What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (2 Viewers)

I wonder if the scheduling also isn't being tweaked to better coincide with the Captain America movie in April. There's 8 or 9 more episodes in the season, if they crammed them all in starting in early January they'd run out before the movie is released.

Second nine is at least heavy with the guest stars. Bill Paxton. The chick who plays Lady Sif in the Thor movies (write your Sif/Skye slashfics now, gentlemen).

So I'm guessing there's still some Asgaridan connection to tie in to Thor. And since I think a rogue element of SHIELD is our best guess for who's behind Centipede, the Winter Soldier should be tied in as well.

They had an interview with an ABC exec who all but admitted that the show's focus on mysteries of the week was a big mistake in the beginning. He suggests they've rebooted pretty heavily in favor of an arc centric show. Which could only be an improvement.

Second nine is at least heavy with the guest stars. Bill Paxton. The chick who plays Lady Sif in the Thor movies (write your Sif/Skye slashfics now, gentlemen).

So I'm guessing there's still some Asgaridan connection to tie in to Thor. And since I think a rogue element of SHIELD is our best guess for who's behind Centipede, the Winter Soldier should be tied in as well.

They had an interview with an ABC exec who all but admitted that the show's focus on mysteries of the week was a big mistake in the beginning. He suggests they've rebooted pretty heavily in favor of an arc centric show. Which could only be an improvement.
I hope this is true. I like the show now and don't have a big problem with it, but I think this would make it a much better show.

TheIronSheik said:
Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I hope this is true. I like the show now and don't have a big problem with it, but I think this would make it a much better show.
A mixture of both would be great. X-Files perfected this.

Way too much complaining in this thread to even discuss the show. I'm going to watch and enjoy it. Have fun complaining about the show.
Much like just about every TV thread on this board. If you go by popular posts on this board in TV threads, everyone who watches any series pretty much hates it but for some reason watches it anyways.

Actually, come to think of it, this thread has been pretty decent overall in that regard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maelstrom said:
Mario Kart said:
Way too much complaining in this thread to even discuss the show. I'm going to watch and enjoy it. Have fun complaining about the show.
Much like just about every TV thread on this board. If you go by popular posts on this board in TV threads, everyone who watches any series pretty much hates it but for some reason watches it anyways.

Actually, come to think of it, this thread has been pretty decent overall in that regard.
I was thinking the same thing. This thread is no where near the cluster #### that the Lost thread became or the poor unreadable Walking Dead thread is now.

Probably because this show is not that popular, as such you get less people complaining about it.

I don't get it though. When I don't like something, my first instinct is never to find a thread about the topic and then complain about it in that thread to others who obviously enjoy it. But that permeates almost every "pop" topic here on FFA and it almost ultimately drives out the fans and leaves the complainers.

Maelstrom said:
Mario Kart said:

I was thinking the same thing. This thread is no where near the cluster #### that the Lost thread became or the poor unreadable Walking Dead thread is now.

Probably because this show is not that popular, as such you get less people complaining about it.

I don't get it though. When I don't like something, my first instinct is never to find a thread about the topic and then complain about it in that thread to others who obviously enjoy it. But that permeates almost every "pop" topic here on FFA and it almost ultimately drives out the fans and leaves the complainers.
Would you prefer we not talk about how to fix the show while it continues to hemorrhage viewers? I want the show to succeed. I'd rather it not be a one and done show. But the best way for that to happen is for the creators to start making a better show. It's great that some of you enjoy it, but this is a show that has gone from getting over 17 million viewers to barely over 9 million viewers.

I quit posting in the Lost thread and the Walking Dead thread pretty quickly. Because I lost interest in those show. The difference is that viewers, by and large, never really did (Lost's ratings got weaker, but the Walking Dead is the most popular basic cable show in history). That's not the case here. If SHIELD loses those of us who are intrigued by the premise but think the execution sucks, SHIELD is dead.

Maelstrom said:
Mario Kart said:

Would you prefer we not talk about how to fix the show while it continues to hemorrhage viewers? I want the show to succeed. I'd rather it not be a one and done show. But the best way for that to happen is for the creators to start making a better show. It's great that some of you enjoy it, but this is a show that has gone from getting over 17 million viewers to barely over 9 million viewers.

I quit posting in the Lost thread and the Walking Dead thread pretty quickly. Because I lost interest in those show. The difference is that viewers, by and large, never really did (Lost's ratings got weaker, but the Walking Dead is the most popular basic cable show in history). That's not the case here. If SHIELD loses those of us who are intrigued by the premise but think the execution sucks, SHIELD is dead.
Posting to the FBG message board will have zero effect on the show. Unless you have evidence otherwise?

Maelstrom said:
Mario Kart said:

Posting to the FBG message board will have zero effect on the show. Unless you have evidence otherwise?
But fan criticism of the show in general seems to have been heard.

http://screenrant.com/agents-of-shield-season-1-finale-episodes-15-22-problems-solutions/

Are you suggesting that its appropriate to air criticisms of the show on Television Without Pity but not at FBGs?

The show is decent - but it appears to lack big picture scope - which is where I think they are headed. I thought it would have been a cooler show if they took the Alphas approach and maybe recruited some less powerful Marvel heroes as part of the team.

Also J August Reichards story is developing into Deathlok.

Maelstrom said:
Mario Kart said:

But fan criticism of the show in general seems to have been heard.

http://screenrant.com/agents-of-shield-season-1-finale-episodes-15-22-problems-solutions/

Are you suggesting that its appropriate to air criticisms of the show on Television Without Pity but not at FBGs?
I'm saying it is much more likely to have an affect than anything posted here. I don't mind the discussions of a show's merits and pitfalls, but some people every week (not saying you, but you've probably seen this pattern) make a habit out of dropping in the "x" show thread every week to say how horrible it was that week.

I'm saying it is much more likely to have an affect than anything posted here. I don't mind the discussions of a show's merits and pitfalls, but some people every week (not saying you, but you've probably seen this pattern) make a habit out of dropping in the "x" show thread every week to say how horrible it was that week.
It is almost as they are some how upset that others might be enjoying something they are not and feel compelled to put it down.

If you don't like something, why crap on it constantly? it is just meaningless in every way possible.

It's great that some of you enjoy it, but this is a show that has gone from getting over 17 million viewers to barely over 9 million viewers.
It's great that you seem to enjoy critiquing the show week after week after week. We get it, you would like it to be better.

And as for the ratings, the most viewers the show ever got was on opening night, at 12 million viewers. Outside of that one outlier the show has ranged pretty much between 6 and 8 million. We logged these numbers earlier in the thread.

The show could very well be headed for cancellation after a season. I think many of us pointed that out during the first few weeks when we were tracking the ratings.

I just wish these threads could stick to the discussion of the show itself(characters, plots, etc) and not constantly steer into the direction of how one person decides what the level of quality is, which is way too subjective and just leads these threads into the waste lands.

I am happy this thread has not yet gone down that path but the indications are that it may happen, as it has to so many other threads.

Just caught up on a bunch of DVRed episodes. Last couple episodes focusing on centipede, Skye's storyline, and Coulson's death have been pretty decent. The one episode with the ghost guy "stuck between this life and the next" was truly horrid. The entire concept didn't seem to fit with everything else the series seems to be about.

It's great that some of you enjoy it, but this is a show that has gone from getting over 17 million viewers to barely over 9 million viewers.
It's great that you seem to enjoy critiquing the show week after week after week. We get it, you would like it to be better.

And as for the ratings, the most viewers the show ever got was on opening night, at 12 million viewers. Outside of that one outlier the show has ranged pretty much between 6 and 8 million. We logged these numbers earlier in the thread.

The show could very well be headed for cancellation after a season. I think many of us pointed that out during the first few weeks when we were tracking the ratings.

I just wish these threads could stick to the discussion of the show itself(characters, plots, etc) and not constantly steer into the direction of how one person decides what the level of quality is, which is way too subjective and just leads these threads into the waste lands.

I am happy this thread has not yet gone down that path but the indications are that it may happen, as it has to so many other threads.
IMO the whining about people complaining about the show is what drives the threads into the ground. Why do people feel compelled to complain so much about complaining? Seriously, is it that hard to just ignore those posts? At least the complainers are addressing the actual show, which is what the thread is about. If you want to ##### about other posters, maybe you should start a thread for that purpose and leave the thread about the show alone.Sorry for the hijack.

It's great that you seem to enjoy critiquing the show week after week after week. We get it, you would like it to be better. And as for the ratings, the most viewers the show ever got was on opening night, at 12 million viewers. Outside of that one outlier the show has ranged pretty much between 6 and 8 million. We logged these numbers earlier in the thread. The show could very well be headed for cancellation after a season. I think many of us pointed that out during the first few weeks when we were tracking the ratings. I just wish these threads could stick to the discussion of the show itself(characters, plots, etc) and not constantly steer into the direction of how one person decides what the level of quality is, which is way too subjective and just leads these threads into the waste lands. I am happy this thread has not yet gone down that path but the indications are that it may happen, as it has to so many other threads.
IMO the whining about people complaining about the show is what drives the threads into the ground. Why do people feel compelled to complain so much about complaining? Seriously, is it that hard to just ignore those posts? At least the complainers are addressing the actual show, which is what the thread is about. If you want to ##### about other posters, maybe you should start a thread for that purpose and leave the thread about the show alone.Sorry for the hijack.
You have a valid point, but I guess we just see things differently. I see no reason that people who obviously hate a show needing to constantly complain about it. It serves zero purpose. If you hate a show why bother ruining the conversation by thread farting? It is impossible to ignore those type of posts because most times they are written to be trolls and people respond and the thread goes to hell.

But you seem to think that the constant complaining and ridiculing of a show is productive for an intelligent thread and that is where our view points differ I guess.

Note that what I am talking about has not happened in this thread even in the slightest. I am referring to other threads that turned into abortions.

It's great that you seem to enjoy critiquing the show week after week after week. We get it, you would like it to be better. And as for the ratings, the most viewers the show ever got was on opening night, at 12 million viewers. Outside of that one outlier the show has ranged pretty much between 6 and 8 million. We logged these numbers earlier in the thread. The show could very well be headed for cancellation after a season. I think many of us pointed that out during the first few weeks when we were tracking the ratings. I just wish these threads could stick to the discussion of the show itself(characters, plots, etc) and not constantly steer into the direction of how one person decides what the level of quality is, which is way too subjective and just leads these threads into the waste lands. I am happy this thread has not yet gone down that path but the indications are that it may happen, as it has to so many other threads.
You have a valid point, but I guess we just see things differently.I see no reason that people who obviously hate a show needing to constantly complain about it. It serves zero purpose. If you hate a show why bother ruining the conversation by thread farting? It is impossible to ignore those type of posts because most times they are written to be trolls and people respond and the thread goes to hell.

But you seem to think that the constant complaining and riduculing of a show is productive for an intelligent thread and that is where our view points differ I guess.

Note that what I am talking about has not happened in this thread even in the slightest. I am referring to other threads that turned into abortions.
Yes, we see things differently. I too enjoy this thread, and RHE's post did nothing to lessen that enjoyment. It was your post to him that has me worried about a downward spiral. In my experience it's your type of posing that poses the greatest threat to the discussion. Our continuing exchange is a good example of why I am concerned.

[/hijack]

Yes, we see things differently. I too enjoy this thread, and RHE's post did nothing to lessen that enjoyment. It was your post to him that has me worried about a downward spiral. In my experience it's your type of posing that poses the greatest threat to the discussion. Our continuing exchange is a good example of why I am concerned.
It started here by other posters, not me. I think I have been very clear in saying that this thread is not as bad as others.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=688623&p=16463600

I think our disagreement is based on whether the instigator or the responder is at fault. I always think the instigator is at fault because with out that initial troll, there is no need to respond. I again have to note that there is no trolling going on in this thread as I am referring to other threads.

The show is decent - but it appears to lack big picture scope - which is where I think they are headed. I thought it would have been a cooler show if they took the Alphas approach and maybe recruited some less powerful Marvel heroes as part of the team.

Are you speculating on the spoiler or have you read that some where?

I was not familiar with that character so I read about the character in my daughters Marvel Encyclopedia. That would be an interesting direction to take.

I was not familiar with that character so I read about the character in my daughters Marvel Encyclopedia. That would be an interesting direction to take.
It's been confirmed by the creators.

sweet, that sounds like fun.

I know there have been a number of versions of that character, I wonder if they are focusing on any specific one or will just create their own version of the character.

sweet, that sounds like fun.

I know there have been a number of versions of that character, I wonder if they are focusing on any specific one or will just create their own version of the character.
It's new. There's never been one with the name of the character they're starting from. Gah. I need to learn how to work spoiler tags, I guess. The guy they're starting with? He's unique to the show. The guy they're ending up with? That's from the comics. And their method of creating that character is different from what's been in the comics, though there might be some similarities or overlapping details.

I have to say, the Skye reveal was a little bit of a let down for me. And what mystical powers does she have. Seemed like something they were setting up all season became a throw away

Maybe people who know more about will tell me Im wrong

I enjoy the show, but I find myself grabbing the ipad a lot and surfing the net while the show is on
I was afraid her power would be whatever it took to solve a problem on that show. Imagine if she had the ability to stop the storm or bring the one kid back, that would have been too convenient and I'm glad they didn't do it.
I think her power is that she has a great attitude. She is OptimistiGirl.

Didn't care for the format this week. For those who didn't see it, they used the "tell the same story from different perspectives" format.

But, they did give us a brief Stan Lee appearance although it was just what they showed in previews. I was sort of hoping Lee would be the clairvoyant.

And Deadlok. We knew it was coming, but the last minute confirmed it.

And then there's Skye... it will could be interesting to see what happens here.

Long wait til next episode. Not until March.
Yeah, ABC & CBS pretty much showing all repeats during the Olympics. Kinda stupid imo.
I agree. People talk about what great ratings the Olympics bring, but at least part of that is because all of the major networks just give up and show reruns.
Really, damnit that sucks. I haven't gotten into the Olympics in a long time and I wasn't thinking about the Olympics being the reason some of my shows, like this, are on hiatus.

Just binge watched my DVR'd backlog. Watching them all in a row got me more into the show again. I like it. Not as good as Almost Human for me but it's got potential. The Month layoff is ridiculous though. ABC did this before with Flashforward and that effectively killed the show. Hopefully people remember what this is in a month.

Deathlok = sweet
I agree. Nice transition so far for this character.

Is there any chance the shooting of Skye will bring out what ever "unknown origin" back ground she has?
How is she not dead?
cryostasis-like tube that Quinn was using to hold Dethlok.
That seemed... odd to me. Team finds Skye shot, "hey, let's put her into this thing the guy who shot her made for the guy who used to be on our team"

or is this supposed to be standard technology?

Deathlok = sweet

Is there any chance the shooting of Skye will bring out what ever "unknown origin" back ground she has?
How is she not dead?
That seemed... odd to me. Team finds Skye shot, "hey, let's put her into this thing the guy who shot her made for the guy who used to be on our team"

Smart guys recognized it. So I just assume it's standard tech.

Deathlok = sweet

How is she not dead?

New to the world of comic books, are you?

Best episode yet. Who/what was G.H. in the tube and who is lorelei?
It was a good one. No idea on GH, but I could tell Lorelei was from Asgard, especially since Thor's buddy (the cute one) was in the previews to, I assume, capture her and bring her to justice.

Came here looking for clues on GH. I'm not a comic reader, so most of the story lines and characters like Lorelei have me digging up background info, but couldn't find anything on GH except for speculation on gamma ray growth hormone, ala Hulk.

Came here looking for clues on GH. I'm not a comic reader, so most of the story lines and characters like Lorelei have me digging up background info, but couldn't find anything on GH except for speculation on gamma ray growth hormone, ala Hulk.
Lorelei is Enchantress's sister. Similar powers, able to seduce men into doing whatever they want. I can only assume Enchantress is schedule to be used in a movie at some point hence why they went with Lorelei.

This has some good speculation on who the blue guy was without any outright spoilers:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/03/04/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-what-was-the-blue-alien/

We pretty sure he is dead regardless due to the explosions? Or was his vault sealed off enough that he could potentially "live" still?
I don't think it's a given that it's an alien body. They mentioned that the facility was a WW II era bunker. What experiments do we know were happening in WW II that would directly tie into human regeneration? The Super Soldier program. If you think back to Captain America the First Avenger, Col. Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) refers to Cap as a lab experiment and wants to ship him off for study to Alamagordo, NM. Steve Rogers also wasn't who Phillips wanted to test the Super Soldier serum. The soldier he wanted was named Gilmore Hodge.

With Winter Soldier about to come it, having a story line tying into the mini-Super Soldier arms race seems to make a lot of sense. Maybe after Cap was gone they continued to experiment and picked up with Gilmore Hodge (G.H.), which ended as a failed attempt to recreate the Erskine process that created Cap?

Users who are viewing this thread