What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (5 Viewers)

The fact that it's a prequel is interesting...makes me think perhaps Saul will not survive the last 3 episodes?

The fact that it's a prequel is interesting...makes me think perhaps Saul will not survive the last 3 episodes?
I wouldn't read too much into that. Could be death, jail or nothing.

I think they can do a lot more, story-wise, pre BB because he's not on the DEA's radar. Or any other's radar, really.

Looks like the earliest this will come out is Late Summer 2014. I don't know if I can wait that long.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Could be death, jail or nothing.

I think they can do a lot more, story-wise, pre BB because he's not on the DEA's radar. Or any other's radar, really.
:goodposting:

Probably, in keeping with the Breaking Bad theme, possibly outlining his fall from ethical attorney to sleezebag or something.

I have a hard time imagining what a spinoff series focused on Saul would be like, but at this point I would not miss an episode of anything that Vince Gilligan created. Hell, I would watch "The Breakfast Club" starring RJ Mitte or "Purple Plunder" starring Betsy Brandt.

I have a hard time imagining what a spinoff series focused on Saul would be like, but at this point I would not miss an episode of anything that Vince Gilligan created. Hell, I would watch "The Breakfast Club" starring RJ Mitte or "Purple Plunder" starring Betsy Brandt.
it seems unclear how much involvement Gilligan will have with this show.

I'm surprised it's a Prequel. I wonder what year it will take place in. 2005 or something?
A prequel makes me a lot more interested. :thumbup:
Well, I'm already ready to bust them. "Wait a minute! They just passed a 2011 Impala! That doesn't exist yet!" I can't think of any TV show that was ever set in the recent past.
"A lawyer wouldn't really do what Saul did last week. Seems implausible at best."

Yeah, I'm sure that the quality of the show will depend heavily on the extent of Gilligan's involvement.

Yeah, I'm sure that the quality of the show will depend heavily on the extent of Gilligan's involvement.
I don't know about that. As I said earlier, AMC has put out more hits than misses. I'm not saying it's going to be good. But I'm saying there's a good chance it's going to be good.

I don't know about that. As I said earlier, AMC has put out more hits than misses. I'm not saying it's going to be good. But I'm saying there's a good chance it's going to be good.
I agree. But I think Gilligan could be the difference between good and great.

I agree. But I think Gilligan could be the difference between good and great.
Yeah. I can agree with that.

Something tells me its a type of comedy and we learn and get to know all the intricate characters that call Saul.

This would be like doing a prequel for The Wire starring Clay Davis. Good character, but you can't really base a show around him. A prequel about Mike and Gus would be great, but you can't really go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buckfast 1 said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
I don't think it's unclear. He'll be an executive producer and it has his blessing but the show will be created and run by the writer who created Saul for BB. Gilligan is about to get a very big deal from someone for his next show and he will move on to that.

Bubbles would have an AMAZING prequel story. Pitch that #### to HBO now.

Just a random thought that popped into my head: They already know where the finish line is with this story. When he meets Walt, the series will be pretty much over, unless they build up a parallel story. Instead, I think they should start right before he meets Walt. Then, every new season would go back in time. That way, they could continue the series indefinitely and it would shake up the usual storytelling. Thoughts?

Okay, I'll be the wet blanket. :oldunsure:

I love Saul as much as the rest of you, but he's highly effective in the relatively small doses we get of him. Might his shtick get a little (a lot?) annoying having to carry his own show?

I agree with Aaron.

The biggest pitfall that "Better Call Saul" will have to avoid is not giving Saul enough screen time.

The possibilities and story lines are endless. Do it please, hate to see the series completely dead, something like a spinoff would be wonderful to look forward to.

I love Saul as much as the rest of you, but he's highly effective in the relatively small doses we get of him. Might his shtick get a little (a lot?) annoying having to carry his own show?
I agree with you. It needs to be a sitcom to have a chance. Making it a "serious" show based around him doesn't really work.

I agree with you. It needs to be a sitcom to have a chance. Making it a "serious" show based around him doesn't really work.
I think it will be and should be funny, but I don't see it working as a typical sitcom. I see it more like an hour-long show with some quirky, nutty characters and some elements of realistic drama. Like "Nurse Jackie" or "Orange is the New Black" or something like that.

I think it will be and should be funny, but I don't see it working as a typical sitcom. I see it more like an hour-long show with some quirky, nutty characters and some elements of realistic drama. Like "Nurse Jackie" or "Orange is the New Black" or something like that.
Sure. I didn't mean sitcom literally, but it's definitely got to be comedic, and I'm not even sure that it can have some of the serious themes underlying something like Nurse Jackie.

Basically it's going to have to built around the parade of moronic clients coming through his door, and his dysfunctional private life. That'll work. If it tries to be serious it's going to fall flat, and it definitely can't try to replicate any aspect of Breaking Bad beyond the few characters it borrows and the setting (which will actually add to the comedy because of the contrast).

Who can say, really? It might be terrible, but I think it's worth a shot for any BB fan.

Users who are viewing this thread