What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (2 Viewers)

Wow. We've gone from saying he needs time to learn the playbook to now he sucks because he's had to organize U-Haul trucks and set up new internet service in Indianapolis.

Seriously?

Wow. We've gone from saying he needs time to learn the playbook to now he sucks because he's had to organize U-Haul trucks and set up new internet service in Indianapolis.

Seriously?
It really is silly. They lies people tell themselves."Stupid Comcast! Their cable guy cost me a win last week! Stop distracting Richardson!"

From ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/1764/oc-hamilton-has-hands-full-minus-wayne

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

"I have to do a better job of finding ways to get Trent out in space," Hamilton said. "I have to do a better job coming up with schemes that not only give our offensive line a chance to be successful, but of course create holes for Trent and create schemes that compliment his wealth of talent. That's one of the things that we spent time as an offensive staff looking at during the bye week."
:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
From ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/1764/oc-hamilton-has-hands-full-minus-wayne

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

"I have to do a better job of finding ways to get Trent out in space," Hamilton said. "I have to do a better job coming up with schemes that not only give our offensive line a chance to be successful, but of course create holes for Trent and create schemes that compliment his wealth of talent. That's one of the things that we spent time as an offensive staff looking at during the bye week."
"We need to get this guy out in space" is such a great BS line about underperforming offensive players. "This guy will succeed if we can just make it so that there aren't any people close to him that might tackle him!"

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

"We need to get this guy out in space" is such a great BS line about underperforming offensive players. "This guy will succeed if we can just make it so that there aren't any people close to him that might tackle him!"
or maybe they really do want to use him in more creative ways. I am by no means making excuses for his current lack of production but I think the play calling around his usage could be better. last year in clev he caught over 50 balls so it's worth looking into a little bit.

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

:lol:

Worst thing is Trent looks so slow out there in comparison to Donald Brown to the point it's comical. Of course you don't want to admit that 6-7 weeks after giving a 1st round pick.

Odd every other back has found room to run for Indy this year....but Trent.

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

Worst thing is Trent looks so slow out there in comparison to Donald Brown to the point it's comical. Of course you don't want to admit that 6-7 weeks after giving a 1st round pick.

Odd that the coaching staff is questioning itself regarding the situations they're putting him into as well... coincidence?

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

Odd that the coaching staff is questioning itself regarding the situations they're putting him into as well... coincidence?
Not really. I don't expect them to outright say Trent looks like he's running in mud compared to Donald after management gave up a 1st.

Trent simply hasn't shown any burst whatsoever this season. They can throw out all the coachspeak they want to such as 'getting our [sluggish] power running back in space'. If Trent is going to succeed long term, he's going to do it between the tackles. That's who is he. That's who he'll always be. That's what made him the high pick he was. He isn't a back that's going to make you miss in the open field. If they wanted to put a back in space, they should done it with Donald Brown & signed McGahee as a tackles back off the street.

This week in Houston is going to be telling. WIth a beat up WR group and going against a defense that is #1 in the league vs. the pass and 5th worst YPG against the run. The game plan is obviously going to be to pound the ball.

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

Not really. I don't expect them to outright say Trent looks like he's running in mud compared to Donald after management gave up a 1st.

Trent simply hasn't shown any burst whatsoever this season. They can throw out all the coachspeak they want to such as 'getting our [sluggish] power running back in space'. If Trent is going to succeed long term, he's going to do it between the tackles. That's who is he. That's who he'll always be. That's what made him the high pick he was. He isn't a back that's going to make you miss in the open field. If they wanted to put a back in space, they should done it with Donald Brown & signed McGahee as a tackles back off the street.

This week in Houston is going to be telling. WIth a beat up WR group and going against a defense that is #1 in the league vs. the pass and 5th worst YPG against the run. The game plan is obviously going to be to pound the ball.
I find it convenient that you (among others) are ignoring the most important part of what Hamilton said in the quotes... I agree the space comment is pretty ridiculous, but finding ways to make the blocking better and open up more holes for Richardson and schemes that fit him? Thats what we should be looking at here. This bye was the first time since he was traded mid week that they probably had a chance to sit down and analyze the situation and look at resolutions instead of just pounding the game plan each week. Myself and others felt there was more to it than just Richardson... I think now we're going to get an opportunity to see if that's true.

I also find it odd that people are so quick to dismiss his body of work at Alambama and the fact he was one of the top prospects in the past few years at the RB position, just because he hasn't had a YPC over 3.5 in his first season and a half in the NFL.

