Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
matttyl

Dogs are freaking AWESOME.

Recommended Posts

so very, very sorry to hear this.  Truly man's best friend. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 9:54 PM, NutterButter said:

There's more to this, too! She apparently found out through the shelter that the shelter dog she had bonded with had been adopted, and when she'd talked to her parents about it, they had helped her come to the realization that the dog would have a good home for Christmas - but they never let on that they were the ones who had actually adopted the dog and that they were planning to surprise her later with him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, we got Abbey's ashes back yesterday. I don't think we're ever going to know what happened. They did a full post mortem at the vet office and then sent away samples for further examination. 

They basically told us her heart was healthy, her liver and kidney were healthy. Something attacked her lungs and caused some growths and some small holes but whatever it was didn't show up in the autopsy, probably because the antibiotics did their job taking it out but the damage was already done. In a week she went from perfect health to being gone. 

We can't stop thinking about the what ifs.. what if we took her back to the vet more/soonest, what if we got the x-ray results from the specialist sooner. It was probably never going to be the same quality of life for her but we could have extended it or at least said proper goodbyes. 

My wife and I don't have kids and she was such a huge part of our lives. I never thought even as we were taking her to the vet that last time that she was dying. Just feel like we let her down, and the vets let her and us down. 

Anyway, we're mostly doing fine/better but getting her ashes and paw print back yesterday made it all fresh again. Our other dog, Zeus has been getting a lot of love. The vet seemed pretty concerned for him too, thinking whatever it was was viral but he's had no signs of being ill.

So much of what we do is/was walking the dogs, taking them swimming or to parks/trails on the weekend. We'll probably keep an eye out for another rescue soon but we'll never have another like Abbey. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our house has been empty for the past 7 months after having to put down our second lab back in March.  Losing both of our dogs at 14.5 years old within the span of 8 months was a lot to process, but we've healed and felt ready to add a new dog to the family.  We started working with a lab rescue to find our next dog in August; after a long process, we finally found a pup for us.

We picked up Walter on Thursday afternoon.  He was a stray in Philly that someone happened to find being beaten by someone.  The Good Samaritan scooped him up and turned him into the local shelter last month.  The lab rescue pulled him from the shelter and gave him to a foster family to rehab a few weeks ago.  He had a gash on his head that required stitches, but no worse for wear.  With everything he's been through in the last month plus, he's an incredibly well behaved pup.  We're super lucky to have found him.

He's a lab-mix that is the sweetest dog I've ever met.  Short and stocky with huge feet - seems like he's part basset hound.  We're all head over heels in love with him after just a few days.  :wub: 

  • Like 6
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ned said:

Our house has been empty for the past 7 months after having to put down our second lab back in March.  Losing both of our dogs at 14.5 years old within the span of 8 months was a lot to process, but we've healed and felt ready to add a new dog to the family.  We started working with a lab rescue to find our next dog in August; after a long process, we finally found a pup for us.

We picked up Walter on Thursday afternoon.  He was a stray in Philly that someone happened to find being beaten by someone.  The Good Samaritan scooped him up and turned him into the local shelter last month.  The lab rescue pulled him from the shelter and gave him to a foster family to rehab a few weeks ago.  He had a gash on his head that required stitches, but no worse for wear.  With everything he's been through in the last month plus, he's an incredibly well behaved pup.  We're super lucky to have found him.

He's a lab-mix that is the sweetest dog I've ever met.  Short and stocky with huge feet - seems like he's part basset hound.  We're all head over heels in love with him after just a few days.  :wub: 

awesome rescue!  now, tell me where i can find the person that was beating this dog.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New pup Riley Rose

Daughter wanted a “bigger dog” she could call her own. We have a wonderful little puggle that’s old and slow now, according to my daughter.
 

Riley is a kind of a rare breed. She’s a Treeing Tennessee Brindle. We did get her from Tennessee. Exceptionally smart. She was pretty much potty trained at 4 months. She should get to around 50-60 pounds. She is such a sweet, smart fun dog.

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chemical X said:

awesome rescue!  now, tell me where i can find the person that was beating this dog.  

Ugh, I'm glad I have no idea.  :hot: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 11:23 AM, whoknew said:

My dog is home alone a fair amount during the day when I'm at work. So I decided to get him a kitten yesterday. 

He has always liked cats, so we will see how this goes. Very slowly introducing them.

 

I know this is a dog thread, but in the month and a half since I got the dog a kitten, I've grown quite fond of the cat also.

Sadly, found out today he has FIP - which is a fatal viral disease for cats. Will probably be putting him down tomorrow. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, whoknew said:

 

I know this is a dog thread, but in the month and a half since I got the dog a kitten, I've grown quite fond of the cat also.

Sadly, found out today he has FIP - which is a fatal viral disease for cats. Will probably be putting him down tomorrow. 

Sorry to hear that.

I had cats growing up, would have cats now but the only one in my house that likes them (middle child) is allergic.  A cat and dog together seems to have infinite entertainment possibilities.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 10:04 AM, Ned said:

Our house has been empty for the past 7 months after having to put down our second lab back in March.  Losing both of our dogs at 14.5 years old within the span of 8 months was a lot to process, but we've healed and felt ready to add a new dog to the family.  We started working with a lab rescue to find our next dog in August; after a long process, we finally found a pup for us.

We picked up Walter on Thursday afternoon.  He was a stray in Philly that someone happened to find being beaten by someone.  The Good Samaritan scooped him up and turned him into the local shelter last month.  The lab rescue pulled him from the shelter and gave him to a foster family to rehab a few weeks ago.  He had a gash on his head that required stitches, but no worse for wear.  With everything he's been through in the last month plus, he's an incredibly well behaved pup.  We're super lucky to have found him.

He's a lab-mix that is the sweetest dog I've ever met.  Short and stocky with huge feet - seems like he's part basset hound.  We're all head over heels in love with him after just a few days.  :wub: 

Walter looks like the short, stocky version of my older lab/catahoula mix.  Labs are, in my opinion, top-5 breeds for companionship.  The greatest disposition. Want nothing more than to make you happy.  
 

Be careful what you laugh at.  He’ll do it forever.  And suddenly you’ll have a dog farting into your air purifier next to your bed every day and looking up at you smiling waiting for you to be happy. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

New pup Riley Rose

Daughter wanted a “bigger dog” she could call her own. We have a wonderful little puggle that’s old and slow now, according to my daughter.
 

Riley is a kind of a rare breed. She’s a Treeing Tennessee Brindle. We did get her from Tennessee. Exceptionally smart. She was pretty much potty trained at 4 months. She should get to around 50-60 pounds. She is such a sweet, smart fun dog.

Hey! We couldn’t ever figure out the ears and snout combo on our older lab mix and know there must be a third breed involved. Wife thought Great Dane and I don’t buy it. And that looks exactly like my dog’s ear and snout shape. I wonder if that’s the third breed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love seeing these new additions, hate hearing about the loss.

And yeah, cats and dogs together can be all kinds of awesome hilarity.

Still really jonesing for a pup, but the reality of NYC living makes it too much work and too little space for how we'd want to live with one. Lots of dog owners here in the city, just not right for us in our current setup. Hard too because floppinho is a little fearful of dogs. But it's hard resisting when my favorite breed, Aussie shepherds, have made a comeback here and I'm seeing those puppies everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Hey! We couldn’t ever figure out the ears and snout combo on our older lab mix and know there must be a third breed involved. Wife thought Great Dane and I don’t buy it. And that looks exactly like my dog’s ear and snout shape. I wonder if that’s the third breed. 

:thumbup:

This one came directly from Tennessee where it is a relatively new breed and breed exclusively for coon hunting. Not sure if they typically breed them with other breeds. Interesting though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.