What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** 2013 MINNESOTA VIKINGS SEASON THREAD (1 Viewer)

Yes Ponder is bad but he puts the coaches to shame in the way he performs.

This team is not coached well by any means. The defense looks lost, the o-line has no idea who to block, the play calling is putrid at best, this staff has no idea how to or maybe doesn't even know what game planning is, they have never heard of the term "half time adjustment" or they have no idea how to adjust.

Some of the mistakes Ponder makes I attribute to coaching. He stares down receivers and/or does not seem to know how to go through his progressions. He has no time on a majority of his drop backs, so much so that he even rushes his throws when he does happen to have a second or two. I'm not saying he has the skill set to be a star but he doesn't have to be as bad as he is. Either way he needs to be replaced and Cassel is not the answer.

This is the major problem the vikings have year in and year out. I don't understand spending close to a billion dollars on a team and letting the team be so poorly managed for so long.

Jobber said:
Bring on Bethel-Thompson!
I am with you. MBT will probably make a ton of rookie mistakes but I sure like his arm.
Much as I don't put that game on Ponder, I would 100% be on board with this! He'd make some mistakes and he seems to get a lot of balls tipped at the line...but it sure would be fun to see him sligin' the ball opening up things for AP.
I agree with this.

Yes Ponder is bad but he puts the coaches to shame in the way he performs.

This team is not coached well by any means. The defense looks lost, the o-line has no idea who to block, the play calling is putrid at best, this staff has no idea how to or maybe doesn't even know what game planning is, they have never heard of the term "half time adjustment" or they have no idea how to adjust.

Some of the mistakes Ponder makes I attribute to coaching. He stares down receivers and/or does not seem to know how to go through his progressions. He has no time on a majority of his drop backs, so much so that he even rushes his throws when he does happen to have a second or two. I'm not saying he has the skill set to be a star but he doesn't have to be as bad as he is. Either way he needs to be replaced and Cassel is not the answer.

This is the major problem the vikings have year in and year out. I don't understand spending close to a billion dollars on a team and letting the team be so poorly managed for so long.
A Decent QB knows this and makes changes.. he continues to stare down WR's even after being called out for it in the previous 2 years by the coaching staff.

Even a decent QB, and of course a High School Offensive Coordinator, realizes after a half that he does not have time to drop back and survey the field..

I Really expected that by now Ponder would be able to see things are not working as planned and when he steps back and see's his main WR blanketed, look to his TE or RB..

I'd rather take 3 yard completion then Forced incomplete/Int's/ Sacks..

:eek: <<< Ponder at the snap... and I'm not sure having the best OL in all of the NFL would help him at this point.

I dont think Ponder played especially well but neither did alot of the "big name" QB's like Roethlisberger, Newton, Wilson etc. It is only week 1 so not time to blow it all up yet. Now with that being said, we have an early bye so if Ponder still looks this way against the Bears, Browns, and Steelers then the bye week turns into getting Cassel or Bethel-Thompson ready to go for the rest of the season and then it turns into the SUCK FOR BRIDGEWATER sweepstakes in my opinion.

I dont think Ponder played especially well but neither did alot of the "big name" QB's like Roethlisberger, Newton, Wilson etc. It is only week 1 so not time to blow it all up yet. Now with that being said, we have an early bye so if Ponder still looks this way against the Bears, Browns, and Steelers then the bye week turns into getting Cassel or Bethel-Thompson ready to go for the rest of the season and then it turns into the SUCK FOR BRIDGEWATER sweepstakes in my opinion.
I don't know if the Vikes are bad enough for that. Although the Jets, Raiders look serviceable. But the Jags are the clear front runners for 1.01 IMO.

Unfortunately, here is what I see happening..

Vikes lose next week in Chicago to go to 0-2.. They decide that Ponder played just good enough to not lose his job so he starts against Cleveland and wins.. Then they go to London, Steelers are not looking much better and they pull of a win to go to 2-2..

Regardless how good or bad Ponder plays he retains his starting job.. They come off the Bye and beat the Panthers at home to go to 3-2 and people forget who they played and start looking like this guy :excited:

Brutal schedule then hits and they proceed to go on a 7 game losing streak.. we are now 3-9 and decide to hand the reins over to McLeod Bethel-Thompson and see what he has to offer going forward..

