What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordy Nelson (5 Viewers)

Phenomena said:
Adam Harstad said:
cstu said:
lod01 said:
sho nuff said:
Don't see him getting a 10 mil per type deal.

Just don't see TT paying an older WR that type of money.
Major sell high red alert unless Cobb wants more. He will go the way of Greg Jennings and former Bronco Eric Decker if he leaves the Pack. From stud WR to bum.
The Packers offered Jennings $8M a year but he decided to chase the money. If Nelson is smart he comes to an agreement that keeps him in GB, even if it's a little less than $10M.
Though in fairness, the cap has gone up $10m since then, and it's projected to make HUGE gains in the next year or two. So $10m in today's financial environment probably isn't too far off from $8m last year.
Cap may increase but TT isn't giving a WR $10M/year. Brady won three super bowls with no name WRs. It's the QB and o-line that matters.
I think he might give a WR that much...if a WR comes out in his first 4 years doing this and is young.

Without some of the injury questions, I think he would have given Cobb something like that to keep a young WR around and lock him up for 4-5 years.

The problem with that, 2-3 years in a WR wants more money.

Prior to his contract year, the Packers actually offered Jennings $11 mil a year. He told them not to talk to him until it was $15 mil. Then he had an injury plagued year and the offer went down. So yeah, they'll pay for an elite WR.

I'd actually be very surprised if they don't re-sign Jordy, and I don't think his contract demands are far off. Assuming they roll in the 3.5 million he's due this year into the deal to make it a 4 year 33.5 million deal, I think they do it, or something close to it. He's worth that, IMO.

I also think they are close with Jordy. Probably ends up 8.x or 9.x million a year with a new contract before week 1.
I could see them giving Jordy near $10M avg annually as long as it's backloaded and only for another three years. He's 29 and has one year left on his deal. So he'll be 30 and you're going to extend him near the top of WR money in his decline phase? I don't get it.

I would rather pay Cobb $8M/year at this point than Jordy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think they are close with Jordy. Probably ends up 8.x or 9.x million a year with a new contract before week 1.
I could see them giving Jordy near $10M avg annually as long as it's backloaded and only for another three years. He's 29 and has one year left on his deal. So he'll be 30 and you're going to extend him near the top of WR money in his decline phase? I don't get it.

I have mentioned it before in a few other threads, but Cobb has to stay healthy and play out the year to get the kind of contract extension he wants. Three years of production under his belt, 25 for 375, 80 and 954 in 2012, and then last year was 31 for 433. No one pays big time money for those numbers. I think he is a big time player, but he could also be Amendola-like when it comes to injuries.

I have mentioned it before in a few other threads, but Cobb has to stay healthy and play out the year to get the kind of contract extension he wants. Three years of production under his belt, 25 for 375, 80 and 954 in 2012, and then last year was 31 for 433. No one pays big time money for those numbers. I think he is a big time player, but he could also be Amendola-like when it comes to injuries.
I see your point, but he shouldn't get paid for past results, anyway. Contracts are based on expected future production.

I see your point, but he shouldn't get paid for past results, anyway. Contracts are based on expected future production.
The Packers plan on giving him all he can handle this year in terms of targets. Cobb should be extremely happy with having a top 3 QB in the league and an opportunity to prove himself. A new contract will play out in the offseason depending on how he handles those targets this year.

cstu said:
lod01 said:
sho nuff said:

Major sell high red alert unless Cobb wants more. He will go the way of Greg Jennings and former Bronco Eric Decker if he leaves the Pack. From stud WR to bum.
The Packers offered Jennings $8M a year but he decided to chase the money. If Nelson is smart he comes to an agreement that keeps him in GB, even if it's a little less than $10M.
Why is taking less money to stay with the Packers smart?

How old is Jordy? 30? This is probably his last big money contract

He already has a Super Bowl ring

cstu said:
lod01 said:
sho nuff said:

How old is Jordy? 30? This is probably his last big money contract

Because what Jennings got was not much more money* and the Packers are the best situation a WR could ask for.

*His Vikings contract is basically 2 years/$17.8M guaranteed ($8.9M a year). It would be like the Packers giving Nelson right now a 3 year/$21.3M guaranteed deal. Jennings screwed up, no doubt about it in my mind.

cstu said:
lod01 said:
sho nuff said:

Why is taking less money to stay with the Packers smart?How old is Jordy? 30? This is probably his last big money contract

Because what Jennings got was not much more money* and the Packers are the best situation a WR could ask for.

*His Vikings contract is basically 2 years/$17.8M guaranteed ($8.9M a year). It would be like the Packers giving Nelson right now a 3 year/$21.3M guaranteed deal. Jennings screwed up, no doubt about it in my mind.
Depends on Jennings' personal priorities. Some guys would rather win, some care about individual accolades, some just want as much $$$ as they can get, some like the challenge of helping turn a team around, some base it off of where they want to live, etc. Saying Jennings definitely screwed up is way too strong IMO when we really can't ever know everything that went into his individual decision making process.

cstu said:
lod01 said:
sho nuff said:

Aaron Rodgers and they are usually a playoff contender.

cstu said:
lod01 said:
sho nuff said:

Why is taking less money to stay with the Packers smart?How old is Jordy? 30? This is probably his last big money contract

Depends on Jennings' personal priorities. Some guys would rather win, some care about individual accolades, some just want as much $$$ as they can get, some like the challenge of helping turn a team around, some base it off of where they want to live, etc. Saying Jennings definitely screwed up is way too strong IMO when we really can't ever know everything that went into his individual decision making process.
What I'm saying is that Jennings did not get more money by leaving. Had he renegotiated his contract during his final season in GB he would have made more there than he will with the Vikings. Now if he simply preferred living in Minnesota or liked the idea of turning the Vikings around then those are legitimate reasons to leave, money isn't.

Jennings definitely over-estimated his worth the year before he became a free agent. I think he saw the contract Vincent Jackson signed and assumed he'd get more than that. That said, it certainly doesn't seem like he wanted to be there anymore based on a lot of the things he said during that time.

As for Nelson, he was a bargain for the Packers for several years and never held out for more money. I don't think you can ask him to leave any money on the table this time. It's his last shot at a big contract. He just turned 29 and should be productive still for the 3 or 4 years of the proposed contract. Pay the man.

Vic made a good point the other day after he saw some of Jordy's 2014 highlight reel catches. He said that most of Jordy's great catches were not only thrown by Rodgers but placed in the only area where only Jordy could catch it.

Now, Jordy has excellent body control and possesses the physical ability to separate, but those two traits alone aren't worth $10M/year. If he was on the bottom half of NFL teams he wouldn't have more than 65/1000 yearly. It depends on how TT views the situation. We all know Jordy was grossly underpaid for several years. Since he was a team player about it, and if he's worth $8M/year going forward, maybe TT tacks on another million or two for his historical performance/attitude. I could see that happening. But let's not pretend he's actually worth $10M/year going forward.

Aaron Rodgers and they are usually a playoff contender.
Aaron Rodgers is a good reason for a guy looking for a future big payday to take less. He's a good reason for a guy who's already been paid but is chasing the promised land to take less. He's a terrible reason for a guy in Jordy's shoes to take less, unless he prefers the back of his football card to his family and his life.

Vic made a good point the other day after he saw some of Jordy's 2014 highlight reel catches. He said that most of Jordy's great catches were not only thrown by Rodgers but placed in the only area where only Jordy could catch it.

Now, Jordy has excellent body control and possesses the physical ability to separate, but those two traits alone aren't worth $10M/year. If he was on the bottom half of NFL teams he wouldn't have more than 65/1000 yearly. It depends on how TT views the situation. We all know Jordy was grossly underpaid for several years. Since he was a team player about it, and if he's worth $8M/year going forward, maybe TT tacks on another million or two for his historical performance/attitude. I could see that happening. But let's not pretend he's actually worth $10M/year going forward.
I don't know who Vic is but I disagree for now. Is there a video breakdown that illustrates his point? What does it even mean that the balls were in areas where only Jordy could catch it? That he never outfought or outjumped a DB for a ball? Or just not on one of his "highlight reel" catches? Limiting it to highlight reel catches seems like an easy way to manipulate data to ignore most of the data set. How many of those highlight reel catches involved Jordy blowing past or putting double moves on #1 DBs to get wide open?

Sure Jordy is better with Rodgers but who wouldn't be? Nelson caught 72.2% of his targets with Rodgers, good for 4th in the league, and had 16.6 YPR. With Matt Flynn, Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzien he dropped all the way down to 63.2% which was 19th best over that time frame and 14.0 YPR. Did those three manage to throw balls to places where only Jordy could catch them? Big drop but 1) who wouldn't experience such a big drop under those circumstances and 2) the list of WRs ahead of him wouldn't really impress anyone. A couple marquee WRs but not exactly a murderer's row of WR talent.

TY Hilton

Pierre Garcon

Nate Washington

Doug Baldwin

Marques Colston

Kendall Wright

Golden Tate

Emmanuel Sanders

Larry Fitzgerlad

Roddy White

Keenan Allen

Anquan Boldin

Julian Edelman

Greg Jennings

Ace Sanders

DeSean Jackson

Danny Amendola

Lance Moore

What is notable to me is names like Dez Bryant (57.1%, 12.3), Calvin Johnson (48.1%, 18.1), AJ Green (57.1%, 13.1), Brandon Marshall (55.8%, 14.2) and all of Peyton Manning's WRs are below Nelson (Demaryius Thomas 56.7%, 16.6, Eric Decker 60.7%, 16.0).

Nelson is no Josh Gordon in terms of talent but it seems to me that he performed darn well with pretty much a bottom 3 QB situation from weeks 9-15.

Jordy took a long time to develop but he has prototypical WR #1 size (6'3" 215 lbs) and I don't know what his 40 time is but he has TDs of 80, 93, 73 & 76 yards during the last four seasons to go along with his 15.2 career YPR. He is more than just someone who catches balls thrown in places where only he can catch them. He seems like a guy with the kind of speed and hands that defensive coordinators have to game plan for.

Resigned. 4 years 39 million, 14.2 guaranteed. Now will they have enough to bring back Cobb?
Interesting...would like to see the true structure of this. Surface gives him close to the 10 million per that he wanted. Guessing reality is its more like 8.

Glad he is coming back...hoping they can get Cobb done too.

Resigned. 4 years 39 million, 14.2 guaranteed. Now will they have enough to bring back Cobb?
Interesting...would like to see the true structure of this. Surface gives him close to the 10 million per that he wanted. Guessing reality is its more like 8.

It's an extension though, so he's still making way below his worth this year and then the extension hits. I think it's around 8.5 per year averaged together. However, if his play drops off, they can release him in 2017 with no cap hit(so it appears).

It's an extension though, so he's still making way below his worth this year and then the extension hits. I think it's around 8.5 per year averaged together. However, if his play drops off, they can release him in 2017 with no cap hit(so it appears).
Yeah...I misread some things and looking at it...I would say then it will drop closer to a true 7-7.5 million per when we get all the details (as they always inflate the first reports based on the total they could earn if they meet everything).

Good for Jordy. Is there a reason both Cobb and Nelson cannot flourish in this system and both be paid around $8-$10m a season?
Look at Aaron Rodgers, Clay Mathews, Sam Sheilds contracts

Then look at the Packers Free Agents after the season: Bulaga, Raji, Tramon Williams, J. Bush, House, Barclay, Boykin(restricted).

Next look at the Packers 2014 draft: Davante Adams, Jared Abredarius, Jeff Janis

Draw your own conclusions, but I don't see Cobb back unless they want to hurt the team in other areas.

If Bahktiari shows improvement...they get anything out of Sherrod or any of the younger guys looks ok in preseason..Bulaga will have to have a huge and healthy year to be resigned over Cobb.

Agree on Raji...I think he may make decent money next year, not seeing it being in GB.

Good for Jordy. Is there a reason both Cobb and Nelson cannot flourish in this system and both be paid around $8-$10m a season?

Then look at the Packers Free Agents after the season: Bulaga, Raji, Tramon Williams, J. Bush, House, Barclay, Boykin(restricted).

Next look at the Packers 2014 draft: Davante Adams, Jared Abredarius, Jeff Janis

Draw your own conclusions, but I don't see Cobb back unless they want to hurt the team in other areas.
Bulaga may be the only one of that group resigned.

Maybe House.

Bush and Williams and Raji and Barclay gone (Barclay may be resigned by very cheap).

Boykin is playing now for a chance to sign elsewhere. With the guys they keep drafting...he may be getting pushed down further as this year goes down as it is.

Jennings severely damaged his exposure and his likeability, two things worth money. You notice he lost his Old Spice commercials, and is no longer sought out for sports shows. He is slipping from the national consciousness. His after football life, which could arise sooner than he thinks given his contract numbers and production, which are out of whack, will now depend on his intelligence rather than his associations. That is not a good place for Greg Jennings to be.

Jordy owners happy...Cobb owners not so much.
With Bulaga, Raji, etc set to be free agents as well, I don't think Cobb will be back.
Raj I has no bearing on this discussion. He will not be back. TT might have to make a difficult decision on Cobb vs bulaga. Easy call. Bulaga isn't remotely special.
I know Raji had a poor 2013 season, but who else do they have to play the nose?

You want to choose Cobb over Bulaga. Okay, Packers line up Nelson/Cobb/Adams/Boykin at WR.

Lets look at the OL:

LT= 2013 4th round rookie at LT that showed some promise in pass pro but is a bad run blocker. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/09/rookies-in-focus-david-bakhtiari/

LG= Sitton is a pro bowler

C= They've let their starting Center leave two years in row and are lining up a new center again in JC Tretter

RG= Lang is an average OG in the NFL

RT= Bulaga has been solid when he's played, but he's shown a lot of injuries. You don't want him back, well Newhouse was a disaster last year and he's gone. Barclay is the next guy up and he's a free agent next year.

Basically GB's OL is Sitton/Lang, a raw LT that is developing, and 2 open spots at C and RT. But you want another weapon for Rodgers? Hasn't Rodgers shown he can improve WRs games no matter who he has?

Maybe House.

Bush and Williams and Raji and Barclay gone (Barclay may be resigned by very cheap).

Boykin is playing now for a chance to sign elsewhere. With the guys they keep drafting...he may be getting pushed down further as this year goes down as it is.
Who plays CB next year if the #2, #4, #5 are gone(that's if Heyward stays healthy)? Nose Tackle?

C will hopefully be fine between Tretter and newly drafted Linsley.

People forget Sherrod at T because of the long comeback from that leg injury. Talent and body is there...if he is fully healthy now (and I have not seen anything about him not being healthy)...he should give them some competition at T.

I like Bulaga...but seems like a little above average to average T when he is healthy..he still has some to prove to earn a contract (of course...Cobb does too but could see them resigning him now over Bulaga easily).

People forget Sherrod at T because of the long comeback from that leg injury. Talent and body is there...if he is fully healthy now (and I have not seen anything about him not being healthy)...he should give them some competition at T.

I like Bulaga...but seems like a little above average to average T when he is healthy..he still has some to prove to earn a contract (of course...Cobb does too but could see them resigning him now over Bulaga easily).
I'm just saying i'd invest in the OL before WR when they just resigned Nelson and drafted the 3 guys.

Didn't GB decline the 5th year option on Sherrod? Making him a UFA after the season as well...

Maybe House.

Who plays CB next year if the #2, #4, #5 are gone(that's if Heyward stays healthy)? Nose Tackle?
CB Shieds, Heyward, Hyde (not sure I see him sticking at S unless they do get rid of Burnett...they drafted HaHa for a reason).

House needs to show more than just being good in OTAs...he could be back, but it won't cost a ton given what he has done so far.

I don't see Tramon ever being resigned at his age....and not for anything close to what he is making now.

I'm just saying i'd invest in the OL before WR when they just resigned Nelson and drafted the 3 guys.

Didn't GB decline the 5th year option on Sherrod? Making him a UFA after the season as well...
Do you think Sherrod will command high dollar on any market next year?

I think there is room for Bulaga and Cobb on this team within the cap...given some of the money that will come off next year (like Tramon's 5.9 million, Raji's 4 million...)

Maybe House.

CB Shieds, Heyward, Hyde (not sure I see him sticking at S unless they do get rid of Burnett...they drafted HaHa for a reason).

House needs to show more than just being good in OTAs...he could be back, but it won't cost a ton given what he has done so far.

I don't see Tramon ever being resigned at his age....and not for anything close to what he is making now.
I agree that Tramon is overpaid(paid on that 2010 run basically), but I see Heyward as more of a nickel guy(maybe i'm wrong).

Do you think Sherrod will command high dollar on any market next year?

I think there is room for Bulaga and Cobb on this team within the cap...given some of the money that will come off next year (like Tramon's 5.9 million, Raji's 4 million...)
What would make Sherrod come back?

It's certainly possible, to lock them both up.

2015:

Rodgers=18.25

Mathews=12.7

Sheilds=9.2

Peppers=12(likely cut)

Nelson=9

Sitton 6.75

Lang= 5.8

Without adding in Peppers that's 61.7 million for 6 players.

Add in: Burnett/Brad Jones/Hawk/M. Neal=19.75

That's 80.95 million for 10 players.

Put Cobb at 8 million(being generous) and Bulaga at 8(less than Brandon Albert's deal)

Now it's 97 million for 12 players(QB, WR/WR, LG/RG/RT, OLB/ILB/ILB, CB/S).

That leaves 36 million for the rest of the team(the cap will probably increase). I know that rookies are cheap, but i'm just saying it might be hard in the future.

Bulaga has shown nothing to earn an 8 mil per type deal. Not even close.

Sherrod is more of the backup plan to them if they can't figure out Bulaga or if he gets hurt.

Sherrod is more of the backup plan to them if they can't figure out Bulaga or if he gets hurt.
Thanks for looking at the point of my post. I'm done putting in time to research this debate now.

Thanks for looking at the point of my post. I'm done putting in time to research this debate now.
Hard to look at the point of your post when you project something like 8 million to a guy like Bulaga.

Nobody is saying there won't be question marks in doing so...but letting a young talented kid like Cobb go for nothing does not appear to be something Ted Thompson does or will do.

Well deserved. Nelson is hugely under-rated. He's top shelf -- the guy's production per target metrics have been insane for years.
In fairness, every Green Bay WR has insane production-per-target metrics. The top three receivers in fantasy points per target over the last three years are Jordy, Randall, and James Jones.

With that said, Jordy Nelson is probably the most quietly great receiver in the NFL and is easily worth $10m a year.

Interested to see how his contract breaks down since it works out to 3 years/$35.5M with $10.7M guaranteed when you exclude his $3.5M salary this year.

Hopefully for Nelson owners it's not backloaded.

Aaron Rodgers is a good reason for a guy looking for a future big payday to take less. He's a good reason for a guy who's already been paid but is chasing the promised land to take less. He's a terrible reason for a guy in Jordy's shoes to take less, unless he prefers the back of his football card to his family and his life.
lol what?

His family and his life will suffer if he doesn't get more money than he has already made or would continue to make with Green Bay?

I didn't realize you had the inside scoop here. Just how many millions of dollars per year are required for Nelson's family and life to not be garbage?

Maybe House.

As an edit on Barclay...he may not be as cheap as I thought. Forgot that they are liking how they can move him around.

Whether that is a good thing or not to people...who knows. But in the past, they have liked to have versatile guys.

They had him playing RG for Lang yesterday and McCarthy praised him for his ability to play all over the line if needed.

Barring injury and great play...he still is not likely to be some hot commodity or high priced at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol what?

His family and his life will suffer if he doesn't get more money than he has already made or would continue to make with Green Bay?

I didn't realize you had the inside scoop here. Just how many millions of dollars per year are required for Nelson's family and life to not be garbage?
:confused:

That made no sense whatsoever. It was his last chance at the big contract. He's already put up stats. He's already got the ring. What incentive does he have to say no to the big reward? Versus what incentive did he have to gratefully accept it?

Certainly not continuing down the road of this stupid argument, since Jordy and the Pack already proved me right. Happy trails.

sho nuff said:
If Bahktiari shows improvement...they get anything out of Sherrod or any of the younger guys looks ok in preseason..Bulaga will have to have a huge and healthy year to be resigned over Cobb.

Agree on Raji...I think he may make decent money next year, not seeing it being in GB.
Agreed. If Cobb stays healthy this year he will be a monster and is a homerun hitter. You don't let HR hitters walk in the pass happy NFL. Cobb will be a huge priority next off-season. I expect GB to resign him.

Users who are viewing this thread