What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dogs are freaking AWESOME. (1 Viewer)

pollardsvision said:
Bringing a new dog in the home is certainly not without plenty of stress. Omar has generally gotten along with other dogs, and lived with another dog for the first 5 years of his life. That was my mother in law's dog, so it was a different dynamic.

Omar and Wheezy generally like each other, and manage through most sensitive situations pretty well. They clearly still feeling each other out. She's super sweet, though a precocious booger, and I can tell she's feeling him out, pushing his buttons a little.

It all came to a head last Saturday afternoon. At the end of a 70 hour work week, I get a text from the ol' lady. She says one of them is bleeding, doesn't say why or who, then goes off line and doesn't answer my frantic texts. I race home to find a 4 inch gash on the top of sweet Wheezy's head, then to the emergency clinic for a few hours and 4 staples.

6 days in, that royally sucked. We're figuring out how to manage the situation, and will do everything we can to manage the situation. If it becomes unsafe for them, we'd look at other options (my good friend had fostered her would've always been fine keeping her), but we're nowhere near looking at that. Just would if it ever became necessary. These are two awesome dogs that generally get along.

Since the big fight, a couple of minor instances have popped up, but they seem to be getting along a little better. Calmer, less jockeying for position when you pet them both. They give each other a little more space. No doubt there will be more dog fights in the future. They're dogs and it happens. I just hope the severity of that one was an alpha dog thing they just needed to get worked out like kids on the playground.

An issue is my wife. She's brain injured and needs help recognizing how to avoid situations that can lead to a dog fight. We're working on that. For now, Wheezy stays in the crate until I get home (which is what she was used to before we adopted her and was one of the many factors in choosing her). We've worked on my wife letting her out about an hour before I get home (last Saturday, that didn't go well). We're slowing that experiment down for now, but would like to get to the point where that can be done safely. If I end up having to pay somebody to come over and let her out for a bit during the day, I'll look into that too.

It's stressful, but I know that darling girl is worth it and belongs here.
in the honour of being excellent, before i make a wildly insensitive joke, when you say your wife is brain injured, are you saying she is disabled?

Update on my dog search (cold weather and coyote concerns):

We ended up finding one dog (now named Champ Bailey) who is a English Mastiff and Saint Bernard cross. We were unable to find another another dog but Champ’s brother was still available so we got Brian Dawkins as well. 

Got the keys to new place on Thursday and the dogs Friday. They're terrible with puppy pads but really good with going to the bathroom outside. They look like they are full mastiff based off the marking and then their coat length when comparing them to their sisters coats. I was worried about this because of the cold but I was worried for the wrong reason, they LOVE the snow and don’t want to come inside. Their favourite game is walk on the top layer of hard snow a few feet then try to jump and pounce to break through in soft snow underneath. They jump and bulldoze their way back to the little clearing we are in then do it again.

I haven’t seen the coyotes yet but they definitely cross through the back of the property. Just by listening to the sound of the “neighbor” dogs barking you can figure out their path. The puppies are pretty good with not venturing off on their own it right now so I think just walking around the tree line they learn to just stay in the grass area once we give them the door and the “snow pen” melts. Once that melts we have a pair of shock collars for them. The lady we got them from laughed way I asked about them chasing coyotes around her farm. The dogs will pee around the property so the coyotes won’t venture on the property but she laughed because her dogs “wouldn’t ruin a perfectly good lounging session to chase something in the trees”. 

All is good through the first couple days. 

Heard a story conveyed on the local radio station this morning.  Turned it on in the middle so I didn't get the whole backstory, but basically, this guy was out in the water (lake) struggling.  Neighbors dog sees him, swims out to him and barks at him.  Guy grabs dogs tail and the dog starts swimming back to shore.  Guy looses grip and dogs swims back to him.  Guy grabs dogs collar and dog swims to shore.  Saves guys life.  Dogs are amazing.

Heard a story conveyed on the local radio station this morning.  Turned it on in the middle so I didn't get the whole backstory, but basically, this guy was out in the water (lake) struggling.  Neighbors dog sees him, swims out to him and barks at him.  Guy grabs dogs tail and the dog starts swimming back to shore.  Guy looses grip and dogs swims back to him.  Guy grabs dogs collar and dog swims to shore.  Saves guys life.  Dogs are amazing.

I will keep saying this....dogs are way, way better than people.  

Bull Dozier said:

Heard a story conveyed on the local radio station this morning. Turned it on in the middle so I didn't get the whole backstory, but basically, this guy was out in the water (lake) struggling. Neighbors dog sees him, swims out to him and barks at him. Guy grabs dogs tail and the dog starts swimming back to shore. Guy looses grip and dogs swims back to him. Guy grabs dogs collar and dog swims to shore. Saves guys life. Dogs are amazing.
link

Bull Dozier said:
This begs the question:

You're drowning and both a dog and a stranger come out to rescue you.  Who you do let rescue you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for some advice from you guys. 

We have a 12 year old fox terrier and decided to help a friend and take in her 5 year old cockapoo. She arrived Friday night and other than a few treats here and there she hasn’t eaten any of her regular food. It’s the same food that she’s always eaten. She’s obviously stressed with the move and new surroundings, any advice/tips on how to get her to start eating? TIA. 

We have a 12 year old fox terrier and decided to help a friend and take in her 5 year old cockapoo. She arrived Friday night and other than a few treats here and there she hasn’t eaten any of her regular food. It’s the same food that she’s always eaten. She’s obviously stressed with the move and new surroundings, any advice/tips on how to get her to start eating? TIA. 
I had a similar experience when dog sitting.  He wouldn't' eat the day he got here, but I played with him and gave him attention.  The next day I did the same thing and he was noticeably more relaxed, so I showed him where the food and water was again just to remind him to eat, and he scarfed it down.  He was relaxed and fun from that point on.

probably will just take a few days. My GF manages a kennel and I know a lot of dogs won't eat the first few days.

Maybe try hand feeding her or mixing some treats in with her food? Also maybe mix in some type of human food you know she is allowed to eat and that most dogs love (plain boiled boneless breast or thigh, cooked ground beef or maybe no salt added canned green beans) I would check with the owner first if possible to see what the dog is allowed/likes.

probably will just take a few days. My GF manages a kennel and I know a lot of dogs won't eat the first few days.

Maybe try hand feeding her or mixing some treats in with her food?
Thanks guys. I’m assuming eventually she’ll be starving and will eat. We’ve tried most of your suggestions already. She’s very friendly and hanging out with us, she’s not afraid of us at all just not eating yet. Mrs just took her to the field to run her a little bit, maybe that will get her going. :thumbup:   thanks @JoeSteeler @RC94

Put the food bowl in the same location that your friend uses?

Also, make sure your own dog isn't around when you put the food down?

Thanks guys. I’m assuming eventually she’ll be starving and will eat. We’ve tried most of your suggestions already. She’s very friendly and hanging out with us, she’s not afraid of us at all just not eating yet. Mrs just took her to the field to run her a little bit, maybe that will get her going. :thumbup:   thanks @JoeSteeler @RC94
How's she doing?

How's she doing?
Eating but not consistant. She ate hard Sunday night and she wanted more (after 2 helpings), but didn’t want to get her sick. Got her to eat once again yesterday but in the middle of the day. So it hit me last night we might not be helping with a schedule. Is it a bad idea to keep her dry kibble out for her all day or should we stick to a morning and evening schedule? 

But I noted when she got to our house she seemed a little on the skinny side. In talking to the previous owner she told the Mrs that this eating episode isn’t unusual, and that she’s “skittish” and doesn’t eat everyday. Well that doesn’t sound normal to me, seems like we have some work to do with her. She’s very friendly and a little timid, but I haven’t seen skittish. We’ll keep working with her. 

Eating but not consistant. She ate hard Sunday night and she wanted more (after 2 helpings), but didn’t want to get her sick. Got her to eat once again yesterday but in the middle of the day. So it hit me last night we might not be helping with a schedule. Is it a bad idea to keep her dry kibble out for her all day or should we stick to a morning and evening schedule? 

But I noted when she got to our house she seemed a little on the skinny side. In talking to the previous owner she told the Mrs that this eating episode isn’t unusual, and that she’s “skittish” and doesn’t eat everyday. Well that doesn’t sound normal to me, seems like we have some work to do with her. She’s very friendly and a little timid, but I haven’t seen skittish. We’ll keep working with her. 
I would stay with the same schedule her owner had her on.  I had a dog where we would keep it out all day and she would eat when she wants, which was usually when the family sat down to eat (her bowls were right near the table we would eat at).  I had another who would scarf it down as soon as we put the bowl down, so we kept her on a schedule of 1 meal in the morning and 1 at night for dinner.  The key is that the dog is eating the right amount each day (and the right food of course), but it depends on the dog as far as when it wants to eat.

it's nice to serve kibble, but little dogs find the pieces too big sometimes and if they have teeth problems, they may not eat. check teeth and the vet and try a soft food.  betcha the soft flies out the bowl.

My brother lost two dogs over the years to pool drownings... good to see that one work out so well.

Putting my boy down today.  Bone cancer.  There's never a good time for it but this is especially bad as my grandmother passed away on Friday.  I'm a wreck right now.

Putting my boy down today.  Bone cancer.  There's never a good time for it but this is especially bad as my grandmother passed away on Friday.  I'm a wreck right now.
Sorry to hear that, and I agree - there is never a good time for it.  When we put our dog down when I was just out of college, that's still the worst day of my life.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's tough. It gets better in time, but your dog will always be in your heart and thoughts.