He does just enough to get the coaches thinking with a good off season he can be a quality starting QB.. We then get to look forward to another off season of not making a move for a QB, waste away another year of Peterson's talent, and go into 2014 with yet another project QB.. :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure people who have a better knowledge of the bears will somehow point the big flaw out in this, but maybe not.

Jay Cutler has usually been considered average to above average, and somewhat of a slinger. He gets horrendously ripped and sometimes deservedly so, and I don't really like the guy.

Now back to Ponder. For the last 2 years people defending him have said you need to wait a few years for some guys, he needs better WR's, and after today the few apologists left now complain about O line play (which wasn't very good).

That said, am I missing something or did a somewhat average QB (Cutler) with a good RB (forte) make it to the NFC Championship with a bottom 10 O line and bottom 10 WR group 3 years ago or am I missing something? Also Ponder was considered the most "NFL Ready" QB that year.

My point is anyone who is left trying to make excuses up for him, just stop. It's over. The guy doesn't have an NFL mind or arm for the most part. Good teams are able to be partial and let the best players play, not the highest draft picks. Two teams that have a hard time with that are Jags and Vikes and look at their QB play. I really like Bridgwater, like to see what MBT can do, and if we have to, I'd be willing to look at the Cousins route for getting a QB.

I am sure people who have a better knowledge of the bears will somehow point the big flaw out in this, but maybe not.

Jay Cutler has usually been considered average to above average, and somewhat of a slinger. He gets horrendously ripped and sometimes deservedly so, and I don't really like the guy.

Now back to Ponder. For the last 2 years people defending him have said you need to wait a few years for some guys, he needs better WR's, and after today the few apologists left now complain about O line play (which wasn't very good).

That said, am I missing something or did a somewhat average QB (Cutler) with a good RB (forte) make it to the NFC Championship with a bottom 10 O line and bottom 10 WR group 3 years ago or am I missing something? Also Ponder was considered the most "NFL Ready" QB that year.

My point is anyone who is left trying to make excuses up for him, just stop. It's over. The guy doesn't have an NFL mind or arm for the most part. Good teams are able to be partial and let the best players play, not the highest draft picks. Two teams that have a hard time with that are Jags and Vikes and look at their QB play. I really like Bridgwater, like to see what MBT can do, and if we have to, I'd be willing to look at the Cousins route for getting a QB.
I don't think you're going to find anyone here that disagree with you...not sure there's a Ponder apologist on this board and you're really just beating a dead horse here. I think there are too many Vikings fans though that are looking at Ponder as the biggest problem yesterday and failing to see how bad we were at pretty much every aspect of the game.

I caught the tail end of the Sullivan interview on KFAN this morning and (going off of memory here the two comments that stuck out to me when P.A. asked him how he thought the line did were....

"There were a few times when we gave him time to throw"

and

"I'm sure we opened some holes".

The way he delivered those lines it was like he was questioning himself and trying to replay it in his mind looking for proof, as if he was saying it like, "I'm sure we opened SOME holes for Adrian...right???? I mean, we couldn't have been THAT bad!?!?!". (at least that's the way it sounded to me)

Jobber said:
Bring on Bethel-Thompson!
I am with you. MBT will probably make a ton of rookie mistakes but I sure like his arm.
Much as I don't put that game on Ponder, I would 100% be on board with this! He'd make some mistakes and he seems to get a lot of balls tipped at the line...but it sure would be fun to see him sligin' the ball opening up things for AP.
I am ok with this too. Whoever gives the Vikings the best chance to win.

I don't mind the honest criticisms of poor play as long as a solution is also offered along with it. What I don't like is purely negative statements without suggestion of how things could have been done differently or better.

The offensive line is not a good pass blocking unit, but can be a very good run blocking group. Why they were not able to create space for Peterson in the running game puzzles me, and I would like to see some counters/adjustment if they do, or more so than we saw. This can also be about scripting for more passing and constraint plays to get the defense out of focusing so much on the run as well.

We do not know if Pattersons back injury was such that they limited his use. Simpson did play very well except for that drop-deflection-interception. I think the Vikings should have tried more WR screens however than they did, with Wright or Jennings if Patterson was not ready yet. I think these kind of plays would have been more productive against the Lions defense than they will be against the Bears who play more disciplined.

The Lions do deserve a lot of credit too. They played great. The blocking on that inside screen to Bush was beautiful. A very well executed play that any defense would have trouble with when blocked so well.

Hats off to FBGs who were calling for Reggie Bush to be added to the Lions as long as 2-3 years ago. This seems a perfect fit to compliment their down field passing to Mega. The Vikings did an alright job on Calvin but at the expense of giving up way too much to Bush and Bell.

I am a bit disappointed in Jared Allen as well. I listened to him talk about playing situational football but then we didn't see it. The DEs need to peel off on those screens more often than they did, which is more what I was hoping they would do.

At least statistically Reggie Bush had a game just as good as some of the better games put up by Barry Sanders. Not that I think Bush is as good of a player as Barry, but the numbers are close to some of his better games.

Anyhow on to Chicago.

Lots of overreaction going on here which is typical I suppose. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm not worried. The Lions came out with a purpose, at home, with Reggie Bush and the offense ready to break out and prove that last year was a fluke. They have a very good (great?) QB, a dynamic RB that fits their system perfectly, the best WR in the game and an absolutley vicious D-Line. Detroit is a good team. The Vikes were on the road, arguably not knowing what to expect out of the Lions offense or defense, and both Viking lines played terribly. They got beat on the road by a divisional foe. It happens. On to next week.

As for Musgrave/ Ponder... sheesh. I hate how conservative Musgrave is, but it seems to fit this team as it is presently built. Without Musgrave and his ingenuity with the running game, this team goes 6-10 in 2012. And Ponder definitely is taking way more blame for this loss than a guy who had a sieve for an OL in front of him all day long should be taking. No, I'm not a Ponder lover. But there is still hope for him. Not much, maybe, but it's there.

Unleash Cordarelle Patterson!!!!

Lots of overreaction going on here which is typical I suppose. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm not worried. The Lions came out with a purpose, at home, with Reggie Bush and the offense ready to break out and prove that last year was a fluke. They have a very good (great?) QB, a dynamic RB that fits their system perfectly, the best WR in the game and an absolutley vicious D-Line. Detroit is a good team. The Vikes were on the road, arguably not knowing what to expect out of the Lions offense or defense, and both Viking lines played terribly. They got beat on the road by a divisional foe. It happens. On to next week.

As for Musgrave/ Ponder... sheesh. I hate how conservative Musgrave is, but it seems to fit this team as it is presently built. Without Musgrave and his ingenuity with the running game, this team goes 6-10 in 2012. And Ponder definitely is taking way more blame for this loss than a guy who had a sieve for an OL in front of him all day long should be taking. No, I'm not a Ponder lover. But there is still hope for him. Not much, maybe, but it's there.

Unleash Cordarelle Patterson!!!!
The issue I had with the game is the game was not nearly as close as the final score would indicate.

With the poor play of Ponder, the OL and the DL, basically the whole team other then Peterson, it easily could have been a 45-13 game

We were lucky the Lions were, well being the Lions :pokey:

A Negated a TD return due to a Suh cheap hit .. The 3 TD's called back after replay.. and I think 2 of those called back ended up being FG's.

They'll have to have a 180 degree turn around and close to a perfect game next week to not start 0-2.

My plan right now for Sunday is put my Snogger Viking jersey on, open a bottle of my home made wine and just be happy Football is back on.. :banned:

I will take a shot at being a Ponder apologist (even though I'm not so sure I want to be). He's got the physical tools to be a decent starting QB. His arm is fine, he's got plus mobility, accuracy when given time is fine. His upside is a Schaub/Hasselbeck type player. Flacco's arm and accuracy are better than his. He can be at his best with time and good receivers/scheme.

His biggest problem is mental. He feels pressure too quickly, doesn't seem willing to step into pressure, locks onto his primary target, and throws too late. He also seems to lack the fire/determination that you see from the better QBs. I don't see any leadership on the field.

I wonder if he had 2 years to sit and learn behind a vet if some of this could be coached out of him and if he could gain some confidence. I understand why the coaches want to stick with him - coming into the draft he was considered polished and pro ready, if unspectacular. His tools are just good enough to tempt the staff to try to coach him up, and with ADP and (before last week) a decent defense, win games. But the bonehead INTs, holding the ball too long, bailing on the throw under pressure are just too much IMO.

He's one if those players that, when you watch him, you feel like he's better than his stat line. But even I'm getting to the point that he is what he is, one of the worst 5 QBs starting in the league.

I might be the only one...but I'm just as excited for next week as I was for this week. While Ponder could play worse than he did last week, I'm not sure the rest of the team possibly can. Harrison Smith was about the only player to show up on defense and the only thing the D did all game was tip some passes. 69 was a complete non-factor and even though they credited him with a sack I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it to a QB run for loss. Both lines and the coaching staff are getting blasted locally and I expect they'll come out fired up losing the, "we've got AP...we'll be OK", mentality.

We were lucky they didn't hang 50 on us.

So how much does Spielman give to Rivers next year?
Answer: $0. SD will trade him before they'd ever let him go. Sadly, Rivers is prob best case scenario if Ponder remains in the terrible to average range.

The real question is how much will Spielman give Freeman? God help us Viking faithful... ADP is going to waste...

So Ponder's accuracy is fine when given time.......5 - 10 minutes? Bet it's even better with no defense.

Would like to see what Ponders passing stats were last season minus the quick screen throws (especially to Percy before his injury).

Would like to see what Ponders passing stats were last season minus the quick screen throws (especially to Percy before his injury).
Not good. But I think you guys will need to buy a new horse for this one. Not much left of it to beat down.

Positives -

Josh Robinson did an alright job playing the slot. Much better than what he showed in preseason.

Xavier Rhodes did pretty well for his 1st game. I saw him matched up on Mega often.

Erin Henderson had an interception! :o I have been pretty harsh on him (deservedly so) in regards to his pass coverage. Maybe he does better now as the MLB. The Vikings need him to as he is playing the nickle LB now as well (Vikings were in nickle a lot, Mitchell hardly played 33 out of 80 defensive snaps).

The Vikings emphasis on causing turnovers. I saw glimpses of this. The TD Bell jumped over the line for was very close to being a turn over. Sanford lined up the ball well on that play.

As the coaches have been talking about during the week, the Vikings need to do a better job of defending the screen game. This means the defensive ends. I am still a bit angry at Jared Allen as I think he played undisciplined at times going for the sack instead of making sure they do not screen.

Kevin Williams may be able to play. Even if only on limited snaps, it will help the defense from a leadership stand point.

Fred Evans continues to be one of the fastest defenders off the line. Guion still played more defensive snaps than Evans (why? 49 to 42). Hopefully with KW back that will mean Guion plays less.

Sharrif Floyd got some experience.

Jerome Simpson looks a lot better than last season.

I suppose I also could have said Antoine Winfield likely would have made a big difference against the Lions.

He retired though.

Having Jared Allen worrying more about padding his stats making sacks (for new contract) instead of playing fundamental football needs to change.

Matt Kalil must have had an earful prior to him publicly acknowledging that he needs to play better. Maybe focus on working off those peanut butter sandwiches. Kalil was one of the main difference makers for the Vikings last season. The team needs him to play well for the team to be successful. The guards need to do a better job also. Suh is no picnic.

The Bears are 6 point favorites. I not feeling optomistic at all. I don't think we can keep pace with the Bears on offense. Only chance is if Cutler has an off day. What has happenned to Everson Griffen? Haven't heard his name been mentioned since last season?

Donnybrook said:
The Bears are 6 point favorites. I not feeling optomistic at all. I don't think we can keep pace with the Bears on offense. Only chance is if Cutler has an off day. What has happenned to Everson Griffen? Haven't heard his name been mentioned since last season?
Griffen played in what was a pretty even rotation at DT. The Vikings played Guion far too much again.

defensive snaps

Guion 49

Evans 42

Griffen 47

Floyd 42

I watched the coaches film again this morning.

Floyd too often missed what likely would have been plays made in the backfield or near line of scrimmage if it were Kevin in there instead.

Chad Greenway missed tackles too often.

Although Robinson and Henderson made some plays, they also were out of position often from reacting to misdirection.

Jared Allen played pretty well at first but then in the 2nd quarter he kept crashing inside, some of which may have been by design to help the inside guys, but this left too much open space in the flat.

The defense needs to play a lot better.

Say, Vikes fans, FF question - I realize Harvin was a sort of specialized player but who in the WR corps has taken over more or less where Harvin was playing? Is it Jennings or Wright or Simpson?

I had thought Wright be looking at a good season taking over for Harvin, but is it really Simpson? That was a heck of a game last week by Simpson and trying to understand what's going on there even if just a one week wonder. Thanks.

The Vikings emphasis on causing turnovers. I saw glimpses of this. The TD Bell jumped over the line for was very close to being a turn over. Sanford lined up the ball well on that play.
Actually if you go back and watch some replays, it was Henderson that knocked that ball out at the goalline. I think only one of the replay angles show it, but it clearly shows it was #50.

Say, Vikes fans, FF question - I realize Harvin was a sort of specialized player but who in the WR corps has taken over more or less where Harvin was playing? Is it Jennings or Wright or Simpson?

I had thought Wright be looking at a good season taking over for Harvin, but is it really Simpson? That was a heck of a game last week by Simpson and trying to understand what's going on there even if just a one week wonder. Thanks.
It's hard to say right now. If you asked me before the first game, I'd have said Cordarrelle or Wright would get that role, but neither saw much time in the first game. That may continue if the OL continues to struggle, as I'd expect more 2 TE sets to help the OL. With just Jennings/Simpson on the field (which will probably continue until Cordarrelle gets seasoned) I think defenses may key on Jennings, and Simpson may benefit if he can make the easy catches in addition to the highlight reel variety. It's just hard to say, since passing is not something this team is going to do consistently.

I'm not sure we learned a whole lot from week 1...other than if things don't change, there's no reason to look at a Viking WR contributing this year with Ponder under center.

Harvin's role is gone...getting the ball in his hands was by design because of who he was (skillset and drama), not because the offensive demands a player to be there. Last year once he went out we abondoned his playcalling...which is when we saw Wright taking more crossing patterns and deep balls. As far as the quick outs and behind the line throws, so far we've seen that they throw them to Jennings, Simpson, and CP...with CP being reported to have had a back issue last week it's hard to know how much more he would have played. I think lots of us Vikings fans have been impressed by not only his athleticism, but his ability to catch the ball (easy catches, not just the highlight real ones).

I lean towards Simpson's game being an anomaly...he hasn't shown us a game even close to resembling this before. I think if he can have another solid game or two, Ponder might start having some faith in him that he can let the ball fly on a timing route and trust that Simpson will do his part and at least give his best effort.

Actually if you go back and watch some replays, it was Henderson that knocked that ball out at the goalline. I think only one of the replay angles show it, but it clearly shows it was #50.
I just watched it again 3 times. I agree that Henderson filled the gap which caused Bell to go airborne. But the ball does not pop out until Sanford hits the ball cleanly and pops it out. The score keeper credits the forced fumble to Sanford as well.

Of course this is all for naught because the ball crossed the plane of the end zone and the fumble was overturned.

Jason answered this pretty well already.

As far as bubble screen plays go those will be to Jennings, Wright and Patterson. Jennings and Wright are playing the Z receiver which is what Harvin played. For now Wright is playing slot if they go 3 WR but all 3 of these WR can play the slot interchangeably.

Simpson and Patterson are playing the X receiver which is not a position that Harvin played. The X receiver is more of a down field threat than the Z.

Read the Patterson thread for more on the kinds of plays he was used on in Tennesse and how the Vikings may use him. While I do think he may get some plays similar to how the Vikings used Harvin at some point, for the most part they have other plans for him than that role, which as Jason pointed out is not really a staple of the Vikings offense anymore.

The Vikings do need to develop this type of threat more than they have thus far however, which will help open up the running game, this is the main benefit of the WR screens and constraint plays the Vikings used with Harvin, to open up the run game. Somewhat similar to how the Saints have used Sproles.

None of the 3 canidates will be used for this role exclusively like Harvin was.

eta- Joe Webb also in the mix for some of these looks as well.

Any good college coaches the Vikings might be able to hire next year?
I don't think it matters. I just don't see any decent coach wanting this job. Two years playing outdoors (in Minnesota) at a college stadium with a team that hasn't played worth a crap outside in decades. The team picked up the option on Frazier's contract earlier in the year and he's going to be the guy through at least next season. During the game I was thinking about how the players look like they don't give a crap. I think it's a perfect example of a team taking the personality of their coach. Frazier is low keyed and calm. I don't want Dennis Green angry but I'd like someone a few steps above a funeral director.

We played the Bears a heck of a lot more competitively than I thought we would. I give them a ton of credit for that. I don't think Ponder played poorly overall. Take away the pick six and he played about what he needs to play for us to win. We are going to need more than that though if the running game isn't churning out the production we expected. I wish the coaching staff had the confidence to try to drive a nail in the coffin rather than worrying about Chicago timeouts. I think we knew going into the season that LB would be iffy (it is), and someone would need to step in for Winfield at CB. Overall though the defense made some huge plays. Oh well, losing a heartbreaker is better than getting creamed like I thought we might. I'll put this in the moral victory column.

Agreed, I thought the defense and special teams were much worse than Ponder. Do they have any pass rush at all?

I know it's not going to happen anytime soon but we need new coaches.

The days of running the ball and defense are being phased out.

You can't play for field goals on offense, I would like a coaching staff that plays to win as opposed to playing not to loose.

Can we find an o-line coach who can teach the two guards and center not to all block the same guy, that would help.

I understand we play a lot of zone coverage but does that mean we should leave the receivers wide open all the time?

1st quarter Chad Greenway missing tackles. Peterson could have bounced outside for 1st down but didn't. Henderson not reacting to run or coverage well enough. Greenway cannot cover Bennett.

Ponder throwing alright when there is time which was 2 plays. Tried to run for 1st down on 3rd down but didn't make it. Was a gutsy run though. Charlie Johnson getting pinned inside on blitz by Briggs. Pass attempt to Zach Line on 1st down not a good decision. WR to screen to Patterson well covered on 2nd down. Patterson makes a 1st down on the 2nd screen to him with some nice running. Blocking helps.

False start on the Oline when the Bears threaten blitz with the FS on 3rd and long.Ponder throws underhand to Gerhardt putting it at risk of interception. The ball floated what seemed like 3 seconds.

Weather messes up the 2nd quarter. I still never saw how Kevin Williams made an interception. I assume this put and end to some of the screen fun.

The Vikings put together some long drives in the 2nd half. Peterson lost 13 yards near the goal line on their last drive.

Erin Henderson and Chris Cook fail to cover Bennett for 2 catches that lost the game. Chad Greenway also could have covered Bennett better on the TD.

Bears LB Anderson seemed to be good on several plays when the Vikings were running the ball. I like the group they have. The whole Bears defense is pretty deep and talented at all 3 levels.

The forced fumble by Guion was a great play as was the interception by Smith. That will make Cutler think twice about throwing to Marshall. The defense made some good plays at times but also gave up easy catches to Bennett all game. The tipped pass by Rhodes was a nice play. The defense has some flaws but they have also made some plays and looked better than against Detroit.

Kalil played better. He looked angry at times. Had the one false start. The guards still need to play better. Zach Line is not playing as well as Felton or Ellison. John Carlson thrown around like a rag doll on a pass route never getting of the line. Also fumbled the ball. I am not sure if his pay cut was worth it.

Some of the pass routes like dumping off to the FB or RB in front of the linebacker should bring the defense even closer. But then we didn't see the follow up to that. Throwing behind the defense. Ponder did complete one to Jennings later on in the game, but executing one of these earlier would have loosened up the coverage a bit. And maybe get them from pressing so close to the line. Dumping to the RB in front of that just brings them closer.

The diamond formation is interesting. I laughed when the Vikings sent the 2 players in the backfield to the right then run a draw with Peterson to the left. Ponder does actually sell the fake ok but it is funny to watch as giving it to Peterson there should be the defenses main concern. Peterson has no lead blockers and the hand off is delayed. Like no I am not going to give it to Peterson. This does perhaps set up flare passes or a toss sweep to the other RB as a counter. Did not see that. I think Patterson could play the tail back on that play and we toss it to him going to the right.

The Bears are a good team. A deep defense and improving offense with quality players almost everywhere. Even solid special teams with Hester.

If Peterson did not fumble and the 13 yard loss trying to cut the play back across the field. The Vikings may have been able to win. I thought Ponder played quite a bit better in the 2nd half and hopefully that is something the offense can build on. Jared Allen with the forced fumble that Robinson returns for a score was also a huge play. All of the Linebackers need to play better and the Vikings need to find someone who can cover a TE.

Unfortunately, here is what I see happening..

Vikes lose next week in Chicago to go to 0-2.. They decide that Ponder played just good enough to not lose his job so he starts against Cleveland and wins.. Then they go to London, Steelers are not looking much better and they pull of a win to go to 2-2..

Regardless how good or bad Ponder plays he retains his starting job.. They come off the Bye and beat the Panthers at home to go to 3-2 and people forget who they played and start looking like this guy :excited:

Brutal schedule then hits and they proceed to go on a 7 game losing streak.. we are now 3-9 and decide to hand the reins over to McLeod Bethel-Thompson and see what he has to offer going forward..

He does just enough to get the coaches thinking with a good off season he can be a quality starting QB.. We then get to look forward to another off season of not making a move for a QB, waste away another year of Peterson's talent, and go into 2014 with yet another project QB.. :kicksrock:
:mellow: So far about right.. Ponder played just well enough against the Bears to keep his starting job at least through the Bye week.. Cleveland sucks right now so they better win, which will keep this post on the mark..

Tonight we shall see if the Steeler's are better then they looked last week, or if the Vike's will still have a shot at a victory in London..

Still think no matter how they play against the Steeler's, as long as they beat the Browns, we are "stuck" with Ponder until the season is out of hand and we are in the running for a "star" Rookie QB in next years draft.. Hopefully my last sentence above about going into 2014 with McLeod as our starting QB and not drafting a rookie QB does NOT happen.

Biabreakable said:
I just watched it again 3 times. I agree that Henderson filled the gap which caused Bell to go airborne. But the ball does not pop out until Sanford hits the ball cleanly and pops it out. The score keeper credits the forced fumble to Sanford as well.

Of course this is all for naught because the ball crossed the plane of the end zone and the fumble was overturned.
Did you see the replay angle from the back right of the endzone? I've been looking for it but I can't find it and don't have DVR.

Not that this conversation is a big deal...you were encouraged with EJ after week 1 and I just wanted him to get the full credit he deserved because I'm positive if you can find that replay angle you'll see his fist knocked it out and it then bounced off Sanford.

Well, another very entertaining game at least...I'm not sure I can ever remember watching a game with more big plays, what a roller coaster that was. Disappointing outcomes, but thus far both games have been really fun to watch.

I thought Ponder played a better overall game than his numbers suggest..that INT was brutal though. He did enough to allow us to win the game...which is the expectation.

Coaching and special teams were the downfall yesterday. Hester averaging 50 yards/return is completely unacceptable...not sure where their average starting field position was, but it had to of been close to our 40...again. :/ For the D to hold them to 24 points, and only 7 in the 2nd half is impressive.

I can remember at least 4 called roll-outs to the left for Ponder again..WTF is with these?

Defensive playcalling at the end of the game was ridiculous.

How you do not throw a single ball into the endzone on that last drive AP lost 13 is puzzling?? I know we're a running team, and I can see several failed scenarios where we would all be screaming "how you don't give AP the ball there 3 times I'll never understand", but there's so many things that can happen to extend the drive even if you don't get in the endzone (defensive holding, pass interference, late hit to QB).

Overall I thought the officials did a pretty good job again. I was very surprised they overturned the ponder diving out of bounds first down. They must have had a dam good camera angle to see exactly where that ball crossed the line.

On a rainy day I think the returner has the advantage over the defense. He makes the move and others need to react. Hester is all world so that advantage is magnified.

Users who are viewing this thread