What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2013 Thread (1 Viewer)

Man, I hope Griffin is healthy this year and beyond. Hopefully the injury will just be a footnote in a long and successful career.

From Keim's practice notes:

• Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather, trying to return for the opener after ACL surgery on Dec. 15, now has another issue. Meriweather did not practice Monday because of a sore groin, though it's uncertain if this will keep him out of practice when they return Wednesday.
• The Redskins named their captains Monday, with two each on offense and defense. The offensive captains: quarterback Robert Griffin III and left tackle Trent Williams. The defensive captains: linebacker London Fletcher and nose tackle Barry Cofield. Also, they named Doughty as the special teams captain Monday.
• Shanahan on keeping corner Jerome Murphy and safety Jose Gumbs: "That was pretty easy. Murphy is one heck of a special teams player. When he has played corner, he's played it well. He's got speed, he's got size and he's been dominating on special teams. And Gumbs came in and competed. That's what we tell these players. We don't care if you're a first-round draft choice or a free agent, we're going to play the best players. And Gumbs came in and played well."

It's always annoying to have to wait until Monday night for the week 1 game. At least this one's at 7 PM instead of 8:30.

First, regular season depth chart released:

Code:
OFFENSEPOS	FIRST	                SECOND	        THIRD	        OTHERWR	Pierre Garçon	        Aldrick Robinson		LT	Trent Williams	        Tom Compton		LG	Kory Lichtensteiger	Josh LeRibeus		C	Will Montgomery	        Kory Lichtensteiger		RG	Chris Chester	        Adam Gettis		RT	Tyler Polumbus	        Tom Compton		TE	Fred Davis	        Logan Paulsen	Niles Paul	Jordan ReedWR	Joshua Morgan	        Leonard Hankerson	        Santana Moss	QB	Robert Griffin III	Kirk Cousins	Rex Grossman	Pat WhiteFB	Darrel Young			RB	Alfred Morris	        Roy Helu, Jr.	Evan Royster	Chris Thompson
Code:
DEFENSEPOS	FIRST	                SECOND	        THIRD	     OTHERDE	Kedric Golston	        Chris Baker		NT	Barry Cofield	        Chris Neild		DE	Stephen Bowen	        Phillip Merling		OLB	Ryan Kerrigan	        Darryl Tapp		ILB	London Fletcher	        Nick Barnett		ILB	Perry Riley	        Bryan Kehl		OLB	Brian Orakpo	        Brandon Jenkins		CB	DeAngelo Hall	        E.J. Biggers		SS	Brandon Meriweather	Reed Doughty	Jose Gumbs	FS	Bacarri Rambo	        Jordan Pugh		CB	Josh Wilson	        David Amerson	Jerome Murphy
Code:
SPECIAL TEAMSPOS	FIRST	        SECOND	        THIRD	         OTHERPK	Kai Forbath			P	Sav Rocca			H	Sav Rocca			PR	Chris Thompson	Santana Moss	Joshua Morgan	KR	Chris Thompson	Niles Paul	Aldrick Robinson	LS	Nick Sundberg

30 point favorites is more like it. ;)

I do think the Eagles will be fun to watch this year though. If that offense translates to the NFL. The last time a great offensive minded college coach tried his hand (Spurrier) it didn't work so well. :X

Not sure if we mention fantasy football in this thread much.

In my league, I took a flier on the Redskins defense. If the secondary comes together, this can be a decent ff defense. This league also give out points for give up few points and few yards, so a good defense can actually score a lot of points.

In the FBG subscriber contest, I got Roy Helu, Leonard Hankerson, Kai Forbath, and the Redskins Defense. I believe Helu will far exceed the projections as the Redskins diversify the offense this year. And since he is a big play guy, that will work well in the best ball format. Forbath and the d are there since you need a few good, cheap options at those positions.

Last year, I had RGIII and took late fliers on Royster and Morris, trying to get the Redskins starting RB. It was much harder to draft Redskins this year.

Interesting how they list Moss as third team. I assume it's just that he's the slot receiver, which isn't shown on the depth chart, and they don't plan on him being an X or Z backup in the event Garcon or Morgan go down.

Interesting how they list Moss as third team. I assume it's just that he's the slot receiver, which isn't shown on the depth chart, and they don't plan on him being an X or Z backup in the event Garcon or Morgan go down.
That is probably the reason, but I saw at least one tweet (from Zac Boyer, I believe) that mentioned that this first depth chart was unofficial and put together by the PR staff.

Even though it should probably be taken with a large grain of salt, I don't think there's any reason to believe Moss won't be the #3 WR in use (targets/receptions/etc.).

Looks like the Skins are 3 point favorites.
3.5 everywhere I've seen.

Kinda worrisom IMO. You'd expect a team coming off a 10-6 season playing at home against a team coming off a 4-12 season to be favored by more than 3.5. 3.5 is basically saying that the teams would be even on a neutral field. Seems waaaayyyy too low at first glance, and when I see a line that seems way too low I always assume someone smarter than me knows something about the game/teams that I don't.

Looks like the Skins are 3 point favorites.
3.5 everywhere I've seen.

Kinda worrisom IMO. You'd expect a team coming off a 10-6 season playing at home against a team coming off a 4-12 season to be favored by more than 3.5. 3.5 is basically saying that the teams would be even on a neutral field. Seems waaaayyyy too low at first glance, and when I see a line that seems way too low I always assume someone smarter than me knows something about the game/teams that I don't.
I think it's a combo of Chip Kelly love, cautious RG3 expectations, and the assumption that the Skins D is going to be fairly bad again.

I don't get the Chip Kelly love, I think it's definitely fair to be cautious of RG3, and I think the Skins D will be a bit better than last year.

Most people agree Philly's D will be horrible. Assuming Griffin is in pretty good shape and relatively sharp throwing the ball, I don't see how they don't score. Then the main question is Chip Kelly vs the Skins D.

I'm optimistic (shocker).

I havent been as excited for a season in my life! Tough schedule but we should know early where we stand.
I remember being excited for 2006. This definitely has a different feel, though.
I have learned to temper my expections, but I am quite optimistic about the Redskins this year. I think the offense will be much more diversified, which will make it even more potent. Look for Helu to get a number of carries, especially have the ball pitched to him on option plays and 3rd down plays. RGIII will run significantly less. And Morris will get more breaks.

I believe the defense will be greatly improved. At a minimum, there will be better pass rush with Orakpo back and more interceptions with Rambo and Amerson.

I havent been as excited for a season in my life! Tough schedule but we should know early where we stand.
I remember being excited for 2006. This definitely has a different feel, though.
more interceptions with Rambo and Amerson.
I hope you are correct but I worry about that young secondary.
I fully expect the defense to give up some big plays. I think they had issues with that in the beginning of last year and it got better as the season progressed.

9-7 this year. The team will be a little better but the schedule's way tougher. That's what happens when you win your division, so it's a good problem to have.

The young secondary will look bad early in the season. I can live with that if they progress during the season though. I think Amerson will, I still have my doubts about Rambo. Losing Thomas for the year was a big blow.

Losing Carriker for the year was a big blow also, but I honestly think he's done due to injuries. I don't think he'll ever be healthy enough to contribute much for long. The younger D-linmen need to step up.

Having 2 guys suspended for the first 4 games hurts a lot. The Skins lead the league in drug suspensions by a mile.

Thankfully Banks is gone. Running sideways and putting the ball on the ground did him in, and should have done him in sooner. I don't get the fascination with Niles Paul at TE, seems like another pipe dream. He's too small to block well and can't catch the ball. But he's awesome on special team coverage and they need him badly for that. Reed has a chance to develop into a good TE. And if Davis isn't hurt again he should have a big year this year.

Josh Morgan will continue making catches while tightly covered, which is a good thing because he is seldom if ever wide open. Let's keep track of the number of plays all year where he's wide open. I think the total will be in single digits.

A lot of this season rests on Garcon's foot and Griffin's legs. If they hold up the offense will be highly productive again. Alfred Morris was heroic last year and I don't see his play dropping off this year. Helu's preseason was a surprise, he's usually hurt by now. He's seeing the holes better this year.

Losing Richard Crawford is a big deal. The guy was getting better on defense and is a fine returner.

Pass rush this year is critical, especially early with the young secondary. They collapsed the pocket a lot in preseason but that was preseason and who knows if it will carry over.

John Keim and Rich Campbell, 2 guys we've followed for a couple years, have both been promoted since last year. Deservedly so, they do a great job.

I'm pumped for tomorrow night. Good to see all of you again.

Last edited by a moderator:
9-7 this year. The team will be a little better but the schedule's way tougher. That's what happens when you win your division, so it's a good problem to have.

The young secondary will look bad early in the season. I can live with that if they progress during the season though. I think Amerson will, I still have my doubts about Rambo. Losing Thomas for the year was a big blow.

Losing Carriker for the year was a big blow also, but I honestly think he's done due to injuries. I don't think he'll ever be healthy enough to contribute much for long. The younger D-linmen need to step up.

Having 2 guys suspended for the first 4 games hurts a lot. The Skins lead the league in drug suspensions by a mile.

Thankfully Banks is gone. Running sideways and putting the ball on the ground did him in, and should have done him in sooner. I don't get the fascination with Niles Paul at TE, seems like another pipe dream. He's too small to block well and can't catch the ball. But he's awesome on special team coverage and they need him badly for that. Reed has a chance to develop into a good TE. And if Davis isn't hurt again he should have a big year this year.

Josh Morgan will continue making catches while tightly covered, which is a good thing because he is seldom if ever wide open. Let's keep track of the number of plays all year where he's wide open. I think the total will be in single digits.

A lot of this season rests on Garcon's foot and Griffin's legs. If they hold up the offense will be highly productive again. Alfred Morris was heroic last year and I don't see his play dropping off this year. Helu's preseason was a surprise, he's usually hurt by now. He's seeing the holes better this year.

Losing Richard Crawford is a big deal. The guy was getting better on defense and is a fine returner.

Pass rush this year is critical, especially early with the young secondary. They collapsed the pocket a lot in preseason but that was preseason and who knows if it will carry over.

John Keim and Rich Campbell, 2 guys we've followed for a couple years, have both been promoted since last year. Deservedly so, they do a great job.

about where i am as well. Very tough schedule and i think the Cowgirls will be tough this season. But really looking forward to watching this team. Should be fun!

about where i am as well. Very tough schedule and i think the Cowgirls will be tough this season. But really looking forward to watching this team. Should be fun!
10-6 and winning a weak NFC East.

The Cowboys always look good on paper, but their play is always less than the sum of their parts. They will somehow fall short.

The Giants did not look good last night. They have a lot of injuries.

Even if Chip Kelley is successful with the offense, I don't think the Eagles get anywhere near .500 with their defense.

If we pick up where we left off last season (but with a healthy RG3), I don't think 10-6 is our ceiling at all.

Im nervous. Have my rgIII jersey on. Ready to go. I think there will be some sloppyness. since he hasnt had any preseason. Hoping it only lasts a quarter or so.

All I hear all day on the radio and from Skins fans that live everywhere around me, is about how this is the best team in 20 years.

"Fantastic"

"Deep at almost every position"

"Most athletic in team history"

"One of the best defenses in the NFC"

"More skilled than other NFC teams"

"Super Bowl is a reasonable goal"

After two years of the Debbie Downer shtick (maybe longer, but that's how long Ive lived here), now they are the best franchise in sports.

Two things I can say for sure:

I think expectations are way too high for this team

Redskins fans and media>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cowboys fans and media

I would root against the Cowboys like they were playing my team every week, I don't feel that way about the Redskins. Expectations are good, I just think it might be at least one year early. I'll never be a fan of the team, but them being good is good for the spirits of the area. Since a lot of these people are miserable unfriendly #####, I think it's a good thing. :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread