What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordy Nelson (3 Viewers)

4 targets, 3 receptions, 23 yards in Week 1.

Is anybody dropping him. It's very early but I've toyed with the idea of dropping him for someone like Geronimo Allison or Chris Godwin.

Holding for another week due to my belief that Amari is quite mediocre as well as a basket case and Cook always seems to have that one big game and disappears afterwards. Someone needs to get the targets for Oak.

4 targets, 3 receptions, 23 yards in Week 1.

Is anybody dropping him. It's very early but I've toyed with the idea of dropping him for someone like Geronimo Allison or Chris Godwin.
It's close.. Week 1 was a super tough matchup in which the WR's clearly weren't part of the game plan for the Raiders. I do like the other two guy's you may target. They signed M Bryant. The Raiders play the Broncos this week so I don't think things are gonna get much better. I'd say either hold onto him a few more weeks and see or just make the move. I'd go Godwin but I like both.

I dropped for Geronimo. Can't really read the tea leaves but as others have said, not crazy about the OAK situation and I would be surprised if he had a good week this week.

He's reportedly going to be retiring today or tomorrow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He's reportedly going to be retiring today or tomorrow. 
Too bad that he ended his career at the Raiders and their disaster of a season.  Would have been nice to see him contribute some on a team that is actually functioning like an NFL team. 

Too bad that he ended his career at the Raiders and their disaster of a season.  Would have been nice to see him contribute some on a team that is actually functioning like an NFL team. 
The retirement tweet has since been deleted and called a baseless rumor.

Seems he's going to keep 'playing' for the Raiders.

Coach Jon Gruden said Monday that Jordy Nelson (knee, quad) could return in Week 12 against the Ravens.

Specifically, Gruden said Nelson "has a chance" to resume practicing, which would indicate a chance to play. With Brandon LaFell (Achilles') done for the year and Martavis Bryant (PCL) out indefinitely, Jordy has an opportunity to emerge as the Raiders' No. 1 wide receiver down the stretch.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter 

Nov 19 - 4:27 PM

His skills have fallen off more than a little bit, but he still seems like he can play at an NFL level and he is still under contract. Given the dearth of offensive talent in Oakland, I can't see him getting cut. 

Raiders released WR Jordy Nelson.

Nelson's fate was sealed after the Raiders lavished $44 million on Tyrell Williams. It also comes after the Raiders already paid Nelson's 2019 roster bonus. De facto GM Jon Gruden had previously insisted Nelson would be back for 2019. What Gruden says has had little correlation with what he does in Oakland. Although three steps slower than he was during his prime, Nelson played decent high-volume football for the Raiders down the stretch last year. He should have a market if he opts to continue playing.

RELATED: 

Oakland Raiders

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mar 14, 2019, 3:03 PM

Seems like a perfect guy to fill a void in Pittsburgh for a year.  Assuming he still has something left in the tank.  

Faust said:
De facto GM Jon Gruden had previously insisted Nelson would be back for 2019. What Gruden says has had little correlation with what he does in Oakland. 
Mayock discussed the tyrell signing, and said it wasn't the plan but williams really wanted to play with carr and Antonio and his agent said let's get something done.  

To me that sounds like the agent was a little desperate and williams wasn't getting a lot of big money offers. It's like that dipstick who texted Cleveland saying come get me.  It's a trap.  

As a Packer fan I wouldn't mind having him come back to Green Bay to finish his career if the money is right. 

Mayock discussed the tyrell signing, and said it wasn't the plan but williams really wanted to play with carr and Antonio and his agent said let's get something done.  

To me that sounds like the agent was a little desperate and williams wasn't getting a lot of big money offers. It's like that dipstick who texted Cleveland saying come get me.  It's a trap.  
Didn't he get $11MM per - that's a pretty big money offer for what he's done in his career to date.

He can't run and honestly the fact they were able to have him be productive the last month of the season is just another reason for me to be high on AB going to Oakland. I honestly thought last year he might retire in-season.

He can't run and honestly the fact they were able to have him be productive the last month of the season is just another reason for me to be high on AB going to Oakland. I honestly thought last year he might retire in-season.
I thought he did a good job of "not running" in this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFA5zkic6VY 

He may have lost a step and battled some "old man" injuries last year, but he has the work ethic, knows how to use his body, and knows how to get open for his QB.  I see him at a minimum being an asset in the red zone for a team.  Possibly also could serve as slot receiver somewhere.  He's not done yet. 

Unless he retires.  Then he's done.

I think he could be a nice fit on my Texans. I know he's not what he was, but the Texans cannot keep two WRs healthy in any season across the history of the franchise.

Being asked to be a complementary player at this point in his career on the other side of Hopkins and Fuller in 3WR sets seems like it'd be a good fit for what the team needs and for what he has left.

I hope that video was not a defense of him to my comment that he can't run.

If WR starved NE picked him up he could produce some fantasy stats but at this point he's a shell of himself.
Not a defense of that at all.  In fact I agreed with you that he has lost a step.  I was trying to make a case that he is still useful despite his decline.  

I do however think "can't run" is a bit overstated.  He's not burning any young corners these days, but he can still outrun a LB which works in the slot.  

Free agent WR Jordy Nelson is retiring from the NFL after 11 seasons.

Nelson turns 34 in May. The former 36th overall pick out of Kansas State in 2008, Nelson spent the first 10 years of his career by Aaron Rodgers' side in Green Bay before ending it with a forgettable one season with Derek Carr last year. A premier touchdown scorer, Nelson had three double-digit touchdown seasons, scoring 57 of his 72 career touchdowns in a five-season span between 2011-2016, which includes a missed 2015 campaign. Nelson won Comeback Player of the Year in 2016 and made it to one Pro Bowl. He could be destined for the Packers' Ring of Honor.

RELATED: 

Green Bay Packers

, Oakland Raiders

SOURCE: James Jones on Twitter

Mar 27, 2019, 8:50 AM

I'm a Packer fan so appreciate what Jordy did for the club and he was a very good player but even if he hadn't started out behind Driver and Jennings I don't think he would have been a hall of fame player. He maybe would have cracked 10,000 yards which is nice. I was just looking at his statistics over on pro reference and if I am reading it correctly he was a pro bowl WR only 1 time? If that is correct that is quite surprising for a very good WR for several years.

Great player and all around guy.  Would spend time off working on his family's farm.  Have some friends that know his family in Kansas and can't say enough nice things about he and his family.

The chemistry he and Rodgers has was fun to watch.

safe drop in dynasty?
I think so. Even if he would change his mind (which I think is unlikely) he is a very replaceable WR at this point in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back home and farms or something. I was trying to think of another WR that had similar numbers and I come up with Marques Colston. Both were very solid WR.

Retired free agent Jordy Nelson admitted "it would probably be hard to say no" if the Packers asked him to come out of retirement.

The soon-to-be 34-year-old (next month) announced his retirement last week after his release from the Raiders. The Packers always made sense as a potential fit due to his long history with the team and relationship with Aaron Rodgers. But Green Bay appears content for now with Davante Adams and Geronimo Allison atop the depth chart with youngsters Equanimeous St. Brown, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jake Kumerow, and J'Mon Moore behind them. Nelson will likely be on the Packers' phone list if an injury occurs.

RELATED: 

Green Bay Packers

SOURCE: Andrew Perloff on Twitter

Apr 3, 2019, 8:52 AM

Jordy Nelson retired as a Packer on Sunday.

The Packers signed him to a one-day contract, allowing him to retire with the team he spent most of his career with. Nelson amassed 7,848 receiving yards during his decade-long stint in Green Bay, good for fifth-most in franchise history. The one-time Pro Bowler compiled a 63-719-3 line as a Raider last year.

SOURCE: Green Bay Packers on Twitter

Aug 4, 2019, 11:44 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread