What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (3 Viewers)

Not good news for Trent owners.

When asked about his running back situation, Colts GM Ryan Grigson said "the best players play."
Grigson wasn't singling out Trent Richardson, he was simply talking up a Seahawks-esque mantra for his entire team. Still, if Vick Ballard (torn ACL) can make it back in time for training camp he'll have a shot to earn carries -- especially if free agent Donald Brown walks. "Iron sharp as iron. We're going to try to have the most competition at each position group and whoever wins that spot is going to be the starter," he said. Ballard has a career 3.91 YPC average while T-Rich was at 2.91 in 14 games with the Colts last season.
I have said it before, I'll say it again look out for Ballard in a 1b role this year. Taking place of Browns role sine won't be coming back. Trent is done we all seen it, call it scheme or being traded, that doesn't at cement blocks to your feet. Whoever RB2 is in Indy, he could be a RB1 before you know it, Ballard, Brown or a Rookie.
I live here in Indy. Ballard will have a substantial role. He kinda endeared himself to fans before he got hurt. Brown has recently become a fan favorite too since he outproduced Richardson. Lots of silly rumors floating about. They even mentioned bringing back Bradshaw if Brown walks. I see it as a typical RBBC. Maybe 60-40 favoring T-Rich. Or if he struggles again, I could see it being something like 20-50-30 (T-Rich-Ballard-Brown/Rookie/FA). If they don't get some help at WR, teams will just stack the box anyway and the running game will struggle yet again. It's not like the O-line is that great either. Now they are talking about Decker maybe getting signed.

Not good news for Trent owners.

When asked about his running back situation, Colts GM Ryan Grigson said "the best players play."
Grigson wasn't singling out Trent Richardson, he was simply talking up a Seahawks-esque mantra for his entire team. Still, if Vick Ballard (torn ACL) can make it back in time for training camp he'll have a shot to earn carries -- especially if free agent Donald Brown walks. "Iron sharp as iron. We're going to try to have the most competition at each position group and whoever wins that spot is going to be the starter," he said. Ballard has a career 3.91 YPC average while T-Rich was at 2.91 in 14 games with the Colts last season.
I have said it before, I'll say it again look out for Ballard in a 1b role this year. Taking place of Browns role sine won't be coming back. Trent is done we all seen it, call it scheme or being traded, that doesn't at cement blocks to your feet. Whoever RB2 is in Indy, he could be a RB1 before you know it, Ballard, Brown or a Rookie.
I live here in Indy. Ballard will have a substantial role. He kinda endeared himself to fans before he got hurt. Brown has recently become a fan favorite too since he outproduced Richardson. Lots of silly rumors floating about. They even mentioned bringing back Bradshaw if Brown walks. I see it as a typical RBBC. Maybe 60-40 favoring T-Rich. Or if he struggles again, I could see it being something like 20-50-30 (T-Rich-Ballard-Brown/Rookie/FA). If they don't get some help at WR, teams will just stack the box anyway and the running game will struggle yet again. It's not like the O-line is that great either. Now they are talking about Decker maybe getting signed.
I don't think that would be silly. He should come cheaply and he's a hell of a runner. Injuries may/will derail him perhaps, but he's worth the risk at the right price. He played well for Indy last season, and he'd be a great mentor for young backs like Ballard and Richardson. Guy has two rings as well.

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson rushed for two yards or fewer on 101 of his 188 carries last season, and was stopped for a loss or no gain 41 times.
That means T-Rich failed to surpass two yards on 53.7 percent of his carries, and was stopped for a loss or no gain 21.8 percent of the time. The numbers encapsulate the true miserableness of Richardson's sophomore campaign. A full breakdown of why Richardson flopped can be found in Patrick Daugherty's "What Went Wrong," accessible at the link below.

Source: What Went Wrong: Trent Richardson

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson rushed for two yards or fewer on 101 of his 188 carries last season, and was stopped for a loss or no gain 41 times.
That means T-Rich failed to surpass two yards on 53.7 percent of his carries, and was stopped for a loss or no gain 21.8 percent of the time. The numbers encapsulate the true miserableness of Richardson's sophomore campaign. A full breakdown of why Richardson flopped can be found in Patrick Daugherty's "What Went Wrong," accessible at the link below.

Source: What Went Wrong: Trent Richardson
Not good at all.

