What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is James Laurinaitis no longer a stud? (1 Viewer)

giveup

Footballguy
I haven't seen any games so its tough to tell from the box scores but he is killing me atm with a 7/5/4 score. It seems like he has true competition in Ogletree. Heck ogletree has outright out scored him 10/10/7

Hold tight and stay the course or bail on this name brand stud? Houston still sitting there and I'm buying KC DST so I'm thinking of making the switch....

I'm ready to dump him too. I held onto him and passed on ogletree (which someone picked up), and now I'm facing Houston on the WW, and either dropping Sean Lee or Laurinitis

Lucky for me I'm in a shallow IDP league (3 players). So there are guys like Briggs, Houston, and Greenway sitting on the wire along with Ogletree.

I just need to know if this is the new normal or the "new reality" with James. Same thing happened to Willis, was a major stud and then Bowmen arrived and ever since Bowmen has had as good or better stats. :( Sucks

I just wished I had a better early read on Ogletree coming out of the gate. Did any IDP forecaster see this coming?

Week 1: vs ARI - a predominantly passing team (40 passes - 26 runs)

Week 2: @ ATL - a predominantly passing team (43 passes - 16 runs)

Week 3: @ DAL - a predominantly passing team that ran quite a bit ? (24 passes - 34 runs)

A lack of opportunities might explain the 1st 2 weeks. Not sure what happened last week, other than nobody seemed to be able to tackle DeMarco Murray.

Ogletree stats thru 3 weeks: 21-1-0 (solos-assists-sacks)

Laurinaitis stats thru 3 weeks: 15-1-0

Ogletree's done better, sure, but he's not exactly running away with things here. I think this will correct itself when the Rams face more run-based teams. The big plays are decidedly absent too, but that should correct itself, too.

In 2012:

MLB Laurinaitis: 118-24-1

SLB Jo-Lonn Dunbar: 90-24-3.5

So it's not like there hasn't been competition for tackles here before.

Next week: vs SF - who knows what they are anymore, it's apparent they should be a rushing team, but they haven't been thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dumped him today. Can only start 3 and we have short bench so I cant hold him and he is questionable for THRs night game. So get him in your line up for 10 solos and a INT!! :porked:

I havent seen any games but I noticed Ogletree outproducing Laurinaitis and picked him up last week. I saw Jene adressed the concern over Laurinaitis is his Reading the D article this week, but didnt say if it was related to Ogletree taking away tackle opps, which is something Im wondering.

I think Im going to drop Ogletree for Burfict though as I see less competition for tackles in Cincy.

You all must play in super shallow leagues. Never found that too interesting.
Hard enough to keep track of players on offense and spend the time to give me an edge these days there with all the info casual FF have at their fingertips. And my leagues are very deep on starting lineup offense (2 RB, 2 WR, TE, WR/TE flex, 2 RB/WR flex, 8 bench).

If I played in a league that started 5 LBs, 4 DBs, and 3 DL I dont think Id have time leftover to master bait or go to the beach.

You all must play in super shallow leagues. Never found that too interesting.
Hard enough to keep track of players on offense and spend the time to give me an edge these days there with all the info casual FF have at their fingertips. And my leagues are very deep on starting lineup offense (2 RB, 2 WR, TE, WR/TE flex, 2 RB/WR flex, 8 bench).

If I played in a league that started 5 LBs, 4 DBs, and 3 DL I dont think Id have time leftover to master bait or go to the beach.
werd!

From this week's RTD:

Geno Atkins has generated the most mail in my inbox, but James Laurinaitis is a very close second. I think there are a handful of things happening here. First, Laurinaitis is a very good linebacker, but he's not as strikingly instinctive or as effective in coverage as Patrick Willis or Sean Lee. He'll throw a stinker in now and then, as all inside linebackers will. And I don't think his first two weeks, though they resulted in only 11 total solos and a pass defensed, were poor efforts. Laurinaitis played downhill in those games and shed blocks well. Last week was a different story. Laurinaitis was tentative between the tackles and didn't disengage from a fairly average interior Dallas line. After the game, it was reported that he had a foot injury. If that's the case, and the injury is minor, we could see him return to form quickly. If not, he may not be back to LB1 form until after Week 5's matchup against the Jaguars.

I just dropped Sean Lee instead of Laurinaitis to pick up Henderson.

Jene, is Sean Lee a better IDP LB than Laurinaitis? (I thought Lee was losing tackles to Carter, who has outperformed him so far by a lot)

I dropped Laurinaitis for Houston... shallow league (1 DB, 1DL, 1LB). He's going to destroy the giants this week. I'm a giants fan :(

Lee will be fine. Cowboys have injuries at DT. Lee isn't able to move freely so his numbers suffer. Giving up in dynasty is stupid given his talent. Laurinaitis had a great game against a running type offense. These teams are the ones he will put up great numbers. Against throwing teams he won't do as well. Both are still keepers in dynasty leagues. Too many owners jumped ship and will regret it later.

Just wanted to pass a thank you back to Diamond and Jene for the analysis. Not that anyone cares but I held tight and started him last night. :)

I didn't expect much from game 1 or 2, but when DAL ran wild and he stunk I was very concerned. I had no idea about the foot issue (Yahoo sticks for IDP info).

I am glad that I stuck with him as well, I played him in 2 leagues, and because of him I already have a small edge in both of them :)

Upcoming schedule:

at HOU, at CAR, vs SEA, vs TEN, at IND

All of these are balanced or run heavy teams. Best schedule for any MLB ever?

What's up tonight? Just now checking how he is doing and see a doughnut in the 4th quarter. Is he hurt?

Weird game. Seattle: 15 rushes, 10-18 passing, 7 sacks. 32 tackle opportunities. Haven't been tracking it, but that seems like it could be a new low on the year in the NFL.

Laurinaitis is fine, AFAIK. None of the LBs did much: Laurinaitis 2-1, Dunbar 1-0, Ogletree 2-0.

Top tackler: Robert Quinn: 5-0-3

I had no idea about the scorekeeper deal...seeing he is at home again this week I dropped him. Is St. Louis the only place to watch out for or are there others?

Well frankly, with the limited opportunity, nobody was going to get many tackles in that game no matter the scorekeeper.

STL isn't a bad place for an MLB if your scoring is solo dependent. Fewer assists can mean more solos given equal opportunity.

KC is also good for solos, terrible for assists. Derrick Johnson has 3 assists in 5 home games this year. Eric Berry has 2. Better than last year's pace, but it still sucks.

May be worse in ARI (Dansby 1 assist in 4 home games, Bell 2, Mathieu 1).

Best places for assists: IND (J.Freeman 17 assists in 4 home games), BUF (K.Alonso 21 in 4)

Very good for assists: WAS (Fletcher 12 in 3), BAL (D.Smith 20 in 3, moving up to best?), NE (D.Hightower 11 in 3), CLE (D.Jackson 19 in 4), SEA (Wagner 11 in 2, missed 1 home game, but SEA terrible for solos as they split every tackle)

CIN and PIT don't seem as generous with assists as in previous years (Burfict 10 in 4 games, Timmons 8 in 3 games).

Are there any I missed?

Users who are viewing this thread