What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (1 Viewer)

Yeah, that's the rub. They could address New York easily but this would be difficult. With 3 episodes left it's unlikely they address it more. But they could imply things without them even knowing what happened. 
At least they referenced Thanos. No impact and no spoilers. Yet.

At least they referenced Thanos. No impact and no spoilers. Yet.
we giggled at the way they are tip toeing around it :)   You can see the writers desperately trying to get to the last episode and still have it be in "real time" so they can avoid losing some of the cast.

we giggled at the way they are tip toeing around it :)   You can see the writers desperately trying to get to the last episode and still have it be in "real time" so they can avoid losing some of the cast.
Yeah I think this has been a really good season but they aren't handling this very well. Might've been better to avoid it completely and operate under a timeline that's far earlier than what we saw in Infinity War.

Yeah I think this has been a really good season but they aren't handling this very well. Might've been better to avoid it completely and operate under a timeline that's far earlier than what we saw in Infinity War.
It is a hard issue especially when they have not yet been renewed.   I have no idea how they intend to end this  The producers have said the effects of Thanos will be felt but we only have two episodes left and I don't believe it is going to end what could be the entire series by dusting a few regulars.

The problem I have with this season is how horrible the sets are.  The meeting room for the Confederacy is straight out of a 1983 science fiction B-movie starring a budding child star.  I get that the Lighthouse was supposed to have been constructed in the 80s, but when they teleport to the Confederacy or are on board the alien ship, it should look better than something a high school set designer dreamt up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had forgotten that IW was supposed to be released May 4th and was moved up a week.  Unfortunately Shield could not move up to coincide.  They mentioned Thanos in the May 4th ep, and it sounded like the shield ep happens in the beginning to middle of the movie,  so I hope there is more to come in connection with the events in IW in this Friday's ep?

As much as I have enjoyed Shield this season hasnt been my fave.  Maybe the anticipation of IW and how well they have tied into the movies in the past has caused a let down.  And killing Dove Cameron.  

I had forgotten that IW was supposed to be released May 4th and was moved up a week.  Unfortunately Shield could not move up to coincide.  They mentioned Thanos in the May 4th ep, .  
They first referenced it in the April 27th episode with a quick line, something like "did you see what is going on in NY?"

They first referenced it in the April 27th episode with a quick line, something like "did you see what is going on in NY?"
I did hear that and at the time was bummed and thought "that was it?"

But then the mention of Thanos coming and it kind of working with the movie on the 4th made made both eps make more sense.

As someone who hasn’t been able to see the latest movie (movies, really) yet with a couple of little kids running around, I’m selfishly glad there hasn’t been much crossover/movie spoilers. 

NewlyRetired said:
Shield has been renewed for Season 6!

Season 6 will be a shortened 13 episode season (which I assume will be the final one).  I did not see a start date so it may not be until 2019.
Looks like Summer 2019 for it to be on. I wonder if there is a big tie in to IW in the season finale and can't return until after A4?

Looks like Summer 2019 for it to be on. I wonder if there is a big tie in to IW in the season finale and can't return until after A4?
I was just talking about this with my daughter.  This episode has been written for a while and the producer said it was written in a way to be both a season or a series finale.

I am really hoping they shot two completely different endings and are going to be able to choose the right one based on knowing they are coming back.

I am convinced they did not want to dust half the cast in the series finale, but they may be more than willing to do so in the season finale knowing that things are going to be corrected next May and that Season 6 starts after that...

I was just talking about this with my daughter.  This episode has been written for a while and the producer said it was written in a way to be both a season or a series finale.

I am really hoping they shot two completely different endings and are going to be able to choose the right one based on knowing they are coming back.

I am convinced they did not want to dust half the cast in the series finale, but they may be more than willing to do so in the season finale knowing that things are going to be corrected next May and that Season 6 starts after that...
That was my thought as to why it took so long to announce, didnt want to give anything away.  They HAVE to have some characters get dusted (even if its extras or meaningless people) to tie in, at least I hope they do.  They've done well with keeping it in the universe with other movie releases so it would be disappointing if they didnt here.

That was my thought as to why it took so long to announce, didnt want to give anything away.  They HAVE to have some characters get dusted (even if its extras or meaningless people) to tie in, at least I hope they do.  They've done well with keeping it in the universe with other movie releases so it would be disappointing if they didnt here.
my wife mentioned that some of the side characters are getting more lines than usual so maybe this is what they are planning to dust those.

I came up with the idea that Deke gets dusted because Gemma keeps asking if he had blinked out of existence yet based on something they did.

my wife mentioned that some of the side characters are getting more lines than usual so maybe this is what they are planning to dust those.

I came up with the idea that Deke gets dusted because Gemma keeps asking if he had blinked out of existence yet based on something they did.
Thought about the Deke thing.  Not sure what to think about him and the fitzsimmons

FWIW, so while not great news about a shortened summer season, possibly season 6 won't be the last. Although I don't buy that the move to summer wasn't also influenced by the Infinity War conclusion. Hopefully a move to the summer means they will have stronger ratings with less competition (seems implied by her final comment), Syfy/USA and other cable networks have been doing this for years with counterprogramming against the network schedule. I don't think it worked great for shows like Under the Dome, though that started out a summer series. Also would beg the question of availability for all the main actors to continue on.

As reported by TVLine, ABC President Channing Dungey announced SHIELD's shortened sixth season will be held until the U.S. Summer 2019 TV season. Dungey also denied the idea that the shorter, summer-scheduled season indicates the upcoming season will be the show's last.

"I feel like Season 5 was their creatively strongest yet, so I don’t at the moment have any plans to think of Season 6 as the last season," Dungey told TVLine. "By putting it in the summer, we’re going to be able to ‘super-serve’ the fan base that loves that show and hopefully give it an opportunity to continue on longer than we would if it was [scheduled] in-season."

Dungey also noted this scheduling is solely ABC"s decision, and not one made out of any commitment to the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe.

FWIW, so while not great news about a shortened summer season,
I look at this differently, at least for my own preferences. 

Many of my favorite tv shows including Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Justified, The Shield (cop version) all use a shortened season format which I think lends itself to better story telling.

Many of my favorite tv shows including Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Justified, The Shield (cop version) all use a shortened season format which I think lends itself to better story telling.
While I agree as far as storytelling, all of those you named started in the shortened season format. When a network show that was 22 episodes gets cut down, it's usually the death knell. Very few shows have survived that, honestly, I can't think of any of the top of my head. Edit: The 100 on CW I think got renewed this year after a shortened season now that I think about it some more.

Edit: the summer move is interesting though, as summer seasons are relatively new at networks. Generally in the past if a show got held to the summer, that just meant they were burning off the episodes, that may not be the case here and that is what fans will have to hope for.

While I agree as far as storytelling, all of those you named started in the shortened season format. When a network show that was 22 episodes gets cut down, it's usually the death knell. Very few shows have survived that, honestly, I can't think of any of the top of my head.

Edit: the summer move is interesting though, as summer seasons are relatively new at networks. Generally in the past if a show got held to the summer, that just meant they were burning off the episodes, that may not be the case here and that is what fans will have to hope for.
I don't look at it as a death knell per say, although it might be.

I prefer when shows have defined endings and don't linger on until they drop in quality and are just cancelled.

I very much enjoy Shield, but I would have been more happy had they just said now Season 6 is the last and the writers can know that going in.

This is an excellent thread  :thumbup:

Sometimes, even after I've watched the last episode at any given time, I'm afraid to check in because of spoilers. Thankfully, most of what's in here is great info that helps me fill in the blanks or just gives me a preview of what's on the horizon. I don't watch a lot of movies, here's your chance to make fun of me. That's just who I am. Now though, I'm going to watch Ultron and make sure I see Infinity Wars, just for the context factor. Yeah, go ahead and make fun of me,  :bag:

This show is one the most imaginative and thrilling series I've been dedicated to. Honestly, I'm with @NewlyRetired, if you're going to close up shop, go out with a bang instead of being like a "Lost" or original "Hereos" series that lost their way and just got sent to the crapper.

Also, @Psychopav, thanks for that link. I went to it and had to close it down because of potential spoilerage, if that's a word.  :fro:

:banned:

Yep. Most Netflix series are shorter too. I think that works better for the MCU. 

Skip Iron Fist. 
Unfortunately, Defenders is worth watching and the plot builds on Iron Fist's storyline pretty heavily.

Also, thought the last half of Iron Fist wasn't as bad as the first few episodes.

Skip Iron Fist. 
I have read that but I am sadly a completionist so I am going to power through that series just to make sure I have all the ties for future story lines.

I also have a pretty high tolerance for average or worse tv so it won't be too painful for me.

Don't bother with Inhumans either. Not a coincidence those were the two worst shows (IF and Inhumans) when they were run by the same guy who has now been kicked to the curb. At least IF is getting a season 2 with a new showrunner, so hopefully it will be much better. I doubt they ever refer to Inhumans in the MCU again (outside of the Shield references.)

There was a commercial for Cloak & Dagger during the last few AoS episodes, my wife wanted to know about it but I know very little about those characters. I just told her it's on Freeform / ABC Family so I'm not sure it will be worth sitting through.

I have read that but I am sadly a completionist so I am going to power through that series just to make sure I have all the ties for future story lines.

I also have a pretty high tolerance for average or worse tv so it won't be too painful for me.
There's one fight scene in IF that's worth watching. Rand runs into a guardian for the Hand and the guy uses drunken style. It's pretty cool, IMO. 

I got through IF and Inhumans.  Even watched Runaways on Hulu.  Inhumans was ok, but sometimes I enjoy bad tv.  The characters around IF were good enough for me to watch it, just the title actor was poor.  He was better in Defenders but that might have been since he wasnt the focus.  Shield has been the best of all of them although DD was close.

Looking forward to the season finale tomorrow and the aftermatch next summer.

Will give Cloak and Dagger a try since I have watched everything else.  And I seem to have to finish the season if I start.

I got through IF and Inhumans.  Even watched Runaways on Hulu.  Inhumans was ok, but sometimes I enjoy bad tv.  The characters around IF were good enough for me to watch it, just the title actor was poor.  He was better in Defenders but that might have been since he wasnt the focus.  Shield has been the best of all of them although DD was close.

Looking forward to the season finale tomorrow and the aftermatch next summer.

Will give Cloak and Dagger a try since I have watched everything else.  And I seem to have to finish the season if I start.
This.  Colleen Wing, Madame Gao, Claire, etc, were all great.  Danny was the problem.  Actor couldn't carry a show, and he wasn't done many favors with the writing for him early in the show, either.

Unfortunately, Defenders is worth watching and the plot builds on Iron Fist's storyline pretty heavily.

Also, thought the last half of Iron Fist wasn't as bad as the first few episodes.
I didn’t feel like I was missing anything critical during the defenders as a result of skipping IF, FWIW. 

I am not sure I followed the Fitz time loop frozen in space thing.  Maybe they will explain next season when he comes back.

I was really bummed they ignored Thanos entirely in the finale after mentioning it for the past few episodes.

I am not sure I followed the Fitz time loop frozen in space thing.  Maybe they will explain next season when he comes back.
Here's what I think they were referencing.

Fitz didn't get sent to the future like the rest of them.  So in that sense there are two copies of him.  The Fitz that died was the one from the future, after having cryo-slept through everything in between.  Now that they are back in the present, the Fitz from that time exists, currently cryo-sleeping and expecting to wake up in the future.

So they can find and wake up that Fitz (who is with present day Enok I believe), and the last thing he will remember is going to sleep to try and meet up with everyone in the future.  He won't have any memory of anything that happened in the 2nd half of this season, after the future crew returned to the present.

I know - they just wrapped up everything (except for the weird Fitz thing) so well I half wish they just left it there. 
I think that was the general point as they wrote it to be either a season or series final.

I would have been ok with it being the series finale as well except for the complete ignoring of Thanos.

This would have been easier to swallow if the series had ignored the other movies but they didn't.  Now they all but ignored the biggest in the finale.

Here's what I think they were referencing.

Fitz didn't get sent to the future like the rest of them.  So in that sense there are two copies of him.  The Fitz that died was the one from the future, after having cryo-slept through everything in between.  Now that they are back in the present, the Fitz from that time exists, currently cryo-sleeping and expecting to wake up in the future.

So they can find and wake up that Fitz (who is with present day Enok I believe), and the last thing he will remember is going to sleep to try and meet up with everyone in the future.  He won't have any memory of anything that happened in the 2nd half of this season, after the future crew returned to the present.
I had no clue what they were talking about with Fitz so I had to Google it and this is exactly right. Wish they would have been a little clearer there. Can't believe they are just going to let Coulson die. Love that character. Hoping there's a last minute cure to be had. 

Yeah, I admit I was lost at first on that.  At first I thought they just hadn't told Coulson what happened.  It was kind of weird how they played it. 

IMHO, would have been better if they'd just had it end without mention of a retrievable Fritz-sicle.  Better ending if they hadn't got renewed.  And if renewed, then you just start out the season with them thinking of it.

series is not over though.
I believe the episode was written at the time as if it would be a series finale. 

Someone needs to explain to me the FitzSickle theory. When he went under and went to the future it was him who woke up. Where is he still alive and asleep?

Also, as often as they brought back Ward (which I was totally fine with) I have zero problems bringing back Fitz. He's become a fantastic character 

Someone needs to explain to me the FitzSickle theory. When he went under and went to the future it was him who woke up. Where is he still alive and asleep?
I should have taken a picture of my white board.

1) at time 0, team with out Fitz is teleported to time 1000 

2) At time 10, Fitz goes to sleep in space

3) At time 100, world blows up

4) At time 1001, Fitz wakes up from long sleep and joins team in future

5) At time 1010, whole team jumps back to time 50.  Fitz is still asleep in space in this time line

6) Team leaves Fitz asleep because they may still need him in the future

7) The timeline passes time 100, world does not blow up and team now knows they can safely go get the sleeping Fitz

The sleeping Fitz should have no memory of anything that happened after he fell asleep.

I should have taken a picture of my white board.

1) at time 0 team with out Fitz is teleported to time 1000 

2) At time 10 Fitz goes to sleep in space

3) At time 100 world blows up

4) At time 1001 Fitz wakes up from long sleep and joins team in future

5) At time 1010 whole team jumps back to time 50.  Fitz is still asleep in space in this time line

6) Team leaves Fitz asleep because they may still need him in the future

7) The timeline passes time 100, world does not blow up and team now knows they can safely go get the sleeping Fitz

The sleeping Fitz should have no memory if anything that happened after he fell asleep.
He came back with them. I'm not trying to be obtuse. Honest. :) But this is the sticking point for me. The Fitz who traveled to the future also returned to the present and died there. How is there a second Fitz? 

Thought it was great, and would have been a fitting series finale as someone said. No idea how they start off next season with how they left it with Coulson, he's the heart and soul of this show and the main reason I started watching in the first place. After all that talk about Deek blinking out of existence if they broke the loop, they did not reveal what happened to him either.

Thinking on it now, would have been nice had they left the Fitz thing off like GregR mentioned, would have been a great way to kick off the beginning of next season with them searching for frozen him. You could have a whole season with the search for Fitz if you wanted. Also I wonder how they will reconcile the fact that Fitz would have no memory of the 2nd half of the season including... he and Jemma getting married!

He came back with them. I'm not trying to be obtuse. Honest. :) But this is the sticking point for me. The Fitz who traveled to the future also returned to the present and died there. How is there a second Fitz? 
you are not being obtuse.  This is how time travel works in Sci Fi.  If you think too hard about it you will get a headache.

Let Doc Brown explain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVx4OOcIRXg

Basically, the rest of the team skipped the intervening time by jumping ahead, then came back to near the time they left.

But Fitz didnt skip ahead, he lived through it.  Yet at that point in his life, he came back.  He has now gone back into his own past, and exists in two places just like you would if you went back in time now.

When the back-travelling Fitz dies, it doesnt affect the original version.

Users who are viewing this thread