illegal.

Methinks the Eagles got hosed. The timing of that "gang connection report" pushed them into a knee jerk reaction. They could have sat tight and got a mid round pick for him, if not better.

ETA: it makes you wonder exactly who was responsible for that report's info. It'd be a dangerous yet cunning move by Rosenhaus to get Jackson cut instead of traded so he could sign a new large contract.

The connection to the murders was simply a piece of the puzzle.

By knee jerk, do you mean like waiting 3 months to make the decision? This decision wasn't made this week

That would be a ton of work for Rosenhaus to do to not see a dollar, no?

Edited by Bigboy10182000

RE: the murder connection. A lot of people are looking at this wrong. Ask yourself this, why does the LAPD even mention his name in connection with a murder? He shouldn't be ANYWHERE on their radar.

The connection to the murders was simply a piece of the puzzle.

By knee jerk, do you mean like waiting 3 months to make the decision? This decision wasn't made this week

That would be a ton of work for Rosenhaus to do to not see a dollar, no?

Joel Segal down? From a business standpoint, $10.25 mil is the line in the sand. It was what he was scheduled to make this year and it will be interesting to see what he is guaranteed in a new contract.

RE: the murder connection. A lot of people are looking at this wrong. Ask yourself this, why does the LAPD even mention his name in connection with a murder? He shouldn't be ANYWHERE on their radar.

That's incredibly naive. Or maybe idealistic. But consider where he's from. A lot of people he grew up with went down a bad road. That's unavoidable, and it's not a situation unique to Jackson. Not even close.

• Like 1