What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are you dropping? (1 Viewer)

chihawk

Footballguy
To pick up a player on waiver wire, you obviously have to also drop someone. After doing all your research during the off-season and preparing for your draft, who are players that you are now giving up on after only one week and dropping for someone else that wasn't drafted?

I know there is a thread for who are you panicking about, but while you may be panicking about David Wilson, you aren't considering dropping him, so these are two very different threads.

Here's my take....

QB:
Probably not many here, but if you drafted Josh Freeman to be your backup, maybe you are looking for a more exciting backup like EJ Manuel or Pryor. With QB being so deep, maybe only keeping one QB on your roster is the way to go and drop backups like Freeman, Roethlisberger, Cutler, or even Bradford....assuming that you have a better option.

RB:
I don't see too many teams dropping RBs since it's such a valuable commodity and most of them may be worth holding onto in case of opportunity due to injury (for ex. Ivory, Helu, Jacquizz Rodgers). I'm almost thinking Ingram is droppable.

WR:
Panthers faces a good defense, but if you drafted LaFell, there may be better options on the waiver wire. The same thing may go for the Titan's WRs Wright and Britt. Are you really going to ever feel comfortable starting one of those guys with Locker throwing the ball? If you drafted Patterson and Wheaton it may be worth it to keep them on your roster for a few weeks to see what happens, but they may approach droppable as well. Ponder is just not the QB you want for a rookie WR.

TE:
Everyone's preseason favorite Sudfeld posted a big fat zero and is probably not the answer that everyone was looking for while Gronk is out. If Gronk is coming back in a couple of weeks are you really ever going to start him again with the potential of another zero. I would drop him. I'm torn on Fleener. I was thinking he would be involved a lot more due to familiarity with coach, QB, and system, but he was not involved at all. If Julius Thomas wasn't drafted (which he probably was in a lot of leagues), then definitely drop Fleener and other low performing TEs for him (maybe Pettigrew or Fred Davis if they were drafted), but I don't see too many other TEs being dropped.

Obviously if you drafted two defenses or kickers...get rid of one of them and take a chance on a player that performed well in week 1.

dropping for sudfeld the dud-feld for any TE (celek, bennett, gresham, davis) at this point...dog house, hammy, gronk, edelmann is not adding up for him

In a 14 teamer, I'm considering dropping

Quinton Patton

Brandon LaFell

Mark Ingram

Might even pick up a third QB since there are only six starters on the waiver wire.

chihawk said:
WR:
Panthers faces a good defense, but if you drafted LaFell, there may be better options on the waiver wire. The same thing may go for the Titan's WRs Wright and Britt. Are you really going to ever feel comfortable starting one of those guys with Locker throwing the ball? If you drafted Patterson and Wheaton it may be worth it to keep them on your roster for a few weeks to see what happens, but they may approach droppable as well. Ponder is just not the QB you want for a rookie WR.
That's what I'm doing. Ditching LaFell in my 12-team PPR league and targeting Simpson, Baldwin, or Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped Baltimore Ravens for Julian Edelman and Kenny Britt for Marlon Brown.

Incidentally, can we get an established definition for a short bench. My league's bench is five players deep, which seems short to me, but I'm not sure it really qualifies.

In a re-draft Montee Ball is looking no better than the tier of Kendall Hunter, Christine Michael, Ingram, Pierce, and Tate. And probably worse than the last two. I'm not dropping him week 2 but if he doesn't score more than 5-6 points after the first month he's toast for me. That offense runs through Manning and Ball will never be on the field during 3rd downs, and now isn't even on the field during the first two downs.

I don't think I would drop Givens if I had him. I think he's promising.

LaFell on the other hand has been given umpteen opportunities to do something and he's very consistently and reliably proven that he's not very good, at all. Had him last year and I would cut bait on that guy if I had him again.

Dropping DeAndre Hopkins and some of these young receivers for guys like Hartline doesn't make much sense to me. If you have a rookie WR, you did not draft him for the first 8 weeks of the season (or maybe the whole season if you're in a keeper league). Rookie WR's tend to come on in the second half. Plus Hopkins looked pretty good last night. IMO if you drafted Patterson, Hopkins, Tompkins, etc., those guys are all holds right now.

Incidentally, can we get an established definition for a short bench. My league's bench is five players deep, which seems short to me, but I'm not sure it really qualifies.
It depends on how many starters you have too.

If you only start 6 offense (not counting the K), then 5 bench spots is average I would say.

But if you start 8 or more offense due to Flex spots, then 5 bench spots might be close to the short side.

It depends on how many starters you have too.

If you only start 6 offense (not counting the K), then 5 bench spots is average I would say.

But if you start 8 or more offense due to Flex spots, then 5 bench spots might be close to the short side.
Ah. Thanks. We start seven aside from K and DT, so I guess it's a semi-short bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would probably also add Woodhead to the group of potentially droppable players. With Ronnie Brown being there and taking up a lot of the third down and dump-offs, there is very limited upside with Woodhead. So even with an injury to Mathews (who I though looked pretty good in the game) the upside is pretty small.

chihawk said:

RB:
.... I'm almost thinking Ingram is droppable.

I took this plunge and dropped him. Granted, he was my RB4, so that made it a little more palatable.

In this quandary as well. Team is below. I used the Chiefs to their fullest extent for week one while I benched the Ravens. But I don't see playing the Chiefs for at least five weeks now so I think I'm going to drop them for Edelman, Randle, Stills.

I won't give up on Britt just yet. Too soon.

I'm looking at dropping Vincent Brown. He actually looked good when given the chance, but if Eddie Royal is going to be an integral part of the offense, I'm not sure Vincent will get enough targets to keep him over the likes of Edelman, Roberts, M. Brown, Baldwin and several of the tight ends (WR/TE league for me).

Thinking about dropping Kenny britt for joique bell (had chances to pick him up before too). Also thinking of dropping Big Ben for Pryor or Sam bradford

Last week dropped Joique Bell to get Le'Veon Bell when I heard that the latter was already out of his walking boot and might come back sooner than expected (PPR league, short bench). Now after seeing Detroit and Pittsburgh playing this past weekend (and as a Bush owner), I'm gonna try to do the exact opposite.

A little surprised by the talk of dropping V. Brown.
I'm considering it. There was talk of him being a PPR machine. Royal looked pretty good there, and Floyd doesn't seem to go away, but he should. I don't know. I would think he's droppable for an Edelman, or even a Marlon Brown type flier. He's probably a hold and see what he does in the next week or two, but with short rosters and injuries piling up, I can see it.

So, do you think V.Brown is better than Edelman ROS? Or just defending Brown on the assumption that there must be a worse option to cut?

LittlePhatty said:
Chris Givens is my only candidate, and I don't think he's worth dropping for Edelman. Could go either way.
Don't do it.

Edelman's had a history of injuries, and Givens has a shot to finish in the top 20.

I think you'll regret dumping Givens.

He's not facing Patrick Peterson (best corner in the league right now IMO) every week.

I would probably also add Woodhead to the group of potentially droppable players. With Ronnie Brown being there and taking up a lot of the third down and dump-offs, there is very limited upside with Woodhead. So even with an injury to Mathews (who I though looked pretty good in the game) the upside is pretty small.
The value with Woodhead comes with a Mathews injury. Brown will need help and that help is Woodhead especially in PPR.

Users who are viewing this thread