I just lost my second of three dogs on Friday. That's now 2 in 7 months. Ming was 16. Such a sweet and lovable Shih Tzu. Aside from a heart murmur, he was in great shape for 16. He would wake up and rub his head against me in the morning. He always loved to be held. About a week and a half ago he started coughing. He had fluid in his longs. We put him on several meds and his lungs looked a lot better, but he stopped eating and drinking. I did everything I could for him, but his body gave way on Friday. He died shorty after my gf got home from work. It's as if he waited for her. She had him since he was a puppy.

I still have an older Maltese. I dread the day. It's as if family keeps shrinking. I know that I will get more dogs. When they get sick at the end is rough and the oss at the end is tough, but it's outweighed by all the good over the years.

We had bad storms here last night. Around 2am, my boy started slapping the side of the bed, then ran to the door and started slapping it.  Then back to me, then back to the door.  I hop up and I hear the loud beeping of the surge protector upstairs. I have my work computer, modem, router, and a few other things plugged in and if it goes to battery power it starts beeping.  My boy thought it was a fire alarm as he’s been trained (sounds similar, just not nearly as loud), so he was trying to get me up.  Smart dude. 

Today is the day every dog owner dreads.  I'll be saying goodbye to my buddy Luke, the border collie.  He was a package deal with my wife when we started dating about 9 years ago, and now, at age 14.5, he's given us all he has and it's time to say goodbye.  He started having seizures or strokes or something similar last September/October.  To the point that all we wanted at the time was to keep him until Christmas, which we obviously did.  It was a happy day for all.  On Friday, he had another episode, and we told ourselves we'd give him to Monday to see how he's doing.  He wasn't able to stand up on his own, and when lifted up would just "stiff leg it", so he could stand up, but wouldn't/couldn't walk.  It was heartbreaking to see, and more heartbreaking knowing what's coming in a little less than 3 hours.  He had as good of a weekend as could be expected - hot dogs and cheese and peanut butter, and laying out under the ceiling fan on the back deck with a nice breeze and not too hot (just the weather he loves).  Easily the smartest dog I've ever owned, and he will be sorely missed by all who knew him. 

matttyl said:
Today is the day every dog owner dreads.  I'll be saying goodbye to my buddy Luke, the border collie.  He was a package deal with my wife when we started dating about 9 years ago, and now, at age 14.5, he's given us all he has and it's time to say goodbye.  He started having seizures or strokes or something similar last September/October.  To the point that all we wanted at the time was to keep him until Christmas, which we obviously did.  It was a happy day for all.  On Friday, he had another episode, and we told ourselves we'd give him to Monday to see how he's doing.  He wasn't able to stand up on his own, and when lifted up would just "stiff leg it", so he could stand up, but wouldn't/couldn't walk.  It was heartbreaking to see, and more heartbreaking knowing what's coming in a little less than 3 hours.  He had as good of a weekend as could be expected - hot dogs and cheese and peanut butter, and laying out under the ceiling fan on the back deck with a nice breeze and not too hot (just the weather he loves).  Easily the smartest dog I've ever owned, and he will be sorely missed by all who knew him. 
so very sorry, I was gonna say that if he's still eating, has the vet seen him?  my old dog had a shaker dog syndrome.  every so often he would get would seemed like a seizure, but it wasn't.  it was essentially a small case of nausea and vertigo.  he would kind of lay sprawled on the floor, unable/unwilling to stand and seemed shaky.  his eyes were darty and rolling.  no cure and very scary, but some steroids could manage this.  otherwise....t&p. 

i am not religious, but I heard a saying recently about dogs and it seems true.  god did such a great job making dogs, which is why he wants them all back so quickly.

so very sorry, I was gonna say that if he's still eating, has the vet seen him?  my old dog had a shaker dog syndrome.  every so often he would get would seemed like a seizure, but it wasn't.  it was essentially a small case of nausea and vertigo.  he would kind of lay sprawled on the floor, unable/unwilling to stand and seemed shaky.  his eyes were darty and rolling.  no cure and very scary, but some steroids could manage this.  otherwise....t&p. 

i am not religious, but I heard a saying recently about dogs and it seems true.  god did such a great job making dogs, which is why he wants them all back so quickly.
Yeah, he had been seen by a few, and was on a steroid for a while, but this last time when whatever it was came back, it was just too much for him to overcome.  He was 14.5, a pretty good age for a border collie.  The eye darting thing really scared me, and you could just tell - he'd given it all that he could. 

I was such a mess yesterday when they put him down.  Cried so hard that my face hurt for the rest of the day. 

Users who are viewing this thread