I find it convenient that you (among others) are ignoring the most important part of what Hamilton said in the quotes... I agree the space comment is pretty ridiculous, but finding ways to make the blocking better and open up more holes for Richardson and schemes that fit him? Thats what we should be looking at here. This bye was the first time since he was traded mid week that they probably had a chance to sit down and analyze the situation and look at resolutions instead of just pounding the game plan each week. Myself and others felt there was more to it than just Richardson... I think now we're going to get an opportunity to see if that's true.

I also find it odd that people are so quick to dismiss his body of work at Alambama and the fact he was one of the top prospects in the past few years at the RB position, just because he hasn't had a YPC over 3.5 in his first season and a half in the NFL.
What's this world coming to? I am in agreement with a cheesehead. And in BEARS/packers week yet!

What's this world coming to? I am in agreement with a cheesehead. And in BEARS/packers week yet!
:hifive: if you're going to the game Monday, you can tailgate with us! I'll give you a beer, a brat, and some cheese curds! And maybe a hug after you lose.

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

I'm more than certain that finding ways to "block better" and "open up more holes" is part of weekly game planning. This is just more excuse making. The idea that they traded a 1st round pick for a player and then just stuck him in a default offense and were like "we'll deal with how to use him during the bye week!" is silly. He's a power runner, they've run power plays with him. They haven't been successful, in large part because they don't have a power running line. That's not a problem that a bye week is going to fix.

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

I'm more than certain that finding ways to "block better" and "open up more holes" is part of weekly game planning. This is just more excuse making. The idea that they traded a 1st round pick for a player and then just stuck him in a default offense and were like "we'll deal with how to use him during the bye week!" is silly. He's a power runner, they've run power plays with him. They haven't been successful, in large part because they don't have a power running line. That's not a problem that a bye week is going to fix.
There isn't a whole lot of time during the week to look at the line and try to make any drastic changes - they need to plan for the game ahead. I think there is time in a bye to do that and really analyze, address issues, and make changes. A bye week would give them an opportunity to look at the personnel and attempt to make changes that would make that personnel more successful IMO.

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

There isn't a whole lot of time during the week to look at the line and try to make any drastic changes - they need to plan for the game ahead. I think there is time in a bye to do that and really analyze, address issues, and make changes. A bye week would give them an opportunity to look at the personnel and attempt to make changes that would make that personnel more successful IMO.
Okay, so at this point we're hanging our hat on a "drastic" personnel change that is going to significantly change ho the Colts offensive line blocks in such a way that will unlock the huge potential that Trent Richardson has, which is only a right guard benching away.

Gooooooooood luck.

Quoting Pep Hamilton:

Okay, so at this point we're hanging our hat on a "drastic" personnel change that is going to significantly change ho the Colts offensive line blocks in such a way that will unlock the huge potential that Trent Richardson has, which is only a right guard benching away.

Gooooooooood luck.
According to the quote from Hamilton, they're going to try and scheme to make the line more successful as well as Richardson. IMO, it's going to take something drastic... I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it appears that's what they would like to do.

:hifive: if you're going to the game Monday, you can tailgate with us! I'll give you a beer, a brat, and some cheese curds! And maybe a hug after you lose.
Ha, you had me until the hug part. Thanks for the offer, for a cheddar head you're OK! :hifive:

Here's the list of RB's with 400 or more carries in their first two years and less than 4 YPC.

Code:
1	Eddie George	rb	1996--1997	32	692	2767	4.00	14	30	226	7.53	1	389.32	Marcel Shipp	rb	2002--2003	31	416	1664	4.00	6	68	597	8.78	3	280.13	Julius Jones	rb	2004--2005	21	454	1812	3.99	12	52	327	6.29	0	285.94	Antowain Smith	rb	1997--1998	32	494	1964	3.98	16	33	188	5.70	0	311.25	Natrone Means	rb	1993--1994	32	503	1995	3.97	20	49	294	6.00	0	348.96	Marshall Faulk	rb	1994--1995	32	603	2360	3.91	22	108	997	9.23	4	491.77	Willis McGahee	rb	2004--2005	32	609	2375	3.90	18	50	347	6.94	0	380.28	Anthony Thomas	rb	2001--2002	26	492	1904	3.87	13	46	341	7.41	0	302.59	Curtis Martin	rb	1995--1996	32	684	2639	3.86	28	76	594	7.82	4	515.310	Cadill Williams	rb	2005--2006	28	515	1976	3.84	7	50	277	5.54	0	267.311	Kevin Smith	rb	2008--2009	29	455	1723	3.79	12	79	695	8.80	1	319.812	Matt Forte	rb	2008--2009	32	574	2167	3.78	12	120	948	7.90	4	407.513	Ricky Williams	rb	1999--2000	22	501	1884	3.76	10	72	581	8.07	1	312.514	Ron Johnson	rb	1969--1970	28	401	1499	3.74	15	72	651	9.04	4	329.015	Johnny Johnson	rb	1990--1991	29	430	1592	3.70	9	54	466	8.63	2	271.816	John Stephens	rb	1988--1989	30	541	2001	3.70	11	35	305	8.71	0	296.617	Johnny Roland	rb	1966--1967	27	426	1571	3.69	15	41	482	11.76	1	301.318	Ronald Moore	rb	1993--1994	32	495	1798	3.63	13	11	68	6.18	1	270.619	Errict Rhett	rb	1994--1995	32	616	2218	3.60	18	36	229	6.36	0	352.720	Ron Dayne	rb	2000--2001	32	408	1460	3.58	12	11	78	7.09	0	225.821	Rashaan Salaam	rb	1995--1996	28	439	1570	3.58	13	14	100	7.14	1	251.022	Sammie Smith	rb	1989--1990	29	426	1490	3.50	14	18	215	11.94	1	260.523	Karim Ab-Jabbar	rb	1996--1997	32	590	2008	3.40	26	52	400	7.69	1	402.824	Curtis Enis	rb	1998--1999	24	420	1413	3.36	3	51	360	7.06	2	207.3

For Trent to get his career YPC up to Ricky Williams (the lowest for a long-term successful back on the list) he has to average nearly 5 YPC the rest of the season.

If he averages 4 YPC the rest of way it puts him at 4th worst on the list. At 4.5 YPC it puts him at 8th worst.

In other words, if he turns his career around it will be the biggest turnaround by a RB given a heavy load to start their career in NFL history.

We should see an improvement coming off a bye - it's now or never
How many times have I heard that from a Richardson owner the last month.
I'd hope quite a bit. Because if they're somewhat intelligent and can look beyond YPC, it's the truth and they should be saying it.
The truth depends on how intelligent someone is? That's a weird philosophy.
No, not solely intelligence. You may have missed the "and" part.

Try again buddy - you'll get there, just sound out those tough words. Take your time.

I'd hope quite a bit. Because if they're somewhat intelligent and can look beyond YPC, it's the truth and they should be saying it.

Try again buddy - you'll get there, just sound out those tough words. Take your time.

You still don't get it. Don't take your time though, it won't help.

The only reason this guy is starting is because the Colts gave up a first round pick for him.

Right now Donald Brown is clearly the better option for this offense. He is running better but more importantly he is blocking better. One of the sacks in the first half was clearly a missed assignment by TRich.

The offense as a whole functions better with Brown at RB.

The only reason this guy is starting is because the Colts gave up a first round pick for him.

Right now Donald Brown is clearly the better option for this offense. He is running better but more importantly he is blocking better. One of the sacks in the first half was clearly a missed assignment by TRich.

The offense as a whole functions better with Brown at RB.
agreed. trich hurts them in more ways besides the poor rushing. i want to see him click, but it's looking grim these days.

Colts are gonna struggle to score points all season. Didn't have the depth to survive the Dwayne Allen and Reggie Wayne losses.

I see this team limping into the playoffs and getting eliminated immediately.

Time to look ahead to 2014 if you've got Richardson. Very little chance he blows up this season IMO.

Hey - so can you point out the significant personnel and scheme changes that the Colts implemented over the bye week to enable Richardson's greatness to emerge?

What a ####### worthless piece of ####. I'm dumping him for a spare kicker just so I don't have to look at his name on my roster anymore. Eat a #### Trent.

Good trade by the Browns. They let him go because he is nothing special, lucky to get a first from him. The Browns aren't trading Gordon because they think he's something special. My question is what did the Colts see in Richardson to lead them to believe he was the real deal?

Is Trent playing tonight??
Trent is "playing", in the sense that a guy masturbating to porn is playing: he's clearing DOING something, but he is not really involved in the main action.
Is anyone involved on the Colts tonight.

They look atrocious.

As expected......without Wayne this team is in huge trouble.

And T.Rich.......useless to me....just useless.

Monster bust this year.....monster.

Someone tell Michaels you have to go for 2 at some point and make it. I tend to lean towards waiting myself but it's not some big break that they attempted it now, Richardson should have let Luck know he was wide open.

Someone tell Michaels you have to go for 2 at some point and make it. I tend to lean towards waiting myself but it's not some big break that they attempted it now, Richardson should have let Luck know he was wide open.
Luck should have thrown it to Fleener who WAS wide open

Users who are viewing this thread