What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buy Low/Sell High Thread (1 Viewer)

Nucker101

Footballguy
From my experience it's always been a bit easier to buy low and sell high after week 2 rather than one, especially since the 0-2 teams usually start to panic as do the owners of all players that have underperformed for a second straight week. I'll start things off with a few RB's I'll be trying to buy-low in my PPR leagues if the price is right.

David Wilson, RB, NYG

I know, I know...this guy has been a total bust and a big time meltdown. I was avoiding him this season in drafts/auctions, but at this point if you're sitting at 1-1 or 2-0 and like your team, this kid might be worth taking a chance on if you can manage to get him at a very low price. I expect Andre Brown to become the team's most valuable back when he's back in the mix and up to speed, but until then Wilson is still the most talented RB on the roster and has the upside to be a decent flex play at least if he can re-establish himself a bit over the next week or 2. Great player to buy low and stash on your bench in hopes of a turnaround.

Stevan Ridley, RB, NE

Extremely similar situation as Wilson's above. Vereen seems like he'll be the back to own when he returns(in PPR formats for sure), but right now Ridley is a great trade target since Vereen will be out for quite awhile. Ridley IMO is a better buy-low than Wilson and will also likely more expensive to acquire since he actually has proven last year that he can be a valuable real life and fantasy back. But again, you could be looking at acquiring a decent low end RB2 or great flex play at a reduced cost at this point. Blount does s care me a bit, since I believe he can be just as effective as Ridley if given a good amount of touches in this offense, but I expect Ridley to lead the backfield in touches every week as long as Vereen is out. The Patriots offense looks as weak as it has in years, but the return of Gronk(which sounds like it will be soon) IMO is going to really open things up again for both the passing and running game. Definitely worth targeting this week.

C.J. Spiller, RB, BUF

Obviously won't be as easy to buy low on as the two above since he's coming off of a 100 yard rushing game against the same defense that bottled up Marshawn Lynch and the Seahawks in week one. However, personally I had him projected to be a top 5 PPR back coming into this season with the potential to finish number one overall. The Bills coaching staff definitely aren't trying to make him puke with 21 touches per game this season, but he's still more than capable of finishing as a top 7 RB with 20-22 touches per game in PRP formats with how explosive he is as both a runner and a receiver.

Trent Richardson, RB, CLE

Similar to Spiller, he won't be a true buy-low target in a lot of leagues depending on how much his owner believes in him. However, unlike Spiller he doesn't have a Fred Jackson on his team that will steal a decent amount of touches per game and that was one of the big reasons for his ADP/projections coming into this season. There are very few talented running backs these days that will get as high of a % of his team's carries as T-Rich will. The only thing holding him ack is the rest of this offense, but the emergence of Jordan Cameron paired with the return of Josh Gordon should help open things up a bit for T-Rich.

Who are you buying low and selling high?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of talk about Josh Freeman in Tampa being benched and the effect of that on Doug Martin...so anyone plan on trying to sell Martin high after this game vs. NO?

Moreno looked good today but IIRC he's had hammy issues off and on over his career...anyone trying to sell him high or buy Montee Ball low?

Definitely agree TRich's situation may be causing his owners to sweat.

Ahmad Bradshaw looked good today...anyone planning on selling high before Indy brings in another RB and/or his feet act up? Or you going to try to ride him as long as you can?

Is Ray Rice a buy low?

MJD and Cecil Shorts buy lows? Or avoids?

Moreno is a good sell high, Pryor may still have some value with the win, Stevie Johnson Wr, Phillip Rivers, and Mike Vick.

Buy lows, Trent Richardson, Marshon Lynch, Gronkowski, Wr Josh Gordon.

It's hard to "buy low" on guys like Richardson and Spiller who were likely selected by owners who were targeting them. Ridley is an interesting guy because there is a realistic chance that his owner doesn't really love him. I got him in the late 4th of a ppr draft and wasn't happy about it. I "had" to take him because the value was too good. Now I'd be glad to trade him to someone looking to buy low.

I'm thinking Roddy White is a guy to go after. Especially if his owner uys 0-2.

Lots of talk about Josh Freeman in Tampa being benched and the effect of that on Doug Martin...so anyone plan on trying to sell Martin high after this game vs. NO?
Well, Freeman was awful today, so anything short of John Skelton should be an improvement.

Martin is one of the only real featured backs in the game right now and he's going to get his yards and pointes regardless of how the team does.

Do you think Dwayne Bowe could be a buy low? He had a decent outing today with 55 yards and a TD but isn't by any means lighting it up. I would sell high on julian edelman, two 20+ ppg in ppr, and still has value while Amendola is out.

Moreno is a good sell high, Pryor may still have some value with the win, Stevie Johnson Wr, Phillip Rivers, and Mike Vick.

How can you buy low on Lynch? He is carving up one of the best defenses in the league.

Gronk and Gordon when they are about to come back?

Do you think Dwayne Bowe could be a buy low? He had a decent outing today with 55 yards and a TD but isn't by any means lighting it up. I would sell high on julian edelman, two 20+ ppg in ppr, and still has value while Amendola is out.
I'd consider selling high on him.

It doesn't seem like his skill set is a great fit for Alex Smith and this offense.

Wonder what the value of Royal might be. I wouldn't mind selling high but not sure how high that is.

No offense but nobody whos sat on Gronk until now is gonna sell him low right before he returns
If anything, Gronk might be a sell high. We haven't seen in play so it is easy for someone to be wildly optimistic on how he will be able to change everything that is wrong with the Patriots offense.

I think opinions on him could vary wildly. I think this is one guy who can be traded easily where both people feel they got the better bargain. It all depends on how much he was targeted by the owner when he was drafted and how much he was just the next guy on the list.

if you believe in Arian Foster, now might be your last chance to buy low. he really turned it on in the later stages of the games and was featured in crunch time but he was outplayed by Tate again. there are definite reasons to be worried about him but like I said, if you like him go get him now because as soon as he goes for 100, 2 TD you won't be able to get him

Moreno looked good today but IIRC he's had hammy issues off and on over his career...anyone trying to sell him high or buy Montee Ball low?

Ahmad Bradshaw looked good today...anyone planning on selling high before Indy brings in another RB and/or his feet act up? Or you going to try to ride him as long as you can?

Is Ray Rice a buy low?

Definitely will shop him around in my leagues as a potential sell high. Haven't been impressed with the Colts so far this year and the O-line still looks questionable to me. Plus Bradshaw is always an injury concern, and you have the Colts owner tweeting about acquiring another RB. They play SEA, HOU and Den in 3 of the next 5 games.

I was of the opinion going into this draft that you should avoid all Jags save for MJD. I was wrong - this should have included MJD.

Sell/avoid all Jags.

I was of the opinion going into this draft that you should avoid all Jags save for MJD. I was wrong - this should have included MJD.

Sell/avoid all Jags.
Eh, you can't predict injuries. MJD is the clear feature back, and even on a bad team, that's worth something.

The reason he didn't end up with a solid day was because he sprained his ankle in the 2nd quarter.

His risk/reward adequately placed him in the high 2nd/early 3rd and I think that was correct. You can't go back and claim it was a bad pick just because he got injured.

It's hard to "buy low" on guys like Richardson and Spiller who were likely selected by owners who were targeting them.
True of Spiller. IDK about Richardson; don't you think he's on a lot of teams with the 9th or 10th pick who had no other real options?

Is Ray Rice a buy low?

Definitely will shop him around in my leagues as a potential sell high. Haven't been impressed with the Colts so far this year and the O-line still looks questionable to me. Plus Bradshaw is always an injury concern, and you have the Colts owner tweeting about acquiring another RB. They play SEA, HOU and Den in 3 of the next 5 games.
Didn't the Colts just lose one of their starting O-line also? Not a big factor, but, I agree, they don't look right as of yet.

It's hard to "buy low" on guys like Richardson and Spiller who were likely selected by owners who were targeting them.
True of Spiller. IDK about Richardson; don't you think he's on a lot of teams with the 9th or 10th pick who had no other real options?
I truly believe TRich will finish the year as a top 5 RB in ppr and standard leagues once Gordon comes back and forces Defenses to play honest. Try to buy low on him now.

I truly believe TRich will finish the year as a top 5 RB in ppr and standard leagues once Gordon comes back and forces Defenses to play honest. Try to buy low on him now.
Cleveland does not have a clue how to run an offense or use their best player, I'm trying to move TRich now, for whatever I can get.

He is on a putrid team, he may have a big week here and there, but he will not be consistent enough. As far as Gordon, he is still a brown and not special enough to have such an impact that this team can turn it around.

I love TRich, but I despise the coaching staff so much more than I love him. I have never in my life and history of watching football seen a team so inept at using their best player.

Seriously, why the hell is Onyanhijghjdkgf even in the game at all if TRich is healthy. You have to be one dumb ### coach to think he can help you better then TRich with an arm tied behind his back.

Chud is by far the worst head coach in football, bar none.

So does anyone think that Doug Martin, VJax, and Spiller were Sell Highs after they posted decent 100+ yard games in week 2?

VJax & Doug Martin because the handwriting was on the wall with Freeman.

Spiller because though there were a lot of touches there was already something of a split with Fred Jackson.

Also I thought this was interesting:

Seriously, why the hell is Onyanhijghjdkgf even in the game at all if TRich is healthy. You have to be one dumb ### coach to think he can help you better then TRich with an arm tied behind his back.
That was a bit of a harbinger.

Interesting to look at this stuff in retrospect to understand how to move better in the future.

:lol: Well I look pretty stupid in the OP after last week. Spiller really disappointed me against the Jets before he left the game, ouch. I still believe in his talent though and will buy low, he should no longer have a rb1 price tag so it could pay big time dividends. Same goes for Wilson, he had a decent run called back by a penalty and I think all the Giants are buy lows after last week, things have to get better, right? I doubt Cruz can be had cheaply, but he's a stud WR that could now actually be more affordable if anyone got scared off after last week. Nicks scares me a bit, but I'd take a shot at him as a buy low because he'll still get the targets and his career norms suggest that he's a big time buy low right now.

Others thoughts of mine:

Colin Kaepernick: I like him as a buy low in 4 point passing TD leagues, even if he regresses as a passer his legs will still make him a good fantasy QB. Vernon Davis returning should help a bit. But I'll admit that last week scared me quite a bit, Indy isn't exactly a shut down defensive team.

Russell Wilson: I would like to see him run more, and would still buy him if I wanted a QBBC or a strong QB2 in hopes that he'll catch fire again.

Frank Gore: Similar to Kaepernick, only I'm much more confident about Gore, although his owners probably are as well. Still running behind a great o-line as the main back. Very strong buy in non-ppr.

Reggie Bush: If you can land him from a frustrated owner at a discount rate then I definitely would, he'll still be a PPR monster.

Darren McFadden: I'm selling high here, the Raiders offense and O-line is still pretty awful and not to mention that McFadden is an injury seemingly waiting to happen. He should be fine this week with a good matchup as long as he comes out alive, but I'm selling this week or next week for sure.

Knowshon Moreno: Still like him a lot as a RB3/flex on good fantasy teams that can put up RB2 numbers for your team, maybe his owner will be looking to "sell high" or is worried about Hillman/Ball.

Chris Johnson: more of a sell while you can, but with NYJ-KC-SEASF-STL coming up I'd be worried. I'd look to buy low on him after he gets through those games, similar to last year he's going to frustrate his owners and then pick it up again once the schedule softens up a bit IMO.

Torrey Smith: Targets and yardage numbers look really good to me, the TD's will come sooner or later and when they do then his value should skyrocket. I'd buy while you still can, could be a really solid WR2 in all formats.

Vincent Jackson/Mike Williams: I'm not as scared off by Mike Glennon as some are, he has a decent arm and is capable of hitting these guys deep just like Freeman was. Vincent Jackson is a WR1 that you might able to get at the price of a WR2 in 12 team PPR leagues right now. Williams is still a good WR3/Flex and someone I'd also target if I was WR-needy.

Aaron Dobson/Kenbrell Thompkins - Could even be on some WW's, but I've been more impressed by him than Thompkins, could have decent value even with Gronk returning. I'm selling high on Kenbrell Thompkins, sure he had 2 TD's, but just from watching him play I haven't been impressed.

Sidney Rice/Ryan Broyles - I like both of these guys quite a bit because they're in good position to get a good amount of targets, with solid QB's throwing them the ball, and have the talent and ability to make the most out of their situations.

Martellus Bennett: His TD rate has to come back down to earth(last week could be the beginning), I simply don't trust Cutler's 4th option in this offense(Marshall, Jeffery, Forte). I'd love to be able to package him up for Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron.

KC Chiefs D/ST: Maybe as throw-in as part of an offer? The Chiefs are playing NYG-TEN-OAK-HOU-CLE-BUF and really only HOU and maybe the NYG this week look like decent offensive threats. This defense is for real.

Thoughts? Who are you guys buying and selling?

So does anyone think that Doug Martin, VJax, and Spiller were Sell Highs after they posted decent 100+ yard games in week 2?

VJax & Doug Martin because the handwriting was on the wall with Freeman.

Spiller because though there were a lot of touches there was already something of a split with Fred Jackson.

Also I thought this was interesting:

That was a bit of a harbinger.

Interesting to look at this stuff in retrospect to understand how to move better in the future.
I disagree. I'd be looking to buy all Bucs if anyone is panicking. I don't see Glennon being much worse than Freeman to be honest.

I'd consider selling high on him.

It doesn't seem like his skill set is a great fit for Alex Smith and this offense.
consider "selling high" on him? With the way he's starting the season--what makes you think that you could sell him high? Generally selling high on a player means getting more than what they are worth because they are outperforming what they were expected to do. You can't really sell high on somebody that has performed below the levels of a lot of wr's that are still available on most waiver wires.

As a Doug Martin owner, I won't be biting on any low offers. I was just offered Knowshon Moreno and chump change and Darren Sproles and more chump change. While I might have been open to bargain with selling him at a lower price than his ADP for someone who is proven to earn me points every week, lowballing ruins all future negotiations for me. Don't make that mistake. When I get lowball offers, I hike up my value of that player immidiately just to spite those people.

As a Doug Martin owner, I won't be biting on any low offers. I was just offered Knowshon Moreno and chump change and Darren Sproles and more chump change. While I might have been open to bargain with selling him at a lower price than his ADP for someone who is proven to earn me points every week, lowballing ruins all future negotiations for me. Don't make that mistake. When I get lowball offers, I hike up my value of that player immidiately just to spite those people.
Making a decision based on emotion and spite is a sure fire way to lose a fantasy season. You don't have to take the low offer but there has to be middle ground that may work in your favor. But getting your panties in a bunch you are throwing logic out the window and have no chance to see if something could help your team.

Making a decision based on emotion and spite is a sure fire way to lose a fantasy season. You don't have to take the low offer but there has to be middle ground that may work in your favor. But getting your panties in a bunch you are throwing logic out the window and have no chance to see if something could help your team.
Exactty.

I agree that I would think those type of offers are lowball offers, but instead of getting mad, just LOL and counter with an offer that you think is fair. Then we will see if the other owner is really interested in acquiring Martin.

David Wilson, RB, NYG

I know, I know...this guy has been a total bust and a big time meltdown. I was avoiding him this season in drafts/auctions, but at this point if you're sitting at 1-1 or 2-0 and like your team, this kid might be worth taking a chance on if you can manage to get him at a very low price. I expect Andre Brown to become the team's most valuable back when he's back in the mix and up to speed, but until then Wilson is still the most talented RB on the roster and has the upside to be a decent flex play at least if he can re-establish himself a bit over the next week or 2. Great player to buy low and stash on your bench in hopes of a turnaround.
:greatposting:

:oldunsure:

73 carries for 297 and a TD is nothing to complain about IMO. He is a bellcow in a league that is almost entirely a RBBC. Sure TB is in a quandry right now but Martin is holding his own.

Trying to sell high on Jordan Cameron.

I think he'll hold value all season, but if you ave te room to trade him and need upgrades at other positions, now is the time to dish him.

I think he'll hold value all season, but if you ave te room to trade him and need upgrades at other positions, now is the time to dish him.
I'm holding JC. He's in the top 10 in our league, and scoring more each week. I know it's bound to level off at some point, but even then, his ceiling is so high, I'm riding the JC wave as long as I can. Total stud. He's not going anywhere for me.

Unless you can package him for some blockbuster deal, you'll be kicking yourself later for getting rid of him.

I'm holding JC. He's in the top 10 in our league, and scoring more each week. I know it's bound to level off at some point, but even then, his ceiling is so high, I'm riding the JC wave as long as I can. Total stud. He's not going anywhere for me.

Unless you can package him for some blockbuster deal, you'll be kicking yourself later for getting rid of him.
I had Jordan Cameron and Julius Thomas. Decided to trade away Julius Thomas. Thomas has the better qb but i'm just scared he'll have alot of 2 -20 yard games.

I had Jordan Cameron and Julius Thomas. Decided to trade away Julius Thomas. Thomas has the better qb but i'm just scared he'll have alot of 2 -20 yard games.
So you decided to trade the guy with the hall of fame QB and keep the guy with a QB that may be switched out in 2 weeks?

So you decided to trade the guy with the hall of fame QB and keep the guy with a QB that may be switched out in 2 weeks?
Have J. Thomas and Clay as well, besides JC. Liking my TE prospects for this year.

I traded Deangelo Williams for David Wilson. Hopefully Wilson bounces back, his ceiling is higher. Deangelo is going to lose carries once stewart comes back.

There was no real possibility of getting anything realistic. He wasn't going to give up Lynch, Brees, or Graham with his weak bench, and with offers like those he presented he clearly was way off on my perceived value of Martin. I try not to let my emotions control my decisions, but I doubt it will make a difference in this sort of situation.

I was able to package Cameron, Gronk, and Sid Rice in a deal to get Foster, VDavis, and Blackmon. I still have Fleener as my other TE and can pair Foster with TRich and Blackmon will be my WR4/Flex with Dez, Cobb, and VJax already on my team.

I was able to package Cameron, Gronk, and Sid Rice in a deal to get Foster, VDavis, and Blackmon. I still have Fleener as my other TE and can pair Foster with TRich and Blackmon will be my WR4/Flex with Dez, Cobb, and VJax already on my team.
Wow, I really like Gronk but getting Foster made that trade straight robbery. I really like Blackmon's potential when he returns next week. Nice trade.

Wow, I really like Gronk but getting Foster made that trade straight robbery. I really like Blackmon's potential when he returns next week. Nice trade.
Was hesitant to give up both TEs since I could play one in the Flex, but since I was weak at RB after Richardson (Lacy, JBell, and Snelling), I could definitely use Foster.

I recently packaged Cameron with Cruz for AJ Green and Clay. I am sitting on Gronk as well, so hopping he comes back soon now. Cameron has been on a nice run, but to get a top 3 WR I couldn't resist.

I recently packaged Cameron with Cruz for AJ Green and Clay. I am sitting on Gronk as well, so hopping he comes back soon now. Cameron has been on a nice run, but to get a top 3 WR I couldn't resist.
Not a bad deal either. Gronk should be back any week now

I like the Gronk side.

I like the Gronk side.
If people are considering Jordan camerons value--I just traded him away--but mainly because I also own Jimmy Graham. I traded Cameron away for David Wilson and Dwayne Bowe. Cameron was sitting on my bench and I was thin on upside rb's and wrs. I know it probably wasn't a great deal--but there was no way I was starting Cameron over Graham.

If people are considering Jordan camerons value--I just traded him away--but mainly because I also own Jimmy Graham. I traded Cameron away for David Wilson and Dwayne Bowe. Cameron was sitting on my bench and I was thin on upside rb's and wrs. I know it probably wasn't a great deal--but there was no way I was starting Cameron over Graham.
That's pretty good, yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread