Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
False Start

The Trent Richardson Thread

When I see 3.6 ypc as a rookie, I think "This guy isn't that good". What impressed you about his rookie year?

the 12 TDs impressed me and probably most others. You don't get 12 "lucky" TDs your rookie season, especially on a 2012 Cleveland Brown team lead by rookie Weeden and raw rookie Gordon. You got to have some skills to get that number.

Peyton Hillis had 13 TDs in Cleveland in 2010 (11 rushing and 2 receiving) so one could conclude that like Richardson, he also had some skills to get that number, yet has not done much of anything since then. Yes, it was a different Brown's team but IMO pointing to the number of TDs a RB has in a given year is not always that persuasive of an argument.

the 12 TDs impressed me and probably most others. You don't get 12 "lucky" TDs your rookie season, especially on a 2012 Cleveland Brown team lead by rookie Weeden and raw rookie Gordon. You got to have some skills to get that number.

Rushing TDs are about opportunity and have nothing to do with skill. The biggest stiff in the world can run for double digit TDs given enough goal line carries.

4 TDs or so, sure... but double digits; no. Evidence of a bum racking double digit TDs

Brandon Jacobs

Moe Williams

80 year old Jerome Bettis

90 year old Stephen Davis

Lendale White

Willie Parker

Travis Henry

Domanick Williams

Joseph Addai

Ryan Grant

Benjarvis Green-Ellis

LeRon McClain

TJ Duckett

Tim Hightower

Knowshon Moreno

Mike Tolbert

Earnest Graham

Chris Wells

those are bums?

If you don't think that list contains a lot of bad or below average players then there is no sense in discussing this topic with you, as you will obviously say anything to make your point.

I'm not saying TRich can't turn his career around, but if he does it will be the greatest turnaround in history.

I'm not saying TRich can't turn his career around, but if he does it will be the greatest turnaround in history.

Not really. On par with Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones.

Not really. On par with Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones.

Benson averaged 4.1 YPC his first two years. Even Thomas Jones had a slightly higher YPC on an even worse team than TRich has had.

No RB with more than 316 carries their first two years has had a worse YPC than TRich. That's why a comeback into even an average starting RB will be historically impressive.

Let me look at the list

Brandon Jacobs - Come on, not a Bum
Moe Williams - I don't remember so bum
80 year old Jerome Bettis - GL for a great blocking Steeler team, what he have like 300 yards that yr
90 year old Stephen Davis
Lendale White - ok, he turned into a bum but he had workout/weight problems. COP/GL to a great CJ2K yr.
Willie Parker - Really, he had a couple of good FF yrs
Travis Henry - Product of Shanny, hard runner
Domanick Williams - Product of Shanny like system, got injuried and infected
Joseph Addai - Product of Peyton Manning but did show talent, wouldn't say bum
Ryan Grant - Avg, but hard runner
Benjarvis Green-Ellis - slow but solid runner, never fumbles which keeps him on the field
LeRon McClain
TJ Duckett - GL back on a team that had Dunn and Vick
Tim Hightower - Bum, product of Shanny
Knowshon Moreno - Product of Manning
Mike Tolbert - GL/COP on a high scoring Chargers
Earnest Graham - ok, Bum... fresh legs for 1 solid yr. Good FB that got an opp to be an RB
Chris Wells - was good till he got hurt again

Hillis - he looked good for a little while

So I would say about half that list are bums or avg backs, but in many of their cases they needed support from 1)high scoring offenses, 2) rushing QB, 3) COP/GL to a superior Back and/or 4) great run blocking to achieve their double digit TDs. In his Rookie yr Richardson wasn't supported by a superior back or rushing QB and wasn't on a high flying offense. So has a bum or avg back achieved double digit TDs pretty much on his own, I would say yes but its rarer than most want you to believe.

The guy regressed last yr, I can't say he didn't. And there were so many plays where he would run to the line and have his head down looking at the ground, how do you expect to pick up any yardage like that. It was like he had no condifence in himself or the line blocking him. But I don't understand why people are in here beating their chest that its over for him. If you got him ranked in your top 10 - 15 RB then that a little high, but theres also value here. Indy is doing everything in their power to make it work for Richardson and hes going to get a chance to be a work horse... sorry if that perks my ears.

