What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (2 Viewers)

He didn't tear up the yardage in 2013....but after all:

At some point you gotta think they will run a play where they do more than just have him slam up the middle. No counters, no draws, no screens, nothing but dive plays.

Then Brown comes in and immediately he gets draws and screens.
It just seemed that way at first until I actually started paying attention, and I think I was referring to like ONE game anyway. Good cherry pick.

And yes, to justify giving a 1st rounder for a RB, than RB needs to make more probowls than almost any other position to make it worth it (outside of K, P, and FB)

So you are saying if a kicker is a 1st round pick and makes 5 probowls it was a good pick??

I think we need to get back to the short yardage back arguments. Those made more sense.

And yes, to justify giving a 1st rounder for a RB, than RB needs to make more probowls than almost any other position to make it worth it (outside of K, P, and FB)

So you are saying if a kicker is a 1st round pick and makes 5 probowls it was a good pick??

I think we need to get back to the short yardage back arguments. Those made more sense.
Complete straw man here. You are the one saying 1st round picks need to make a certain number of Pro Bowls to justify their draft spot.

I don't think there's a hard criteria to say when a player has "justified" their first round status. But, if I were to pick one, I'd say length of career is a pretty good indicator that a player is adding value to his team.

He didn't tear up the yardage in 2013....but after all:

At some point you gotta think they will run a play where they do more than just have him slam up the middle. No counters, no draws, no screens, nothing but dive plays.

Then Brown comes in and immediately he gets draws and screens.
It just seemed that way at first until I actually started paying attention, and I think I was referring to like ONE game anyway. Good cherry pick.
Ah...so when you made that statement you weren't paying attention, didn't know what you were talking about, and were still posting anyway.

Now you really DO know what you're talking about...honest.

If Trent shapes up in the future, I look forward to you saying you had it right the first time and were just paying too much attention to the haters....honest.

No need to fight about this. Most know he sucks. Some still believe otherwise. Just give them an e-hug and when the last of the believers realize he sucks, please don't mock them. I'm sure if they turn out to be right, they won't mock us.

I will be happy to say I was wrong about Richardson if he turns it around and becomes good. You have any evidence that I wouldnt??

And yeah, I think after watching a dozen games I have a better grasp on what was really going on than I did after one game. I guess at the time i was in denial that he was really that bad.

I was also one of the very few people that didn't label him as a stud before he was drafted. I thought he woukd be pretty good, but was a FAR cry from all the Peterson talk people were throwing around.

But he is an effective short yardage rb. Well worth a 1st.

No need to fight about this. Most know he sucks. Some still believe otherwise. Just give them an e-hug and when the last of the believers realize he sucks, please don't mock them. I'm sure if they turn out to be right, they won't mock us.
How many more years of terrible running will it take for them to come around though? Will we hear the "he is still young, he is only 27" talk???

How many more years of terrible running will it take for them to come around though? Will we hear the "he is still young, he is only 27" talk???
:shrug:

But I tell you, there is something pretty cool about being the last holdouts of an dying idea.

For what it's worth, he had 24 more rushing yards in the regular season than that guy* who just WON THE SUPER BOWL! Nothing to worry about here.

*Russell Wilson

I will be happy to say I was wrong about Richardson if he turns it around and becomes good. You have any evidence that I wouldnt??

And yeah, I think after watching a dozen games I have a better grasp on what was really going on than I did after one game. I guess at the time i was in denial that he was really that bad.

I was also one of the very few people that didn't label him as a stud before he was drafted. I thought he woukd be pretty good, but was a FAR cry from all the Peterson talk people were throwing around.

But he is an effective short yardage rb. Well worth a 1st.
I don't think he has to be as good as Peterson, probably the greatest RB of this generation, or make it to 3-4 Pro Bowls to mean he was worth the 26th pick in the draft.

No, but he sure needs to play about 5x better than he has so far in his career. And before you try and tell me he looked like a top talent in 2012, I will already reply to you and tell you that you are wrong.

:shrug: But I tell you, there is something pretty cool about being the last holdouts of an dying idea.
There's a difference between saying, "This guy is a stud," and "It's a bit too early to completely write this guy off as a bust."

There's many people saying the latter; at worst case, we're behind the curve. There's also many saying the former and selling him for pennies on the dollar (in dynasty leagues); at worst case, they gave away a very valuable player for dirt-cheap.

Anything is possible. Richardson could still be good. But if he can still be good, then so can every other player in the league. At that point, what are you really saying??

Anything is possible. Richardson could still be good. But if he can still be good, then so can every other player in the league. At that point, what are you really saying??
The same thing a number of other people are saying:

It's been 2 years, and 1 of them involved an in-season trade. It's too soon, imo, to write him off.

:shrug: But I tell you, there is something pretty cool about being the last holdouts of an dying idea.
There's a difference between saying, "This guy is a stud," and "It's a bit too early to completely write this guy off as a bust."

There's many people saying the latter; at worst case, we're behind the curve. There's also many saying the former and selling him for pennies on the dollar (in dynasty leagues); at worst case, they gave away a very valuable player for dirt-cheap.
You act like he ran bad when he was with the Browns..?

like the dude said above everyones writing him off after 2 seasons. 1 good season (rookie year/broken ribs) and a season where he was traded halfway through. Everything is just opinion based until we see what he can do with a full offseason under his belt. Hopefully the Colts help out that line too.

he has some special qualities once getting to the open field. The problem is getting there. He hasnt. He dances, dances, and dances...by the time he decides what he is going to do it is too late.Correctable? Maybe, maybe not. If corrected he has a career though. Protypical build wi a few extra lbs and speed to burn. That is a pretty rare combo. He reminds me a lot of a more powerful Reggie Bush. We will see if their career trajectory matches.

The same thing a number of other people are saying:

It's been 2 years, and 1 of them involved an in-season trade. It's too soon, imo, to write him off.
I guess maybe we differ on what "writing him off" means.

I think he has like a 5% chance of being a good productive RB worthy of anything close to what his value was a year ago. I am not 100% writing him off, but real close. At this point I will give a mid 2nd for him just for the fun of owning him

he has some special qualities once getting to the open field. The problem is getting there. He hasnt. He dances, dances, and dances...by the time he decides what he is going to do it is too late.Correctable? Maybe, maybe not. If corrected he has a career though. Protypical build wi a few extra lbs and speed to burn. That is a pretty rare combo. He reminds me a lot of a more powerful Reggie Bush. We will see if their career trajectory matches.
He is the Ryan Leaf of running backs.

like the dude said above everyones writing him off after 2 seasons. 1 good season (rookie year/broken ribs) and a season where he was traded halfway through. Everything is just opinion based until we see what he can do with a full offseason under his belt. Hopefully the Colts help out that line too.
You can't just completely ignore everything that happened in a season because he was traded during it (not nearly "halfway through", by the way).

By the last quarter of the year he had spent more than a full NFL offseason's worth of time with the team and still ran really, really poorly. Significantly more poorly than a completely forgotten Donald Brown playing the same role. Significantly more poorly than Ahmad Bradshaw did with Indy even though Bradshaw had even LESS time with the team going into his Indy starts than Richardson had with the team going into his last few games, where again, he was still really bad.

If 3 months in a system isn't enough time to learn it then that is a bad thing, not a good one. Is it your intention to say that Richardson is going to run for 4-5ypc in a normal year but revert back to 2ypc every time the Colts get a new offensive coordinator and Richardson has "only" 2-3 months to learn that new system?

Also, aside from fantasy purposes, it's hard to say that Richardson's rookie year was "good". By all accounts, a better description is that he had one below average year with a lot of carries to boost the end of year totals a bit, and one year that was among the worst in NFL history for running backs.

Also, aside from fantasy purposes, it's hard to say that Richardson's rookie year was "good". By all accounts, a better description is that he had one below average year with a lot of carries to boost the end of year totals a bit, and one year that was among the worst in NFL history for running backs.
Yeah, people BADLY overlook this.

He had a couple good games and some nice runs, but the season as a whole was nothing remotely close to being special in any way. But he did well for fantasy pruposes.

Yeah. I agree with most of the things you said there.

He is the Ryan Leaf of running backs.
I think that might be a little harsh, but there are parallels. Leaf actually looked good in the preseason his rookie year and had flashes of promise in his rather brief career, but it gradually became apparent that he just didn't have it and didn't get much support (either on the record or off) from teammates. In that light, Scott Fujita's mixed comments on Richardson (after he left the Browns) are interesting:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_browns_ex-lb_scott_f.html

Cleveland Browns ex-LB Scott Fujita says Trent Richardson was late for treatments, failed to engage with teammates and came off as high maintenance

BEREA, Ohio -- Former Browns linebacker Scott Fujita, now an analyst for Fox Sports, shed some light on Trent Richardson in his column today, saying he made little effort to engage with teammates, was late for treatments, was high maintenance and didn't appear to buy in.

