What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

trip to Dallas (1 Viewer)

azgroover

Footballguy
Going to Dallas in about a month for ASU/ND and Cowboys/Broncos.

Would like to start looking at hotels and trying to get a lay of the land this week.

We're a group of 35-40 year olds and none of us have been to Dallas before...Any particular part of town we should aim to stay in? Would like to avoid DUIs and be able to walk back to hotel rooms from any nearby bar districts.

Other area attraction suggestions besides Dealey Plaza would be appreciated too.

TIA

Stay in Fort Worth. Much more tourist friendly for what you are looking to accomplish. Stay in the Omni if you can swing it. It's not the only hotel, but it is the one that is in the best location for what you probably have in mind.

Going to 2 football games at the death star in 2 days is going to chew up most of your trip as it is.

Stay in Fort Worth. Much more tourist friendly for what you are looking to accomplish. Stay in the Omni if you can swing it. It's not the only hotel, but it is the one that is in the best location for what you probably have in mind.

Going to 2 football games at the death star in 2 days is going to chew up most of your trip as it is.
Ok, I'll look into Ft Worth.

We're ambivalent about the Cowboys game, but since we won't leave until the following day, we figured why not. We don't have tix yet, so if we can figure out something more fun, we'd probably be down. Wish the Stars were playing that night. Instead they're playing during the ASU game. Maybe the Rangers will be hosting a game then!

You guys should try to make it to Pecan Lodge for some awesome BBQ over the weekend. It is the best barbeque in the Dallas area in my opinion.

If you stay in Dallas, stay either downtown or Market Center or Uptown. You'll probably want to hang out in Uptown or Greenville. You can cab to downtown or Market Center from either of those. And those two areas have good Priceline 4* hotels. Except be wary of the Sheraton downtown. That place kind of sucks and Priceline puts it at a 4*.

There's nothing by the stadium. So Dallas or Fort Worth is where you'll want to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you litterally want to walk to the bars in Uptown Dallas you will have to pay to stay at some nicer more boutique hotels like ZaZa, the W or maybe the Stoneleigh (I have friends that get nice rates from this place). If you stay downtown Dallas you will get your more traditional chain hotels but it is a short cab ride to Uptown, Deep Elum or Greenville. Uptown will likely be more your ara given your demographics. Restaurants are too plentiful to name (depends on what you want) and most will be within 10 minutes walk or drive from the Uptown/Downtown area. Also agree that there are some good hotels over near the Market Center but be ready to cab it from there. The Rennaisance over there is nice and usually has a decent rate.

I second going to Pecan Lodge in the Farmer's Market if you can get there early - OMG is it good.

If you stay in Fort Worth try to get near Sun Dance Square - lots of restaurants, bars and entertainment. Then there is the stockyards and a great place named Joe T Garcias to have ritas and fajitas out in their huge beautiful outdoor seating area.

Culdeus is right about the games chewing up your time plus Dallas is more about partying and drinking than site seeing. There are things like the Arboretum which will be nice that time of year but weekends are meant to be spent sitting out at a bar checking out the talent on McKinney or other bars in that area.

You guys should try to make it to Pecan Lodge for some awesome BBQ over the weekend. It is the best barbeque in the Dallas area in my opinion.
:thumbup:

Rudy's recently opened up an outpost near my office here in AZ. If Pecan Lodge is on par, I'm in!

Pecan Lodge mudholes Rudy andyday. So does the new place here Babb Brothers for that matter. Not to say that Rudy's isnt good - it has it place. But Pecan Lodge is on another level.

If you litterally want to walk to the bars in Uptown Dallas you will have to pay to stay at some nicer more boutique hotels like ZaZa, the W or maybe the Stoneleigh (I have friends that get nice rates from this place). If you stay downtown Dallas you will get your more traditional chain hotels but it is a short cab ride to Uptown, Deep Elum or Greenville. Uptown will likely be more your ara given your demographics. Restaurants are too plentiful to name (depends on what you want) and most will be within 10 minutes walk or drive from the Uptown/Downtown area. Also agree that there are some good hotels over near the Market Center but be ready to cab it from there. The Rennaisance over there is nice and usually has a decent rate.

I second going to Pecan Lodge in the Farmer's Market if you can get there early - OMG is it good.

If you stay in Fort Worth try to get near Sun Dance Square - lots of restaurants, bars and entertainment. Then there is the stockyards and a great place named Joe T Garcias to have ritas and fajitas out in their huge beautiful outdoor seating area.

Culdeus is right about the games chewing up your time plus Dallas is more about partying and drinking than site seeing. There are things like the Arboretum which will be nice that time of year but weekends are meant to be spent sitting out at a bar checking out the talent on McKinney or other bars in that area.
What is the Stockyards area like vs. Sundance Sq? Both areas keep coming up for me on Tripadvisor.

Do you agree that Ft. Worth >> Dallas?

Pecan Lodge mudholes Rudy andyday. So does the new place here Babb Brothers for that matter. Not to say that Rudy's isnt good - it has it place. But Pecan Lodge is on another level.
Just reading the Pecan Lodge reviews on Yelp. Someone is advising to get better service, you should order 5 lbs of meat. :lmao: Probably doable with this group I'm going with.

What is the Stockyards area like vs. Sundance Sq? Both areas keep coming up for me on Tripadvisor.

Do you agree that Ft. Worth >> Dallas?
I personally prefer Dallas but I live here and know my way around better. Dallas , for me, has better bars, music and scenery than Ft Worth but it comes at a price in that it takes a little more effort to get there if you are not wanting to drive.

Sundance Square in Fort Worth is set up nice because you can do a lot in a relatively small area with a crowd. This is Personally there is nothing to the Stockyards unless there is an event going on there - think old west cattle drives, etc.

To be frank they are about the same distance to Arlington and the stadium so take your pick Dallas will be a little more expensive with more options but both are quite nice to visit

I wouldn't go to any bars in uptown unless you want see a bunch of half-naked college girls getting sloshed.

La Quinta on 75/Henderson = Pro-tip. Close to everything, fraction of the price. It's dumpy, but it's a room. Save you $$$ for the fun.

Ok, I'll look into Ft Worth.

We're ambivalent about the Cowboys game, but since we won't leave until the following day, we figured why not. We don't have tix yet, so if we can figure out something more fun, we'd probably be down. Wish the Stars were playing that night. Instead they're playing during the ASU game. Maybe the Rangers will be hosting a game then!
I wouldn't stay in Ft. Worth but that's just b/c I think it's boring and not very interesting. Neither is Dallas but I'd advise staying locally near downtown @ Zaza. Fun hotel that won't break the bank and chock full of wimmenz at pool.

Would scrap the Cowboy game. Going out to Jerryworld is a beating IMO. No public transportation so you're stuck with a long and costly cab ride. Considering half the allure for out of towners is seeing the monstrosity of a stadium itself, going to back to back games wouldn't really be worth the hassle.

If you're the type that wants to shell out $500 a night for a hotel room and hang out with the dooshiest subset of Dallas at over-priced and over-hyped bars the Zaza/Uptown recommendations are solid.

I would agree that staying in Ft Worth is the better option. Plenty of good restaurants and bars, and it's just easier for visitors to get around. Maybe spend an afternoon at the Rahr brewery.

Don't know a lot...but I've never seen a parade of women like I saw at Sfuzzi for dinner, then The Standard Pour....Owen Wilson was at the latter.

Would scrap the Cowboy game. Going out to Jerryworld is a beating IMO. No public transportation so you're stuck with a long and costly cab ride. Considering half the allure for out of towners is seeing the monstrosity of a stadium itself, going to back to back games wouldn't really be worth the hassle.

If you're the type that wants to shell out $500 a night for a hotel room and hang out with the dooshiest subset of Dallas at over-priced and over-hyped bars the Zaza/Uptown recommendations are solid.

I would agree that staying in Ft Worth is the better option. Plenty of good restaurants and bars, and it's just easier for visitors to get around. Maybe spend an afternoon at the Rahr brewery.
Zaza is sold out, so it's moot at this point. I'm leaning with you on the Cowboy game, but a couple of these guys perceive it as some sort of bucket list type thing. We'll have a rental car mostly because we heard about the lack of public transport to Cowboys AT&T stadium.

What's the lowdown with the stadium parking? Cheapest parking pass on Stubhub is $62? That seems like some bull####. One of you has to know about a secret lot nearby.

If you have your own car and it's a guys trip type of deal you could consider doing a nice steakhouse followed up with an adult establishment if that's your thing. We definitely have a ton of them. Disco Stu can recommend the best place to visit. :thumbup:

State Fair will be going on during that time if you want to walk around a big park eating bizarre fried things and getting hammered.

What's the lowdown with the stadium parking? Cheapest parking pass on Stubhub is $62? That seems like some bull####. One of you has to know about a secret lot nearby.
park at an area bar, or hotel and pay to use their shuttle. Or park in a neighborhood lot for $$

I always park at rangers stadium for $20. It's a short walk from the back of one of those lots.

Zaza is sold out, so it's moot at this point. I'm leaning with you on the Cowboy game, but a couple of these guys perceive it as some sort of bucket list type thing. We'll have a rental car mostly because we heard about the lack of public transport to Cowboys AT&T stadium.
Personally, I'd rather tailgate at the SMU game if they're home that week (so much arss there). Great area of town. Go Mustangs! F the Cowboys

MacArtist said:
La Quinta on 75/Henderson = Pro-tip. Close to everything, fraction of the price. It's dumpy, but it's a room. Save you $$$ for the fun.
This. Plus, the Henderson area is booming. Barcadia, The Old Monk and all the other bars are highly recommend along Henderson. It is a very short distance from Uptown from the hotel. If you go uptown, I recommend The Loon. Lower Greenville is really close by, as is Deep Ellum. There are also a ton of great restaurants nearby. I also dig Milo Butterfinger's and Stan's Blue Note. You should also check out Craft and Growler which is in Fair Park. If in Deep Ellum, you must check out Adairs.
I figured an old Dallas pro like you would know the hotel of which I speak. Perfect location, fraction of the price, awesome area of town to station yourself.

Thanks Mac, you've given me much to chew on. I just need to map out where all of these districts and places are. Right now, I just know the area as follows:

<----Ft Worth ---- Arlington ---- Dallas---->

Because of Yelp, Tripadvisor, and even these boards, I've been guilty in the past of overthinking travel rather than just pulling the trigger and being done with it. These guys will be good with decent, non-trendy accommodations as long as drinking and dining options are within a couple of blocks.

Off to read up on and map the LaQuinta Henderson now. Thanks GM.

Thanks Mac, you've given me much to chew on. I just need to map out where all of these districts and places are. Right now, I just know the area as follows:

<----Ft Worth ---- Arlington ---- Dallas---->

Because of Yelp, Tripadvisor, and even these boards, I've been guilty in the past of overthinking travel rather than just pulling the trigger and being done with it. These guys will be good with decent, non-trendy accommodations as long as drinking and dining options are within a couple of blocks.

Off to read up on and map the LaQuinta Henderson now. Thanks GM.
Oh yeah, you can stumble-walk to plenty of bars from this spot. Again, not a trendy hotel by any stretch, but very convenient and close to everything Mac mentioned. Close to SMU bars, lower Greenville, downtown,,,you'll literally be next door to one of the busiest highways in Dallas, which an connect you everywhere you want to go.

I can't believe there's no public transportation to Jerry World. Wasn't there a DART train that connects Dallas/Ft. Worth? A stop through Arlington out of the question?

I'm here right now. Should have been on the road back to Austin a few hours ago but it took a little longer to hack a server than we thought. So it's possible I'll be getting a room somewhere tonight and driving back in the morning. In case anyone cared.

No dart to cowboys. No demand for it. Residential density is very low in that area and few downtown workers. Its really a bad bad part of town.

If you have your own car and it's a guys trip type of deal you could consider doing a nice steakhouse followed up with an adult establishment if that's your thing. We definitely have a ton of them. Disco Stu can recommend the best place to visit. :thumbup:

State Fair will be going on during that time if you want to walk around a big park eating bizarre fried things and getting hammered.
Why not go to a gentleman's club WITH a steakhouse attached? ;)

Why not go to a gentleman's club WITH a steakhouse attached? ;)
:lmao: :thumbup:

The best thing about the La Quinta on Central is the Buzz Brews in the parking lot. A diner with great food and open 24 hours a day. Get the Hngover special soup - it is pretty good. I would never stay there though.

As far as steak in the uptwon area I would go with Nick and Sams (the original - not the grill) with Bob's (on Lemmon) and the Capital Grille at the Crescent close behind.

Heed the advice and stay away from the west end - no one goes there.

Deep Ellum is the spot for live music and relatively cheap drinks.

The best thing about the La Quinta on Central is the Buzz Brews in the parking lot. A diner with great food and open 24 hours a day. Get the Hngover special soup - it is pretty good. I would never stay there though.

As far as steak in the uptwon area I would go with Nick and Sams (the original - not the grill) with Bob's (on Lemmon) and the Capital Grille at the Crescent close behind.

Heed the advice and stay away from the west end - no one goes there.

Deep Ellum is the spot for live music and relatively cheap drinks.
Agree with N&S. Not only is it a great meal, but the scene is great also.

Parking is expensive so agree to park over by Rangers stadium and walk over. I think they had some shuttles running to the stadium also. Went to the Thanksigiving game last year and thought the trip to Jerryworld was well worth it.

Parking is expensive so agree to park over by Rangers stadium and walk over. I think they had some shuttles running to the stadium also. Went to the Thanksigiving game last year and thought the trip to Jerryworld was well worth it.
The lot I use at Ranger Stadium typically is at E Randoll Mill Rd and Nolan Ryan Expy. If you map the ballpark in Arlington you'll see it on the west side of the stadium. Then its a short walk across the bridge, through the Cowboys $65 parking and up lot and you are at Cowboys stadium.

I know that this is an old thread but going to AT&T stadium for Wrestlemania this year and had a parking question.  It looks like there is a Super Wal Mart about a quarter of a mile away.  Since I hear parking is easily over $30 do they get #####y if you park there are walk to the stadium and try to stop that.

Saw there was a Jack in the Box near their as well and thinking of trying that as well.  

Heading down to Dallas this Wed PM through Sat Afternoon... 

Staying up near Richardson and have meetings most of the day Thursday, and a lunch meeting Friday.  Looking for cool patios, bbq joints, live music, cool places to hang out, nice dive bars, etc. Will have a rental but will likely uber if I'm going to be drinking. Not so much into the "suit-wearing yuppified scene"

Thoughts on places worth checking out?  The Rustic looks pretty interesting, but I've been told it's SMU Frat-turd haven. 

Love the Rustic.  Good music, beer, and eye candy.  People of all ages will be there.  No suits.

Adair's Saloon is still my favorite dive / live music venue.  Probably had my first beer at a bar there.  Still awesome and definitely no suits.

Love the Rustic.  Good music, beer, and eye candy.  People of all ages will be there.  No suits.
Excellent... other suggestions? 

How bad are patios down there at night (8:00-11:00ish range). Looks like Thursday is going to be pretty warm (high 99, around 90 at 8pm projected). 

I would go Rustic or Truck yard

Like I mentioned, I love Adair's Saloon in Deep Ellum.  You can always start there and walk around Deep Ellum until you find something interesting.

Or do the same thing on Lower Greenville starting at Truck yard.

It's going to be hot, but after dark it will be bearable.  Not my favorite time of year for patios, but Rustic and Truck yard are outdoors.

I would go Rustic or Truck yard

Like I mentioned, I love Adair's Saloon in Deep Ellum.  You can always start there and walk around Deep Ellum until you find something interesting.

Or do the same thing on Lower Greenville starting at Truck yard.

It's going to be hot, but after dark it will be bearable.  Not my favorite time of year for patios, but Rustic and Truck yard are outdoors.
It's been 10-15 years but I seem to recall Lower Greenville being pretty yuppietastic. My friend at the time joked about all the BMWs. 

Thanks for the heads up!

If you are into barbecue and don't mind the long lines, you definitely have to go to the Pecan Lodge.  Some of the best brisket i have had in such a long time.  

Users who are viewing this thread