What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (2 Viewers)

What site was it that we used to post links to that had articles about the show?  

I need to read an article to remember some of the BB callbacks in the latest episodes.  

Kim is Jimmy's impending tragedy, without her, and that he never fully becomes Saul.  Her conflicts really aren't much to do with her, as far as the series goes.  Her demise is going to be in the very last few episodes ever of this series and I wish they'd string it out 10 seasons instead of just one.
From a professional perspective, her "demise" has already begun. It's slow, and she's fighting it back, but there's going to be some breaking point where she either gets in trouble or outright leave Jimmy because she realizes that's he the trigger for her. 

Great episode this week, but thought the gang not jumping Mike seemed strange. I doubt they’d really be afraid of one old white guy when there was 5 or 6 of them. 
Every old man has about a minute of fight in him that nobody wants.  Mike used about a second and half on that first palooka.  

Every old man has about a minute of fight in him that nobody wants.  Mike used about a second and half on that first palooka.  
i am still a "shall we take this outside" guy. at 6'4 375, in my late 60s i am going thru the fight-phase equivalent of becoming invisible to women - people are not automatically afraid of me anymore. i have regularly stated "you'd be worth going to the hospital for" when ive squared people up the last few years. even one guy, a rude bread-delivery guy at the market who looked pretty confident during the glare-off, got the "you get manslaughter if i have a heart attack during this" from me. i still made him say uncle

i am still a "shall we take this outside" guy. at 6'4 375, in my late 60s i am going thru the fight-phase equivalent of becoming invisible to women - people are not automatically afraid of me anymore. i have regularly stated "you'd be worth going to the hospital for" when ive squared people up the last few years. even one guy, a rude bread-delivery guy at the market who looked pretty confident during the glare-off, got the "you get manslaughter if i have a heart attack during this" from me. i still made him say uncle
But these were gang bangers.  I expect either they'd all jump in or they'd just shoot him once he broke the dude's arm.  

But these were gang bangers.  I expect either they'd all jump in or they'd just shoot him once he broke the dude's arm.  
Yeah that was my least favorite part of the episode. Seemed weird to me that they’d pick a fight with a random guy. Jump him or rob him, I guess. But to just follow him oddly seemed off. 

Great episode this week, but thought the gang not jumping Mike seemed strange. I doubt they’d really be afraid of one old white guy when there was 5 or 6 of them. 
I don’t know how many of them it was going to take but I know how many they planned to use. Ron White.

Guy just split their friend in half. They don’t know if he was carrying - for all they know that was a warning and if they take another step Mike pulls.

Also, not everybody has the heart to fight no matter how tough they pretend they are. Mike demonstrated he was way tougher than any of them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I always expected Kim to go down the wrong path due to Jimmy's influence but was always still rooting for her.  This episode kind of turned that.  Don't think that is a good change.  Kim knows better.  Hard to sympathize with her anymore.   

I always expected Kim to go down the wrong path due to Jimmy's influence but was always still rooting for her.  This episode kind of turned that.  Don't think that is a good change.  Kim knows better.  Hard to sympathize with her anymore.   
Kim's broken, Jimmy's broken. I think that's the attraction to each other

The season started strong, but that was boring last night. Tedious is a word I often use to describe this show. And not in a good way. 

time for wikkid to once again swoop in and remind folks that Better Call Saul is about tedium, that life is a sentence and lawyers cant fix that, cant even fix themselves, that criminal kingpins can be more violently disturbed by soiled fryolaters than orphaning families because choosing our petty perditions is pretty much the best we can do.

The show has moments, but man it drags.  With just a few episodes, I’m not sure how the ending isn’t going to be rushed and or unsatisfying. 

Another issue, I had, with the gang bangers, that mike tangled with(they would have jumped him the first time).  Was that they were of mixed races.  Seemed odd. 

And put me in the camp of enough already with Kim. End it. 

DA RAIDERS said:
The show has moments, but man it drags.  With just a few episodes, I’m not sure how the ending isn’t going to be rushed and or unsatisfying. 

Another issue, I had, with the gang bangers, that mike tangled with(they would have jumped him the first time).  Was that they were of mixed races.  Seemed odd. 

And put me in the camp of enough already with Kim. End it. 
There's one more season coming after this

DA RAIDERS said:
Characteristic of Albq's Edith Blvd, traditionally the seam between white & dark in the downtown area, between black & brown going south

Ghost Rider said:
The season started strong, but that was boring last night. Tedious is a word I often use to describe this show. And not in a good way. 
Yea, last night was the definition of a "Filler episode".. Easily could skip it if you haven't already watched it and not be "lost" next week.. :yawn:   

Characteristic of Albq's Edith Blvd, traditionally the seam between white & dark in the downtown area, between black & brown going south
Ok.

But they seemed to be going for an EOE gang.  I grew up in the hood, LA, and was usually the only white guy. Everyone else was either Latino or black.  Not a mixture of the two. And there were zero Asians.  

Yea, last night was the definition of a "Filler episode".. Easily could skip it if you haven't already watched it and not be "lost" next week.. :yawn:   
I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I didn’t say it was filler; I said it was boring. 

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I didn’t say it was filler; I said it was boring. 
Filler, boring.. If I find myself looking at my phone more than the TV during the hour then it was a "Filler episode" IMO.. :shrug:  

Agree that last night fell a little flat and felt like filler.

The normal enjoyable banter between Gomie and Hank was way too forced. I never thought Kim and Jimmy had incredible sexual tension going -- outside of when they pull off a con, they have always come across a little platonic. And now with the freeze setting in, they need to get on with more active forcing change here and less passive symbolism of breaking bottles. I get why Saul still holds a grudge against Howard and HHM, but launching bowling balls seemed out of the blue -- even if the intent is showing the point of no return for Jimmy as Saul.

Going to be real interesting to see how Gus marshals Nacho and Mike to put the screws to the Lalo and the Salamancas. Lalo's magnetic personality was sorely lacking in this one. And now it's clear why one episode is called Wexler v Goodman. This might be the point of no return for Kim as well.

and is Howard being sincere or is there something else at play here?
I took it as sincere. Sepinwall, too, in his recap:

But Jimmy isn’t just uninterested in the job Howard is dangling in front of him. He is offended to see how well Howard is doing emotionally since that encounter in the men’s room. Chuck’s death broke both of them, but where Jimmy had to turn himself into a largely new person to survive it, Howard over time has managed to turn himself back into the guy he used to be. His interest in hiring Jimmy, and living up to the ideals Jimmy argued for in the Season Four finale, is genuine. We know he’s always liked Jimmy, and that he’s basically a good guy — as good a guy as he can be in that tax bracket, anyway. But his ability to achieve inner peace marks him as someone worthy of Jimmy’s contempt. And on his long drive home from meeting with Mr. Acker — a little guy being stepped on by a Goliath that Howard’s firm used to represent — Jimmy is inspired to stop at a secondhand store in search of tools of mayhem. We see this visit out of context, as the episode’s teaser, unsure why Jimmy needs a heavy object and for what purpose. It’s not until the episode’s almost over that we learn those used bowling balls were purchased for Jimmy to hurl over the gate of Howard’s mansion, aimed at the car with the “Namaste” plates that stirred up all of Jimmy’s old anger and class resentment. No good deed goes unpunished, and Howard will likely never find out that his well-meaning offer to his mentor’s kid brother led to this act of vandalism.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I’ve spent the last three days going through this thread. Finally caught up. 

Good thing I shaved my balls. 

hmmm - everybody's stuck home and BCS s5 reaches it's halfway point and nobody's got anything to say?! hmmm

i like Vince Gilligan shows best when they're being scenic or perverse, and ep 5 had some of both. San Ysidro, at the base of the Jemez Mts 45 min NW of Albq (the area i would live in if i had my choice of any in the Santa Fe/Albq region - if the camera had turned a little east , you would have seen some amazing redrock cliffs, beyond which are natural hot springs on unmanaged state land), stood in for rural Mexico and made me very homesick for the old-fashioned kind of New Mexican living.

and he took the gloves off believability with the stunts against the Tucumcari call center. because i have a writerly head, it's very hard to get me to willingly suspend disbelief, but the best thing about series television is that it occasionally gets one to put themselves in the hands of the filmmakers, trusting that they have your entertainment & edification at heart. not only do characters become one's "friends" but showrunners can too. so they took us thru everything Slippin Jimmy might do as things Saul Goodman did do, and it was gleeful.

once again, the writing staff indulged this Kim thing that i have to say has become one of the most telling commentaries on modern femalehood. every time life gets giddy, Kim wants to tighten up; every time things fall in place, she wants to blow it up and is just not happy unless she's impatient, even though Kim knows down deep that the first thing one has to lose to be happy is impatience. i can see how viewers might be impatient with that themselves, but how we come out of this era of feminine ascendancy is going to determine a LOT of our future, so men & women figuring out women together is a good thing.

I swear to God, if Rhea Seehorn doesn't get an Emmy for this role........

Loved the episode.

Saul's scam was silly and would never work in real life (would it?), but it was a ton of fun to watch.

I thought Mike's section was good, too, until his conversation with Gus. That seemed a little contrived to me, but that's a nit pick.

This was Kim's episode, though. 

I swear to God, if Rhea Seehorn doesn't get an Emmy for this role........
she's not even getting nominated....

i became especially upset about this when i first saw her interviewed recently. having not seen Miss Seehorn in anything before, i naturally figured that a woman with a twitch in her switch was playing a woman with a twitch in her switch. she still does it especially well but, when i saw her interviewed, i found her to be your basic actor gal - kinda "huh"ish; open, dreamy reaction time; a nice, regular person enjoying showbiz luck. she must wind herself like an old-fashioned clock to play Kim.

Users who are viewing this thread