What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (2 Viewers)

I disagree. Foster going into the season healthy would still be back of the first round early second material because he tends to get hurt or worse, flirts with GTD and puts his owners in a bind. Now you have the situation where he started the season hurt, and worse, it is a groin injury (something that tends to linger). So the overreaction (taking him down to the 7th round) was probably spot on in the idea that he became a better version of the late round handcuff who can explode (Ryan mathews et al). Now he looks like he will be gone about the same amount of time as Lev bell (maybe a game or two more) but, unlike bell, he is still a back who has hammy and groin issues and who seemed to be on the injury report every week last year.

That makes him a RB#2 who you better have another option for. Somewhere in the 5s is about right at this point. I am picking 12th in a league tomorrow and have to decide do I want him at 4.01 or am I essentially not getting him. Don't see him getting to 5.12.
I'm in the same camp. I can't imagine spending serious draft capital on Foster coming off groin surgery when I could be using it on players I plan to lean on week in, week out. Foster is one of the best RBs in the league, no doubt, but when his biggest red flag is already being waved I'll largely pass..even in the 5th. I think the market reaction has been appropriate.
I get what you are saying, but what players at 42 do you think will really be more impactful? Especially at RB?

RBs

Melvin Gordon (maybe)

Latavius Murray

Carlos Hyde

Andre Ellington

Jonathan Stewart

Joseph Randle

WRs

Andre Johnson

Amari Cooper

Julian Edelman

Golden Tate

Keenan Allen

DeSean Jackson

Jeremy Maclin

Sammy Watkins

TE

Greg Olsen

Travis Kelce

QB

Roethlisberger

Ryan

Romo

Brady

There are a few guys (especially Allen and the TEs, and possibly Ellington). It also depends on what you want to do at QB.

I think that the exact draft spot that you have will play a role in the strategy. My belief is that at pick 19 (and leagues will vary), that the top 9 RBs will be gone. I don't feel great about McCoy, Forsett or Miller, at least not better than I do about Calvin Johnson or AJ Green, who I think could be there. There there is what I would call the second tier of the top WRs, with Cobb and Hilton headlining. If I can get one of them at 22, then I would still rather do that than McCoy, Forsett or Miller. So I would ideally grab an RB at pick 2, and 2 WRs at 19 and 22. (If any of the top 9 RBs slid, then I would have to make a different decision.)

Then coming back at 39 and 42, I think that I want Olsen, and at that point, I think that I am just as happy to try to take my chances with Ivory, Martin, Blount, Crowell at 59/62, and cobble together the first few weeks at RB2 with any of them, plus maybe DeAngelo and Alfred Blue snapped up later.

I disagree. Foster going into the season healthy would still be back of the first round early second material because he tends to get hurt or worse, flirts with GTD and puts his owners in a bind. Now you have the situation where he started the season hurt, and worse, it is a groin injury (something that tends to linger). So the overreaction (taking him down to the 7th round) was probably spot on in the idea that he became a better version of the late round handcuff who can explode (Ryan mathews et al). Now he looks like he will be gone about the same amount of time as Lev bell (maybe a game or two more) but, unlike bell, he is still a back who has hammy and groin issues and who seemed to be on the injury report every week last year.

That makes him a RB#2 who you better have another option for. Somewhere in the 5s is about right at this point. I am picking 12th in a league tomorrow and have to decide do I want him at 4.01 or am I essentially not getting him. Don't see him getting to 5.12.
I'm in the same camp. I can't imagine spending serious draft capital on Foster coming off groin surgery when I could be using it on players I plan to lean on week in, week out. Foster is one of the best RBs in the league, no doubt, but when his biggest red flag is already being waved I'll largely pass..even in the 5th. I think the market reaction has been appropriate.
I get what you are saying, but what players at 42 do you think will really be more impactful? Especially at RB?

RBs

Melvin Gordon (maybe)

Latavius Murray

Carlos Hyde

Andre Ellington

Jonathan Stewart

Joseph Randle

WRs

Andre Johnson

Amari Cooper

Julian Edelman

Golden Tate

Keenan Allen

DeSean Jackson

Jeremy Maclin

Sammy Watkins

TE

Greg Olsen

Travis Kelce

QB

Roethlisberger

Ryan

Romo

Brady

There are a few guys (especially Allen and the TEs, and possibly Ellington). It also depends on what you want to do at QB.

I think that the exact draft spot that you have will play a role in the strategy. My belief is that at pick 19 (and leagues will vary), that the top 9 RBs will be gone. I don't feel great about McCoy, Forsett or Miller, at least not better than I do about Calvin Johnson or AJ Green, who I think could be there. There there is what I would call the second tier of the top WRs, with Cobb and Hilton headlining. If I can get one of them at 22, then I would still rather do that than McCoy, Forsett or Miller. So I would ideally grab an RB at pick 2, and 2 WRs at 19 and 22. (If any of the top 9 RBs slid, then I would have to make a different decision.)

Then coming back at 39 and 42, I think that I want Olsen, and at that point, I think that I am just as happy to try to take my chances with Ivory, Martin, Blount, Crowell at 59/62, and cobble together the first few weeks at RB2 with any of them, plus maybe DeAngelo and Alfred Blue snapped up later.
It's interesting, because even the players in which I'm personally shying away from at their ADP (Ellington, Gordon, Randle, Hyde, AJ, Tate, Allen, DJax, all QBs before rounds 6-7) I may still be willing to take them over Foster (likely not a QB). Seriously, I don't know if I'm just a huge pessimist but I can't fathom how Foster coming off groin surgery is "huge value" in the 4th.

Last year I took him in the 3rd as my RB1 and was still wary as he was struggling with a hamstring injury in camp leading up to the season. Sub out a progressing hamstring injury with groin surgery and he completely falls off my radar.

Draft position aside, if you can draft Foster as depth I'm all for it but there's no way I'm willing to risk positional strength in hopes he overcomes his umpteenth lower body, soft tissue injury at the age of 29 years old. I just feel like the people investing heavily in him are blind to the fact that he's not a lock to return to form this year.

RBs

Melvin Gordon (maybe)

Latavius Murray

Carlos Hyde

Andre Ellington

Jonathan Stewart

Joseph Randle

Million dollar question right there.

Drafting in a 10 team from the 10 spot tomorrow night. I'll grab him on the 5-6 turn, but no earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shefter taps the brakes:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5469/arian-foster

Report: Foster 'could' return in four weeks

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Arian Foster (groin surgery) "could" return in four weeks, but that he may be sidelined "six or more."

Coach Bill O'Brien provided a non-update on Foster's status Monday. Returning in a month would have Foster missing four games, and quite possibly five. Houston's Thursday night tilt in Week 5 is 31 days from today. There have been some recent rosy assessments of Foster's timeline, but it's now trending the other way. Week 6/October 18 could be Foster's most realistic return date.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Sep 7 - 5:24 PM

Shefter taps the brakes:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Arian Foster (groin surgery) "could" return in four weeks, but that he may be sidelined "six or more."

Coach Bill O'Brien provided a non-update on Foster's status Monday. Returning in a month would have Foster missing four games, and quite possibly five. Houston's Thursday night tilt in Week 5 is 31 days from today. There have been some recent rosy assessments of Foster's timeline, but it's now trending the other way. Week 6/October 18 could be Foster's most realistic return date.

1. Coach Bill O'Brien provided a non-update on Foster's status Monday.

2. Source: Adam Schefter

nuff said

Shefter taps the brakes:

1. Coach Bill O'Brien provided a non-update on Foster's status Monday.

2. Source: Adam Schefter

nuff said
i hope this news spreads like wildfire ...im drafting tuesday night

Shefter taps the brakes:http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5469/arian-foster

1. Coach Bill O'Brien provided a non-update on Foster's status Monday.2. Source: Adam Schefter

nuff said
i hope this news spreads like wildfire ...im drafting tuesday night
Still a steal in the 4th round if he returns week 6

The real news that Schefter tweeted was that Foster passed his physical which meant he couldn't be put on the PUP.

How does he pass his physical if he is unable to play for 4+ weeks? Makes no sense to me unless he's really fully healthy and just waiting to be in game shape. In which case 2 weeks seems much more likely than 4+.

just traded for him and only gave up doug martin. Just have to go through this appeal process the next 24hrs but it should through. Couldn't be happier to get him.

The real news that Schefter tweeted was that Foster passed his physical which meant he couldn't be put on the PUP.

How does he pass his physical if he is unable to play for 4+ weeks? Makes no sense to me unless he's really fully healthy and just waiting to be in game shape. In which case 2 weeks seems much more likely than 4+.
What exactly is involved in a physical i just tried looking it up but couldn't find anything.

Just my :blackdot: for the thread, but I took him at 6.5 in a 10 team redraft on Saturday. Martin, Yeldon, and Randle went after him. Pretty happy with that, have Lynch and Ivory holding down the fort. Let's ride him to a championship in the second half. :thumbup:

Just my :blackdot: for the thread, but I took him at 6.5 in a 10 team redraft on Saturday. Martin, Yeldon, and Randle went after him. Pretty happy with that, have Lynch and Ivory holding down the fort. Let's ride him to a championship in the second half. :thumbup:
Foster went the pick before me in a 12team ppr redraft yesterday at the 4-5 turn. "i was the 1st overall pick" So i got martin at 5.1 and foster went 4.11 which I'm basically trading picks with the guy. I have AP and crowell for now as starters. Hoping for the best :banned:

elbowrm said:
Shefter taps the brakes:

Either he's alive or he's dead, or the cops got him... or they don't.

Schefty covering all angles: Being that Arian Foster passed physical, PUP was not an option. Foster could return in 4 weeks but could be out 6 or more weeks. Team unsure

5:17pm - 7 Sep 15

I have a 16-team draft starting in 45 minutes where I'm drafting on the bump. With all of the latest news, I think my strategy will be to proceed as if I won't get him, try to get two solid RBs in the first 3-4 rounds, and then take him if he's still there on my 5/6 turn. In a deep league, he's no more of a lottery ticket than anyone else I'd be taking at that point, but with a much higher ceiling.

When he comes back he is a shoe in for RB1 numbers. i don't see how you don't take him? PPG basis he is up there with the highest of them. Even if he comes back and only plays 5 games and gets reinjured ill be happy because he most likely will have great games those 5 and i got him basically at the end of 4th in a 12man

I have a 16-team draft starting in 45 minutes where I'm drafting on the bump. With all of the latest news, I think my strategy will be to proceed as if I won't get him, try to get two solid RBs in the first 3-4 rounds, and then take him if he's still there on my 5/6 turn. In a deep league, he's no more of a lottery ticket than anyone else I'd be taking at that point, but with a much higher ceiling.
I pretty much did the same thing in my 16-team draft this evening. Except I was drafting in the middle.

Nabbed Ingram and JStew in Rounds 2 & 3 and then picked up Foster in the 5th right after Yeldon got plucked.

I have Foster in 2/3 leagues thus far, but wouldn't touch him in a 16 teamer.
Interesting. Why do you say that? I feel like being in a 16-teamer makes him *more* attractive, because you need to take some chances to get an RB1 outside of the first round.

Just went at the beginning of the 5th (#66) in my 16-teamer. I passed on drafting him as my RB2, but was totally planning on taking him if he had come around again.

Interesting. Why do you say that? I feel like being in a 16-teamer makes him *more* attractive, because you need to take some chances to get an RB1 outside of the first round.
you just can't afford to spend an early round pick on him in a standard 16 teamer...the earliest you could jump on him would be the 5th IMHO, but I still wouldn't.

Now in a standard 10 teamer, I'd take him as early as the late 3rd.

you just can't afford to spend an early round pick on him in a standard 16 teamer...the earliest you could jump on him would be the 5th IMHO, but I still wouldn't.

OK, I agree with that. That was the logic that led me to pass on him in the 4th. I was hoping to get him at end of the 5th, but he went before that.

I would absolutely roll the dice on him in the fifth round of a 16 team draft. Four full rounds would be 64 players--so in the fifth round--we're looking at players 65-80 in the draft. I can't think of 65-80 fantasy players I'd want over Foster regardless of league size. If you look at the fifth round--it means one would probably have 2 rbs and 2 wr's coming into that spot. I'd for sure rather own foster over any wr3/rb3 at that point--but thats just my 2 cents.

12 team draft last night. I took him at 6.7

There was nothing even close to the upside I would get with Foster upon his return. He will probably be back sooner rather than later. I rolled the dice.

12 team draft last night. I took him at 6.7

There was nothing even close to the upside I would get with Foster upon his return. He will probably be back sooner rather than later. I rolled the dice.
That's pretty damn good value especially after whispers of him possibly returning sooner than expected.

When they showed Foster rehabbing on Hard Knocks he said he was in the best shape of his life this summer.

He also made it sound like he'd miss two games.

OK, I agree with that. That was the logic that led me to pass on him in the 4th. I was hoping to get him at end of the 5th, but he went before that.
My #66 Foster was a 16 teamer. Murray+Randle+Foster. 1st/3rd/5th. But my pick was 5.02 of 16.

Just curious, not sure if this has been metioned, but has anyone traded away or traded for Arian? If so who did you give up / receive?

Took Foster at 4.06 tonight. Maybe could have waited a round but didn't want to risk it. Would have taken Andre Johnson with the pick if not AF; instead got VJax at 5.07.

RB options at 5.07 were in the Hyde, Ivory tier.

Would make the same call again with zero hesitation.

When they showed Foster rehabbing on Hard Knocks he said he was in the best shape of his life this summer.

Did he mean that he currently is in the best shape of his career or prior to the injury?
Prior to injury. But he also seemed to play the injury off as if he might be out two weeks. I'd have to go back and watch again to get the exact quote.

He was standing on a balance board, with a medicine ball between his legs doing lat pulls.

Did he mean that he currently is in the best shape of his career or prior to the injury?
Prior to injury. But he also seemed to play the injury off as if he might be out two weeks. I'd have to go back and watch again to get the exact quote.

He was standing on a balance board, with a medicine ball between his legs doing lat pulls.
That's awesome! I hope he misses two games only but doubt it. Hopefully we'll get a firm timetable soon.

Thats bad a$$ as ####...someone hook up a clip of this please

The quote was in the ESPN article Faust posted above

"I was actually in the best shape of my life. I'll still be able to salvage a season out of it. It's not going to be I'm going to be back for two games."
He did not say he'll only miss two games in this quote. I haven't watched the Hard Knocks episode but will check it out.

Just curious, not sure if this has been metioned, but has anyone traded away or traded for Arian? If so who did you give up / receive?
Gave a late 2016 first for Foster, Peyton and Percy Harvin in a .5 PPR dynasty.
i have good RB starters and ok WR`s ...i may trade Foster away for Alshon Jeffery...havent pulled the trigger ...gonna wait and see whats going on with Alshon`s calf first

My draft was little over a week ago, but I got him at 5.02. Had L.Bell as my keeper, and took AP 1.02 so I felt comfortable on the risk. Still had to scramble to get another RB fairly early so I snagged J.Bell. Going to be rough the first few weeks, but I could potentially be rolling with L.Bell, AP, and Foster down the stretch.

Gave a late 2016 first for Foster, Peyton and Percy Harvin in a .5 PPR dynasty.
i have good RB starters and ok WR`s ...i may trade Foster away for Alshon Jeffery...havent pulled the trigger ...gonna wait and see whats going on with Alshon`s calf first
I hope you are talking redraft.

If you can't trust a player's self-diagnosis as part of a heavily produced reality show designed to maximize drama, what can you trust?

Prior to injury. But he also seemed to play the injury off as if he might be out two weeks. I'd have to go back and watch again to get the exact quote.He was standing on a balance board, with a medicine ball between his legs doing lat pulls.
The quote was in the ESPN article Faust posted above

"I was actually in the best shape of my life. I'll still be able to salvage a season out of it. It's not going to be I'm going to be back for two games."
He did not say he'll only miss two games in this quote. I haven't watched the Hard Knocks episode but will check it out.
This is correct. Went back and rewatched.

Can't wait to see the impact he has across fantasy landscapes once he returns.

Talk about a hired gun of epic proportions. If he comes back in 2-4 weeks, maybe it's not as dramatic but if he rides in Week 7 or so, tears it up doing his usual day's work, it's going to make for some interesting playoff runs in leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread