What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordy Nelson (2 Viewers)

He didn't look done at all. He looked like a guy who didn't have chemistry with a new QB, after playing 9 years with only 1 guy,other than a small stretch of 2013. There were dozens of plays where Nelson was wide open for sizable gains and Hundley either didn't see him, made a poor throw, or looked elsewhere. 

Nelson is still at the very least a good #2 WR. Somebody is going to get a steal here. I kinda feel bad for teams that blew money on inferior WR's because they didn't know Nelson would be available.
He looked done with Rodgers. Just had some short tds to hide that if people just looked at fantasy stats.

He looked done with Rodgers. Just had some short tds to hide that if people just looked at fantasy stats.
Yep.  Injuries have taken away his speed and ability to get separation.  I think he is still a crafty enough player to be a good possession WR on the right team, but his days as a WR1 (in reality or fantasy ball) are over. 

(dynastyleaguefootball) In a somewhat unexpected move, the Packers have released Jordy Nelson.

Analysis: It's only shocking due to the success he and Aaron Rodgers have enjoyed in previous years. Nelson tore his ACL in the pre-season ahead of his 2015 campaign but returned in 2016 to pull down 97 receptions for 1,257 yards and 14 touchdowns. 2017 was a disappointing season by way of 53 receptions, 482 yards and six touchdowns and Nelson never looked fully healthy and appeared sluggish. The Packers clear over $10M in cap space via the move and it's not out of the questions they resign him on a cheaper contract, but Nelson should land on his feet either way. In DLF's Dynasty rankings, Nelson appears as the WR32 and his ADP (97) remains near a career low. Nelson will be 33 when the 2018 season kicks off. No longer a viable receiver centerpiece in dynasty, Nelson can be an upside WR3 in dynasty depending on situation. Watch New England, Seattle, Indianapolis and Minnesota as potential landing spots though Nelson will find many more suitors.

Nelson has a visit scheduled with OAK on Wednesday. Would make sense. Edger Bennett was his former WR coach in GB and now WR coach in OAK.

Free agent Jordy Nelson has visits lined up with the Seahawks and Saints.

He's visiting the Raiders on Wednesday. Still just 32, Nelson went for 27 touchdowns between 2015-16 before flopping last year with Aaron Rodgers hurt. The Seahawks are in the market for a pass-catcher after losing Paul Richardson and Jimmy Graham in free agency while New Orleans is looking to bolster a receiving corps featuring Michael Thomas and deep threat Ted Ginn. Nelson has also been intrigued by the Patriots, though it's unclear if that interest is mutual.

Related: Saints, Seahawks

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 14 - 12:26 PM

nah his market will be soft regardless of when he was let go....its a business.....is he any better than Decker? I mean Decker with Peyton was nasty.....Jordy with AAron was nasty too....put em on the jets.....meh
Decker had 80-1027-12 in 15 games in 2015 with the Jets and 74-962-5 in 15 games the season before.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jordy Nelson is expected to sign with the Raiders.

Nelson is still in Oakland after visiting with the Raiders on Wednesday, and a source told Schefter, "This is going to get done." Nelson is clearly on the back nine of his career, but he would be a solid red-zone option for Derek Carr. If Nelson does end up in Oakland, the Raiders are expected to move on from Michael Crabtree.

Related: Raiders

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 15 - 11:36 AM

I tend to agree that none of the packers wrs are that good without rodgers.
I think in his prime Jordy was a very good if not borderline great WR even without Rodgers.  Not elite but still excellent.  That was before his ACL injury and before he hit is 30's.  One of my all time favorite Packers but it's a business and he's definitely lost a step.  He can still be a decent WR though.

I think in his prime Jordy was a very good if not borderline great WR even without Rodgers.  Not elite but still excellent.  That was before his ACL injury and before he hit is 30's.  One of my all time favorite Packers but it's a business and he's definitely lost a step.  He can still be a decent WR though.
Love Jordy, but at this point, is he an upgrade over Crabtree in Oakland? 

Maybe it's a team culture type move if Crabtree has worn out his welcome.

Does anyone think he can produce at a WR2 level, or is he just an WR3/Flex type going forward?

Personally, I see him as an WR3 at this point in his career. In redraft he's probably drafted in between the 30-40th overall wides.

In dynasty, barely moves the needle at this point. 

They were all (Adams, Nelson and Cobb) second round picks in the NFL draft.
Is that a good or bad thing?

I agree that nelson was a good wr.  Always has been.  Rodgers made him elite however.  I feel the same way about Cobb.  That guy is a dime a dozen without rodgers.  

Is that a good or bad thing?

I agree that nelson was a good wr.  Always has been.  Rodgers made him elite however.  I feel the same way about Cobb.  That guy is a dime a dozen without rodgers.  
I'd say when a good organization uses a second round pick on a player it indicates that they are a talent. I don't think anyone would argue that playing with Rodgers isn't a huge benefit but I would disagree that none are good without Rodgers. They were each highly regarded prospects and are talents - I think they would be productive in other places - assuming it's not with a QB like Bryce Petty or Drew Stanton.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Saints are making a "hard push" for free agent Jordy Nelson.

It was reported earlier that Nelson was close to signing with Oakland after visiting the Raiders on Wednesday but Rapoport confirms it's "not a done deal." In addition to the Saints, the Seahawks are also making a run at Nelson. The 33-year-old finished last season on a 10-game touchdown drought but obviously teams still feel he has something to offer.

Related: Seahawks, Saints, Raiders

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Mar 15 - 2:19 PM

Raiders signed WR Jordy Nelson, formerly of the Packers, to a two-year, $15 million contract.

As expected, the Raiders cut Michael Crabtree and his $7.5 million in salary and bonuses for 2018 and gave it to Nelson, who gets $13 million guaranteed. Nelson (33 in May) is two years older than Crabtree and looked washed with the Packers last season, though we're going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, considering he was playing with Brett Hundley. (It didn't bother Davante Adams.) Nelson will be the starter opposite Amari Cooper, who coach Jon Gruden said will be the focal point of the offense. Consider Nelson a WR3 for now.

Related: Packers

Source: James Jones on Twitter 

Mar 15 - 4:04 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Harsh final grade from a well known long time Packer beat writer in January:

JORDY NELSON (77%): Didn’t do anything in training camp, exhibition games or in 806 snaps. The only judgment, at 32 and in his 10th season, is that Nelson has hit the proverbial wall. Lived on his six TD passes from Aaron Rodgers in the first five games to elude scrutiny over his ongoing collapse. Other than a 32-yard “free” play against the unsuspecting Seahawks, his TD passes measured 1, 3, 4, 8 and 10 yards. Never caught another in what was by far his poorest season. Rodgers’ injury was just a convenient excuse. He couldn’t beat press coverage or separate downfield. He also developed a disturbing habit of falling down for little or no reason when the ball arrived. His average gain after the catch of 2.30 was the lowest of his career; on 67.9% of his 53 catches he gained two or fewer yards post-catch. Of all WRs with 25 or more receptions, Nelson ranked third worst in yards per catch at 9.1. Late in the season his hands and blocking deserted him, too. His long catch from Game 6 on was 17 yards. After averaging 20.7 receptions for 20 or more yards in his last three full seasons Nelson had four in 2017. There’s no reason to bring Nelson back for the final year of his contract at $9.25 million base salary. If the Packers think his legs are gone, release him. Grade: D-minus.

Don't like this move at all, Crabtree looks like a far better WR that Oakland should have kept.
I disagree that Crabtree looks like a far better WR, or even a better WR. They seem like equals to me, with the caveat that Nelson is a much better locker room guy, and likely a better sounding board for Carr and mentor for Cooper.

Hear me out. 

I think Jordy Nelson is an underrated player going into the season.  

I get he is 33 years old.  Coming off an ACL injury 2 years ago.  I understand he is moving across the country to a coach that hasn't coached in the NFL for around a decade.  For a team that hasn't won a SB in even longer. 

Hear me out.

Gruden has a history with aging WRs.  Rice, Brown, McCardell, and Keyshawn were all entering the twilight of their careers when they hooked on with Gruden.  Gruden demands precision routes and intelligence from his WRs. Nelson was brought in specifically because of his game acumen and route running and hands.  

Jordy is only two years out from a solid fantasy year (albeit with Arod throwing him the ball).  With Crabtree gone, there are a boatload of short and intermediate targets that are going to be available. It can be argued that Cooper is the best WR he has ever played opposite from.  Nelson will likely draw #2 CBs to start.  

If Gruden reverts to a similar scheme based, short pass oriented, quick paced offense like he ran in Oakland and Tampa, Jordy could return to fantasy prominence quickly.  He has traditionally been a top talent when healthy. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936411/article/carr-sees-why-rodgers-loved-throwing-to-jordy-nelson

Thoughts?  

Hear me out. 

I get he is 33 years old.  Coming off an ACL injury 2 years ago.  I understand he is moving across the country to a coach that hasn't coached in the NFL for around a decade.  For a team that hasn't won a SB in even longer. 

Hear me out.

Gruden has a history with aging WRs.  Rice, Brown, McCardell, and Keyshawn were all entering the twilight of their careers when they hooked on with Gruden.  Gruden demands precision routes and intelligence from his WRs. Nelson was brought in specifically because of his game acumen and route running and hands.  

Jordy is only two years out from a solid fantasy year (albeit with Arod throwing him the ball).  With Crabtree gone, there are a boatload of short and intermediate targets that are going to be available. It can be argued that Cooper is the best WR he has ever played opposite from.  Nelson will likely draw #2 CBs to start.  

If Gruden reverts to a similar scheme based, short pass oriented, quick paced offense like he ran in Oakland and Tampa, Jordy could return to fantasy prominence quickly.  He has traditionally been a top talent when healthy. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936411/article/carr-sees-why-rodgers-loved-throwing-to-jordy-nelson

Thoughts?  
I agree.  And jordy was doing great last year before arodg got hurt.  I think he picked up rt where he left off in 2016.  

For the right price I’ll take him 

Hear me out. 

Hear me out.

Thoughts?  
Jordy Nelson was being treated as a WR 2 against the Vikings last year with Xavier Rhodes shadowing Adams not Nelson is the main indicator to me that Nelson has lost several steps to his game.

Prior to last season Nelson was a Viking killer, would typically have good games against them. So the change in how their defense was treating Nelson was a revelation for me. Last season he became more of an after thought, even when Rodgers was healthy.

You can't really convince me that Nelson going to the Raiders is a more favorable situation than the one he came from in Green Bay.

The writing is on the wall and I believe Nelsons days as a fantasy relevant WR are over.

The narrative about Gruden working with Rice, Brown and McCardell does not move me. Rice was still playing at a high level, as was Brown and McCardell. I don't think Nelson has that in him anymore.

Now with a June ADP of 156 overall (end of the 13th round in 12 team leagues) and WR 70. Sure he is worth a shot there. I do think Nelson could put up WR 3 numbers if he is the 2nd target for the Raiders. I just don't think he has the ability to do more than that, so there are other players also being drafted late who I think offer more upside than Nelson does.

Hairy Snowman said:
Hear me out. 

Hear me out.

Thoughts?  
I am a Jordy dynasty owner and I’m hoping for a couple more productive years. I’ve kind of convinced myself it could happen using similar reasoning.

He’s always been good around the goal line, and if he can play the slot and catch some balls, he sure could have some real value. In redraft, his price is so low he’s worth a shot.

Hairy Snowman said:
Hear me out. 

Hear me out.

Thoughts?  
He was bad with Rodgers (a few tds don’t change how poor he played) and the pack cut home with Nobody to replace him. He’s done.

He was bad with Rodgers (a few tds don’t change how poor he played) and the pack cut home with Nobody to replace him. He’s done.
I would disagree.  The pack have a slew of young WRs that should see the field this year.  Allison was beginning to shine at the end of last season. Rodgers is already talking about St Brown's hands.  I think the pack will survive fine. 

Also, TDs still count in fantasy football last I checked.  Just saying, plenty of WRs that don't even score a "few" TDs.      

As much as I felt like Jordy lost a step and was right to let him walk, I'm starting to think that Jordy ends up as the wr1 in this offense. enough to concern me that I traded Cooper away

Just curious...when was he bad with Rodgers? 
I wouldn't say Nelson was bad with Rodgers last year. Here is what he produced in the first 6 games of the season, Rodgers was injured after 4 pass attempts in the 6th game, so it was pretty early and Hundley played most of those snaps.

Seahawks 8 targets  7 receptions 79 yards 1 TD

at Falcons 0

Bengals 9 targets 6 receptions 52 yards 2 TD

Bears 7 targets 4 receptions 75 yards 2 TD

at Cowboys 4 targets 2 receptions 24 yards 1 TD

at Vikings 10 targets 6 receptions 60 yards

These numbers are great for any receiver in fantasy because of the TDs 38 targets 25 receptions 290 yards 6 TD

This s 6.3 targets 4.2 receptions 48 yards 1 TD on a per game basis in fantasy this is 15 points per game. Over 16 games this would be 101 targets 67 receptions 768 yards 16 TD which is a far cry from the 150 targets near 100 receptions and almost twice as many yards in Nelsons last two seasons with Rodgers. This sample is mostly using the games where Rodgers played.

With Hundley for the rest of the season Nelsons performance dropped off big time. He never had more than 35 yards in a game the rest of the season.

Rodgers did come back and play in the 14th game against the Panthers. The Packers lost this game 31 to 24 Rodgers had 45 pass attempts 290 yards and 3 TD in the game. Nelson had 6 targets 3 receptions 28 yards in that game.

The clearest sign to me that Nelson was done being their best WR was when the Vikings did not assign Rhodes to him in coverage in that 6th game. The numbers for Nelson were mostly still there prior to this. This last game with Rodgers against the Panthers further tells that story as Nelson does not do nearly as much in this game where Rodgers throws the ball 45 times. That indicates to me that it isn't just Hundley as the reason for Nelsons performance being down.

What Nelson actually did last year was 14 targets 14 receptions 286 yards and 10 TD lower than the pace he was on with Rodgers in the first 6 games. So that is on Hundley, but the rest of the decline is more about Nelson in my opinion. He wasn't going to get the same level of targets yards or receptions if Rodgers had played all 16 games.

He was done in that snow game against Minnesota. That was the moment he was done being a Packer. Went to California to retire.

His numbers were down in 2016 compared to before his ACL injury (except the touchdowns), and they were down some more in 2017 in his games with Rodgers compared to 2016 (except the touchdowns), and his 2017 numbers with Hundley were much worse than his 2017 numbers with Rodgers (especially the touchdowns).

My guess is that the Rodgers-Hundley gap is more about him having a great rapport with Rodgers than it is about Hundley being bad. See also James Jones, who put up solid numbers in 2015 with Rodgers (especially the touchdowns) after having a lousy 2014 season with Carr and then getting cut by the Raiders.

Jordy Nelson, by season:
10.3 YPT and 82 ypg in 2013
10.1 YPT and 95 ypg in 2014
did not play in 2015
8.3 YPT and 79 ypg in 2016
7.6 YPT and 43 ypg in 2017 in 6 games with Rodgers
4.1 YPT and 25 ypg in 2017 in 9 games with Hundley

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports Jordy Nelson has been "moving like he's 28" in Raiders camp.

Reporter Michael Gehlken admits it "reads like training-camp puff," but says Nelson has had the looks of an asset. Per Gehlken, Nelson is running "polished routes" and developing his timing with Derek Carr. "What they needed," Gehlken said. Nelson's addition ultimately boils down to whether he has more left in the tank than Michael Crabtree. Nelson looked his age (32) in 2017. He turned 33 in May.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter 

Aug 2 - 2:52 PM

Defense got worse and his competition for WR2 on the team is out of the league......how good can Jordy be this year? :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread