What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (1 Viewer)

Not Agents of Shield related, but since we don't have a dedicated Marvel Cinematic Universe thread I'll post it here:

Paul Rudd cast as Hank Pym/Ant-Man for the 2015 feature film.

Off the bat this strikes me as really awesome.
I personally think Antman should come out before the Avengers movie so Antman can create Ultron like he did in the comics.
Yeah I'm not sure why they chose this order.
Because in the movie Ant Man will not be creating Ultron. The leading theory is it is built by Stark.

Fantastic episode tonight... easily the best of the series so far. THIS is more of what they need.
Agreed. Really good episode and I also thought it was the best of the season.

So Ward passed on Skye's shoulder for some drunken Asian fun. Interesting.
:shrug: I'd tag May before Skye too.
:yes:
:no: Never understood the Asian preferance thing (nothing against Asian women, plenty of gorgeous ones, but some guys seem to bump them up a full 2 points just because they're Asian). Skye is smoking hot.

Fantastic episode tonight... easily the best of the series so far. THIS is more of what they need.

:no: Never understood the Asian preferance thing (nothing against Asian women, plenty of gorgeous ones, but some guys seem to bump them up a full 2 points just because they're Asian). Skye is smoking hot.
My God she looked great last night.

Another strong episode. Looks like the series could be rounding into form.

Tense episode but a little disappointing in that it really didn't move the plot forward much at all. We still know basically nothing about what was done to Coulson or why, or what the Clairvoyant is after (other than the nebulous "you dropped off the grid and came back from the dead").

eta: Maybe I'm just spoiled rotten by Breaking Bad, but the plot development really seems to be dragging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Agents of Shield related, but since we don't have a dedicated Marvel Cinematic Universe thread I'll post it here:

I personally think Antman should come out before the Avengers movie so Antman can create Ultron like he did in the comics.
Because in the movie Ant Man will not be creating Ultron. The leading theory is it is built by Stark.
um, yeah. We get that. We just don't know why they decided to take Ultron away from Antman.

eta: Maybe I'm just spoiled rotten by Breaking Bad, but the plot development really seems to be dragging.
That's a pretty steep comparison. Breaking Bad will go down as one of the greatest TV shows in history, maybe the greatest. Most shows aren't going to measure up to that comparison.

That's a pretty steep comparison. Breaking Bad will go down as one of the greatest TV shows in history, maybe the greatest. Most shows aren't going to measure up to that comparison.
Understood. But is it too much to ask for something more than a Remington Steele pace?

Agents of SHIELD doesn't measure up to Arrow, for Christ's sake.

Breaking up the two-parter understandably raised expectations for a big reveal. Which we didn't really get. We only know incrementally more about Coulson, and nothing about why he was brought back from the dead.

I don't have a problem with every question being unanswered midway through the season. I'm guessing we're not done finding out more about what happened to Coulson and how that impacts things going forward.

We do know that he's not an LMD now. That brain surgery scene pretty much dispelled the idea that he's a robot, right?
Agents of SHIELD doesn't measure up to Arrow, for Christ's sake.

Breaking up the two-parter understandably raised expectations for a big reveal. Which we didn't really get. We only know incrementally more about Coulson, and nothing about why he was brought back from the dead.

That's true, but...

We do know that he's not an LMD now. That brain surgery scene pretty much killed that theory, right?

I don't have a problem with every question being unanswered midway through the season. I'm guessing we're not done finding out more about what happened to Coulson and how that impacts things going forward.
yeah, the complaints about all the secrets not being revealed halfway through the first season seem to be nothing more than people looking to complain about something. We've only seen 11 episodes people.

I don't think you need to look hard to find things to complain about the show. If they were having compelling Mystery of the Week episodes, that would be one thing. But they're not. I want to like the show. I've been grading on a curve all year, but it's a horrible disappointment. The actors are wooden. The production looks cheap. And they haven't made me care about a single character.

I don't need it to be Breaking Bad. Heck, I don't need it to be Buffy. It would be nice if it were half as good as Dollhouse, though. That's not that high a bar.

I'm a big Whedon fan and I seriously :wub: Eliza Dushku but I couldn't get into "Dollhouse" at all. Watched 2-3 episodes and then stopped. I don't think this is a great show by any stretch at the present time but I like it a lot more than "Dollhouse."

I thought Dollhouse was largely a failure too, but by episode 11, they had run Man on the Street, Echoes, and A Spy In the House of Love. All of those episodes are much, much better than any episode of SHIELD has been.

Skye is half-Asianed.

I don't think you need to look hard to find things to complain about the show. If they were having compelling Mystery of the Week episodes, that would be one thing. But they're not. I want to like the show. I've been grading on a curve all year, but it's a horrible disappointment. The actors are wooden. The production looks cheap. And they haven't made me care about a single character.

I don't need it to be Breaking Bad. Heck, I don't need it to be Buffy. It would be nice if it were half as good as Dollhouse, though. That's not that high a bar.
I'm trying to be patient because I love Marvel and I do think the guy who plays Colson is a decent actor.

But I see what you're saying here, and I agree. It's just not working that well. There's been improvement since episode 1, but the writing seems subpar when it needs to be on the level of Buffy or Breaking Bad to make an impact and survive in "the golden era of TV."

I'm trying to be patient though. I really am.

I've been grading pretty tough on this show but I think the last handful of episodes are tracking well. By and large I like the cast, even Ward isn't quite the dead weight I thought he was early on.

I've been grading pretty tough on this show but I think the last handful of episodes are tracking well. By and large I like the cast, even Ward isn't quite the dead weight I thought he was early on.
I agree. I think the show has gotten significantly better of late.

Understood. But is it too much to ask for something more than a Remington Steele pace?
It's pretty standard that network shows move at a much slower pace than cable shows. Cable shows have an endgame, while network shows will run until no one watches anymore.

SoCalBroncoFan said:
Agreed. Really good episode and I also thought it was the best of the season. So Ward passed on Skye's shoulder for some drunken Asian fun. Interesting.
Skye is half-Asianed.
:mindblown:

Here's the thing. I don't think network shows run all that much slower anymore. I've seen very little of Sleepy Hollow, but it's moved much more quickly.

This isn't 2003 anymore. Shows don't get 22 episodes to hook an audience (I'm not sure they ever really did). The show premiered to pretty great ratings and has hemorrhaged viewers week by week since then. They could have a brilliant second half of the season and it might not matter because a lot of people have given up on the show.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think the show has really suffered by not having a credible antagonist. I think I know why that is (I'm pretty certain Centipede is being run by a rogue element of SHIELD, maybe the Saffron Burroughs character), but it's meant that the mysteries are really all we have.

I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad and I think I'm glad. Evidently it is so good that it has ruined the rest of TV for some of you.

I'm a big Whedon fan and I seriously :wub: Eliza Dushku but I couldn't get into "Dollhouse" at all. Watched 2-3 episodes and then stopped. I don't think this is a great show by any stretch at the present time but I like it a lot more than "Dollhouse."
Dollhouse was pretty weak early on but got really good at the end of S1 and all of S2.

Here's the thing. I don't think network shows run all that much slower anymore. I've seen very little of Sleepy Hollow, but it's moved much more quickly.
I wouldn't mind it advancing the plot more quickly either, but weren't they pretty upfront about saying this was more an episodic show with small elements of a serial story rather than the other way around?

um, yeah. We get that. We just don't know why they decided to take Ultron away from Antman.
:goodposting:

I assumed they didn't find ant man interesting enough for full treatment, so when they announced he would appear I wondered why they didn't stick with canon. I'm fine with deviating, just found it curious.

I assumed they didn't find ant man interesting enough for full treatment, so when they announced he would appear I wondered why they didn't stick with canon. I'm fine with deviating, just found it curious.
It's the timing of it. They had a very specific plan for the tentpole movies - Avengers was the origin vs. Loki, Avengers 2 gets Ultron because he's the pretty much the most badass Avengers villain, and Avengers 3 gets Thanos because when you have to up the ante from Ultron, there's only one character you can go to. They decided early on not to do Ant-Man in Phase One*, and between production delays and scheduling, they didn't do it in Phase 2. So Ant-Man has to come out in Phase 3, which is after the second Avengers movie comes out. Which means Pym can't create Ultron.

*If they had decided to get Ant-Man done early, they could have had him as the creator of Ultron, but consider... knowing that character, is that a chance you want to take? Phase 1 had Hulk, Iron Man, Thor and Captain America movies... they likely would have had to drop one to get Ant-Man in there, and really... of those four, who ya gonna drop?

It's the timing of it. They had a very specific plan for the tentpole movies - Avengers was the origin vs. Loki, Avengers 2 gets Ultron because he's the pretty much the most badass Avengers villain, and Avengers 3 gets Thanos because when you have to up the ante from Ultron, there's only one character you can go to. They decided early on not to do Ant-Man in Phase One*, and between production delays and scheduling, they didn't do it in Phase 2. So Ant-Man has to come out in Phase 3, which is after the second Avengers movie comes out. Which means Pym can't create Ultron.

*If they had decided to get Ant-Man done early, they could have had him as the creator of Ultron, but consider... knowing that character, is that a chance you want to take? Phase 1 had Hulk, Iron Man, Thor and Captain America movies... they likely would have had to drop one to get Ant-Man in there, and really... of those four, who ya gonna drop?
Really no reason why they couldn't have Antman (as Hank Pym. no costume.) in the Avengers film and be the guy who creates Ultron and spin off the Antman film from after the defeat of Ultron.

:goodposting: I assumed they didn't find ant man interesting enough for full treatment, so when they announced he would appear I wondered why they didn't stick with canon. I'm fine with deviating, just found it curious.

Really no reason why they couldn't have Antman (as Hank Pym. no costume.) in the Avengers film and be the guy who creates Ultron and spin off the Antman film from after the defeat of Ultron.
Agreed. Hawkeye and Black Widow didn't get full movies, Pym could have made an appearance. It'll work either way.

I know that Edgar Wright's initial draft for AntMan wasn't really conducive to fitting into the entire merged Marvel Cinematic Universe. I think he was going to do a parallel story where Pym was a period Silver Age Ant Man and where Scott Lang was the modern Ant Man. So I'm not sure how Pym creating Ultron could have worked.

I don't know if that concept has changed.

:goodposting: I assumed they didn't find ant man interesting enough for full treatment, so when they announced he would appear I wondered why they didn't stick with canon. I'm fine with deviating, just found it curious.

Agreed. Hawkeye and Black Widow didn't get full movies, Pym could have made an appearance. It'll work either way.
The tragedy of Ultron being the Big Bad for the Avengers is that it was the Avengers that created him. For that to work in cinema, you need a creator that audiences have bonded with because you don't have years and years of appearances to work with the way you do in comics. Readers had over five years of monthly comics to get to know Pym and the Avengers - the movies don't give us that kind of time. So instead of introducing Pym in an already crowded Avengers film, they'll just make Stark the inventor of Ultron, which still works from a science/technological standpoint. And audiences love Stark, so you get the added tragedy bonus.

Really, the only upside to having Pym create Ultron in the movies is that it goes along with the comics' origin, but that's not a compelling enough reason in the movie universe.

I'm going to stop quoting because it is too hard to read on my phone :)

Ultimately I'm not upset about it, they've done a great job with the universe they've set up. I'll just reiterate I'm surprised they are doing ant man at all if he's not the creator of Ultron. In my opinion (just an opinion) his biggest contribution revolved around Ultron.

They could just have Ultrin appear and make his origin a mystery until.....Ant-Man the movie. Wasn't the Ultron from The Age of Ultron from the future? There's a lot of paths they can take here that nobody is considering. And since The Avenger 1 was such a smash hit moneymaker, I'm think Whedon has full creative reign, or close to it. Don't be surprised to see a narrative curveball.

Pretty good episode this week. My 13 year old knows so much about it it is ridiculous. As soon as they identified the kid as Donnie, he said "Oh that must be Donnie Gill, he's the first Blizzard". Later in the episode it does reveal Gill as the last name. He then proceeds to tell me about Blizzard's 2 and 3, including that the second one was killed by Arno Stark the time travelling Iron Man.

Pretty good episode this week. My 13 year old knows so much about it it is ridiculous. As soon as they identified the kid as Donnie, he said "Oh that must be Donnie Gill, he's the first Blizzard". Later in the episode it does reveal Gill as the last name. He then proceeds to tell me about Blizzard's 2 and 3, including that the second one was killed by Arno Stark the time travelling Iron Man.
Donnie is the successor to the first Blizzard. Here is the except from the Marvel Encyclopedia my daughter got for Xmas============

Employed by Stark Industries, Dr. Gregor Shapanka attempted to steal and sell Stark technology to fund research into longevity. After being caught and fired, Shapanka developed a suit capable of generating immense cold. Using it to perform acts of villiany, he became known as Jack Frost or Blizzard and became a nemesis of Iron Man. Shapanka life ended when he was killed by Arno Stark, the Iron man of 2020.

Shapanka's successor as Blizzard was Donnie Gill, an employee of Justin Hammer. Donnie joined the Masters of Evil and later became a part of Mach-IV Thunderbolts. He eventually received a pardon for his crimes.

A third man, Randy Macklin, wore Gill's suit for a while but after he was captured and served time, Tony Stark took him under his wing

I have to say, the Skye reveal was a little bit of a let down for me. And what mystical powers does she have. Seemed like something they were setting up all season became a throw away

Maybe people who know more about will tell me Im wrong

I enjoy the show, but I find myself grabbing the ipad a lot and surfing the net while the show is on

I have to say, the Skye reveal was a little bit of a let down for me. And what mystical powers does she have. Seemed like something they were setting up all season became a throw away

I enjoy the show, but I find myself grabbing the ipad a lot and surfing the net while the show is on
I was afraid her power would be whatever it took to solve a problem on that show. Imagine if she had the ability to stop the storm or bring the one kid back, that would have been too convenient and I'm glad they didn't do it.

I didn't find this week's show all that great. But I'm still optimistic for the show as a whole. IT seems like they are building up to something big. We've seen the creation of 2 supervillains so far (Graviton and Blizzard), both of whom getting their powers thanks to Ian Quinn. So, they are definitely going somewhere with that.

What's with all of the repeats? I sort of understand the break over the holidays, but the repeats already started in late November/early December and another one last week. It's really tough for this show to gain traction with an audience if it's showing stale episodes every other week.

What's with all of the repeats? I sort of understand the break over the holidays, but the repeats already started in late November/early December and another one last week. It's really tough for this show to gain traction with an audience if it's showing stale episodes every other week.
2 weeks of repeats and then big push during the February sweeps.

This is how all shows used to be. It wasn't until the Lost guys challenged ABC to run them every week that some shows started changing.

Wait, there's another repeat next week? Who will be around to watch by February. This is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread