What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (2 Viewers)

BOB calls Houston running game "too inconsistent"

“Running the ball in this league is very difficult, it really is,” Texans coach Bill O’Brien said. “I think our running game, at times, has been decent, but it’s too inconsistent. Hopefully, you’ll see some improvement on Thursday in the Dallas game. I think there have been times where we see glimpses of what it can be, but we’ve got to be a lot more consistent.”

Foster remains out and slated to miss at least a portion of the regular season. Foster’s medical outlook is promising, according to sources with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak publicly, and he could return by late September to early October.

“Obviously, losing Arian was tough,” O’Brien said. “You don’t replace Arian. Hopefully he’ll be back sooner rather than later. He’s working very hard to get back.”

Got him in the 7th tonight. From the 6 spot. Cuffed blue in round 12.

Pretty happy with it. Even if he comes back in mid season if he comes back healthy it's a RB1 shot in the arm for owners.
Foster falling to 7.06 seems inconsistent with what some other posters have said here. Was this ppr or no? 6 pt passing TDs? Why do you think he fell so far...anything quirky about your particular league?

I would not draft Arian Foster with a top 50 pick. He was such a big injury risk before this latest setback, and that certainly won't change after it. Is he really a lock to be the same player he was? You can still find many good starters up to the 5th round.

Football is a tough sport and certainly anyone can get hurt. But I try to mitigate the risk by staying away from injury-prone players. I think you're asking for trouble if you draft him as one of your main RB options.
Like you said, ANYONE can get hurt. SO, since we agree on that, you're telling me that the guys that ARE in the top 50 that you would take (but wouldn't consider Foster in that range) are guys like:

J. Randle

J. Stewart

A. Morris

F. Gore

A. Johnson

J. Edleman

Once you get past the top 25-30 no brainer players, that group that you like better than risking a pick on Foster is weak in trying to convince ourselves not to go with Foster. They all have their own medical and other concerns. The group after the top 50 is even worse

J. Bell

Ivory

Gio

Spiller

Blount

I just see no reason when you look at what is available to not choose Foster without hesitating. If you want to branch out and look at Wrs, etc, it's still a very limited ceiling compared to Foster. There is NOBODY in that range that I couldn't draft today, cut tomorrow, and still have basically the same team. But Foster could take me into the playoffs all by himself drafted at that spot.

It's real simple. One of two things is going to happen this year (and keep in mind despite the overwhelming mindset that Foster is ALWAYS hurt, he played in 13 games last year, was a top 5 F RB, and was #1RB overall in ppg), Either Foster will be a non-factor and be hurt OR Foster, taken in the 5th and beyond will be THE SINGLE BIGGEST difference maker in ff teams this year.

I got him 5.6 in a 12 team PPR league. I got multiple comments after that pick that we was the next persons target. I think early to mid 5th is where you need to grab him. If you have a late 5th pick you are probably screwed because early 4th is to early to grab him

Hard to know the relevance of his rise in MOCK ADP at all without knowing how the site ranks him.

If the site has steadily increased his ranking, then it would be obvious his ADP would rise since so many idiots do those and then leave after round 2, allowing the site to auto pick.

I took him in the 5th round 2 nights back in my local draft and everyone went "ah"....they all wanted to take him in that round. Everyone knows that this guy could be the single player who could win you a league as the flex on your team.

I offered the current owner a conditional 2016 draft pick for Foster dependent on how he finishes in overall RB standings end of year.

It's a keeper league where Foster would have been a first round or high second had he been fully healthy. The conditional pick ranges from 2016 2nd round to 5th round, but the owner is convinved he can do better after Foster returns. I thought it was a fair bargain but so far no go.

12 team non-PPR standard lineup (1/2/3/1/1/1) got him at 5.11.

Nearly tried to trade up to get him earlier. Glad he lasted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got him for 5% of my cap in a 12 team non-ppr auction (redraft). Not sure what they equates to in draft pick terms. Most had very little cash when he was nominated.

I got him for 5% of my cap in a 12 team non-ppr auction (redraft). Not sure what they equates to in draft pick terms. Most had very little cash when he was nominated.
I got him for 10% - PPR - only difference is you can keep players for 10% fee - so he will cost 11% next year. Good backs go for 25%+

Good for you, though RBs in this tier might be expected to fall further in 3 WR leagues than leagues that start 2 WRs and one flex. How many RBs were taken before him?

ETA: 6 pts per passing TD or 4?

Good for you, though RBs in this tier might be expected to fall further in 3 WR leagues than leagues that start 2 WRs and one flex. How many RBs were taken before him?

6 pt TDs. Foster was 22nd RB taken. Guy with the back to back picks at the turn took 2 RBs and said he was thinking about Foster but probably wouldn't have taken him.

Just checked, looks like ADP in 12 team MFL real drafts since the 25th, his ADP is 6.02 and 25th RB off the board. So about right where I got him but for taking him with my 5.11 instead of the 6.02. Went WR with the other pick so got the same pair of players either way.

Glimpse of him on Hard Knocks last night. Apparently he is interviewed in the final episode.
They showed him rehabbing and in the interview he said something along the lines of "If I think I'm done I won't play anymore.". He clearly think he still has what it takes.

Foster is IMO, the best RB in the league next to Bell from a talent perspective. He has it all, patience, vision, burst, good hands etc. etc. I was more than happy to take the "risk" last year and grab him in the 3rd in my biggest money league and it obviously paid off. That being said, I think those taking him in the 3rd/4th this year are insane. I'd also personally fade him in the 5th/6th but clearly understand why some are grabbing him. I just believe the chances of it being a completely wasted pick based off his past injury history are too high. I'm not usually risk averse but in this situation I am.

Glimpse of him on Hard Knocks last night. Apparently he is interviewed in the final episode.
They showed him rehabbing and in the interview he said something along the lines of "If I think I'm done I won't play anymore.". He clearly think he still has what it takes.

Foster is IMO, the best RB in the league next to Bell from a talent perspective. He has it all, patience, vision, burst, good hands etc. etc. I was more than happy to take the "risk" last year and grab him in the 3rd in my biggest money league and it obviously paid off. That being said, I think those taking him in the 3rd/4th this year are insane. I'd also personally fade him in the 5th/6th but clearly understand why some are grabbing him. I just believe the chances of it being a completely wasted pick based off his past injury history are too high. I'm not usually risk averse but in this situation I am.
I heard him say when he's ready, he will play.Double checked, the direct quote from the preview was, "as soon as I can play, I will."

6 pt TDs. Foster was 22nd RB taken. Guy with the back to back picks at the turn took 2 RBs and said he was thinking about Foster but probably wouldn't have taken him.

Just checked, looks like ADP in 12 team MFL real drafts since the 25th, his ADP is 6.02 and 25th RB off the board. So about right where I got him but for taking him with my 5.11 instead of the 6.02. Went WR with the other pick so got the same pair of players either way.
I've been watching the ADP on MFL, too. I wish they had a way to query specific dates, or to weight it more heavily toward recent drafts, or graph a player's ADP it over time. FF calculator is a good tool functionality-wise, but I don't have that much confidence in their underlying data.

Good for you, though RBs in this tier might be expected to fall further in 3 WR leagues than leagues that start 2 WRs and one flex. How many RBs were taken before him? ETA: 6 pts per passing TD or 4?

I've been watching the ADP on MFL, too. I wish they had a way to query specific dates, or to weight it more heavily toward recent drafts, or graph a player's ADP it over time. FF calculator is a good tool functionality-wise, but I don't have that much confidence in their underlying data.
They do

Got him at 7.05 in a live draft after periodically spamming injury concerns about his groin being separated from the bone to the group all draft. All is fair in love and FF...

Jeremy said:
My off the cuff math has that as 6th roundish. I want foster in my auction, but not sure when to nominate him. If early nomination does his price go up since people have cash still? Or do they pass on him to save cash for more sure things. If nominate late does someone who is weak at rb overpay since foster likely the only rb that can save their rb issues?

Jsaraka1 said:
Got him at 7.05 in a live draft after periodically spamming injury concerns about his groin being separated from the bone to the group all draft. All is fair in love and FF...
Usually if someone is saying that stuff, I know what they are doing

Sweetness_34 said:
I took him in the 5th round 2 nights back in my local draft and everyone went "ah"....they all wanted to take him in that round. Everyone knows that this guy could be the single player who could win you a league as the flex on your team.
got him at the 4/5 turn and same thing happened to me. Lots of damn, he was my next pick. RB 21 taken with keepers factored in

VandyMan said:
rickyg said:
Got him in the 7th tonight. From the 6 spot. Cuffed blue in round 12.

Pretty happy with it. Even if he comes back in mid season if he comes back healthy it's a RB1 shot in the arm for owners.
Foster falling to 7.06 seems inconsistent with what some other posters have said here. Was this ppr or no? 6 pt passing TDs? Why do you think he fell so far...anything quirky about your particular league?
5 puts passing Tds. RBS are valued in this league. I think the injury just had people shying away. He's got an injury prone tag and a groin injury that needed surgery. Or so people think. Was it a groin or a sports hernia? Hearing conflicting reports.

It's a 12 team standard scoring no ppr. Fairly savvy owners.

Anyway I was shocked and happy to see him sitting there in the 7th and couldn't pass him up. Even though I also view him as injury prone it worked out BC I got blue in the 12th. So hopefully foster can slide rt into my RB2 spot behind Ingram in October and be the rb1 he's been when he's healthy and on the field.

Good luck guys!

in my redraft std scoring 12 team auction he went for 12.5% of the budget and was rb17 as ranked by $$ spent.... was nominated towards the middle of the auction

I took Foster at 7.5 in a 12 team non PPR. He was RB #28 off the board. Yahoo had him ranked in the 90's so I probably could have waited a round to get him. The group I draft with rarely take someone more than 10 spots away from where they are ranked with yahoo. It is also a IDP, so a few studs at defense pushed him down a little farther as well.

I took Foster at 7.5 in a 12 team non PPR. He was RB #28 off the board. Yahoo had him ranked in the 90's so I probably could have waited a round to get him. The group I draft with rarely take someone more than 10 spots away from where they are ranked with yahoo. It is also a IDP, so a few studs at defense pushed him down a little farther as well.
So the group you draft with consider yahoo rankings to be gospel. I would consider that to be a guppy league.

Picked 12th. Took him at 4.1. Just one of those guys that I want on all my fantasy teams, so had to reach at the 3/4 turn.
It won't be a reach if he can end up producing Top 5-10 in PPG at RB for the latter half of the season or more.
I completely agree, which is why I took him there. It will look stupid if he doesn't come back at all, or comes back and gets injured. But as they say, that's how baseball go.

You're right in the correct range. He's been sitting at ADP of RB 25 all over the place for the last week. You got the good side of the value there I think.

I got him in a Yahoo draft yesterday as well at a very similar spot, the 7/8 turn. Took him at RB30, immediately after Blount and just before Joique Bell. I almost took him at 5/6, but decided to gamble given that I knew this was a pretty risk averse group and we looked to be heading into a QB/TE run. Yahoo having him ranked in the 90s almost certainly helped.I gave Arian up in a keeper league this year after having him since 2010--he was going to cost a second rounder, and the draft was back when it looked like he'd be out at least 8 weeks. I missed getting him back by one pick in that draft so getting him here eased that misfire a little.

Guys who are just printing out the rankings without doing the research have no idea he is planning on coming back within the first 4 - 5 weeks. I think many people are under the impression that this is a 10 - 12 week deal. That probably changes this weekend as word leaks around and yahoo/espn projections catch up to websites like fbg.

So the group you draft with consider yahoo rankings to be gospel. I would consider that to be a guppy league.
This is very much a guppy league....It's a group of friends who have been together for about 20 years....we started on Sandbox (anyone remember those stupid drafts?) Only a couple people spend more than an hour pre-draft doing research. We then get together on Sunday's, eat breakfast (west coast) for the morning games and drink beer and roast brats in the afternoon. It's a pretty nice little Sunday (Must be said like Frank the Tank).

This is very much a guppy league....It's a group of friends who have been together for about 20 years....we started on Sandbox (anyone remember those stupid drafts?) Only a couple people spend more than an hour pre-draft doing research. We then get together on Sunday's, eat breakfast (west coast) for the morning games and drink beer and roast brats in the afternoon. It's a pretty nice little Sunday (Must be said like Frank the Tank).
I started playing on sandbox as well.

I miss one format they had. It was 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE and 3 flex RB/WR/TE. Then there were 3 IDP and your choice of position affected your opponent's scoring. Each DL you started caused your opponent to get a -10% on his RB scoring but a +10% on his WR. Each DB gave opponent RBs a +10% but WRs got a -10%. And LBs were no adjustment.

Since there were 3 flex you could potentially impact 4 of his players negatively if he started all the flex at one position. Made for an interesting wrinkle.

I don't think I'd draft him until my starters at RB and WR were set, but around the 6th round he likely offers more upside than comparatively anyone else.

Sounds like I hurt my shoulder reaching for Arian.

Took him 3rd round (9/12), so 33 overall.

The guy I was gonna take (J Matthews) slipped to my 4th round pick so it didn't really matter.

The other RBs going around him were M Gordon, Ellington, Ivory.

On a PPG basis, if he plays 10 games this year, I think I made out ok.

Users who are viewing this thread