What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (1 Viewer)

About an hour and six minutes after Schefter broke the news on twitter, I got an email forwarded to me by ponchsox. Some of you need to befriend those who get FBG breaking news emails. :thumbup:

FBG asleep at the wheel here? Looking for fantasy advice and silence....
A lot of them are posting advice on Twitter right now.
I subscribe to FBGs. I don't subscribe to twitter.
they sent out an email
About 30min after the news broke and these guys were added in all leagues.

Thanks for caring more about twitter followers than subscribers, FBG :rolleyes:
Who still plays in leagues without blind blind bidding for waivers?
Waivers processed this morning for most leagues. So the answer to your question is "almost everyone"

RB shelf life is about 20 minutes in the NFL to begin with, which is why I can't understand for the life of me why a GM would ever take one in the first round...much less the top 10. But getting a first rounder in return for a prior regimes mistakes isn't the worst deal in the world.
Yeah, the Colts doing this is pretty shocking to me. I don't think it's the worst deal in the world, but I don't think it was smart one (though, I agree, Richardson should put up nice numbers in Indy).

Browns were big winners though, imo.

I'd love to know how many NFL GMs would've made this deal in a similar circumstance. I can't imagine any of the better run teams would've done it. I feel certain Marty Hurney would've been among the more likely candidates to do it though. Al Davis would've jumped at the chance.

It's a great move to get the fans excited and tell them you want to win now, but well run teams don't have any need to make a bad trade to sell that message.

Last edited by a moderator:
The teams that you think are good/bad at drafting are almost never as good/bad as you think.

They actually just sucking at finding a QB, much like every other team that sucks for a long time.

Besides, they have a new Front Office.
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss...

This reeks of something being wrong with Richardson
No, actually it reeks of something being really wrong with Weeden. Can't wait until the medical reports come out in a few days indicating he's gone for 8 games or more.

This is as blatant a case of throwing in the towel as I've seen in a long time.
Star plays aren't just given away. They saw a deal they couldn't pass up and it was for one draft pick. I'm thinking us fantasy guys had a much higher opinion of Trent then real life people.
Real life people drafted him third overall.
No, it was the Browns former regime that did that. It wasn't real life people.

Pathetic franchise :X
Yeah, I expected more of the Colts.
We get it. You're trolling. Give it a rest.
Call it what you like. It just shocking to me that anybody could think the Browns screwed up here.

Trent's a nice RB, but very few RB's are worth a 1st round pick.
You have to go all the way back to 2012 to find any (3) teams using a first round pick on a RB.

This reeks of something being wrong with Richardson
No, actually it reeks of something being really wrong with Weeden. Can't wait until the medical reports come out in a few days indicating he's gone for 8 games or more.

This is as blatant a case of throwing in the towel as I've seen in a long time.
Star plays aren't just given away. They saw a deal they couldn't pass up and it was for one draft pick. I'm thinking us fantasy guys had a much higher opinion of Trent then real life people.
Real life people drafted him third overall.
No, it was the Browns former regime that did that. It wasn't real life people.
He was going to go in the top 10 to somebody.

Call it what you like. It just shocking to me that anybody could think the Browns screwed up here.

You have to go all the way back to 2012 to find any (3) teams using a first round pick on a RB.
doug martin seemed to work pretty well.

how about wilson and richardson?

Teams seem to be getting smarter about it, and they do tend to go lower than they used to. Like 2012, except for one of the most poorly run franchises burning the #3 pick on one.

Got in late. Let's explore this theory. What if Browns owner Jimmy Haslam is in BIG trouble with the Feds. Like, they've got the dirt on him and he knows he is going to prison. The NFL has already decided to force Haslam to sell the team but not made it public yet. Typically when teams get sold, they have a fire sale, dumping all big contracts so the owner can save a few millions in his final year before selling the team.

Do the Colts pick up his salary now?

In this scenario, Joe Thomas and Joe Haden are probably also on the trading block as they cut salary all over the place.

Haslam ordering a fire sale and selling the team also explains why they are $25 million under the cap yet made the puzzling (at the time) move of letting Phil Dawson walk and not finding a replacement until the last second when they grabbed Cundiff cheap. Was that about saving money?

Browns fans feel bad now. Imagine if this is the first step towards selling the Browns to an ownership group in LA. Haslam promised to change the uniforms. Maybe as part of the move?

EHRMAHGERD said:
Ignoratio Elenchi said:
jurb26 said:
Why is anyone waiting or relying on FBG for breaking news when there are several apps on mobile devices that are far faster and reliable?
Not the point.

Why Subscribe?

5. BREAKING NEWS EMAIL UPDATES

One of the features subscribers continually tell us is the most useful is our Breaking News Email Updates. When you have our staff of 40+ guys, plus a network of thousands of contacts across the country, it's a fantastic "grapevine" for obtaining news and insights.

When the local radio announces Peyton Manning tweaked a hamstring in practice 10 minutes ago, you'll know about it with a Footballguys Breaking News Email. It's like being plugged into the world's best information network. Our readers will consistently be aware of breaking news.
Screw this... you guys are turning a huge NFL trade into a complaint against Football Guys because you didn't get an e-mail. A) get a twitter account. B) take a brake from Magical Football once and a while and enjoy real live football C) Don't be that Guy.
This is akin to going to McDonald's and ordering a value meal, not receiving fries, and (legitimately) complaining about not receiving fries, and some ##### in the dining room piping up about them having fries at Burger King.

Touchdown There said:
Banger said:
Now the colts need to trade Bradshaw for a 5th to the giants.
And there it is. You are a Bradshaw guy still chapped that he was released by the Giants. Now all your anti-Wilson posts make sense.
Not at all. The giants/TC obviously have issues with Wilson. I always just questioned whether or not TC trusted him. I wasnt as sure as so many were and so far I've been right. Don't hate Wilson at all, just posting about the situation the way I view it. I tried to trade for Wilson this week on the cheap. I just think Bradshaw>>>>>Jacobs/Scott and he knows the system (which is why the shell of a football player Jacobs was signed). Hijack over.

Riversco said:
Got in late. Let's explore this theory. What if Browns owner Jimmy Haslam is in BIG trouble with the Feds. Like, they've got the dirt on him and he knows he is going to prison. The NFL has already decided to force Haslam to sell the team but not made it public yet. Typically when teams get sold, they have a fire sale, dumping all big contracts so the owner can save a few millions in his final year before selling the team.

Do the Colts pick up his salary now?

In this scenario, Joe Thomas and Joe Haden are probably also on the trading block as they cut salary all over the place.

Haslam ordering a fire sale and selling the team also explains why they are $25 million under the cap yet made the puzzling (at the time) move of letting Phil Dawson walk and not finding a replacement until the last second when they grabbed Cundiff cheap. Was that about saving money?

Browns fans feel bad now. Imagine if this is the first step towards selling the Browns to an ownership group in LA. Haslam promised to change the uniforms. Maybe as part of the move?
That's another factor that makes it great for Colts - the Browns take the hit for his signing bonus, leaving the Colts to pay him an average of $2.5M per year.

Ace08 said:
RB shelf life is about 20 minutes in the NFL to begin with, which is why I can't understand for the life of me why a GM would ever take one in the first round...much less the top 10. But getting a first rounder in return for a prior regimes mistakes isn't the worst deal in the world.
Since rookie contracts are now fairly reasonable and last for only four to five years, wouldn't it make perfect sense to draft a top talent at RB and use him up? You can sign other positions that have a longer shelf life in free agency.

Another possibility is that just the legal bills Haslam is facing could force him to have a fire sale. Forbes article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/09/18/did-browns-trade-trent-richardson-because-of-haslams-legal-problems-at-pilot-flying-j/

Did Browns Trade Trent Richardson Because Of Haslam's Legal Problems At Pilot Flying J?
The Browns have traded their 2012 overall number three draft pick, running back Trent Richardson, to the Indianapolis Colts for Indy’s first pick in 2014. Richardson played for the University of Alabama and was the star back on the Crimson Tide’s 2011 national championship team.

Richardson had played well given the how pathetic the Browns are and is among the few, if perhaps only, up and coming stars on the team. But he but commands a high wage. Richardson’s fully-guaranteed deal is worth $20.5 million over the four years, with a $13.3 signing bonus. He also has no offset language, which means he’ll receive the whole $20.5 million even if he signs with another team before the four years are up.

Which begs the question: Was the trade the result of the legal mess majority owner Jimmy Haslam’s truck stop company, Pilot Flying J , is entangled in? Some estimates the law suits Pilot Flying J faces could be quite expensive, and despite Haslam vowing he will not lose control of the team, plans have already been put in place for his 82 year old father to run the Browns should his son not be able to as a result of his company’s legal problems. Earlier this summer Haslam sold his ownership of a minor league baseball team.

A year ago Haslam, who a the time was a minority investor in the Pittsburgh Steelers, paid $987 million to buy the Browns from Randy Lerner, and vowed to be a hands-on owner. Perhaps too hands on?

Shutout said:
I don't think this is as slam dunk for trich as people are saying. Teams with GREAT qbs, and I think Luck is on that path, don't build their teams around what a RB will bring to the table. The RB benefits from Rodgers or Bree's, not the other way around.

At best, I see this as a sjax to Atlanta in the best case scenario but definitely not as good as even a few months ago when people were drooling that trich would get a ton of carries in Cleveland and be the focal point. The colts want a power running game. Don't misinterpret that for "we want to run all the time". They just want a physical and reliable player that can clinch games and move the chains, not some guy that they are going to waste all their offensive talent behind and just sit back and hand it to all day.

I think this move solidifies trich in the sense that he is probably now a safer top 10 guy but in no way do I see it as it makes him a better ff play (like, he's now a top 3-4 RB).
No.

This is a huge upgrade for Richardson. In Cleveland, Trent was the only viable offensive weapon, and defenses knew that. Richardson had very little room to run. In Indy, Richardson is going to be startled at the huge running lanes he's going to see. Obviously, the Colts aren't going to revert to a grind it out running team. But we know that Indy wants to have a solid running game.

Richardson just went from being a wasted talent on a bad team to a fantastic offense that will use him early and often.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
e-mail is the new snail mail
This. If you're serious about fantasy football and not following Schefter on twitter (or even just Sirius XM Fantasy's twitter.. or Sigmund) then you're just going to have to accept that you're going to get the news late.

Even if you don't have a smartphone you can have a twitter and have limited important people like Schefter's tweets sent to you via SMS on your DUMBphone.

All of this is faster than someone who has to take the information and then craft an e-mail.

EHRMAHGERD said:
Ignoratio Elenchi said:
jurb26 said:
Why is anyone waiting or relying on FBG for breaking news when there are several apps on mobile devices that are far faster and reliable?
Not the point.

Why Subscribe?

One of the features subscribers continually tell us is the most useful is our Breaking News Email Updates. When you have our staff of 40+ guys, plus a network of thousands of contacts across the country, it's a fantastic "grapevine" for obtaining news and insights.

When the local radio announces Peyton Manning tweaked a hamstring in practice 10 minutes ago, you'll know about it with a Footballguys Breaking News Email. It's like being plugged into the world's best information network. Our readers will consistently be aware of breaking news.
Screw this... you guys are turning a huge NFL trade into a complaint against Football Guys because you didn't get an e-mail. A) get a twitter account. B) take a brake from Magical Football once and a while and enjoy real live football C) Don't be that Guy.
This is akin to going to McDonald's and ordering a value meal, not receiving fries, and (legitimately) complaining about not receiving fries, and some ##### in the dining room piping up about them having fries at Burger King.
Or buying an expensive steak dinner, receiving the steak over-cooked and nasty, and then some random schlub saying "You should be happy, you're eating steak!"

Well, I paid for medium rare. Just like I paid for "Breaking" news updates. Not outdated, cold, overcooked updates over an hour after they "broke"

I don't blame FBG for emailing us over an hour later. I blame them for spamming twitter about the trade for an hour before they bothered to let us know the deal-io.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
e-mail is the new snail mail
This. If you're serious about fantasy football and not following Schefter on twitter (or even just Sirius XM Fantasy's twitter.. or Sigmund) then you're just going to have to accept that you're going to get the news late.

Even if you don't have a smartphone you can have a twitter and have limited important people like Schefter's tweets sent to you via SMS on your DUMBphone.

All of this is faster than someone who has to take the information and then craft an e-mail.
Emails take 30 seconds to craft. This took over an hour. Email itself isn't the problem.

Touchdown There said:
Banger said:
Now the colts need to trade Bradshaw for a 5th to the giants.
And there it is. You are a Bradshaw guy still chapped that he was released by the Giants. Now all your anti-Wilson posts make sense.
Not at all. The giants/TC obviously have issues with Wilson. I always just questioned whether or not TC trusted him. I wasnt as sure as so many were and so far I've been right. Don't hate Wilson at all, just posting about the situation the way I view it. I tried to trade for Wilson this week on the cheap. I just think Bradshaw>>>>>Jacobs/Scott and he knows the system (which is why the shell of a football player Jacobs was signed).Hijack over.
Whatever

Ace08 said:
Since rookie contracts are now fairly reasonable and last for only four to five years, wouldn't it make perfect sense to draft a top talent at RB and use him up? You can sign other positions that have a longer shelf life in free agency.
Exactly.

EHRMAHGERD said:
Ignoratio Elenchi said:
jurb26 said:
Not the point.

Why Subscribe?

Or buying an expensive steak dinner, receiving the steak over-cooked and nasty, and then some random schlub saying "You should be happy, you're eating steak!"

Well, I paid for medium rare. Just like I paid for "Breaking" news updates. Not outdated, cold, overcooked updates over an hour after they "broke"

I don't blame FBG for emailing us over an hour later. I blame them for spamming twitter about the trade for an hour before they bothered to let us know the deal-io.
Or like paying for for a subscription to a fantasy football site and expecting emails when there is breaking news. Good God we get you guys are pissed and probably should be, but enough with the lame ### food analogies and whose analogy can top the last. They are annoying, and I am on a diet and you are making me hungry!!!

Here's my main question - how many picks do the Browns move up in the draft with their regular selection because of this move? True, they have another bullet in the chamber with that last first-round pick but it seemed like they were already heading towards a top-5 draft pick before the trade.

Unless they smartly lose to the Jags to secure #1 overall they are probably not gonna get Bridgewater if that's the guy they have their eye on. The Jags are not going to pass on a QB and aren't going to trade that pick away. I just don't see it.

Taking a moment to hear to think of teams that realistically could be in the same draft range. I don't think the Jets will be quite bad enough. I suppose it's possible that the win last week was the high point for the Raiders so maybe they finish behind the Browns. The Titans and Bills are better than them IMO. I can't see the Redskins or Eagles being below them - never mind the Giants. The Vikings are plausible, I guess, but everyone expects them to take it to the Browns this week. Perhaps this trade puts them beind the Vikes. The Bucs are disfunctional and drafted Glennon. The Panthers are better than their record. I suppose the Cards or Rams could've been tipped to be worse than the Browns before this trade.

Honestly, I think they were a top-5 picking team before this and a top-3 picking team afterwards. I don't think they are going to need that later 1st rounder as fodder to get one of the top QBs in this draft.

Ultimately the value is what can they get in late round 1 and is that really more useful than Richardson. :shrug:

-QG

Ace08 said:
Exactly.
That's one way to go about it.

Or you could use the early rounds of the Draft to build those other positions that, unlike the RB position, are very difficult and crazy expensive to address in free-agency.

Richardson is another Jonathon Stewart...Cleveland realized this and got rid of him before he is out with an injury which will put him on the bench for half the season.

Don't know if Bridgewater is the next big thing, or not, but there's no doubt this deal is all about Cleveland getting a QB in round 1 in 2014. It's an indictment against Weedon, and I don't think it reflects positively or negatively on TRich.

Running an NFL franchise Rule#1: You can't fool yourself into believing that somehow/someway a sucky QB (as in Trent Dilfer) will lead you to the promised land. IT'S VERY, VERY UNLIKELY.

90% of the commissioners who post in the The Assistant Coach forum would be looking to veto this trade.
That would make sense, if real football was like fantasy football and the only value a player had related to how many yards and TD's they accrued with the ball in their hands.

It does sound like a lot view this trade from that angle, so the reaction's starting to make some sense.

Oh and one more thing, people please stop whining about not getting emails and take responsibility a little for running your team(s). Twitter exploded around 6:30 tonight so if you had any presence there you couldn't help but notice it. Email is like waiting for Paul Revere to come tell you the Redcoats are coming! Had enough time to grab Obiwankannobe on waivers 14 minutes before 7pm for our blind bidding deadline. Just saying...FBG can't do everything for everyone and this was out of left field and struck everyone as fake at first. And btw, I am not even a subscriber here anymore just saying let's be reasonable about this folks!

Users who are viewing this thread