Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Goldfinger007

Vance McDonald

3 minutes ago, az_prof said:

This guy is talented but he just can't stay healthy. The acquisition of Vannett suggests he will be out for a while.

Or maybe Vannett being brought in to shore up what has been below avg OL play. Not sure if JC got worse at RB or if the holes are just not there but Steelers fans can clear that up. 

Maybe McDonald will be asked to simply run routes going forward but that isn't the Steelers style from my observations. I don't think the TE acquisition was to help with the vertical passing game, just my opinion. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain

24 minutes ago, az_prof said:

This guy is talented but he just can't stay healthy. The acquisition of Vannett suggests he will be out for a while.

I think it suggests the Steelers are thin at TE.. They like to do 2 TE Sets and Grimble blows. They lt James walk and did nothing to fill his role.

• Like 1

Shoulder injuries can be debilitating for a receiver.  The player might return to action quickly but they are often playing through pain and not nearly as effective as pre-injury.

Coach Mike Tomlin is "optimistic" Vance McDonald (shoulder) will play Week 4 against the Bengals Monday night.

McDonald is dealing with what sounds like an AC sprain. Shoulder sprains aren't typically long-term injuries. The Nick Vannett trade with Seattle sounds like it has more to do with block-first TE Xavier Grimble's Week 3 injury. The Steelers will release their first practice report of the week Thursday.

SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter

Sep 25, 2019, 12:34 PM ET

Not only did they trade for a TE, they just signed  TEAlizè Mack to their practice squad and released a LB 

Vance McDonald (shoulder) didn't practice Thursday.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin remains "optimistic" McDonald will suit up against the Bengals Monday night, though obviously fantasy owners need to have a backup plan in place. With Xavier Grimble (calf) on injured reserve, the Steelers could be down to just Nick Vannett (acquired in a trade from Seattle earlier this week) and rookie Zach Gentry at tight end.

SOURCE: Jay Morrison on Twitter

Sep 26, 2019, 3:05 PM ET

Vance McDonald (shoulder) is officially doubtful for Week 4's game against the Bengals.

There's a "chance" he plays but it's highly unlikely since McDonald hasn't practiced this week and since Pittsburgh just traded for TE Nick Vannett. The Steelers passing game looked terrible on the road last week, too, so it's safe to wonder how productive McDonald would be even when healthy with Mason Rudolph at quarterback.

SOURCE: Steelers.com

Sep 28, 2019, 3:22 PM ET

• Thanks 1

This guy remains a Top 10 ranking on many sites that I don't care to link to but WTH?!

It feels like this place knew last Sunday that McD was WW material at this point since so many owners are suffering thru injuries like Njoku, Henry, McD, the list keeps going and so it shows a lack of awareness by a lot of these sites spread about the internet. 

Doubtful, got it...feel even better grabbing another TE in lieu of McDonald. 

I had Vance and unloaded him at the start of the season. He is a good receiver but the guy is always hurt.

9 hours ago, az_prof said:

I had Vance and unloaded him at the start of the season. He is a good receiver but the guy is always hurt.

I drafted him and Hunter Henry. After week 1, couldn't hold two TEs so dropped Vance when waivers went through on Tuesday. On Wednesday Henry's injury was announced. Due to league settings, I couldn't pick up Vance back up until after his week 2 game. Of course he scored like 15 points on the waiver wire. Got him back for week 3 and he goose-egged. Now with the injury I dropped him for Herndon. If anyone wants him now they can have him.

Vance McDonald (shoulder) is inactive for Monday night's Week 4 game against the Bengals.

McDonald was listed doubtful, so this isn't a shock. Newcomer Nick Vannett should handle tight end duties in this one and be backed up by Zach Gentry, though neither is particularly interesting from a fantasy perspective. Also inactive for the Steelers are FB Rosevelt Nix, OLB Anthony Chickillo, OG Fred Johnson, OT Chuks Okorafor, DE Isaiah Buggs, and ILB Vince Williams.

Sep 30, 2019, 6:56 PM ET

Vance McDonald caught 3-of-6 targets for 33 yards in the Steelers' Week 11 loss to the Browns.

Even with both JuJu Smith-Schuster and Diontae Johnson departing with concussions, McDonald could not reach 40 yards for the first time since Week 1. Mason Rudolph is simply too inept for Rudolph to offer anything other than last-gasp TE2 appeal. That being said, the Bengals are the softest of Week 12 matchups.

Edited by The Frankman

Who has the cojones  to start this bum against the cards this week? 

Tight End vs. Cards are the best play in town.  Very tempting...

Vance McDonald (concussion) did not participate in practice Wednesday.

McDonald left in the second half of Week 14 and is best viewed as week to week. Even when healthy, McDonald is completely off the fantasy radar with Devlin Hodges at quarterback, especially if James Conner and JuJu Smith-Schuster return.

SOURCE: Steelers.com

Dec 11, 2019, 6:09 PM ET