Edited by KellysHeroes

Out of all those players listed, I also think most would have to admit the offenses and offensive lines were much better than what Trent ran behind in Cleveland and Indy the last 2 years. Steelers, Giants, Redskins, Panthers, Falcons, Broncos, etc. Not saying Trent will or won't turn it around, but the teams/lines do have some bearing on the players performance.

If you watch Richardson versus Auburn in 2011 on YouTube, you will see the same guy you've seen the last 2 seasons.(I can't paste the link on my phone for some reason but will add it later)

No vision, gets only what is blocked and dances around too much. He wows the announcers with fancy start/stop moves, cutbacks and spins, but a lot of times those moves are not necessary and only get him tackled faster.

If he is going to maintain fantasy relevance, his coaches and OC will need to design plays specifically to his strengths. That means getting him out in the open where he is tough to bring down and where one of those fancy moves of his might break a tackle or two.

I own him and think it's very possible he is still valuable in fantasy, but I'm not expecting him to become a great RB.

Out of all those players listed, I also think most would have to admit the offenses and offensive lines were much better than what Trent ran behind in Cleveland and Indy the last 2 years. Steelers, Giants, Redskins, Panthers, Falcons, Broncos, etc. Not saying Trent will or won't turn it around, but the teams/lines do have some bearing on the players performance.

Hillis and Graham are the only guys that were the focus of their teams without much support and turned in good season.

Hillis fooled a lot of us into thinking he was a good RB while Graham was viewed as a flash in the pan moment.

Allow me to forecast the next 10 pages of this thread...

Those of you that think TR will bounce back are nuts. He was terrible last year.

Those of you that think TR is done are nuts. He was all world in college and has had a full off-season to prepare for the lead role.

Some of us know he sucked but are willing to have a wait and see attitude towards this year.

:deadhorse:

• Like 3

Allow me to forecast the next 10 pages of this thread...

Those of you that think TR will bounce back are nuts. He was terrible last year.

Those of you that think TR is done are nuts. He was all world in college and has had a full off-season to prepare for the lead role.

Some of us know he sucked but are willing to have a wait and see attitude towards this year.

:deadhorse:

you ruined it.

Edited by duaneok66
  • Like 1

Trent Richardson: Colts have a first-round pick -- me

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

The Indianapolis Colts are without a first-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, due to the trade for Trent Richardson.

The running back, who averaged 2.9 yards per carry last season, disagrees with the sentiment that the Colts lack a top pick.

"I think we do have a first-round pick -- and that's me," Richardson said Wednesday, per ESPN.com. "They spent their money on me in the first round. No pressure toward proving to everybody else, just proving to me that I can be the best."

Richardson's confidence has been unwavering since the season ended, believing he can bounce back with a full offseason in the Colts' offense.

"As far as confidence, man, I can't wait. There's a lot that I want to do," Richardson said, via ProFootballlTalk.com. "I've been playing football my whole life. I never thought it would become a struggle for me. I look back at it and I say, 'Hey, you're still the guy, you're still the Trent Richardson you've always been. Just keep your mindset right.'"

Third-person usage aside, Richardson has the correct mindset entering the season. However, he will also have more competition for carries with Vick Ballard and Ahmad Bradshaw returning from injury.

The 22-year-old Richardson believes his play in 2014 can compensate for the first-round draft pick general manager Ryan Grigson gave up last year. However, the Colts will be missing an infusion of defensive talent that could have come via that first-rounder now held by the Cleveland Browns.

In the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast," the guys talk Geno Smith's future in New York and pick the winners and losers of free agency.

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

The Indianapolis Colts are without a first-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, due to the trade for Trent Richardson.

The running back, who averaged 2.9 yards per carry last season, disagrees with the sentiment that the Colts lack a top pick.

"I think we do have a first-round pick -- and that's me," Richardson said Wednesday, per ESPN.com. "They spent their money on me in the first round. No pressure toward proving to everybody else, just proving to me that I can be the best."

Richardson's confidence has been unwavering since the season ended, believing he can bounce back with a full offseason in the Colts' offense.

"As far as confidence, man, I can't wait. There's a lot that I want to do," Richardson said, via ProFootballlTalk.com. "I've been playing football my whole life. I never thought it would become a struggle for me. I look back at it and I say, 'Hey, you're still the guy, you're still the Trent Richardson you've always been. Just keep your mindset right.'"

Third-person usage aside, Richardson has the correct mindset entering the season. However, he will also have more competition for carries with Vick Ballard and Ahmad Bradshaw returning from injury.

The 22-year-old Richardson believes his play in 2014 can compensate for the first-round draft pick general manager Ryan Grigson gave up last year. However, the Colts will be missing an infusion of defensive talent that could have come via that first-rounder now held by the Cleveland Browns.

In the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast," the guys talk Geno Smith's future in New York and pick the winners and losers of free agency.

At only 22 y/o he's right. I'd still take him over any of the RB's coming in this season.

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

Last time I heard something like this Jerry Jones was proudly proclaiming the Cowboys' first round pick was Roy Williams.

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

At only 22 y/o he's right. I'd still take him over any of the RB's coming in this season.

that's not saying much.

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

I love the contrite tone of his quotes.

Colts RB Trent Richardson admits trying to do too much in 2013

Stephen Holder

After the most disappointing football season of his career, Trent Richardson went back and watched. And studied. And contemplated.

What he discovered during those hours of reviewing film of his 2013 performance was that he failed to produce enough (averaging 2.9 yards per carry in 14 games with the Indianapolis Colts) because he was trying to do too much.

"You catch yourself trying to hit the home run when you haven't had the big runs yet," Richardson said after off-season conditioning Wednesday at the Colts' complex.

"It's human. But you can't hit the home run. You have to set up your runs. That's one thing, (because of) not having as much success as I've always had, you catch yourself saying, 'I gotta score, I gotta score.' "

Ultimately, all that did was limit Richardson's production last season. While looking for the big runs, he missed too many short ones. The bruising, tackle-breaking Richardson seen at the University of Alabama and, at times, as a rookie with the Cleveland Browns, was nowhere to be found.

Perhaps a renewed approach in 2014 will be the difference.

"When I (missed) the cuts and the holes, I said, 'Dang, how the heck did I miss that?' " Richardson said. " 'How in the world did I miss that?' That's second nature. You never miss a cut. You get as much yards as you can get at every opportunity."

The Colts are looking to stabilize their running game in 2014, as it remains fundamental to their offensive scheme. And that effort goes well beyond Richardson.

It will be at least a three-man undertaking, with Richardson, Ahmad Bradshaw and Vick Ballard vying for precious carries.

There's a common bond between these men. Each member of this running back group must answer vital questions:

>> Can Richardson atone for last season's ineffectiveness?

>> Can Bradshaw take a pounding with two fused vertebrae in his neck?

>> Can Ballard bounce back from a knee injury that has doomed many running backs before him?

"Everybody looks for us to fail," said Bradshaw, re-signed to a one-year deal last month. "I just think we'll complement each other so well this year."

The Colts could use the boost. Indianapolis ranked 21st in rushing offense last season, and leading rusher Donald Brown (537 yards) is now wearing a San Diego Chargers uniform. So, the job of improving the ground game becomes an all-or-nothing proposition for the current running back trio. They will be considered disappointments or be seen as over-comers.

As if the mere competition wasn't motivation enough.

"I feel like all three of us are going to compete at our highest level and the best person will play," Ballard said.

In a moment of honesty, those in the Colts' brass would say they prefer to see Richardson grab hold of the opportunity, get untracked and rebound. He'll make the most money of the three backs and the Colts gave up the most to get him in this year's first-round draft pick.

For his sake, Richardson is not being shy about telling anyone who will listen that he expects the same.

"There's a lot of personal expectations," he said. "I want to be one of those backs that everybody compares all these other backs to."

Richardson balanced his self-criticism by adding something surprising: He feels better now about his play last season than he did while in the midst of his struggles.

"I've been looking at a lot of film," he said. "I didn't do as bad as I thought I did last year."

He arrived at this conclusion, he said, after observing on film how fiercely defenses attempted to slow him.

"It made me stronger (seeing) a lot of people still respect me," Richardson said. "They were stacking 10 (defenders) in the box, nine in the box. You didn't see that for every team, especially when you have a quarterback like Andrew Luck and you have receivers out there like T.Y. (Hilton) and Reggie (Wayne)."

When Richardson looked back, he felt the view wasn't as bad. When he looks ahead, he sees even greater things. When the season kicks off in September and he takes his first carry, he wants to leave everyone wanting more.

"I want everybody," he said, "to be on the edge of their seats."

Edited by Faust

It's funny that every time he gets interviewed it seems like you see him talking about how he wants to get better and then you get gems like this:

Richardson balanced his self-criticism by adding something surprising: He feels better now about his play last season than he did while in the midst of his struggles.

"I've been looking at a lot of film," he said. "I didn't do as bad as I thought I did last year."

He arrived at this conclusion, he said, after observing on film how fiercely defenses attempted to slow him.

"It made me stronger (seeing) a lot of people still respect me," Richardson said. "They were stacking 10 (defenders) in the box, nine in the box. You didn't see that for every team, especially when you have a quarterback like Andrew Luck and you have receivers out there like T.Y. (Hilton) and Reggie (Wayne)."

I can't recall exactly, but I thought only McGahee, who is probably done in the NFL now, was worse than he was for people who got enough carries (150+). It sure makes sense to me that DCs were going all out to take TRich out of the game and challenging Luck to beat them. Taking TRich out of the game is like cutting the head off of the dragon.

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson says he's "knows" the Colts playbook now, as opposed to last year when he merely "remembered" it.

Richardson was traded to the Colts two games into last season. We'll accept that it's not an ideal situation, but he should have "known" the plays within a month or so. Richardson's excuses are going to fall on deaf ears until he proves last year was a fluke on the field. The first step will be soundly beating out Ahmad Bradshaw and Vick Ballard at training camp.
Source: colts.com

Trent Richardson: I know the Colts' playbook now

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Back during Super Bowl week, Colts tight end Coby Fleener stood up for Trent Richardson, saying it's far too early to write off the running back after he struggled to learn Indy's playbook on the fly.

"I think part of it is you're coming into an offense that's probably one of the most complex in the NFL," Fleener told Around The League. "And so for him to play a week after being there was impressive because it took me a year and a half to learn the offense."

Richardson insists it won't take him nearly that long, telling the the team's official website Wednesday: "I remembered the playbook last year. I know it now."

Time will tell. Richardson was at his best last season when the Colts unleashed him in open space, giving him room to flash the burst and power he was known for at Alabama. Those moments were rare, though, as he too often appeared indecisive behind his blockers.

His 458 rushing yards at 2.9 yards per clip raised more questions than answers, but Richardson claims the offense has become more instinctual, saying: "It's much easier and it's slowing down a lot, so it's making the game much better for me."

These are the springtime reports we expected. The Colts remain locked on the concept of Richardson as their bell-cow back, but what we witnessed last season can't be chalked up to playbook issues alone. T-Rich is under the gun to turn it around in a hurry.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" breaks out the crystal ball and predicts the potential surprises that could shake up the NFL Draft.

Would any of you T-Rich haters (including myself) do this deal to get him:

Give pick 4 this year

Get Richardson and a 2015 1st (team very unlikely to make the playoffs)

Edited by ghostguy123

No.

No.

:goodposting:

lol. Well, it pretty much is Richardson for free. Excellent chance the 2015 pick is pick 4 or even better.

Just depends how much you devalue future picks I guess

I would do that. I'll take Richardson over any back in this class and if it's not Watkins or OBJ, the WR's too.

No.

No.

lol. Well, it pretty much is Richardson for free. Excellent chance the 2015 pick is pick 4 or even better.

And opportunity lost. Rostering Richardson means not rostering a player that could help you.

No.

No.

And opportunity lost. Rostering Richardson means not rostering a player that could help you.

What have any of the rookies proven in college that Richardson didn't? He's just as old as majority of the RB's.

ETA: Or younger

Edited by werdnoynek

No.

No.

What have any of the rookies proven in college that Richardson didn't? He's just as old as majority of the RB's.

I'll take an unproven player in the pros over a proven to suck player in the pros. College no longer applies to Trent Richardson other than to figure out what went wrong (which is obvious now).

Well, forget college, he has proven to SUCK in the NFL. I think thats 100x more important than his college accolades.

But..........................for the price of a roster spot....................................could be worth a gamble

His 12 scores and 51 catches in 2012 masked the fact that he kind of sucked as a rookie, too (3.6 YPC and didn't even break 1,000 yards). And given how dreadful he looked in 2013, the only gamble I'll take with him in 2014 is grabbing him for a dollar or two in auctions, which I suspect will be difficult to do since nearly every league will have an owner or three who will have it in their head that he'll be good this year and will be willing to spend bucks on him. Unless reviews are positively glowing this summer and then he looks great in the preseason, I will not be that person.

His 12 scores and 51 catches in 2012 masked the fact that he kind of sucked as a rookie, too (3.6 YPC and didn't even break 1,000 yards). And given how dreadful he looked in 2013, the only gamble I'll take with him in 2014 is grabbing him for a dollar or two in auctions, which I suspect will be difficult to do since nearly every league will have an owner or three who will have it in their head that he'll be good this year and will be willing to spend bucks on him. Unless reviews are positively glowing this summer and then he looks great in the preseason, I will not be that person.

One thought is that he looks good in preseason like once or twice or has a good regular season game, and then deal him.

Give pick 4 this year

The backs in next year's draft look like a better crop of talent, and are probably headed to much better situations. 1.4 is likely to get you the third best receiver or the best RB, but next year's pick could be much more valuable on its own. Add in the possibility that Richardson's stock improves enough for you to trade him for quality return (since it seems hard to convince you that he's worth owning) and you have to make this deal.

Give pick 4 this year

I'd do it unless I was really weak at WR. Lots of homerun potential if the other guy's team craps the bed and the pick ends up top 2 or so. I'm no Richardson fan, but he's worth a roster spot -- a few decent games and the hype will start up again and open up a selling window.

It is hard to count out any RB that has a bit of talent but more importantly an opportunity to get touches in the NFL. Guys like Lynch were given up on from their former teams and traded (for way less than Richardson mind you) only to become great players. Even guys that were as good as dead like Moreno found a way to put up numbers due to situation and touches.

I would say it is 50/50 that Richardson turns around his career like Thomas Jones did and becomes a capable NFL back. I don't know what that is worth in fantasy circles though.

• Like 1

Give pick 4 this year

The backs in next year's draft look like a better crop of talent, and are probably headed to much better situations. 1.4 is likely to get you the third best receiver or the best RB, but next year's pick could be much more valuable on its own. Add in the possibility that Richardson's stock improves enough for you to trade him for quality return (since it seems hard to convince you that he's worth owning) and you have to make this deal.

No. I would rather have the upside of the 1.4. I put Richardson's value at a mid-second round pick. But if I were seriously considering him I think I would wait until after the draft because I think IND will draft a RB and that will lower Richardson's perceived value in any case.

Edited by az_prof

Give pick 4 this year

No. I would rather have the upside of the 1.4. I put Richardson's value at a mid-second round pick. But if I were seriously considering him I think I would wait until after the draft because I think IND will draft a RB and that will lower Richardson's perceived value in any case.

Indianaplois does not have a first or fourth round pick, which means that they only have five draft picks. With Richardson, Ballard and Bradshaw already on the roster and with limited draft picks, I'm guessing they do not draft a RB.

I don't know, that's not exactly a group of RBs if be happy about entering the season with. Bradshaw is an injury waiting to happen. Maybe they don't draft someone but I can't see them not adding a RB. Perhaps rookie FA type is the way they go.

I don't know, that's not exactly a group of RBs if be happy about entering the season with. Bradshaw is an injury waiting to happen. Maybe they don't draft someone but I can't see them not adding a RB. Perhaps rookie FA type is the way they go.

Well, yes. I wasn't saying there's no way they add another RB, but with only 5 picks and having already (indirectly) used their first round pick on a RB I doubt they draft one. They did think enough of Bradshaw to re-sign him, as he was on a one yera deal last season.

I really hope he comes back strong this year, not because I own him in a few leagues, but just to silence all the haters that where no where to be found after year one, but came out in droves after last season.

I really hope he comes back strong this year, not because I own him in a few leagues, but just to silence all the haters that where no where to be found after year one, but came out in droves after last season.

There were plenty of haters after year one, Couer de Lion and Tanner were both very outspoken against him. They were right on the money, at least for last year

Those 2 may have been the ONLY ones. He went top 5-7 in start ups for a reason. A lot of people believed.

Those 2 may have been the ONLY ones. He went top 5-7 in start ups for a reason. A lot of people believed.

I thought he looked liked nothing special after year 1, at all

So the Brownies essentially traded Richardson for Manziel. Advantage, Cleveland.

a bad QB can #### up a franchise more than a bad RB.

This is the official Trent forum...

Why would someone start a new one?

This is the official Trent forum...

Why would someone start a new one?

Better question - why are you trying to resurrect? Let it die..let it die...