What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (2 Viewers)

Maybe it's just me, but I kind of feel like last year was an outlier for Foster. He was really only good the 3 years prior, not great. And I think Houston's offense all around will be worse than last year.

Lastly, groin injuries tend to linger and/or be re-aggravated. Yeah, he's probably a good risk in the 6th or 7th round, but I'm not all that optimistic on his outluck overall this year.
We're talking about ARIAN Foster, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
SpruceGoose said:
Not sure if this adds anything.

On the CBS fantasy podcast (8/26), Pat Kirwin said that based on his time spent at Houston's spring training, people shouldnt expect much from Foster. Said he got the feeling ownership was done w/ him because of how often he's injured...and that they like Blue.

He felt they were moving on.

Take from that what you want :popcorn:
I heard him in NFL Radio talking about Foster. It was very clear that he was referring to 2016......that he doesn't see Foster back in Houston next year.
This is what I'm thinking. I think when he comes back, if the Texans have a shot in hell still of making the playoffs, they will ride him like an rb has never been ridden before. They will pile onto his back and let him beast mode them all the way or let him break for good.

Maybe it's just me, but I kind of feel like last year was an outlier for Foster. He was really only good the 3 years prior, not great. And I think Houston's offense all around will be worse than last year.
Absolutely. The RB with the most fantasy points for the past 5 years, along with being number 2 in PPG really was only good.

Absolutely. The RB with the most fantasy points for the past 5 years, along with being number 2 in PPG really was only good.
Average yards and TDs per game:

2014- 121 and 1

2013- 90 and 0.25

2012- 102 and 1 TD

2011- 141 and 0.9 TD

2010- 138 and 1.1 TD

You think 2014 was the outlier, I am thinking 2013 was the outlier.

2014- 121 and 1

2013- 90 and 0.25

2012- 102 and 1 TD

2011- 141 and 0.9 TD

2010- 138 and 1.1 TD

He's been the beneficiary of a huge number of carries several times along with a number of TDs that he likely won't duplicate. His per touch production was good from 2011-2013, but not outstanding.

2014- 121 and 1

2013- 90 and 0.25

2012- 102 and 1 TD

2011- 141 and 0.9 TD

2010- 138 and 1.1 TD

He's been the beneficiary of a huge number of carries several times along with a number of TDs that he likely won't duplicate. His per touch production was good from 2011-2013, but not outstanding.
I don't play in yards per touch fantasy leagues.

SpruceGoose said:

On the CBS fantasy podcast (8/26), Pat Kirwin said that based on his time spent at Houston's spring training, people shouldnt expect much from Foster. Said he got the feeling ownership was done w/ him because of how often he's injured...and that they like Blue.

I heard him in NFL Radio talking about Foster. It was very clear that he was referring to 2016......that he doesn't see Foster back in Houston next year.
no he literally said he would avoid him this year.

SpruceGoose said:

To be fair, he admitted he didn't understand how fantasy works. The CBS fantasy guys were just talking about another injured player (maybe Gurley, can't recall exactly) and they felt he was was overvalued because he might miss a couple weeks. Kirwin referenced that by saying well if you are staying away from him, Foster could miss 6 weeks so you no way you want him. Kirwin just doesn't understand fantasy football.

If you are drafting him this year in redraft ppr, what round to you pull the trigger assuming you are still a believer?

SpruceGoose said:

To be fair, he admitted he didn't understand how fantasy works. The CBS fantasy guys were just talking about another injured player (maybe Gurley, can't recall exactly) and they felt he was was overvalued because he might miss a couple weeks. Kirwin referenced that by saying well if you are staying away from him, Foster could miss 6 weeks so you no way you want him. Kirwin just doesn't understand fantasy football.
Exactly

Foster's ADP for 12-team standard (non-ppr) leagues (per Fantasyfootballcalculator):

DATE: ADP:
Aug. 25 6.04
Aug. 26 6.02
Aug. 27 5.10
Aug. 28 5.07
Aug. 29 5.04 (so far...thru 1:38 pm eastern)

Today's most viewed players on CBS fantasy. Not sure what to make of this, but it's interesting.

PLAYER NAME: NUMBER OF VIEWS TODAY:
Arian Foster 15,899
Adrian Peterson 14,931
Devonta Freeman 13,029
Todd Gurley 12,364
T.J. Yeldon 12,243
Ameer Abdullah 12,063
Melvin Gordon 11,803
Le'Veon Bell 11,679
Eddie Lacy 11,017
Joseph Randle 10,966
Latavius Murray 10,772
Tevin Coleman 10,756
Joique Bell 10,455
Jamaal Charles 10,391
Doug Martin 10,362
LeSean McCoy 10,258
Davante Adams 10,151
Andre Ellington 10,111

It boils down to this. If you don't think you can make the fantasy playoffs without whoever that 5th-6th round pick would otherwise be, avoid him.

But if you are confident you're a playoff team go for it. For me, I'm interested in what he can do for me weeks 14-16, not his season-long average or whether he returns week 2 or 4 or 6..

For just a point of reference. In my brothers semi big money league ($300 entree) Foster went 5.03.

The hype for one obscure unsourced report is just nuts.

I think it bears repeating that the initial reports of Foster's injury may have been quite misleading.

We were "told" the "groin muscle came off the bone" and he needed surgery. The usual recovery for this would be months.

HOWEVER, we are now told the timeline for return is accelerated, at least compared to these initial reports. Which in my mind brings the initial reports into question.

I did a little Google search and it turns out there is an early Houston Chronicle report which suggest this groin injury "requiring surgery" was in fact a "sports hernia". Since we are now being told his return is possibly much earlier, I think the evidence now (at least as far as it is being reported) suggests this is the more likely injury. As such, the timeline for return is quite believable.

Importantly, there is a wide gulf between the two injuries and timelines. It would really not be possible for him to return from a true acute tear requiring surgery in such a short time. If any of the reports of relatively short term recovery are near accurate, he almost certainly had a "sports hernia".

Just a semi educated guess from a non-orthopedic, non-general, thoracic surgeon. Which is why I drafted him in round 5!

I think it bears repeating that the initial reports of Foster's injury may have been quite misleading.

We were "told" the "groin muscle came off the bone" and he needed surgery. The usual recovery for this would be months.

HOWEVER, we are now told the timeline for return is accelerated, at least compared to these initial reports. Which in my mind brings the initial reports into question.

I did a little Google search and it turns out there is an early Houston Chronicle report which suggest this groin injury "requiring surgery" was in fact a "sports hernia". Since we are now being told his return is possibly much earlier, I think the evidence now (at least as far as it is being reported) suggests this is the more likely injury. As such, the timeline for return is quite believable.

Importantly, there is a wide gulf between the two injuries and timelines. It would really not be possible for him to return from a true acute tear requiring surgery in such a short time. If any of the reports of relatively short term recovery are near accurate, he almost certainly had a "sports hernia".

Just a semi educated guess from a non-orthopedic, non-general, thoracic surgeon. Which is why I drafted him in round 5!
The initial reports on these guys are nothing more than guesses most of the time.

Reports come out before MRIs and other exams are done. I mean, WAT??

If you are drafting him this year in redraft ppr, what round to you pull the trigger assuming you are still a believer?
12 team? 5th-6th is where you need to strike.
Yes 12 team ppr
Got him rd 8 in 12 tm ppr...at that point felt the downside was priced in fairly.....personally would have a hard time taking him b4 that point.
took him today in the 5th rd after getting C.Charles and L.Miller before him

BustedKnuckles said:
Yes 12 team ppr
Got him rd 8 in 12 tm ppr...at that point felt the downside was priced in fairly.....personally would have a hard time taking him b4 that point.
How early in the 5th?

Moving on in what manner? Trading him? Seriously, if he's healthy they're going to like sit him on the bench or something because they are tired of him being injured...ha ha! "Gee, sorry Arian......we know you're the best back we have by far and if we stuck you in there you'd kick freakin' butt and take names...but we're just done with you, so we'll keep you on the roster and pay you $6 mil to sit on the bench and we'll stick that raggedy-### Alfred Blue out there instead because the most important thing isn't winning, it's proving a point and that point is.......we're just done with you".

Ha ha...good freakin' grief :rolleyes:

Moving on in what manner? Trading him? Seriously, if he's healthy they're going to like sit him on the bench or something because they are tired of him being injured...ha ha! "Gee, sorry Arian......we know you're the best back we have by far and if we stuck you in there you'd kick freakin' butt and take names...but we're just done with you, so we'll keep you on the roster and pay you $6 mil to sit on the bench and we'll stick that raggedy-### Alfred Blue out there instead because the most important thing isn't winning, it's proving a point and that point is.......we're just done with you".

Ha ha...good freakin' grief :rolleyes:
Gotta love it. They hate how he is injured, so they remedy that by just benching him. Hilarious.

Foster's ADP for 12-team standard (non-ppr) leagues per Fantasyfootballcalculator...still on the rise.

DATE: ADP:
Aug. 25 6.04
Aug. 26 6.02
Aug. 27 5.10
Aug. 28 5.07
Aug. 29 5.04
Aug. 30 4.12!!!

I think that is based entirely on mock drafts. Anyone know where to find data like that for actual drafts?

For all 754 actual drafts since 8/25, Foster's ADP at MFL is pick 63 overall as RB 25. He was going at pick 71 two days earlier.

You know what will cure them of that? Letting Blue be the starter for awhile.

Seriously though, I think Foster is going to be motivated to come back and be stellar. Because he's very easy to cut after this season with a big cap savings. Foster stands to lose a big chunk of salary for 2016 that I don't imagine he comes close to making back in a free agent contract somewhere else.
This

BustedKnuckles said:
Yes 12 team ppr
How early in the 5th?
well i was picking 4th overall ...i grabbed charles then miller then B.Cooks then Big Ben ( QB`s get 6 points td`s) then Foster on the turn around ...so early in the 5th

I got him at 6.01, as an RB3....but we drafted really early this year (8/16). I took him as a potential playoff push, ADP and Hyde are my other backs. Would love to see a studly Foster beasting with either of those guys.

I took him at #62 over-all = 24th RB off the board.

18 team survivor league (1 team eliminated each week of the 17 week season).

Standard yardage/TD league, non-PPR. Only 3 bench spots. No trades/waivers. Draft and done.

Don't make bad choices. ;)

Am I the only one who doesn't care what round:pick he went at in anyone elses draft? That info offers very little to help anyone not in your leagues. Tell me where he went off the board among RBs. Was he RB 20? 15? 35? That would actually be useful info that others can apply to their draft(s).

Am I the only one who doesn't care what round:pick he went at in anyone elses draft? That info offers very little to help anyone not in your leagues. Tell me where he went off the board among RBs. Was he RB 20? 15? 35? That would actually be useful info that others can apply to their draft(s).
Both pieces of information are useful, imo. I like to know how he falls in the RB rankings, but draft position gives a sense of where a player falls in relation to other positions as well.

Went in the 5th of 12 team PPR

A 6th might to be easy because you can draft 2 RBs and 3 WRs so you aren't really losing anything if you wait on TE and QB. In my draft, there were barely any solid RBs to consider over Foster if you go another RB. Some were taken in the 5th.

You don't have to go for a WR because you can grab another one later for your WR 4/Flex and is deeper than RB.

Both pieces of information are useful, imo. I like to know how he falls in the RB rankings, but draft position gives a sense of where a player falls in relation to other positions as well.
Not really. Every league is different. For example, off the top of my head: PPR vs non-PPR, 6pt pass TD vs 4 pt pass TD, TD heavy vs yardage heavy, no flex vs flex vs super flex vs start 2 QB, TE or TE+WR, small roster vs large roster (medium roster, huge roster), I vs no-IR (taxi squad anyone?) etc. etc. etc. Too many variables in scoring to make the round:pick info useful. Where a player goes among others at his position can be applied to all leagues whereas round:pick is highly (extremely highly) subjective.

Not really.Every league is different. For example, off the top of my head: PPR vs non-PPR, 6pt pass TD vs 4 pt pass TD, TD heavy vs yardage heavy, no flex vs flex vs super flex vs start 2 QB, TE or TE+WR, small roster vs large roster (medium roster, huge roster), I vs no-IR (taxi squad anyone?) etc. etc. etc. Too many variables in scoring to make the round:pick info useful. Where a player goes among others at his position can be applied to all leagues whereas round:pick is highly (extremely highly) subjective.
I disagree on both counts.

As long as the poster has given some of those specs for the league, that information can be accounted for. On the flip side, those rules influence position rankings too.

PPR certainly rearranges the RB ranks and WR ranks as much or more than it does the draft position of players.

Not really.Every league is different. For example, off the top of my head: PPR vs non-PPR, 6pt pass TD vs 4 pt pass TD, TD heavy vs yardage heavy, no flex vs flex vs super flex vs start 2 QB, TE or TE+WR, small roster vs large roster (medium roster, huge roster), I vs no-IR (taxi squad anyone?) etc. etc. etc. Too many variables in scoring to make the round:pick info useful. Where a player goes among others at his position can be applied to all leagues whereas round:pick is highly (extremely highly) subjective.
I disagree on both counts. As long as the poster has given some of those specs for the league, that information can be accounted for. On the flip side, those rules influence position rankings too.

PPR certainly rearranges the RB ranks and WR ranks as much or more than it does the draft position of players.
Good point but there are far more variables that support my position than yours. The data that you suggest people provide (when most don't) help more with rankings than round:pick.Round:pick is effectively useless.

Agreed. A league that draft more QBs early shoves RBs back some. Some leagues hammer RBs through RB26-30 or so and then lay off for a couple of rds. If you play enough in the same league and want to track what has happened - and expect to happen, then ALL YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT IS THE ORDER OF POSITION.

Chaka is just asking to expand the description ...not looking for an argument about why he should care as much about what rd it was in your draft.

Weird argument
I'M TRYING TO FIX A GLITCH IN THE MATRIX!!!
I hope you fix it. I can not even imagine what kind of scoring system the below from here applies to. These guys drive me ####### nutz:

Arian Foster, RB, TexansFoster was more of a bust than anything else when training camp started based on the likelihood he would get hurt. Low and behold, at the onset of camp, Foster suffered a groin injury that required surgery. And now we head into the third weekend of preseason action without an idea of when he will return, with initial reports saying he would be placed on short-term injured reserve, which would force him to miss the first eight games of the season. This week, a report in the Houston Chronicle said Foster could potentially return by the end of September in a "best-case scenario," and he's trending in the right direction. If you can get Foster in Round 8 based on his ADP then that's amazing value, especially if he misses just two or three games. Even if he's out for eight games I'd still gamble on him in Round 8 because when healthy he's among the best running backs in all leagues. His value has fallen to a spot where he's potentially the steal of the draft.

ADP: No. 89 overall

I'd draft him ahead of: Todd Gurley, Giovani Bernard and Tevin Coleman

He was RB 27 in my league...RB just before him were Yeldon, Blount,and Abdullah...after him were Martin, Crowell, Mason, and Jennings

He just went at 4.11 in my draft tonight (1 player keeper). Unfortunately, I passed on him at 4.09 for Dre Johnson, thinking I could snag him at the 4/5 turn.

90% of the guys in my league are from Houston, FWIW. Good luck for those targeting him.

Its tough because if you are in those tournaments you might end up needing Foster to finish high. There will be people that have Foster. Some people are playing to finish high so it is worth taking the risk. At 6th it is a no brainer but 5th you may have to pass on a stud like Brandon Marshall or even other legit RB 2 like a Morris or a CJ Spiller.

12 man PPR league, start 2RB, 2WR, 1 flex

He went at 5.11 (RB#22). I took Gurley at 5.10. The guy going 5.12 was pissed because he was going to take him. Jonathan Stewart went next after foster.

12 man PPR league, start 2RB, 2WR, 1 flex

He went at 5.11 (RB#22). I took Gurley at 5.10. The guy going 5.12 was pissed because he was going to take him. Jonathan Stewart went next after foster.
wow...that seems very late for jonathan stewart and foster. I would personally have taken both foster and stewart over gurley--but I'm most likely in the minority here. I personally see gurley probably missing close to the same time or possibly more time than foster so I see no reason to draft him over foster in redraft formats.

Its tough because if you are in those tournaments you might end up needing Foster to finish high. There will be people that have Foster. Some people are playing to finish high so it is worth taking the risk. At 6th it is a no brainer but 5th you may have to pass on a stud like Brandon Marshall or even other legit RB 2 like a Morris or a CJ Spiller.
I'm not saying that Marshall will be bad this season---but to call him a "stud" on his current team with his current qb situation seems very premature. I'm not sure if drafting marshall in the 4th or 5th is less of a gamble than taking Foster. With that being said--I do think that your overall point is understood.

Users who are viewing this thread