What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Teddy Bridgewater, DET (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

ESPN.com's Mel Kiper had Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater dropping to the Vikings at No. 8 in a mock draft published earlier this week.
As Johnny Manziel's draft stock starts to sizzle, Bridgewater's has begun to fizzle. NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah even wrote earlier this week that "several" teams didn't have a first-round grade on him. "In terms of his ability as a passer, Bridgewater could go higher," Kiper wrote. "But while I currently have him rated as the top QB on my Big Board, Bridgewater will need to prove to teams that he can command an NFL huddle and be the face of a franchise. I think he has the necessary physical tools to succeed, and shows an advanced approach with his footwork, anticipation, pre-snap command and ability to improvise. He's a very good value here for a team with a huge need at the position. Whether he can start right away is a question we'll need more time to answer."

Source: ESPN Insider

lod01 said:
This guy is now my #4 QB but it will take about 4-5 years to see that. There are 2 QBs that won't start right off the bat because NFL coaches are afraid to take the chance on the better small school prospects. If either Mathews or Wenning get picked by the Broncos, they will be a star. Once they sit behind Manning and learn for 2 years, they will get the start with far more valuable knowledge than the others. Not sold on Oswilder.

Mathews

Wenning

Bortles

Bridgewater

Garrapolo

Manziel

Fales

That's my ranking order but it will take time to shake out.
Bridgewater is the clear #1. I don't know how anyone has anything to back up otherwise. Get off recency bias train of the Shrine guys. Mathews has a great arm, but he's slow to process things.

I don't know how you can be so confident in ranking Mathews and Wenning so high, yet put a condition on their success. Mathews isn't much different from Osweiler talentwise, and size-wise.

Garropolo has been the best QB at the Shrine game/practices. Not sure how you have him below the other two.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Caplan writes that "size is going to be a factor for some teams" with Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater.
"Some people think he'll measure closer to 6-foot-1," Caplan tweeted. The vultures (not Caplan) are beginning to descend around Bridgewater. The consensus No. 1 pick during the regular season appears to have been supplanted by Johnny Manziel by some national analysts. Your friendly draft correspondents at Rotoworld refuse to get pulled under by the riptide: Bridgewater remains our No. 1 quarterback.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
This is hilarious. There's no way he's 6'1". He's the same height as DeVante Parker, who is listed at 6'3" and towers over DBs.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/DeVante%2BParker%2BTeddy%2BBridgewater%2BEastern%2BKentucky%2BdrV9HAJ8Ig2l.jpg

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Caplan writes that "size is going to be a factor for some teams" with Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater.

"Some people think he'll measure closer to 6-foot-1," Caplan tweeted. The vultures (not Caplan) are beginning to descend around Bridgewater. The consensus No. 1 pick during the regular season appears to have been supplanted by Johnny Manziel by some national analysts. Your friendly draft correspondents at Rotoworld refuse to get pulled under by the riptide: Bridgewater remains our No. 1 quarterback.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
This is hilarious. There's no way he's 6'1". He's the same height as DeVante Parker, who is listed at 6'3" and towers over DBs.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/DeVante%2BParker%2BTeddy%2BBridgewater%2BEastern%2BKentucky%2BdrV9HAJ8Ig2l.jpg
all this talk on his questionable size, none on his incredible accuracy. This is how misinformed opinions are developed.

How does Teddy Bridgewater compare to recent top QB prospects?

Peter Bukowski

click on the linked article to see the related video clips

If an NFL team isn't sure it has a franchise quarterback, it doesn't. There are no "maybes" when it comes to the most important player on the field. And the old adage is you can't pass on a franchise quarterback in the draft unless you have a franchise quarterback on the roster.

Twenty of the league's opening-day starters at quarterback in 2013 were first-round picks. That leaves teams like Houston, Cleveland, Minnesota, Jacksonville, Oakland and others scouting the college ranks for a signal-caller who could change their fortunes.

Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater leads the discussion as the presumptive No. 1 pick, the top quarterback in the draft with a quarterback-needy team (Houston) making the pick.

But can he turn the Texans around? Is he the sort of elite No. 1 overall pick capable of shifting the tide for a team saddled with a culture of disappointment last season?

"I've seen a lot of Teddy. I don't have him in [Andrew] Luck's class as a prospect," one veteran NFC scout told SI.com.

"I don't see Bridgewater as a franchise savior like RGIII was in Washington ... Now if he went to the Houston Texans, which is a damn good team already, could he turn them around kind of like the Chiefs did this year? Yeah, he could."

When asked to compare Bridgewater to recent No. 1 picks at the quarterback position, the scout wasn't sold on how Bridgewater stacks up.

"I think when you look at a guy like Sam Bradford, he was damn good in college. I loved that guy. He was pinpoint accurate, with ball placement, timing, arm strength. He had all those areas [better than Bridgewater]. "

It's important to remember that how a player projects as a prospect doesn't preclude him from outperforming that grade as a pro. Just look at Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Bradford has underwhelmed as an NFL player, but remember, the former Oklahoma standout was an elite prospect entering the draft.

In fact, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers team operations coordinator Joe Bussell believes Bradford is the closest comparable recent quarterback to Bridgewater.

"I think a good comparison -- and one that might scare people away -- is Sam Bradford. Bradford's mediocre production in the NFL will frighten some, but if you remove access to those results, Bradford is one of the most highly-touted quarterbacks ever, coming out of the 2010 draft," Bussell explained.

"He received high grades in accuracy, congruent with what I see in Bridgewater. While, [Matthew] Stafford was one of those QBs that [needed] a couple years to grow in the NFL as we've seen, Bridgewater is the type [that] can come in and start immediately, while making minimal mistakes as he learns on the job."

It was clear, speaking with NFL evaluators current and former, that Bridgewater isn't in the tier of players like Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, or even Matthew Stafford in terms of pure physical ability and talent. But that doesn't take the shine off his potential star in the NFL.

In fact, the comparison many have favored when speaking of Bridgewater is Russell Wilson, a former third-round pick. Bridgewater is taller, 6-foot-3, but is slight of build and doesn't have the cannon arm of other elite prospects like Stafford or even Bradford. Coincidentally, many said of Wilson at Wisconsin that if he were taller, he would certainly be a first-round pick.

Like Wilson, Bridgewater is an efficient, accurate passer, who can improvise and beat defenses with his feet when the play breaks down. It's hard to see a play like the touchdown pass he threw against Cincinnati in December and not see flashes of Russell Wilson. His ability to throw on the move with accuracy has even been compared to Aaron Rodgers, the best in the league at beating defenses from outside the pocket.

"The thing I love about Bridgewater is that we don't have to worry [about] what he is because he's so consistent in everything he does, " Bussell insisted.

"His poise allows him to not get thrown off his game. He's accurate with the football, both from the pocket and on the move."

In the play above, Bridgewater throws to a wide-open receiver by NFL standards, but on the move, from more than 30 yards away, Bridgewater puts the ball the only place he can: to the back corner, with enough room for the receiver to make the catch in bounds.

NFL Films guru and respected talent evaluator Greg Cosell sees the Russell Wilson comparison physically. But while some point to congruencies between the two as leaders and people, Cosell dismisses the notion of the "je ne sais quoi" we often speak of with quarterbacks.

"Everything, when all is said and done, manifests itself physically," Cosell said. "You have to make throws. You can't make throws just because you're a neat guy and take your offensive linemen out to dinner.

"If a guy has big-time talent, and can play the position physically and mentally, the fact that he may have the same interpersonal skills as say Russell Wilson, doesn't matter ... I think that's what people say when they're not sure of what they're evaluating."

Cosell points to Bridgewater's lack of elite arm strength as a question in the NFL -- "Can he drive the ball?" -- and says Bridgewater's footwork also needs work, but crucial touchstones like accuracy are certainly there.

One of the central questions for Bridgewater is the competition level he faced in the Big East, which later became the AAC. He simply wasn't running up against elite-level defenses on a consistent basis.

"He'd have two games on his resume that you feel really comfortable about," former Philadelphia Eagles scout John Middlekauff told SI.com.

"It's so much easier to see a guy in the SEC or Pac-12 and every week he's got Anthony Barr or Will Sutton running at him."

Even so, Middlekauff believes Bridgewater is a legitimate Day 1 starter, but he isn't in the Matthew Stafford category as a talent, and would have been in the mix to be the third quarterback drafted in a year like 2012. As a prospect, in terms of a grade, he believes Bridgewater is similar to Ryan Tannehill, who went No. 8 to Miami in 2012.

One of the noteworthy games on Bridgewater's resume is a spectacular performance against Florida in the 2013 Sugar Bowl. In it, you see Bridgewater's accuracy on full display, his ability to slide and move in the pocket, as well as drive the ball into tight windows.

What elevates Bridgewater as a prospect, for some of his physical shortcomings, is the ability to be decisive and quick-minded in his reads.

Bussell says Bridgewater is ahead of a physically superior talent like Stafford in terms of his polish as a passer.

"Polished doesn't mean that Bridgewater has less room for improvement, It just means he has a more refined and precise skillset.

"While Bridgewater doesn't have the pure physical talent that Stafford has, I do believe he can be better than Stafford simply because of his poise and mental grasp of the game," Bussell explained.

"In essence, it's the difference between a Jay Cutler and a Tom Brady."

"Poise" can seem like a nebulous phrase, but you can see with Bridgewater that he doesn't appear to get flustered in the pocket, or by any situation he's presented with in a game.

"All the players, all the coaches, they have an unwavering faith and ability in him," said an NFL scout.

"If there's two minutes left in the game and we're on the 5-yard line, down seven, and Teddy has the ball, we're going to win. That's contagious."

No, Bridgewater isn't a once-in-a-generation talent like Andrew Luck, but that doesn't mean he can't be an effective NFL quarterback. Furthermore, despite Bridgewater not having comparable physical talent to players like Stafford, some evaluators believe Bridgewater has the acumen and confidence to be a superior NFL player.

In other words, opinions vary on just how good Bridgewater is, but the consensus -- though not unanimous -- is that he's good enough as a prospect to bring value as a potential No. 1 overall pick, especially for a team in desperate need of a quarterback.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I don't see Bridgewater as a franchise savior like RGIII was in Washington"

Not sure you can call RGIII a franchise savior when the team was 3-13 last year ( and not to mention they don't have their #1 pick this year)

Teddy Bridgewater: Being No. 1 overall draft pick is my dreamBy Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

If you're going to dream, you might as well dream big. Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater is doing just that.

Bridgewater was on WHBE-AM in Louisville on Wednesday and said that being the overall No. 1 draft pick is "my dream right now, and I'm just trying to make it come true."

The Houston Texans own the first pick in the 2014 draft, and numerous analysts have the Texans taking a quarterback -- whether it be Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel or Blake Bortles -- with the pick. Among College Football 24/7's four mock drafts, NFL Media analyst Charles Davis was the only one to have Bridgewater going No. 1 to the Texans.

Bridgewater is working out at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., to prepare for the combine and his pre-draft workouts. His appearance at the combine will be one of the most scrutinized, partly because of his size. He was listed at 6-foot-3 and 196 pounds at Louisville, and his frame has come under criticism of late.

Still, he is in play for the overall No. 1 spot. Bridgewater said he has been "purpose-driven" his entire life, and that "I just want to be that guy" who goes first.

Bridgewater also said he is looking for an agent.

"I've been advised by guys who have played in the NFL and guys who have my best interests," he said. "It's a process. When you meet people, you have to gain their trust with just one meeting. I've been talking to a couple guys and just trying to build that relationship."

Bridgewater also said some agents were "reaching out to my mom and to my brothers and sisters, just trying to say, 'Hey, I'm here,' and just trying to get their names out there."

One thing Bridgewater said he would do with his NFL money is to give his mom a present.

"When I was in third grade, I promised my mom that I would get her a pink Cadillac Escalade," he said.

Bridgewater's mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007 and currently is in remission.

"Pink is the color that represents breast cancer, so I just want to get her that big pink Escalade truck and see that big smile on her face."

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

"I don't see Bridgewater as a franchise savior like RGIII was in Washington"

Not sure you can call RGIII a franchise savior when the team was 3-13 last year ( and not to mention they don't have their #1 pick this year)
Assume that means how he was perceived prior to being drafted. It also could mean his current potential, but the word "was" indicates a prior perception, not that he is currently saving the franchise.

One of the central questions for Bridgewater is the competition level he faced in the Big East, which later became the AAC. He simply wasn't running up against elite-level defenses on a consistent basis.
The guy destroyed a Florida defense with as much NFL talent as anyone in the country, including 3 potential first round picks in the secondary, and 3 on the line.

And I don't remember Bradford being more accurate than Teddy at all. How much more accurate can a human be, throwing the football?

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler tabbed Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater the best player in the 2014 NFL Draft class.

Brugler acknowledged that he'd considered questions regarding Bridgewater's slender frame and deep ball accuracy, but they didn't sway him off the former Cardinals' star. "Bridgewater succeeds with his mobility, arm talent and efficient ability above the neck," Brugler wrote. "He is a pro-style passer who is grounded, mature and has shown the ability to easily digest information."

Prospect Profile: Teddy Bridgewater

By Russ Lande

There is little question that much of the country's focus this week is on the Super Bowl, but for the 30 NFL teams not playing this Sunday, it's all about the 2014 NFL draft. This week, we'll be offering an introduction to five players whom we are confident will be selected within the Top 10 picks of the draft. We'll review what NFL teams know about them and what's still a mystery. We started on Monday with a look at University of Buffalo defensive end/outside linebacker Khalil Mack; today we focus the spotlight on Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.

I'm always skeptical when evaluating players who have received a ton of hype, but I was pleasantly surprised by Bridgewater's overall game. Possessing a quick release and an underrated arm allows Bridgewater to easily make every NFL throw with zip and precision when his footwork is on. Out of the presumptive top five quarterbacks in the 2014 NFL draft (Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater and Zach Mettenberger), Bridgewater finished second in accuracy when I charted them out (although scouts do have one concern, which I'll delve into below). Excellent football intelligence helped him to be consistently productive against the blitz as he was able to identify where the rush was coming from, make the appropriate read and get rid of the ball quickly and on the mark to the correct receiver. Not only did his accuracy help him to make big plays, but it also made him be a much more efficient passer.

Bridgewater made few mistakes this season (31 touchdowns with only four interceptions) thanks to the aforementioned skills. Few college quarterbacks possess the athleticism to avoid sacks and buy second chances while also having a quick release and the ability to make good throws in nearly any situation. These traits are what allowed Bridgewater to consistently convert third downs into first downs to keep drives alive, something that's often overlooked. When you add up all the great things he does on film and combine that with his smarts, leadership and character, you have nearly the complete package -- which is why many expect the Texans to draft him with the first overall pick. However, there are still a few questions that have been raised.

The first relates to hand size. Scouts that have seen Bridgewater in person have told me that his right hand will measure less than nine inches -- the standard of measurement is from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the pinky on the throwing hand when the hand is pressed down and spread out on a table with a measuring tape on it -- which is basically the minimum that NFL teams consider acceptable. Small hands make it difficult to handle the ball in less than ideal weather conditions and often lead to accuracy and fumbling issues. As an underclassman who entered the draft early, Bridgewater has not been measured by combine scouts yet, which is why the question still persists. Even though some reports claim that NFL teams are also concerned about Bridgewater's general physique, numerous scouts I have spoken to are not worried about this and feel that he will add weight and fill out as most players do once they are in the NFL.

The question that cannot be answered by a quick measurement at the combine is about his inconsistent stride length. This may seem like a minor issue, but NFL teams always prefer quarterbacks who have stability in this area as it enables them to be a more predictably accurate passer. In the games I evaluated, Bridgewater showed a tendency to overstride at times, especially when he really had to get a lot of zip on the throw, which led to passes being high. While his overall accuracy was excellent, it could be that much better if his stride length were consistent on every throw for which he has the space. Scouts are interested to watch him throw at both the combine and his pro day to take a closer look at this.

The reality, though, is that when you're down to picking on a quarterback's hand size and stride length, it tells you that nearly everything they do on film is excellent. That, combined with his outstanding intangibles, means that Bridgewater has a good chance of being the first quarterback selected in the 2014 NFL draft.

Rotoworld:

Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater hired Kennard McGuire as agent.
Bridgewater can now move onto the far more important task of physically preparing for the draft. He's a potential No. 1 pick, but has lost steam since the season ended. If you're looking for a candidate for a shocking draft day slide, Bridgewater is a strong choice, but he has plenty of time left to turn the tide back around.

Source: Liz Mullen on Twitter

Teddy Bridgewater says he should've hit 80 percent of his passes

By Mike Huguenin

It turns out Teddy Bridgewater's biggest critic might be Teddy Bridgewater.

Bridgewater led the nation in completion percentage in 2013 at 71.0 percent. But he told Louisville TV station WDRB "it probably should have been 80 or 85" percent.

Bridgewater is preparing for the NFL Scouting Combine and other pre-draft events at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., and is working with former Heisman winner and NFL quarterback Chris Weinke.

As impressive as Bridgewater's completion percentage was this season, it was the lowest to lead the nation since 2009, when Texas' Colt McCoy hit on 70.6 percent of his tosses.

Three quarterbacks had better than a 71 percent completion rate in 2010, seven were better in 2011 -- including Russell Wilson (72.8), Robert Griffin III (72.4) and Andrew Luck (71.3). Two were better in 2012 -- including Geno Smith (71.2).

"When I'm tough on myself, I'm never satisfied," Bridgewater said. "I'm eager to just get better each and every day.

"Sometimes you do get too tough on yourself and you do think the impossible, but that's just the way I want to be. I want to think that I can do the impossible. I'm just going to continue to think that way. I'm just going to continue to think that way and motivate myself."

In the four most recent mock drafts on NFL.com, Bridgewater is forecast to have a relatively short wait before hearing his name called on May 8. His worst current mock draft position is No. 5 to the Oakland Raiders. His highest draft position in those mocks in No. 3 to the Jacksonville Jaguars, while two drafts peg him going to the Cleveland Browns at No. 4.

Bridgewater led Louisville to a 12-1 mark in 2013 and a 23-3 record in his final two seasons at the school. His weigh-in at the combine is eagerly anticipated; he has come under criticism for his lack of bulk. He was listed at 6-foot-3 and 196 pounds at Louisville.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Bridgewater should live at McDonalds until the Combine and get up to 220 lbs. :)
You watch! Bridgewater is going to be stud. I hope the Raiders can get him, if not Bortles. The weight concern is overblown by people looking too hard to try and find warts, any kind of warts to pin on Bridgewater.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Bridgewater should live at McDonalds until the Combine and get up to 220 lbs. :)
You watch! Bridgewater is going to be stud. I hope the Raiders can get him, if not Bortles. The weight concern is overblown by people looking too hard to try and find warts, any kind of warts to pin on Bridgewater.
Agreed. There is always an anomaly to rules. Bridgewater has the makings of being a very good NFL qb and if people pass on him for being a touch light he will end up burning them like Wilson did for being shorter than the normal. Bridgewater is not made of glass. He may be a touch light, but I don't see that being much of an issue if he can make all the throws, has good pocket awareness, makes the proper reads etc.

If Bridgewater fails at the NFL level, it won't be because he is light in weight.

Maybe you guy missed this hit... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFfLMsH2gQg

That was Bridgewater getting crushed in the first play of last years Bowl game by John Bostic (Bostic was drafted 2nd round and had 50 tackles this year for the Bears). You can't get hit harder than that. What did Bridgewater do after that hit? He threw for 266 yards and 2 tds in the upset win over Florida.

People are underestimating how high of a ceiling he has due to being a touch light. That is silly.

Rodgers was light and lacked prototypical size (205-210 lbs. at the time?), fell in the draft and many teams regretted that.

Rotoworld:

Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater's throwing skill set and movement "will remind some of Russell Wilson," according to NFL Films' Greg Cosell.

"He's got all the arm strength to make all the necessary throws, but he doesn't have a gun," Cosell said. We understand concerns about Bridgewater's smaller-than-expected frame and deep ball accuracy, but are smitten with the former Cardinals' star's eye level and pocket movement. He's a potential No. 1 pick, and he remains the No. 1 QB on our board.

Source: Sports790.com

Rotoworld:

Former NFL GM Charley Casserly noted "body build" is Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater's biggest question.

"They worry about his durability, what is his strength and size potential," Casserly said. The ex-Texans decision maker also pointed out teams want to know about Bridgewater's vocal leadership. Our own Josh Norris has gone on record saying that these criticisms will be laughed at in a few years, especially the questions regarding Bridgewater's frame. He is not a reckless football player.

Source: NFL.com

I like Teddy and think he should be the #1 pick but I did find it interesting that he always wears gloves on both hands.

I like Teddy and think he should be the #1 pick but I did find it interesting that he always wears gloves on both hands.
I guess you can spin this anyway. If he plays with gloves the nice thing is he won't ever have to get used to them in cold weather situations if that were ever an option.

Kurt Warner wore gloves and was very accurate. Kurt had better ball security in any weather condition due to the gloves. I see it as a positive.

Name 5 other good QBs that wore gloves all the time. I'm honestly interested. Are his hands are an issue to scouts?

He reportedly has small hands (we'll find out at the Combine) which could lead to more fumbles. Not sure if the gloves are a compensation for the small hands?

Rotoworld:

NFL.com writer Bucky Brooks continues to rank Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater as the No. 1 QB in the draft.
Although most of Brooks' colleagues ranked Bridgewater No. 1 during the season, some have now jumped ship to Johnny Manziel or Blake Bortles. ESPN's Mel Kiper and Rotoworld's Josh Norris are two of the remaining inhabitants of Bridgewater Island with Brooks. "The most polished pocket passer in the college game has seemingly been underappreciated by the masses," wrote Brooks. "However, keen evaluators will appreciate Bridgewater's high football IQ, management skills and leadership ability as a potential franchise quarterback. Questions about his slender frame have led to concerns about his durability, but Aaron Rodgers entered the league with similar physical dimensions/athletic traits and things turned out well for the former league MVP." The former Cardinals' star's eye level and pocket movement are both elite.

Source: NFL.com

Rodgers was light and lacked prototypical size (205-210 lbs. at the time?), fell in the draft and many teams regretted that.
I think Rodgers coming out was 220+ and around the same height as Bridgewater. Maybe he'll measure out OK, just not ideal, like Andy Dalton.

He reportedly has small hands (we'll find out at the Combine) which could lead to more fumbles. Not sure if the gloves are a compensation for the small hands?
If he has small hands and short arms I'd need to see where he gets drafted to make that call. If so, you'd hope he wouldn't go to a cold weather team. Tony Romo is one of those type of guys with small hands and arms that has done well I think.

I think Rodgers coming out was 220+ and around the same height as Bridgewater. Maybe he'll measure out OK, just not ideal, like Andy Dalton.
Maybe I was thinking of his Cal profile, where he was listed at 200 lbs.? Not sure how much weight he gained for the Combine? I knew he is listed at about 225 lbs. now and thought that would have been a lot of weight gain after the Combine but wasn't sure (thus the question mark), thanks for the catch.

If he has small hands and short arms I'd need to see where he gets drafted to make that call. If so, you'd hope he wouldn't go to a cold weather team. Tony Romo is one of those type of guys with small hands and arms that has done well I think.
I do like Bridgewater a lot, it isn't an excessive concern for me, I was just thinking of a possible explanation for the gloves. But you do make an interesting point.

Teddy Bridgewater weighs in at 214 pounds at combine

By Mike Huguenin

While much of the attention Friday morning at the NFL Scouting Combine was focused on Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel measuring in at a shade less than 6 feet, two other quarterback measurements shouldn't go unnoticed.

Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, who has been dinged for his lack of bulk, measured in at 6-foot-2 and 214 pounds; he was listed at 6-3 and 196 while in school. And UCF's Blake Bortles, who was listed at 6-4 and 230 pounds while in school, actually measured in at 6-5 and 230 pounds.

Bridgewater's lack of bulk was one of the biggest criticisms of the Louisville signal-caller. While he has gained needed weight (or at least needed weight in the eyes of most analysts), the question now obviously becomes how he moves around with the extra poundage. That will make Saturday's combine workouts even more intriguing.

Thirty-seven quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round since 2000. Just two, Michael Vick in 2001 and Rex Grossman in '03, measured less than 6-2. Seven were, like Bridgewater, 6-2. Thirteen were, like Bortles, at least 6-5.

The hand-size measurements also are in. Manziel's is huge, at 9 7/8 inches. Bortles' is 9 3/8 and Bridgewater's 9 1/4.

Twitter:

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo

From 2008-13, 39 players had a hand size measuring 9.25’’ or smaller (Bridgewater: 9.25"). Only 4 avg more than 5 starts per season in NFL.

Teddy Bridgewater: I'm the best quarterback in the NFL draftBy Dan Parr

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL teams drafting early and in need of a quarterback might have more questions than answers about the top three players at the position in this year's draft.

Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater arrived at the NFL Scouting Combine looking to put some of those doubts to rest. He made his pitch to the media Saturday and didn't hesitate when asked if he's the best quarterback available.

"I feel like I'm the best quarterback in this draft," he said. "I'm not just going to sit up here and just say it. Obviously, actions have to back up these words. I'm just confident in myself and my capability to be able to play this position. I'm just going to go out and prove that I'm the best guy."

It's a rite of passage at the NFL Scouting Combine -- every high-ranking prospect is asked if he thinks he's the best player at his position in the draft, and, while answers might vary, no one ever says no.

Bridgewater's claim has legitimacy, though, and he arrived in Indianapolis hoping to strengthen it by addressing one of the biggest knocks against him -- his lean, narrow frame.

He weighed in at 214 pounds -- nine pounds heavier than he was at the end of the 2013 season -- and said he plans to add even more weight, ideally reaching a playing weight of 220-225 pounds.

"To play this position you have to have durability," Bridgewater said. "I just want to prove that I can put on that weight and I am one of those guys who can last a full NFL season."

Those with questions about his arm strength will have to wait a little longer for answers. Bridgewater confirmed he will not throw at the combine, but did say he would compete in running drills. He said he will throw March 17 at his pro day.

Bridgewater, who will no doubt meet with many NFL teams during the combine, said he met with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Oakland Raiders -- who have picks No. 3 and No. 5 overall in the 2014 NFL Draft, respectively -- on Friday.

Follow Dan Parr on Twitter @TheDan_Parr.

Rotoworld:

Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater "needs to show consistent touch and accuracy on downfield throws of 20+ yards" at his March 17 pro day, according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.
"His deep placement was streaky throughout the season and he needs to show a better feel for all vertical passes," wrote Brugler. "Bridgewater can also help himself by showing leadership traits throughout the passing drills, instructing receivers on different routes and taking full command of the field and workout. His slender body type isn't something that will change for his workout, but Bridgewater should be able to show off his efficient mobility, timing and overall arm talent." The analyst said on Twitter that "there's a solid chance" that the Browns will end up with Teddy B and added that he "can't see" Bridgewater falling out of the top-10.

Source: CBS Sports

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he's heard Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater's weight dropped to 188 pounds late in the 2013 college season.
Cosell is very plugged-in around the NFL, so we don't doubt this for a second. "He bulked up to 214 for the Combine," said Cosell. "I've spoken to people who said that late in the year at Louisville, he weighed 188." On tape, Cosell was impressed with Bridgewater's comfort in the pocket and coverage reading, but concerned about his "very slight" build and average arm strength. "He doesn't really drive the ball, Bridgewater," Cosell stated. "He's a bit of a short-armer."

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

Rotoworld:

NFL evaluators perceive Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater as being "very good in a lot of areas, but not special," according to NFL.com's Albert Breer.
"And they worry about his frame," Breer added. What makes Bridgewater special is the sweet coalescence of all his "very good" traits on the field, not his individual measurements, which are fairly mediocre (6-foot-2 and 1/8 and 214 pounds, good but not great athleticism and arm strength). For that reason, Rotoworld continues to stand behind him as the draft's No. 1 QB while some other evaluators defect to Blakes Bortles or Johnny Manziel.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Rotoworld:

NFL evaluators perceive Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater as being "very good in a lot of areas, but not special," according to NFL.com's Albert Breer.
"And they worry about his frame," Breer added. What makes Bridgewater special is the sweet coalescence of all his "very good" traits on the field, not his individual measurements, which are fairly mediocre (6-foot-2 and 1/8 and 214 pounds, good but not great athleticism and arm strength). For that reason, Rotoworld continues to stand behind him as the draft's No. 1 QB while some other evaluators defect to Blakes Bortles or Johnny Manziel.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter
6-2, 214, 4.67

6-4, 211, 5.28

Users who are viewing this thread