Faust

Dynasty: QB Teddy Bridgewater, NY Jets

944 posts in this topic

I would love it if Bridgewater can play this year but he needs to prove he can protect himself on the field as Zimmer has already said.

I am still waiting to see it before I will believe it. What little I have seen of him, I haven't seen his mobility being back where it needs to be. One of Teddys best traits was his pocket prescience and ability to avoid the pass rush. Not sure this is a strength of his anymore. He still needed a lot of improvement in other areas to be a franchise QB

Start Teddy Bridgewater

I asked Cian Fahey, a quarterback analyst for ESPN and host of the Nickel Package Podcast, about the decision facing the Vikings, and Fahey was pessimistic about Bridgewater’s initial play quality.

“It typically takes a quarterback time to regain confidence in a surgically repaired knee,” he argued. “It took Sam Bradford about 10 weeks to fully recover from his second ACL tear; he was a bad quarterback during that stage but thrived over the second half of that season.

“That’s the quandary with Bridgewater. There’s a strong chance he’s worse than Keenum in the short term but he needs to play if he’s going to be valuable in the long term. In the long term you know you’re not winning a Super Bowl with Keenum. You’re probably not with Bridgewater this year either but he offers you a better chance”

Arif discusses other QBs coming back from ACL injury and how they have done on return. Joe Flacco, Carson Palmer and Donovan McNabb.

Flacco and Palmer are pocket passers that do not compare well to Teddy in my opinion, although perhaps this is the type of QB Teddy could be moving forward if he has lost some of his mobility. McNabb is likely a closer comparison as far as play style to Teddy prior to the injury. McNabb has already established his development prior to the injury than Teddy was in my opinion though.

In any case he lays out that Teddy has had more time to recover than any of these other examples, and therefore ready to play from a health standpoint. The question for me is how well can Teddy play?

Another interesting tidbit:

Much of this has to do, as Klassen referenced, with the high rate of contested passes. It just so happens that Diggs and Thielen are remarkably talented contested target catchers, ranking first and eighth in the NFL at winning contested catches. While injury has prevented regression to the mean for Diggs (for now), Thielen has seen his contested catch rate drop from when he was second in the NFL a few weeks ago.

I am somewhat surprised to Diggs and Theilen rated this high converting contested catches. Thats good for Keenum or any QB. Without question Teddy was a more accurate passer than Keenum has been, with better ball placement as well to lead a receiver and put the ball where the defender cannot make a play on it.

Overall a good article by Arif (as usual) where he details a pretty compelling argument for why Brdgewater will be an upgrade over Case Keenum as the starter. It makes sense and I agree with that. I just need to see Teddy play, and how well he can play before I will actually believe it.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Teddy Bridgewater is "throwing better than he was" before his knee injury.

Bridgewater has been setback-free over the last two weeks of practice. He’s expected to be active Sunday, but won’t start after a 15-month layoff. It’s a conservative move with Bridgewater close to fully healthy. The Vikings have four straight wins but are a limited offense with Case Keenum — a game-managing journeyman on an expiring deal. It’s possible Bridgewater regains his starting role in Week 11.

Source: NFL Network 

Nov 10 - 7:02 PM

Reassessing the Vikings QB Situation

I think the author makes an interesting point in regards to the time to throw difference and sack difference between Keenum and Bridgewater. These are factors in Keenums favor by these comparisons. However it is important to point out that Teddy was playing in Norv Turners offense which required more 5 and 7 step drops and therefore a longer time to throw the ball than the current Pat Shurmur offense. Also the improved offensive line play this season as compared to what Teddy was playing behind in 2015. Furthermore the skill players in 2017 more developed than what Bridgewater has in rookie Stefon Diggs and Mike Wallace. Adam Theilen had not emerged yet in 2015.

Where I think Teddy is better than Keenum is his accuracy and ball placement. If Teddy can get the ball out quicker and take fewer sacks in the new offensive system, I do think he will be better than Keenum as the starter, but Teddy still has a lot to prove on the field before I could say he is clearly a better QB than Keenum is.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said he will evaluate the starting quarterback job on a "day-to-day" basis.

"I've got a plan," Zimmer said. "Sometimes plans change. We'll see how it goes, and we'll sit down this week, and we'll visit about it and go from there." Case Keenum threw for 304 yards and four touchdowns in another win on Sunday, but he also tossed two interceptions in the second half which made things more interesting. Keenum has done enough to keep the job for now, but Teddy Bridgewater looks destined to start at some point this season.

Related: Case Keenum

Source: ESPN

Nov 13 - 9:56 AM

On 11/16/2017 at 11:01 PM, zoonation said:

Teddy will be leading this team by Christmas.  

Nope. 

No QB controversy after Teddy played.

I would have liked to see Teddy get more opportunity than he did.

They just ran the ball on 1st and 2nd down setting up 3rd and short for his two throws.

Clearly some jitters for Teddy on his first throw. He had some happy feet about the pass rush. Throw was a bit high and the receiver dropped it resulting in the interception. At least part Teddys fault though. He could throw a better pass than that.

The drop by FLoyd Teddy may have thrown it a bit hard. Still on Floyd to catch that.

I think it was good for Teddy to get some game action and some of the nervousness out of the way.

No controversy about Keenum being the starter though. If Teddy had a good drive then there may have been some from the fans anyways.

9 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

No QB controversy after Teddy played.

I would have liked to see Teddy get more opportunity than he did.

They just ran the ball on 1st and 2nd down setting up 3rd and short for his two throws.

Clearly some jitters for Teddy on his first throw. He had some happy feet about the pass rush. Throw was a bit high and the receiver dropped it resulting in the interception. At least part Teddys fault though. He could throw a better pass than that.

The drop by FLoyd Teddy may have thrown it a bit hard. Still on Floyd to catch that.

I think it was good for Teddy to get some game action and some of the nervousness out of the way.

No controversy about Keenum being the starter though. If Teddy had a good drive then there may have been some from the fans anyways.

I know what you're saying but have a hard time believing anyone could be that dumb.

13 minutes ago, Tool said:

I know what you're saying but have a hard time believing anyone could be that dumb.

There is a lot of love for Teddy Bridgewater among the Vikings fanbase. You might be surprised with some of the things people have been saying over the past couple months, basically since Teddy was activated.

I am a fan of his as well and I am not blind to some of Keenums deficiencies as a QB. Keenum has balls of steel through and I expect the Vikings to sink or swim with him as their QB for the rest of the season.

I would have liked to see Teddy play better than he did and I do think he is capable of doing so. Good to get some of the nervousness out of the way. If something did happen to Case at some point the Vikings will need Teddy to be ready. He can only get ready by actually playing in games.

5 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

There is a lot of love for Teddy Bridgewater among the Vikings fanbase. You might be surprised with some of the things people have been saying over the past couple months, basically since Teddy was activated.

I am a fan of his as well and I am not blind to some of Keenums deficiencies as a QB. Keenum has balls of steel through and I expect the Vikings to sink or swim with him as their QB for the rest of the season.

I would have liked to see Teddy play better than he did and I do think he is capable of doing so. Good to get some of the nervousness out of the way. If something did happen to Case at some point the Vikings will need Teddy to be ready. He can only get ready by actually playing in games.

Where does all the love for Bridgewater come from? Is it sympathy for his injury? Is he a really nice guy? Frankly I never thought he was that great before he got hurt. I understand OL and we weren’t as good but don’t quite get it. Keenum May have deficiencies as you say but doesn’t Bridgewater also have deficiencies?

1 minute ago, Tool said:

Where does all the love for Bridgewater come from? Is it sympathy for his injury? Is he a really nice guy? Frankly I never thought he was that great before he got hurt. I understand OL and we weren’t as good but don’t quite get it. Keenum May have deficiencies as you say but doesn’t Bridgewater also have deficiencies?

Its all about potential with Bridgewater.

He was poised to take the next step in his development before the injury, so we always wonder what could have been.

It is mostly because Bridgewater is such a nice guy that people like him though.

He does show some very good traits to become a very good QB but those things haven't been proven yet. It is still just potential. One of his better traits, pocket presence and mobility to escape the pass rush and extend plays still in question now after the injury. He had happy feet on his first pass attempt today. Not something he has really shown before. He was clearly nervous there.

As a passer he has shown very good touch and accuracy, and those things were not there on his two throws in the game.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, mr roboto said:

Nope. 

Yeah. Was wrong about that one for sure. 

Teddy Bridgewater said he "definitely" sees himself as a starter in 2018.

The Vikings have big decisions to make at quarterback with all three of Bridgewater, Case Keenum, and Sam Bradford headed to free agency. The best-case scenario for the Vikings would be to re-sign Bridgewater as a backup for either Keenum or Bradford, but it sounds like he wants a real shot at a No. 1 job. Of course, that opportunity may prove difficult to find considering he has attempted two passes since 2015 because of a serious knee injury. Bridgewater's market will be one of the more interesting to monitor this spring.

Source: Dane Mizutani on Twitter 

Jan 22 - 12:15 PM

15 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

ESPN had an article about winners/losers of the Alex Smith trade. Keenum was a loser, as he is no longer the top QB on the FA market, but they had some interesting things to say about MIN's QB situation. Even saying MIN could go for Cousins... which is possible. 

I think Bridgewater is a super sleeper candidate for next season. I've made my thoughts on his future known long ago, and I would be surprised if he was at the same or better than he was before his injury, but I think he should be at least on par with what Keenum did, if not better. And Keenum got them 1 game from the Super Bowl. 

MIN is definitely a favorite in my eyes as the 2019 Super Bowl NFC representative. What they do at QB is a major factor though. If they go nuts and go for Cousins I think it's hard to see them losing more than 3-4 games. If they stick with Bridgewater, they should at the very least be a playoff team and a contender for the Super Bowl. But it's so unknown because who knows... Bridgewater could have a pro bowl season. He certainly had the talent before his injury, and from the sounds of it he's looking good since coming back. Something to watch for fantasy purposes because whoever is starting is a pretty big sleeper candidate for someone wanting to wait to draft a QB

Rick Spielman answered question about if Bridgewater is eleigable for the 5th year option due to his contract tolling or not.

On the potential of tolling Bridgewater’s control, Spielman said the issue will be in the hands of the NFL and the NFL Players Association.

“Right now, he’s technically ready to become a free agent,” Spielman said. “With the tolling, I know you guys wrote about all that, if it goes into that area, it’s not a Minnesota Viking (decision), that an NFL and player union that will have to decide that area.”

So he is basically up to the NFLPA as to if this is an option for Spielman or not.

4 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

ESPN had an article about winners/losers of the Alex Smith trade. Keenum was a loser, as he is no longer the top QB on the FA market, but they had some interesting things to say about MIN's QB situation. Even saying MIN could go for Cousins... which is possible. 

I think Bridgewater is a super sleeper candidate for next season. I've made my thoughts on his future known long ago, and I would be surprised if he was at the same or better than he was before his injury, but I think he should be at least on par with what Keenum did, if not better. And Keenum got them 1 game from the Super Bowl. 

MIN is definitely a favorite in my eyes as the 2019 Super Bowl NFC representative. What they do at QB is a major factor though. If they go nuts and go for Cousins I think it's hard to see them losing more than 3-4 games. If they stick with Bridgewater, they should at the very least be a playoff team and a contender for the Super Bowl. But it's so unknown because who knows... Bridgewater could have a pro bowl season. He certainly had the talent before his injury, and from the sounds of it he's looking good since coming back. Something to watch for fantasy purposes because whoever is starting is a pretty big sleeper candidate for someone wanting to wait to draft a QB

Cmon man. Way too early for this and they have a very tough slate of opponents next season. 

Fantasy-wise, I hope they go with someone other than Teddy.  14 TDs per season just ain't cutting it.  Or at least let me dump my Rudolph & Diggs shares before announcing him the starter.

14 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Cmon man. Way too early for this and they have a very tough slate of opponents next season. 

The north will continue to be a very tough division. MIN will have games vs the eagles, Saints, and rams next year. GB will have Rodgers back and be playing the 3rd place nfc teams, Detroit has some work to do in the trenches roster wise but will probably be in the conversation late in the year. Chicago was better than expected, especially on defense, and will have continuity on that side of the ball. Certainly not a pushover at soldier field and likely will take a step forward imo. Then assuming they get to the playoffs they have to navigate a very competitive nfc. Nfc south is probably the strongest in football, I think the north is close behind. 

25 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

The north will continue to be a very tough division. MIN will have games vs the eagles, Saints, and rams next year. GB will have Rodgers back and be playing the 3rd place nfc teams, Detroit has some work to do in the trenches roster wise but will probably be in the conversation late in the year. Chicago was better than expected, especially on defense, and will have continuity on that side of the ball. Certainly not a pushover at soldier field and likely will take a step forward imo. Then assuming they get to the playoffs they have to navigate a very competitive nfc. Nfc south is probably the strongest in football, I think the north is close behind. 

They are also at NE. Do I expect it to happen, of course not, but the Vikings could lose all of their away games next season...probably excluding the Jets. 

Chi

Det

GB

Rams

Seattle

NE

Phil. 

Add in home games against NO, Buffalo and I think a vastly improved 49ers and saying its hard to see 3-4 losses is ridiculous. 

10 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

They are also at NE. Do I expect it to happen, of course not, but the Vikings could lose all of their away games next season...probably excluding the Jets. 

Chi

Det

GB

Rams

Seattle

NE

Phil. 

Add in home games against NO, Buffalo and I think a vastly improved 49ers and saying its hard to see 3-4 losses is ridiculous. 

It’s the offseason, we’re all hope peddlers. 

18 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Them getting Cousins was a qualifier for that statement. 

Their defense is scary good. Give it another year of development and their DBs may be the best group in the league (move over Seattle). 

They have the best young RB in the league- likely ROY if he didn't get hurt

Their WRs are among the best duos in the league

Only thing missing is a stud QB... and while Cousins may not be a HOFer he's definitely a very good QB in his prime. If MIN gets Cousins, what is their weak point? IMO none.  

2 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Chi

Det

GB

Rams

Seattle

NE

Phil. 

If they get Cousins there is no way they lose at CHI, DET, SEA. They may lose at PHI, LAR is a tricky one, GB is always a toss up but MIN has more talent that GB on both sides of the ball today, and NE is NE but we have no idea what NE will look like with another year of aging on their stars. Yes, if they go with Bridgewater I think it's more likely they lose a couple more games than 3-4, but if they upgrade at QB its hard to see them doing worse next year. 

They went 13-3 with a third string QB no one seemed to want as their 2nd string and without the next best thing at RB for most of the season. Hard to see them doing worse if they nab the best FA QB to come around in probably the last decade (his age, he's in his prime, and he's had success) and a very likely would have been candidate for ROY at RB. :shrug: 

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, squistion said:

Report: Jets turn attention to Bridgewater with Cousins off market:

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1504125

Looks like it’s the Jets. Contract reportedly being finalized 

Edited by Tool

According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, free agent Teddy Bridgewater has "a few choices."

She added that nothing is "imminent." A few hours ago it looked like Bridgewater was headed to the Jets but New York complicated things by signing Josh McCown. The Jets have the cap space to sign both, though Bridgewater would surely prefer to play somewhere he can start. Perhaps the Bills, who are looking to replace Tyrod Taylor, will get involved.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 13 - 6:50 PM

35 minutes ago, Faust said:

According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, free agent Teddy Bridgewater has "a few choices."

She added that nothing is "imminent." A few hours ago it looked like Bridgewater was headed to the Jets but New York complicated things by signing Josh McCown. The Jets have the cap space to sign both, though Bridgewater would surely prefer to play somewhere he can start. Perhaps the Bills, who are looking to replace Tyrod Taylor, will get involved.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 13 - 6:50 PM

Maybe I'm nuts but I'd bet there's a chance he can start over Mccown.

Teddy Bridgewater's one-year, $6 million deal with the Jets contains just $500,000 guaranteed.

The only guaranteed portion of the deal is Teddy's $500K signing bonus. The base value of the one-year contract is $6 million with another $9 million available in incentives, which seem increasingly unlikely for Bridgewater to reach after the Jets traded up to the No. 3 overall pick, almost certainly targeting a quarterback. It's not out of the question that the Jets could end up releasing Bridgewater before the season and going with the rookie and Josh McCown.

Source: Dan Graziano on Twitter 

Mar 19 - 2:11 PM