Fujita said the trade of Richardson to the Colts for a 2014 first-round pick was a win-win for both clubs.

"It seems strange to say a fresh start is needed for someone who’s beginning his career, but that might be the case here,'' said Fujita of Richardson. "Guys get drafted all the time to places they just don’t want to be. I can’t speculate about what’s in any one person’s head, but when a player enters the league wearing headphones incessantly, shows up late for treatments, and makes little effort to engage with his teammates, he can quickly develop a reputation for being insular and high-maintenance.''

Fujita, a Browns captain who keeps in touch with some of his former teammates here, went on to write, "It can be perceived that he isn’t happy and that he’s not making an effort to buy in. I’ve seen this happen countless times, especially in today’s head down, keep-things-to-yourself culture.

"Generally, you hope the player grows out of that coming into his second season, especially when there’s been a complete regime change and everyone is expected to prove themselves all over again. Some players buy in, and some don’t. Buy-in, even if it’s just perceived, goes a long way. You have to be willing to show you want to be part of the team.

"I have no idea what took place during Thursday morning’s team meeting in Berea, the first since the trade was announced the previous afternoon. But my sense tells me a message was sent, loud and clear, even if nothing was spoken: No one is guaranteed a spot on this team. No one is bigger than the team. If you don’t buy in, you don’t belong on this team.''

Fujita's remarks echo the sentiments of one Browns starter who anonymously told NFL.com that Richardson "has some things he needs to figure out before he becomes a dominant player ion the league.''

Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, asked about those remarks, said, "He is still young. To be in this league, you have to go through the ups and downs. A lot of guys' paths don't start off as they would like. There's nothing to say things can't change and you can't be that dominant person. Every player in this locker room has a lot of work to do. I have a lot of work to do. That's not something to say why it's the reason he got traded.''

Fujita, who spent last season here with Richardson, was part of a group of team leaders in 2011 that conducted an intervention with running back Peyton Hillis to urge him to get his priorities straight and focus on football.

For some of the reasons he outlined, including perceived lack of buying in, Fujita feels like the move will benefit both clubs.

"The Colts got an incredibly skilled back to complement one of the best young quarterbacks in the game,'' he said. "And they have a coach in Chuck Pagano who has a fantastic reputation for reaching his players and getting the absolute best out of each and every man in his locker room. Their future was already bright, but their team just got better now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we please stop saying he was traded halfway through the season. It was after 2 games or 1/4 of halfway through the season. He played only 3 less game for the Colts than he did in 1+ years with the Browns.

If this dead horse is going to get beat to death, I feel like we should stop fabricating things.

Can we please stop saying he was traded halfway through the season. It was after 2 games or 1/4 of halfway through the season. He played only 3 less game for the Colts than he did in 1+ years with the Browns.

If this dead horse is going to get beat to death, I feel like we should stop fabricating things.
I agree that it wasn't "half-way through the season," but missing all of trainig camp and getting traded in-season, regardless if it's week 2 or week 12, is still a difficult thing. Everybody is expected to know the playbook before the end of preseason; once the regular season starts, practices are spent game plannig for next week's opponent and adding a few wrinkles. It's not like everyone goes back and works on learning the system.

The same thing a number of other people are saying:It's been 2 years, and 1 of them involved an in-season trade. It's too soon, imo, to write him off.
I guess maybe we differ on what "writing him off" means.

I think he has like a 5% chance of being a good productive RB worthy of anything close to what his value was a year ago. I am not 100% writing him off, but real close. At this point I will give a mid 2nd for him just for the fun of owning him
He was WAAAAY over-hyped a year ago. Hos chances of living up to the hype even before this year was probably only 10%.

It'd be tough for him to ever live up to the hype, but even if he doesn't, that doesn't mean he still can't have a decent career or be good for fantasy purposes.

it is difficult to get integrated after the season has began coaches aren't focused on building the foundation anymore they are concentrating on the next opponent.

as someone who almost never gives up on prospects early and was a huge proponent of Trent (had him as a top 5 overall dynasty pick), even i gave up on him.

It could be a motivation or lack of confidence thing and he turns it around, but he just looks flat out awful.

Pulling for him to not end up on the biggest busts ever shows 10 years down the road.

He was WAAAAY over-hyped a year ago. Hos chances of living up to the hype even before this year was probably only 10%.It'd be tough for him to ever live up to the hype, but even if he doesn't, that doesn't mean he still can't have a decent career or be good for fantasy purposes.
I will give him a 10% chance of being a worthwhile flex starter for fantasy teams.

He was WAAAAY over-hyped a year ago. Hos chances of living up to the hype even before this year was probably only 10%.

It'd be tough for him to ever live up to the hype, but even if he doesn't, that doesn't mean he still can't have a decent career or be good for fantasy purposes.
I will give him a 10% chance of being a worthwhile flex starter for fantasy teams.
Agree to agree. Crazy how wrong I was on him coming out of college. Ah well, learn from it and move on.

Agree to agree. Crazy how wrong I was on him coming out of college. Ah well, learn from it and move on.
Well here's the thing. There migth be a come who comes along in a couple years with the EXACT same skillset as T-rich, but with a different brain, and he will be really good.

Being wrong on a guy sometimes doesnt mean you were wrong on his talent (although I never thought his talent was elite or anywhere near worth the top 3 pick we used on him). It's really hard to know how someone will adjust to the league, how hard they will work, how their body responds to the NFL, and a million other factors that are hard to predict past what his body type and physical abilities are.

Well here's the thing. There migth be a come who comes along in a couple years with the EXACT same skillset as T-rich, but with a different brain, and he will be really good.

Being wrong on a guy sometimes doesnt mean you were wrong on his talent (although I never thought his talent was elite or anywhere near worth the top 3 pick we used on him). It's really hard to know how someone will adjust to the league, how hard they will work, how their body responds to the NFL, and a million other factors that are hard to predict past what his body type and physical abilities are.
That's true. I think part of it was that I wanted to believe the hype because I had a great draft pick when he was a rookie. I mean it's not every day you get a chance at a rookie RB who could be elite. But I think I ignored the red flags. Denial. You are right though, the next guy with his skill set might have better vision or avoid off season sex tapes or be able to digest a play book better, etc. It's a case by case assessment.

That's true. I think part of it was that I wanted to believe the hype because I had a great draft pick when he was a rookie. I mean it's not every day you get a chance at a rookie RB who could be elite. But I think I ignored the red flags. Denial. You are right though, the next guy with his skill set might have better vision or avoid off season sex tapes or be able to digest a play book better, etc. It's a case by case assessment.
Yeah well, unfortunately you just never know who a guy really is. Not a whole lot you can do about that.

I'm not kicking myself for taking him at 1.01 in a rookie draft and 1.07 in a start up a couple of years ago. If he busts, he busts. He would be an epic bust at that, but I think I took the best young RB on the board with the info at hand. Going to hold him until he either turns it around or has another horrible season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Roto:

"The Indianapolis Star reports the Colts and free agent Ahmad Bradshaw have engaged in contract negotiations.

The Colts reportedly "haven't closed the door" on a Bradshaw return. Both ESPN Colts reporter Mike Wells and the Star opined last month that it's unlikely Bradshaw re-signs, especially with Vick Ballard returning from a torn ACL and Bradshaw's own injury history. Bradshaw will turn 28 in two weeks and is coming off neck surgery. He likely won't sign until the second or third wave of free agency."
Are they trying to be like the Patriots with a revolving door at RB? Ugh. "One series for you. One series for you. One series for you. One series for you."

Per Roto:

"The Indianapolis Star reports the Colts and free agent Ahmad Bradshaw have engaged in contract negotiations.

The Colts reportedly "haven't closed the door" on a Bradshaw return. Both ESPN Colts reporter Mike Wells and the Star opined last month that it's unlikely Bradshaw re-signs, especially with Vick Ballard returning from a torn ACL and Bradshaw's own injury history. Bradshaw will turn 28 in two weeks and is coming off neck surgery. He likely won't sign until the second or third wave of free agency."
Are they trying to be like the Patriots with a revolving door at RB? Ugh. "One series for you. One series for you. One series for you. One series for you."
No, they're looking for a good RB.

Per Roto:

IMO that's a pretty smart way to go in today's NFL -- bunch of cheap guys with complementary strengths playing specific roles. Definitely sucks for FF though.

joey said:
I'm not kicking myself for taking him at 1.01 in a rookie draft and 1.07 in a start up a couple of years ago. If he busts, he busts. He would be an epic bust at that, but I think I took the best young RB on the board with the info at hand. Going to hold him until he either turns it around or has another horrible season.
I never had the opportunity to draft him, but if I had the 1.01 that year, I would have. He seemed to be a pretty good bet at the time.

I am buying him for now, granted at a pretty low price, but I think he can still be a top 10 RB for fantasy purpose. I agree that he's not the uber-stud we all thought he would be, but I see enough good attributes sprinkled in between the terrible plays that tell me he can be a heavy contributor for a team.

His vision is terrible and he doesn't hit the hole fast or aggressive enough, but he is still very hard to bring down in the open field with his balance and quick moves. I have to think that Pagano is under immense pressure to find ways to get him the ball in open space and justify that trade. I'll even take 2.9 yards per carry as long as I'm getting 4-5 catches a game for 40 yards and 10 total TDs on the year.

And at 22 years old he is still very young and possibly very stupid. I remember landing a nice job at 21 years old and getting fired two years later because I was more interested in having fun with the salary than building a foundation for the rest of my life. After struggling to find work I got my focus straight at 24 years old. I think there is a lot of truth in what Scott Fujita said. Maybe something will click in the next year or two and we'll see a more focused and determined Trent.

For those who are selling, if you are getting decent value it's one thing, but I wouldn't dump him for pennies just yet. Unfortunately you may have to waste a roster spot for a couple more years, but it's better than watching him blow up after you got next to nothing for him.

Trent Richardson was spotted at Morton's Steakhouse in NYC 2 nights ago. He reached into his pocket, pulled out his wallet which he then dropped. A hooker in 6 inch stilettos grabbed it off the ground and outran Trent to the door... He has been washing and dropping dishes since.

joey said:
I never had the opportunity to draft him, but if I had the 1.01 that year, I would have. He seemed to be a pretty good bet at the time.
I wasn't able to draft him either, but I fell for the 'physical freak' hype even though it turns out that he's probably not even faster than Carlos Hyde.

joey said:
I wasn't able to draft him either, but I fell for the 'physical freak' hype even though it turns out that he's probably not even faster than Carlos Hyde.
I think close to 100% of everyone would have taken him with rookie 1.01 that year. It's the people that traded 1.01 startup value to get him that made the crushing mistake -- but that holds true for any rookie IMO. There's truly no such thing as "can't miss."

joey said:
I think close to 100% of everyone would have taken him with rookie 1.01 that year. It's the people that traded 1.01 startup value to get him that made the crushing mistake -- but that holds true for any rookie IMO. There's truly no such thing as "can't miss."
In my startup last year:

1.02 - Trent Richardson - So many choices, going with safe one for years to come.

No offense to the guy who wrote that, I felt the same way.

Trent Richardson was spotted at Morton's Steakhouse in NYC 2 nights ago. He reached into his pocket, pulled out his wallet which he then dropped. A hooker in 6 inch stilettos grabbed it off the ground and outran Trent to the door... He has been washing and dropping dishes since.
You clearly never saw him run in his tight spandex pants. No hooker would run away from him. ;)

You clearly never saw him run in his tight spandex pants. No hooker would run away from him. ;)
Is that the opening scene of his porno?

Of course they glamorize his mistakes and the season he got traded MID-WAY THROUGH!!! (Like he never showed signs of greatness or anything with the Browns. smh)

Dudes good.

What went wrong is, NOONE is going to get traded to a new team with a whole new offensive system and put up top 5 numbers OFF THE RIP.
Pretty sure Eric Dickerson did okay.

Yes. Of course drafting in a startup dynasty is a horrible way to disperse players. People are starting to learn that now. I know, this is a different conversation altogether now.

At the time he came into the league, Richardson was unanimously the best rookie rb, considered by most the best back to come into the league since ADP.

All the experts were wrong. We are all in good company.

I spoke to someone today who is related to one of the starting Colts O-lineman today. This person said according to the O-lineman, Brown is likely gone. Players have big doubts about Trent. No vision, runs with his head down, doesn't see the hole. Players think he's being kept and will play because GM has to save face.

Users who are viewing this thread