What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (3 Viewers)

Just starting Season 5 on Netflix now that it dropped.  I watched the first episode and it was so long ago that I watched Season 4 I have no idea what is going on.  Damn I am getting old.  
Glad it’s not just me.  Did the same thing and felt the same way!  lol 

Meh why do they announce this sort of thing 
To get the Breaking Bad fan who hasn't committed to the Saul series yet to get intrigued.   Gives them time before this final season starts to watch past seasons and then commit to the final season when it starts.  Ratings.

I'm hoping their "appearance" amounts to Saul/Jimmy passing them by while they stand in line in a convenience store to pay for gas after fueling up the RV or something like that. 

Any extended time or even lines from them will totally take me out of the show, which would be a shame.  El Camino was distracting enough with how they both looked in what was supposed to be the Breaking Bad timeframe, I can't imagine Aaron Paul trying to play Season 1 Jessie again now 3 years after El Camino.  

A walk or drive-by cameo for them would be perfect though. 

I'm hoping their "appearance" amounts to Saul/Jimmy passing them by while they stand in line in a convenience store to pay for gas after fueling up the RV or something like that. 

Any extended time or even lines from them will totally take me out of the show, which would be a shame.  El Camino was distracting enough with how they both looked in what was supposed to be the Breaking Bad timeframe, I can't imagine Aaron Paul trying to play Season 1 Jessie again now 3 years after El Camino.  

totally understand this and they could end up ruining the story. but i'm the opposite, the timeline at the end of S5 is walking right into the start of Breaking Bad timeline beginning, so it makes sense to throw in some crossover storylines. if done right, and i think the writers for these two shows are more than capable of it, it could be a few nice a ha lol moments to end it all.

at least until the next spinoff. a Howard story? Kim?

Maybe flashback/forward thing to the black and white world of Gene the Cinnabon manager? I figure at some point we finish with the back story and go to the "present" with him probably in the finale?
It could happen, with Better Call Saul season 6 offering Walter White three clear paths into its narrative. The simplest (but most unlikely) comes via Better Call Saul's main 2008 timeline. At this point, Walt will be sullenly teaching apathetic teens and watching his son eat a week's worth of cereal in a single morning. Walt also can't interact with Jimmy, Mike or Gus, otherwise they'd recognize him in Breaking Bad. But perhaps Cranston's chemist walks by in the background of a Better Call Saul season 6 scene, bumping into Jimmy briefly, though not so long either would remember months down the road. Or maybe Walt shares a brief conversation with Kim Wexler/Nacho Varga/another character we don't see in Breaking Bad. Though audiences would likely get a thrill out of seeing Bryan Cranston back playing his iconic Breaking Bad antihero, this style of cameo carries little purpose beyond nostalgia - something Better Call Saul has actively avoided.

The second option is Walter White joining Jimmy McGill during Better Call Saul's Gene timeline. These black-and-white sequences take place following Jimmy's escape from Albuquerque in Breaking Bad, but the exact timeline has been left deliberately vague. Better Call Saul's Gene scenes could, therefore, run simultaneous to Walter White's New Hampshire exile between Breaking Bad season 5's "Granite State" and "Felina." Walt ultimately broke that exile to make a last stand in New Mexico, but did he drop by on "Gene" first? The runaway Heisenberg kept in contact with Ed (the guy who arranges these clandestine getaways), so could've easily discovered where Saul was hiding. The pair could then enjoy(?) one final meeting ahead of Walter White's impending death - a chance for Jimmy to right some wrongs, or Walt to make amends. Think of it as The Book of Walter White meets The Goodmandalorian - a one-episode, galaxy-shaking team-up between Vince Gilligan's two main leads.

The third - and most natural - place for Walter White to cameo in Better Call Saul season 6 comes at the very end of Jimmy's prequel timeline. Exactly where Better Call Saul's story wraps up in relation to Breaking Bad remains to be seen, but for symmetry's sake, Gilligan could finish with the moment Walter White first enters the offices of Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad season 2. That would require a brief cameo from Walt, silently walking into the room as "Mr. Mayhew," incognito in his shades-and-baseball-cap combo. A "bookend" cameo of this ilk would straddle the thin line between subtlety and significance, giving Walter White his moment in Better Call Saul - but only as garnish to Jimmy McGill's journey.

https://screenrant.com/better-call-saul-season-6-walter-white-return/

totally understand this and they could end up ruining the story. but i'm the opposite, the timeline at the end of S5 is walking right into the start of Breaking Bad timeline beginning, so it makes sense to throw in some crossover storylines. if done right, and i think the writers for these two shows are more than capable of it, it could be a few nice a ha lol moments to end it all.

at least until the next spinoff. a Howard story? Kim?
Giancarlo Esposito was recently quoted as saying he’d be up for doing a Gus Fring spinoff.

Kind of like Mike is so old he can barely walk let alone be the tough guys he’s supposed to be going forward.

Salient points (SPOILER ALERT?) for S6 premiere watchers who havent caught up:

- Lalo is on the loose, out for blood. He's wounded, knows that Nacho let the sorriest ninja band ever in the gate.

- for all we know, Nacho is on his own in the Chihuahua wilderness

- between her recent jurisprudal dissonance, love for Jimmy & confrontation w Lalo, Kim has developed an itch in her switch to set up Howard of HHM for a career-exploding scam, not only getting him back for how he's treated our wondercouple, but believing it will trigger a series of events that will get Saul his $2mil share of that ol' peeps lawsuit so she can setup a pro bono superlab.

- that's about it.

Thinking about the Walt/Jesse cameo, didn't Jesse mention Walt failing him in Chemistry (although I can't imagine what Jesse was doing in a Chemistry class, but suspension of disbelief I guess).  Could be as simple as a quick scene in the classroom along with showing Jesse's introduction to drug dealing.  They don't necessarily need to have scenes with Saul.  There are plenty of other little story lines where Saul doesn't figure at all.

Full disclosure: I haven't re-watched the series so my take may be moot.

Thinking about the Walt/Jesse cameo, didn't Jesse mention Walt failing him in Chemistry (although I can't imagine what Jesse was doing in a Chemistry class, but suspension of disbelief I guess).  Could be as simple as a quick scene in the classroom along with showing Jesse's introduction to drug dealing.  They don't necessarily need to have scenes with Saul.  There are plenty of other little story lines where Saul doesn't figure at all.

Full disclosure: I haven't re-watched the series so my take may be moot.

Bob Odenkirk was on Al Franken's podcast (the only one i listen to every wk) this wkend and went on at length about how much he admired how thoroughly the writers wove the end of the BCS story into the established BB story this season, so i'm guessing it may be more substantial than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Odenkirk was on Al Franken's podcast (the only one i listen to every wk) this wkend and went on at length about how much he admired how thoroughly the writers wove the end of the BCS story into the established BB story this season, so i'm guessing it may be more substantial than that.

To "stick the landing" on this show you basically need to resolve Hamlin and Wexler, and Maybe Gene the Cinnabon guy.

Lalo is still alive when Walt and Jessie enter the picture so depending on how far into the BB story they go Lalo either has to disappear (BC he isn't around when Tuco/Tio happens) or he is around and the cousins are sent by Lalo. (or even better, a Lalo spinoff afet the end of walts arc).

What happens to Kim is the Salient point of the series, Just as what happened to Jessie was the biggest part of BB at the end.

Ok. I need some splaining.

Mike cracks the safe to plant the phone number. But he has a change of heart? I'm just a little confused on the Varga storyline

That opening montage was fantastic.  Reminded me of some of the earlier Breaking Bad intros at Walts with the coroner, pool and pink bear before we knew it was a plane crash. 

Ok. I need some splaining.

Mike cracks the safe to plant the phone number. But he has a change of heart? I'm just a little confused on the Varga storyline

And then he won't take his call. It's like Mike is intentionally letting Nacho twist in the wind to see what Gus will do.

Also in the safe, who is the other ID? thought it was Cinnabon Gene at first.

And then he won't take his call. It's like Mike is intentionally letting Nacho twist in the wind to see what Gus will do.

Also in the safe, who is the other ID? thought it was Cinnabon Gene at first.
Mike isn't calling the shots. He's following orders. He disagrees with the orders, and is arguing on Nacho's behalf, but, at the end of the day he does the job he's given. 

Im a ittle surprised Kim ditched the Worlds Best Lawyer cup on top of a trash can. Its probably not significant, just something out of character IMO.

That, and Saul accidentally saying Lalos name. No way would he slip there, IMO.

One question I have - the couple that Lalo visits...the woman gives him coffee and he asks about the goats, etc...the husband who shaves the beard...who are they and why did he kill them (implied)?

Other than that, great episodes.

Im a ittle surprised Kim ditched the Worlds Best Lawyer cup on top of a trash can. Its probably not significant, just something out of character IMO.

That, and Saul accidentally saying Lalos name. No way would he slip there, IMO.

One question I have - the couple that Lalo visits...the woman gives him coffee and he asks about the goats, etc...the husband who shaves the beard...who are they and why did he kill them (implied)?

Other than that, great episodes.
I think he ends up being the "dead body double" for Lalo.   It why he tells him to shave

Users who are viewing this thread