Of course they glamorize his mistakes and the season he got traded MID-WAY THROUGH!!! (Like he never showed signs of greatness or anything with the Browns. smh)

Dudes good.

What went wrong is, NOONE is going to get traded to a new team with a whole new offensive system and put up top 5 numbers OFF THE RIP.
GM said, without Trent, they wouldnt have made it where they did in the playoffs. If you noticed.... When he was in the game, Defenses FOCUSED on him, opening up the pass... knowing he can take it to the house on any play. A full offseason and next season is the only way to tell WHAT will happen. But put me on board!!! I love these types of players. HIGH Reward low risk IMO (Looking for top 15+)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they glamorize his mistakes and the season he got traded MID-WAY THROUGH!!! (Like he never showed signs of greatness or anything with the Browns. smh)

Dudes good.

What went wrong is, NOONE is going to get traded to a new team with a whole new offensive system and put up top 5 numbers OFF THE RIP.

Players even say, without Trent, they wouldnt have made it where they did in the playoffs. If you noticed.... When he was in the game, Defenses FOCUSED on him, opening up the pass... knowing he can take it to the house on any play. A full offseason and next season is the only way to tell WHAT will happen. But put me on board!!! I love these types of players. HIGH Reward low risk IMO (Looking for top 15+)
:mellow:

Dudes good.

Players even say, without Trent, they wouldnt have made it where they did in the playoffs. If you noticed.... When he was in the game, Defenses FOCUSED on him, opening up the pass... knowing he can take it to the house on any play. A full offseason and next season is the only way to tell WHAT will happen. But put me on board!!! I love these types of players. HIGH Reward low risk IMO (Looking for top 15+)
I know ill get the "Well 1st downs dont help you in fantasy"

But Trent got them the 1st when they needed the short yardage. His opportunity is THIS year, it WASNT last year. Last year was the trade. This year is where we see the truth. Say what you want until then!

Colts GM, Headlined

We don't win 12 games without Trent Richardson

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/1/16/5317388/ryan-grigson-we-dont-win-12-games-without-trent-richardson

Dudes good.

I know ill get the "Well 1st downs dont help you in fantasy"But Trent got them the 1st when they needed the short yardage. His opportunity is THIS year, it WASNT last year. Last year was the trade. This year is where we see the truth. Say what you want until then!

Colts GM, HeadlinedWe don't win 12 games without Trent Richardson

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/1/16/5317388/ryan-grigson-we-dont-win-12-games-without-trent-richardson
I have never read more rationalization in one thread. It is really simple. If Trent was better, he would have put up better stats. Look, I was a believer too. But then I watched him play last year. I don't know of a bigger bust thus far in his career. I hate to say it but I think he will be out of the league in a couple of years.

Dudes good.

GM said, without Trent, they wouldnt have made it where they did in the playoffs. If you noticed.... When he was in the game, Defenses FOCUSED on him, opening up the pass... knowing he can take it to the house on any play. A full offseason and next season is the only way to tell WHAT will happen. But put me on board!!! I love these types of players. HIGH Reward low risk IMO (Looking for top 15+)
He's on to something here folks.

I think the narrative on him is all screwed up.

Fantasy speaking he's not been a bust since he entered the NFL like so many people allude to here. He was a top 10 fantasy RB his rookie year, 8th in PPR I think. So for fantasy he's busted one year and was a RB1 the other year. People should keep that in perspective. It's not debatable and is simply false for anyone to conclude he's been a fantasy bust both seasons and in terms of how we asses his future in fantasy this is what really matters, at least to me it does.

In terms of real NFL play that's more debatable. He's busted both years relative to being picked 1.4 but that means nothing to me when looking at if a player is a bust or not, I just look at if he's productive or not. I thought he played pretty good as a rookie, especially with dealing with the nagging injuries and like most people I thought he stunk for the most part last year. Either way I don't agree with those who say he's been a bust since he entered the league. I'll concede that's debatable but that's my opinion. I just seem to recall the main focus on Trent after his rookie year and main discussion surrounding him was if he could stay healthy, not if he was actually any good.

Last thing on him is some PFF stats that basically fly in the face of conventional wisdom which if nothing else I find interesting. Among RB's with 100 carries or more he finished as RB#9 in their elusive rating. Seems hard to believe right? Trent finished so highly because he was rated very well in missed tackles as a runner and downright incredible in missed tackles as a receiver and I do mean incredible. On the other hand he finished miserable in yards after contact which does correlate to what I saw last year but something I rarely see people in here discuss and that is for such a powerful RB he goes down on first contact quite often. No one has to agree with PFF or believe these stats mean anything and I'm certainly not trying to prove a point with them because I'm not trying to debate that he was a mess last season. I just find them interesting because his metrics basically are almost dead opposite of how most people would have probably described his play last year.

Dudes good.

I know ill get the "Well 1st downs dont help you in fantasy"But Trent got them the 1st when they needed the short yardage. His opportunity is THIS year, it WASNT last year. Last year was the trade. This year is where we see the truth. Say what you want until then!

Colts GM, HeadlinedWe don't win 12 games without Trent Richardson

I have never read more rationalization in one thread. It is really simple. If Trent was better, he would have put up better stats. Look, I was a believer too. But then I watched him play last year. I don't know of a bigger bust thus far in his career. I hate to say it but I think he will be out of the league in a couple of years.
I'll take the under please.

Okay maybe I overstated it. How about this instead... He just will never achieve what we thought he would and will be an average RB at best over his career.

Dudes good.

He's on to something here folks.

I think the narrative on him is all screwed up.

Fantasy speaking he's not been a bust since he entered the NFL like so many people allude to here. He was a top 10 fantasy RB his rookie year, 8th in PPR I think. So for fantasy he's busted one year and was a RB1 the other year. People should keep that in perspective. It's not debatable and is simply false for anyone to conclude he's been a fantasy bust both seasons and in terms of how we asses his future in fantasy this is what really matters, at least to me it does.

In terms of real NFL play that's more debatable. He's busted both years relative to being picked 1.4 but that means nothing to me when looking at if a player is a bust or not, I just look at if he's productive or not. I thought he played pretty good as a rookie, especially with dealing with the nagging injuries and like most people I thought he stunk for the most part last year. Either way I don't agree with those who say he's been a bust since he entered the league. I'll concede that's debatable but that's my opinion. I just seem to recall the main focus on Trent after his rookie year and main discussion surrounding him was if he could stay healthy, not if he was actually any good.

Last thing on him is some PFF stats that basically fly in the face of conventional wisdom which if nothing else I find interesting. Among RB's with 100 carries or more he finished as RB#9 in their elusive rating. Seems hard to believe right? Trent finished so highly because he was rated very well in missed tackles as a runner and downright incredible in missed tackles as a receiver and I do mean incredible. On the other hand he finished miserable in yards after contact which does correlate to what I saw last year but something I rarely see people in here discuss and that is for such a powerful RB he goes down on first contact quite often. No one has to agree with PFF or believe these stats mean anything and I'm certainly not trying to prove a point with them because I'm not trying to debate that he was a mess last season. I just find them interesting because his metrics basically are almost dead opposite of how most people would have probably described his play last year.
I think the problem is that there is something wrong with these stats. See the post above that mentions that more than half of his runs went for 2 or less yards and almost a quarter went for 0 or less. He only beat out Willis McGahee, a street FA with a walker, in terms of ypc for RBs that got a significant amount of carries. The rest of the RBs on the Colts averaged 2.1 ypc more than he did. There is no way that was elusive in any way. I think however they measured it didn't account for his terrible running. Does an elusive RB have a long of 22 yards and 9 carries of 10 or more yards and 16 runs of -1 or less?

Dudes good.

So much wrong, it is almost ludicrous. You have to be fishing.

Again, he didn't get traded MID-WAY THROUGH. He played 16, yes 16 games with the Colts. There are literally hundreds of examples in the NFL of RBs coming in with way less starting time than Trent got and excelled. RB is the easiest position to learn and the easiest position for players to get plugged in and excel.

The GM was saving face. Trent didn't help them make the playoffs in any way. Yes, he played, but if you think his 2.9 ypc got the opposing team scared enough to open things up for Luck then you are a fool. Did you see the gif posted in the shark pool where Luck look dumbfounded/annoyed when he got the play call that ended up being a Richardson mediocre run at the goal line that resulted in a FG? That said a lot to me about what Luck thinks of Trent.

And, my final point thatI mentioned in this thread before. If Trent was so valuable and helped them make the playoffs, why then in their most important 2 games of the year in the playoffs did Trent get a total of 4 touches and Brown got 33 touches? Trent must have been so elusive that Luck couldn't find him to give him the ball.

Well, each stat means something different.

Is making a guy miss a tackle good?? Sure.

But is making a guy miss a tackle but then not getting any yards afterwards good? No.

He isn't making anyone miss. He is pretty much just not letting one guy take him down, which doesnt mean anything if he isn't getting any further during that process.

I think the elusiveness rating has to do with watching the games and noting when the player makes another player miss. This can happen at any point of the run. Being focused on making a guy miss might also lead to more lateral movement and less overall yards gained.

I have seen Richardson do a lot of this. It is what I liked about him as a RB is the tackle breaking abilities he has shown. That has not translated into big plays after the fact however. His yards on receptions of 9 yards/catch is pretty decent.

There is something I do not know here. Perhaps there were lingering effects from the rib injuries in 2012? From what I have read the main problems seem to be Richardson's vision. He does not see or choose the best option of his blocking well. The other thing is there were reports about Richardson not being tuned in with the team. Being a bit reclusive and perhaps not listening to coaches enough in meetings or things like that? If true that could mean Richardson is not fully getting the game plan/working within the system, instead running on instinct?

Here is a in depth report on Richardson- http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/11/1/5055152/an-in-depth-look-at-trent-richardsons-struggles-so-far-with-the-colts

Oh yea, To all of you Trent haters... I almost forgot to add this. Before bashing him and his "16 Game season" this year. LMAO.

Trent posted a little less than 1000 yards his rookie year playing with BROKEN RIBS! Dude was breaking tackles like it was nothing! He BLOCKED WELL, showed burst, caught the ball well, all great things to look for in a RB, and this was in a full season playing with BROKEN RIBS. His size (5'9" 225) is also another positive to look at. Dude has all the room to improve in ANY way shape or form they want him to.

Noone still has yet gave a VALID explanation of why he still isnt a top 10 Dynasty Fantasy Football back... (I see him all over the 30+ area in ranks and want to verbally put down whoever wrote up the ranking.)

& NO, his 2.whatever YPC/lack of vision/lost a step arguments are about as good as the #### in my toilet. Dude is 22 YEARS OLD..! Where he needs to improve, he WILL. Being from Cleveland, I was very happy to see him in a better situation. Even though I owned him and thought Cleveland wouldve brought him better stats in 2013, the long term, after he LEARNED THE SYSTEM looked VERY intriguing to me. Andrew Luck is the X factor to me. With such a skilled QB, the Run will open up the Pass, and the Pass will open up the Run.

Oh yea, To all of you Trent haters... I almost forgot to add this. Before bashing him and his "16 Game season" this year. LMAO.

Trent posted a little less than 1000 yards his rookie year playing with BROKEN RIBS! Dude was breaking tackles like it was nothing! He BLOCKED WELL, showed burst, caught the ball well, all great things to look for in a RB, and this was in a full season playing with BROKEN RIBS. His size (5'9" 225) is also another positive to look at. Dude has all the room to improve in ANY way shape or form they want him to.

Noone still has yet gave a VALID explanation of why he still isnt a top 10 Dynasty Fantasy Football back... (I see him all over the 30+ area in ranks and want to verbally put down whoever wrote up the ranking.)

& NO, his 2.whatever YPC/lack of vision/lost a step arguments are about as good as the #### in my toilet. Dude is 22 YEARS OLD..! Where he needs to improve, he WILL. Being from Cleveland, I was very happy to see him in a better situation. Even though I owned him and thought Cleveland wouldve brought him better stats in 2013, the long term, after he LEARNED THE SYSTEM looked VERY intriguing to me. Andrew Luck is the X factor to me. With such a skilled QB, the Run will open up the Pass, and the Pass will open up the Run.
If watching him play hasn't give you reason enough to think he isn't a top 10 dynasty RB, then you simply have no idea what you are watching.

His playing with broken ribs is rather overblown, because his stats when perfectly healthy aren't even better than when he had the broken ribs.

Mccoy

Lacy

Bell

Zach Stacy

Murray

Forte

Bernard

CHarles

Peterson

Lynch

Doug Martin

Spiller

and several others I can easily see being ahead such as 1-2 of the rookies, Bush, Rice, Morris, Mathews, Foster, Ball, Tate, ELlington, Vereen..............yeah, Richardson is muddled into that territory, and IMO is at the back end of it.

I think the elusiveness rating has to do with watching the games and noting when the player makes another player miss. This can happen at any point of the run. Being focused on making a guy miss might also lead to more lateral movement and less overall yards gained.

I have seen Richardson do a lot of this. It is what I liked about him as a RB is the tackle breaking abilities he has shown. That has not translated into big plays after the fact however. His yards on receptions of 9 yards/catch is pretty decent.

There is something I do not know here. Perhaps there were lingering effects from the rib injuries in 2012? From what I have read the main problems seem to be Richardson's vision. He does not see or choose the best option of his blocking well. The other thing is there were reports about Richardson not being tuned in with the team. Being a bit reclusive and perhaps not listening to coaches enough in meetings or things like that? If true that could mean Richardson is not fully getting the game plan/working within the system, instead running on instinct?

Here is a in depth report on Richardson- http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/11/1/5055152/an-in-depth-look-at-trent-richardsons-struggles-so-far-with-the-colts
About time someone put out an in-depth write up out there on Richardson.

All true points he made. When Trent was in the game, Defenses almost knew as if what play they were running. (If not could guess it was going up the middle. The guy is right, they need to switch it up. The reason Brown and whoever else had success running behind the same line last year was they gave them a variety of good looks.

Not saying he didnt look bad in 2014, but dont be the guy who missed out on an AP-type prospect, when you can get him at CHEAP RB2 value.

If watching him play hasn't give you reason enough to think he isn't a top 10 dynasty RB, then you simply have no idea what you are watching.

His playing with broken ribs is rather overblown, because his stats when perfectly healthy aren't even better than when he had the broken ribs.
Watch this and tell me he doesnt have Top 10 potential written ALL over him. I can give a #### less about a throw away season, getting traded half way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk2N0-Uvyt8

He is not an AP-type prospect, yikes. He never was.

I remember people saying "he is the best prospect since AP". Even that statement alone does not mean he is an AP type prospect. Nobody has been an AP type prospect since AP.

Watch this and tell me he doesnt have Top 10 potential written ALL over him. I can give a #### less about a throw away season, getting traded half way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk2N0-Uvyt8
Being a Browns fan, I watched them all as they happened. No need to relive it. The majority of his rookie season was pretty average running with a few nice plays. I did not see anything that said "stud".

And he did play a couple games with the team last year, and looked just as bad as he did in Indy.

I can find some nice runs from most of the RBs in the league that make them look special.

Oh yea, To all of you Trent haters... I almost forgot to add this. Before bashing him and his "16 Game season" this year. LMAO.Trent posted a little less than 1000 yards his rookie year playing with BROKEN RIBS! Dude was breaking tackles like it was nothing! He BLOCKED WELL, showed burst, caught the ball well, all great things to look for in a RB, and this was in a full season playing with BROKEN RIBS. His size (5'9" 225) is also another positive to look at. Dude has all the room to improve in ANY way shape or form they want him to.Noone still has yet gave a VALID explanation of why he still isnt a top 10 Dynasty Fantasy Football back... (I see him all over the 30+ area in ranks and want to verbally put down whoever wrote up the ranking.)& NO, his 2.whatever YPC/lack of vision/lost a step arguments are about as good as the #### in my toilet. Dude is 22 YEARS OLD..! Where he needs to improve, he WILL. Being from Cleveland, I was very happy to see him in a better situation. Even though I owned him and thought Cleveland wouldve brought him better stats in 2013, the long term, after he LEARNED THE SYSTEM looked VERY intriguing to me. Andrew Luck is the X factor to me. With such a skilled QB, the Run will open up the Pass, and the Pass will open up the Run.
Why is Kealoah Pilares still on your roster?

Do you lash out at all the haters that don't rank him in their top 300 WRs?

How is this conversation still raging? All joking aside, this guy was outplayed by Donald Brown last year, and by a gigantic margin.

####### Donald Brown, who by no stretch has looked anything more than a timeshare fill in RB over the last 4 years... Yet comparing the two, DB looked like an All-Pro!

I really enjoy everyone closing the book on the 22 year old who's had 2 seasons in the NFL after being one of the best RB prospects to come out since Peterson.

Hold the eulogy... the guy is the same age as a few of the guys being drafted this year. His career in the NFL is just getting started. I doubt he'll drop any lower in value. While it's clearly a minority view, Richardson is still developing and is still just a kid. I think he works his ### off this offseason and serves up an enormous serving of crow for the enormous number of doubters that have been piling on the past few months.

Richardson is still developing and is still just a kid. I think he works his ### off this offseason and serves up an enormous serving of crow for the enormous number of doubters that have been piling on the past few months.
Tacking on, I think the overlooked aspect of this is that Richardson wasn't just traded midseason, he was unceremoniously dumped for far less than what the Browns spent on him. As a 22-year-old kid who has never not been the best, Richardson probably didn't have the mental toughness to bounce back from that ego blow. Will an offseason allow him to refocus and become what he can be -- probably not a top-5 RB like many thought, but at least a top-15 or -20 NFL RB?

Richardson is still developing and is still just a kid. I think he works his ### off this offseason and serves up an enormous serving of crow for the enormous number of doubters that have been piling on the past few months.
Tacking on, I think the overlooked aspect of this is that Richardson wasn't just traded midseason, he was unceremoniously dumped for far less than what the Browns spent on him. As a 22-year-old kid who has never not been the best, Richardson probably didn't have the mental toughness to bounce back from that ego blow. Will an offseason allow him to refocus and become what he can be -- probably not a top-5 RB like many thought, but at least a top-15 or -20 NFL RB?
If you're taking my post as a defense of Richardson, you're reading it wrong. Being too mentally weak to deal with the trade is not a good sign.

Note: this might also help explain the praise Richardson has been getting from the front office and (especially) teammates. Sure, there's some doubling down by the front office, but I think it's also likely that they're trying to build the dude's confidence back up a bit.

Then why did he also look bad BEFORE being traded?
He didn't which is why an NFL team gave up a #1 pick for him.
He did look bad compared to expectations, but he didn't look bad for a 21-year-old NFL running back. He put up Le'Veon bell stats. Cleveland had a better offensive line, but Pittsburgh's passing game was better at drawing attention away from the run game.

3.4 YPC last year in Cleveland. They gave up a 1st because they thought he was playing poorly since he was on the Browns. Turns out that wasn't the reason.

I still stand by my assertion that it wasn't that bad of a trade due to the fact they got him on a 3 year, $7M non-guaranteed contract. And if by some miracle he does turn into a great back, the Colts have the option to keep him another year (albeit at a top 10 RB salary).

3.4 YPC last year in Cleveland. They gave up a 1st because they thought he was playing poorly since he was on the Browns. Turns out that wasn't the reason.

I still stand by my assertion that it wasn't that bad of a trade due to the fact they got him on a 3 year, $7M non-guaranteed contract. And if by some miracle he does turn into a great back, the Colts have the option to keep him another year (albeit at a top 10 RB salary).
I think NFL teams look a little deeper than YPC and I think you should as well.

ETA the following:

I'll add I think YPC is not a overly reliable tool due to a variety of factors such as blocking, usage(is the RB getting an inordinate amount of carries in short yardage vs a high amount on passing downs), supporting cast, competition that RB faces.

Also what's been pointed out with Richardson is he's not broke long runs. By itself not damning, see Eddie Georges career where his longest run after his rookie season was 40 yards, but it certainly would lead to a lower YPC.

Speaking of Eddie George I think most found him to a pretty solid NFL back,not a HOF back but pretty solid. His career HIGH YPC is 4.1 which he did twice and is the only two years of his career he broke 4 ypc. In part because he failed to break long runs.

Other notable HOF or soon to be HOF RB's who did not demonstrate high YPC early in their careers.

Tomlinson got 339 carries his rookie season and finished with a 3.6 YPC. In Trent's Browns career he got 298 carries for a 3.54 YPC. Not a lot of difference.

Going way back Walter Payton got just 196 carries his rookie season and for a 3.5 YPC.

Emmit Smith at 3.9 his rookie season which is almost half a yard more than Trent but not impressive either.

Jerome Bettis will make the HOF soon. His YPC his first year was outstanding. He then spent the next two seasons playing his way out of St. Louis with 3.2 and 3.5 YPC's but still the Steelers saw talent so in an unusual move for that franchise they traded for a player on another team. It was a great trade but Jerome would rush for less than 4 YPC in 7 out of his 10 seasons with Pittsburgh and would end his career with a 3.9 YPC average both for the Steelers and his career. Again that's better than Trent but not impressive.

Curtis Martin averaged 3.85 YPC after his first 6 seasons.

Lynch was 3.9 YPC after his first 4 seasons. Like Curtis and Emmit that's better than Trent but not by a lot if we are just looking at Trent's Browns career.

I am cherry picking stats here and you can find a whopping amount of RB's with YPC early in their careers. I'm just trying to illustrate is how many good RB's, many HOF RB's, had low YPC their initial seasons or over the course of their first few years in the league and it was not an indicator that they sucked.

So you think the majority of NFL teams would still give up a first round pick for Richardson? Lol, the colts only wish that was true.

I click the like this button a bit too much and have reached my quota... if I could, I would click it a few times on this post.

So you think the majority of NFL teams would still give up a first round pick for Richardson? Lol, the colts only wish that was true.
How did you get this out of his post. I see no mention of other NFL teams or first round picks in meno's post.

Can you teach me to read between the lines like this? I'm surely missing out.

Yeah I keep forgetting 3.5 YPC is good. To go along with his 3.5 YPC from teh entire season before.

Like the colts, people here are making the mistake of dreaming about the talent he is supposed to have instead of recognizing what they see right in front of their face.

How did you get this out of his post. I see no mention of other NFL teams or first round picks in meno's post.

Pretty simple. The Colts didn't get what they thought they got in that trade, and would take their 1st round back for him in half a heartbeat.

No, I can't teach people to think or understand. If I could this thread wouldn't exist.

If he went back into the draft and would be signed to a new rookie contract, where do we think he'd go relative to the other backs in this class? (Assume teams have seen his two NFL seasons.)

If he went back into the draft and would be signed to a new rookie contract, where do we think he'd go relative to the other backs in this class? (Assume teams have seen his two NFL seasons.)
Undrafted??

Who knows, but nowhere near the first round.

Then again if Tebow can be a 1st rounder, anything is possible.

Yeah I keep forgetting 3.5 YPC is good. To go along with his 3.5 YPC from teh entire season before.

Like the colts, people here are making the mistake of dreaming about the talent he is supposed to have instead of recognizing what they see right in front of their face.
Don't forget about the jaded Browns fans that want him to be out of the league in 2015 so that they will feel that their team's trade is validated."Hey, our team can't win our division, but at least we 'won' that T Rich trade! LOLZZZzzzz!!!!!1"

Don't forget about the jaded Browns fans that want him to be out of the league in 2015 so that they will feel that their team's trade is validated."Hey, our team can't win our division, but at least we 'won' that T Rich trade! LOLZZZzzzz!!!!!1"
Nice attempt at a cop out for how much he sucks. Almost as stupid as your short yardgae rants that were entirely useless.

Nothing else needs to happen for the trade to be validated anyway. Even if Richardson somehow has a decent career, he would need to be like a 3-4 time probowler to justify the Colts giving up a 1st rounder for him.

Nice attempt at a cop out for how much he sucks. Almost as stupid as your short yardgae rants that were entirely useless.

Nothing else needs to happen for the trade to be validated anyway. Even if Richardson somehow has a decent career, he would need to be like a 3-4 time probowler to justify the Colts giving up a 1st rounder for him.
So if a player taken with a 1st round pick doesn't make at least 3-4 Pro Bowls, they are a bust? I guess that means that 75% of 1st round picks are not worth it. With such a high failure rate, it seems like the risk of trading for TRich is worth the reward.

He didn't tear up the yardage in 2013....but after all:

At some point you gotta think they will run a play where they do more than just have him slam up the middle. No counters, no draws, no screens, nothing but dive plays.

Then Brown comes in and immediately he gets draws and screens.

I think its too early to call Richardson a likely bounce back player or a complete bust. He's only had 2 years in the league, 1 of which he was productive, the other he was garbage. But there are stories of RBs who went on to have great careers but took MUCH longer than 2 years to break out. John Riggins took 5 seasons before he ever broke 1000 yards in a season. It took him 10 seasons to have double digits rushing TDs. (he scored 24 in 1983. wow) After his 4th season, Priest Holmes averaged only 500 yards per season. Tiki Barber took 4 seasons to break 1000 yards. The light bulb doesn't always go off after year one or even year two. Patience is needed here I think.

Users who are viewing this thread