What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stevan Ridley Support Group (1 Viewer)

killrobotkill

Footballguy
After Ridley's disaster today, what should we expect out of him? RBBC with Vereen/Blount? Doomed to purgatory? Or will he be right back starting Week 2 against the Jets? What is Belichick's history with these situations?

It's full-blown panic button time, so let's try to put the pieces together.

prob get another shot next week to be the 1st and 2nd down back against the Jets. Nothing new here, BB benched him a couple of times last yr for fumbling and Ridley seems to have a problem.

I have Wilson, Ridley, Lamar miller and ryan Mathews as my rb's and need to start 2. I guarantee I wont be starting miller or ridley next week. I am thinking I am screwed ;(

he'll be fine. he had same issue last year. Vereen not a good solution for them since he doesnt have that explosiveness that keeps safeties honest. Once this lesson is done ridley will be back

Ridley owners should be worried, but the only move here is to stand pat (pun intended) unless someone offers you a trade you would have accepted before today. Ridley's value took an understandable hit, and it's clear that continued fumbling will result in Ridley grabbing pine, which is unsurprising given his history and sufficient depth at RB in NE. On the other hand, it's not yet clear how long this specific benching will last. I would be in no hurry to acquire him -- although some will and it's certainly worth inquiring about if you're willing to take the risk -- but I would not panic sell him either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drafted Ridley his rookie year but was lucky enough to snag up Vereen when his owner dropped him. I've always believed Ridley was the better of the two but now I'm not to sure. I will not be starting him next week I will be looking at other options.

People should be worried. Ridley isnt special, hes a good runner but hes not any kind of special talent. Merely good backs who fumble arent on the field long.

he'll be fine. he had same issue last year. Vereen not a good solution for them since he doesnt have that explosiveness that keeps safeties honest. Once this lesson is done ridley will be back
Not to mention Blount is not effective and looked like he had cement shoes on.

Vereen is better and emerging. RIP Ridley
. I absolutely agree with this. Vereen looked dynamic out there today and was very involved. I think that and the inexperience at wr after amendola will make vereen an every week no brainer rb2/flex play. I do think that there is room for Ridley and vereen to both thrive in the pays offense though, and I think Ridley will get another shot to redeem himself in week 2

I am worried, but remember that Vereen and Ridley are different backs. There is a reason that Vereen has never been the lead back.

If healthy, look for Bolden to get more time if Ridley's time on the field is reduced.

I'm herb and i'm an excited previous ridley/current vereen owner. Interested to see what happens next week against the jets

I think Ridley gets another shot this week. BB just wants to motivate Ridley. I bet Ridley holds onto that football now!

I didn't plan on drafting him this season after owning him last year. I was actually targeting Vereen but I ended up with Ridley as my RB1 after drafting upside down picks 1-3 then missed out on Vereen later..

Hopefully he gets another shot next week, is productive and doesn't fumble. I now have to decide if I'm better off starting Joique Bell going forward....

Rotoworld:

Stevan Ridley said he understood why he was benched in Sunday's win over the Bills.
Ridley fumbled twice in the first half, although the first one was narrowly overturned by replay. "It was pretty obvious, man, you can't have two turnovers in one game and expect to stay in," he said. "The coaches had to do the best move for the team and make sure we won this game." Ridley fumbled four times last year. He also lost a fumble in both Week 17 and the Wild Card playoff game in 2011. It's going to be really hard to get inside Bill Belichick's mind heading into Week 2. Shane Vereen piled up 159 yards on 21 touches Sunday.

Related: Shane Vereen

Source: ESPN Boston

The shame of it is he was probably headed for a big game. Almost 50 yards in just over a quarter.

Sign me up. I had Ridley, Spiller, and MJD starting today. And I played against Peyton manning. :(

Hi I'm Billy and a Ridley owner from last year, and current Vereen owner. Don't panic, Hoodie just put him the corner for today, Ridley will be back at it on Thursday night getting his usual touches. (and don't jump if he doesn't start) It will be ok, you can get through this.

I wonder if the same people hating Ridley were on that pathetic Wilson bandwagon.

Shows how much they know.

LinusMarr said:
I have Wilson, Ridley, Lamar miller and ryan Mathews as my rb's and need to start 2. I guarantee I wont be starting miller or ridley next week. I am thinking I am screwed ;(
You might be better off just killing yourself.

I own Ridley and Vereen...at a loss who to start Thursday.

I have Ridley in one league, I am really concerned.

Anyone discounting Vereen right now is crazy. He looked good today. He's going to get the ball for the near future.

I own Ridley and Vereen...at a loss who to start Thursday.
I'd start both depending on what your other options are. The Pats use Vereen a lot differently. They had him split out wide a bunch of times and not just as a decoy. Brady looked to him and missed him on a great double move that would have been a big gain, possibly TD. Ridley was running well too. The fumble lost for the TD was pretty flukey, he slipped and the ground caused it to come out.

LinusMarr said:
Rm should shred Phillys d provided he's still healthy.

Vereen looked great today.
Vereen has always been the more talented running back, but started last year injured and his role was taken by Woodhead. Ridley was excellent last year and therefore Vereen's chances were limited.

He looked good yesterday, and with Ridley fumbling I suspect Vereen will see more touches as a result. I'd much rather own Vereen than Ridley right now, and I say that as someone who owns a combination of them across several leagues.

I took Blount as my last pick in a few drafts so this was my dream scenario, but he didn't do anything with the opportunity. I completely avoided Ridley this year, but I don't think he's done just yet. He'll get another shot next week. If Blount had blown up, maybe not, but they aren't going to overload Vereen. They need him in the passing game too much to risk giving him 200+ carries.

LinusMarr said:
You might be better off just killing yourself.
Ryan Mathews will save the day.

Some of the Ridley owners in this thread are way too calm. Even take out the fumbles, Vereen looked better than Ridley yesterday. He's a much shiftier runner, but still ran pretty tough.

Saying "Oh don't worry - this happened last year and it was fine" is misguided. This is a new year. Belichick doesn't care what you did last year. You could stand Godfather to his child one week and be on the bench the next. If Vereen is better, Vereen will play more.

To make things worse, last year Ridley kinda had his role to himself and Vereen had to share his role with Woodhead. This year, Ridley is the one sharing a role with Blount, and Vereen has his role to himself.

Ridley will never be relegated to a complete backup or anything, but it's very possible that his piece of the pie continues to shrink.

Ridley still averaged 5.1 YPC yesterday. Vereen had a better day, but Ridley was far from a Wilson or Lamar Miller type week, i.e. suicide watch.

Do you know which one is Ridley and which one is Vereen?

My name is Dave and I drafted Ridley in two leagues....ugh!!! Im not in full panic mode, but will be if he doesnt play much on thursday night (which i can totally see happening). Question- What RB would you trade straight up for Ridley (redraft)? May be able to get Wilson? One headache for another..I almost think WIlson is assured playing time bc the Giants' RB situation is so bad... WHo would you trade straight up for RIdley?

My name is Dave and I drafted Ridley in two leagues....ugh!!! Im not in full panic mode, but will be if he doesnt play much on thursday night (which i can totally see happening). Question- What RB would you trade straight up for Ridley (redraft)? May be able to get Wilson? One headache for another..I almost think WIlson is assured playing time bc the Giants' RB situation is so bad... WHo would you trade straight up for RIdley?
Any Denver RB. Don't own any of them but thats about as good as I would offer you in a straight 1for1 trade.

Problem with Ridley is that he has a histroy of fumbling and the Patriots have added a lot of guys for his role in contrast to Vereen who seems to be pretty safe.

Ridley still averaged 5.1 YPC yesterday. Vereen had a better day, but Ridley was far from a Wilson or Lamar Miller type week, i.e. suicide watch.
When pointing out Ridley's 5.1 YPC you should also point out Vereen's 7.2 YPC rather than just say "he had a better day". LOL

It should also be noted that Vereen yesterday, in one game, caught more passes for more yards than Ridley did all of last year.

People confidently stating that this was a one game anomaly and that Ridley will be back next week and moving forward need to check themselves a little.

Vereen not a good solution for them since he doesnt have that explosiveness that keeps safeties honest. Once this lesson is done ridley will be back
yikes. That's the saddest post I've read in a long time.

I'm far from a Ridley fan but I'm buying low. He has a role in a prolific offense. Vereen won't avg this many touches all year.

Users who are viewing this thread