Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
matttyl

Dogs are freaking AWESOME.

This thread is awesome. I've had dogs my whole life, great stuff in here.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

has anyone here used this product? Reviews seem good, "A rating" on fakespot. Thinking of trying this for my 11 year old black lab mix.

VETiONX Arthro-Ionx - Safe, Natural Joint and Mobility Pain Medication

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SEL9SC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=33F2GQGEC6EYC&coliid=I1V6GBDUE9OI9Q

Did you already try glucosamine chondroitin?  That's the standard approach and worked on our lab.

59 minutes ago, Tick said:

Did you already try glucosamine chondroitin?  That's the standard approach and worked on our lab.

He is on 75mg rimadyl, 1800mg glocosimine and 700mg condroitin/ day. It has helped but his leg still bothers him a bit. Initially had him on 150mg rimadyl but he was like a zombie dog.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:03 AM, Fuller said:

Dogs are awesome. I think I convinced a few guys on here to get Boston Terriers. I had to put my girl down back in 2014, but got two more last year. My wife decided they needed their own instagram account. They have 5x more followers than I do :angry:

https://www.instagram.com/sippyandtenney/

There's this Boston Terrier named George that my Shiba loves to wrestle with at the Dog Park - scrappy little dogs. They've had some epic battles and both never want to stop.

Edited by Dr. Octopus

Just found out my dog has Valley Fever.  It's fungal.  My vet couldn't figure it out.  Months later a better vet got to the bottom of it.  She was to the point where it looked like she was going to die.  From limited reading it appears earlier detection would've made a difference.  This is going to take a long long time they say.  And it can always come back.

Anyone here deal with it?

44 minutes ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Just found out my dog has Valley Fever.  It's fungal.  My vet couldn't figure it out.  Months later a better vet got to the bottom of it.  She was to the point where it looked like she was going to die.  From limited reading it appears earlier detection would've made a difference.  This is going to take a long long time they say.  And it can always come back.

Anyone here deal with it?

We see this at our rescue (boxerluv.org) all the time.  If managed properly you have a very good chance of keeping your little guy around for a long time.  It is a bit expensive but definitely treatable.  

• Like 1

Here is one of a local hero preventing a robbery.  Thus little guy comes over to a bar I frequent to hang out with the owners pitbull.  You can here him scratchimg in the door when he wants to come in..https://youtu.be/cyHeM4KGXxA

Nice - weird URL name.  I like that the dog has a wet chest, too - that's a loved dog.

35 minutes ago, Tick said:

Nice - weird URL name.  I like that the dog has a wet chest, too - that's a loved dog.

Agree.  It's interesting how careful the dog was being, probably trying not to bite her, since he bit on the ice cream 6 times and it was still on the cone.  After the first bite I thought he would have run away with it.

Here`s some back story....i had a Pug named Tiki who was 15 !/2 years old ...she had one eye (run over by a car years ago) and became deaf the last few years of her life.

She suffered from chronic bronchitis from the age of 12 on....she was the best friend i ever had...she finally had congestive heart failure  and was drowning in the fluid that filled her lungs....i had to stop her suffering and put her to rest ...a few days later my tattoo guy painted a famous land mark rock in my town...this rock has been getting painted for decades ...from RIP tributes to marriage proposals   ....Tiki was the first pet ever painted on this rock...this painting lasted a month ...the longest a painting ever lasted before being painted over ...i had around 40 people at different times stop and take selfies  like this one....then a reporter called me and we did a story about Tiki and the rock

I figured id share this with fellow dog lovers as you would appreciate this 

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, BustedKnuckles said:

Here`s some back story....i had a Pug named Tiki who was 15 !/2 years old ...she had one eye (run over by a car years ago) and became deaf the last few years of her life.

She suffered from chronic bronchitis from the age of 12 on....she was the best friend i ever had...she finally had congestive heart failure  and was drowning in the fluid that filled her lungs....i had to stop her suffering and put her to rest ...a few days later my tattoo guy painted a famous land mark rock in my town...this rock has been getting painted for decades ...from RIP tributes to marriage proposals   ....Tiki was the first pet ever painted on this rock...this painting lasted a month ...the longest a painting ever lasted before being painted over ...i had around 40 people at different times stop and take selfies  like this one....then a reporter called me and we did a story about Tiki and the rock

I figured id share this with fellow dog lovers as you would appreciate this 

Sorry for your loss.

:puglife:

• Like 1

Sorry about Tiki Bknuckles.    Really cool story and pics though.    The rock painting is AWESOME and huge.  Thanks for sharing.   It gets better with time

RIP Chief - Nov 2015

Edited by JNox3
  • Like 1

RIP Tiki... thanks a ton for sharing that, BN. 

• Like 1

Our rescued dog from Turkey has a hot spot, so we've gotten out the protective collar (makes him look like a giant flower) that we have from the times our other has gotten hot spots. He really hates his life right now, I'm sure if he could ask, he would choose to return to Istanbul at this point.

Edited by Northern Voice

Just put an application in at a dog rescue in the area.  Looking forward to rejoining the world of dog ownership in the near future!

• Like 3

Despite constant nagging over the years from my three kids we've never owned a dog. I could go either way but my wife is dead against it. We're just too busy between us both working, traveling, kids all in sports year round, etc. for it to work. However we're currently in the final week of a three week stint of having my SIL's 4 month old vizsla staying with us while they're in Europe. It's been fun, the dog is freaking awesome, but what a handful. The ####er pretty much rules the household and it's been total amateur hour taking care of him. we've done our best but they'll be back to square one with getting him trained. And while the kids were hoping this experience would open my wife's mind to getting our own but it's gone the other way. I'll kind of miss the nonstop action though. 

after losing my pal of 15 years in November, we took the plunge and got another beagle rescue in January.  he is an older guy, around 7, they found him on the side of the road.  somehow, he is the happiest dog.  homeless in 2015, found, treated for heartworm, sent to foster, sent to foster, came to us....all in 6 months.  he doesn't like thunder storms and is getting better with separation anxiety, since he realizes we are returning.  so, it's been 6 months and here is what we have learned; buries everything, is bright (has learned to use built in doggy doors) but doesn't know how to eat treats (can't figure out how to hold them without thumbs), eats everything else, including all fruits and veggies.  he loves to play and we noticed something pretty funny......he was playing with a squeaker that rolled under the couch and he was trying to desperately retrieve it.  he is a quiet dog, probably still getting used to his spot.  so, he kind of backs up and lets out a frustrated grunt, then from the bottom of his gullet lets out the longest, deepest bay.  WooooOOOOOOOooooooo.  then again, WooooooooOOOOOOOoooooo.  then he looks at me.  I walk over, figure it out, grab the toy and off he goes.  made me think that there are so many happy dogs in foster homes and shelters.  without the fosters, these guys don't even get adopted.  if you love dogs and love adopting, donate and help out the rescues and foster families.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Despite constant nagging over the years from my three kids we've never owned a dog. I could go either way but my wife is dead against it. We're just too busy between us both working, traveling, kids all in sports year round, etc. for it to work. However we're currently in the final week of a three week stint of having my SIL's 4 month old vizsla staying with us while they're in Europe. It's been fun, the dog is freaking awesome, but what a handful. The ####er pretty much rules the household and it's been total amateur hour taking care of him. we've done our best but they'll be back to square one with getting him trained. And while the kids were hoping this experience would open my wife's mind to getting our own but it's gone the other way. I'll kind of miss the nonstop action though. 

Aren't Vislas SUPER active dogs? I thought about those because they are great looking dogs, but seem to require way too much activity. 

Instead, I got a super lazy mutt. Fits my lifestyle much better.

So there are other choices for dogs that aren't as active.

Edited by whoknew

13 minutes ago, whoknew said:

35 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Aren't Vislas SUPER active dogs? I thought about those because they are great looking dogs, but seem to require way too much activity. 

yeah. I've had two different friends own vizslas over the years. great dogs, but like jack russells on steroids in terms of their need to be active. the absolute wrong dog to try to win over the wife in whoknew's situation, it sounds like.

I've been jonesing to get a dog.

I grew up with them (collies) and have always loved them (cats too), but have lived in NYC my entire adult life. living in a small apartment (by fbg standards) and working long hours, while also liking to travel has pretty much destroyed the reality to own one. so we've made do with cats only (again- I love both) who are far less work. now, on top of everything, I've noticed my son (9) appears to be scared of dogs. for that matter, he's kinda scared of the cats too. on top of my just enjoying having a dog around, it would be good for him to "get over" that fear. 5yo daughter is nutty for all animals (as are her mom and dad), so no concerns there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whoknew said:

Yup, they're nuts. ####er ran right through my screen door last night. Hard to stay mad at him though, cute as heck. 

3 hours ago, whoknew said:

But are there puppies that aren't very active? Vislas may be active (I have no clue), but Nigel is probably mostly experiencing the fun hell of having a 4 month old puppy.

On 8/9/2016 at 9:35 AM, Bull Dozier said:

Just put an application in at a dog rescue in the area.  Looking forward to rejoining the world of dog ownership in the near future!

Picked out a dog from a rescue, and had a home visit from the shelter (I assume to make sure we didn't have a meth lab going, or something to that effect) and met the puppy.  Great little dog so we are doing to paperwork tomorrow night and bringing her home.

She's a little 30 lb mutt.  Has some lab, some kind of terrier (rescue thinks Jack Russel), and some kind of dog with a snub tail.  Litter had 5 dogs, one with a full tail, two with snub tails, and two with half tails (one if which is ours).  She's very friendly, but submissive.  Six months old, so looking forward to getting back into the world of dogs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bull Dozier said:

Picked out a dog from a rescue, and had a home visit from the shelter (I assume to make sure we didn't have a meth lab going, or something to that effect) and met the puppy.  Great little dog so we are doing to paperwork tomorrow night and bringing her home.

She's a little 30 lb mutt.  Has some lab, some kind of terrier (rescue thinks Jack Russel), and some kind of dog with a snub tail.  Litter had 5 dogs, one with a full tail, two with snub tails, and two with half tails (one if which is ours).  She's very friendly, but submissive.  Six months old, so looking forward to getting back into the world of dogs.

Congratulations. Post a pic when you get her home.

Holy cow, is a puppy a lifestyle change.  Our last dog was put down about five years ago.  We got him when he was about seven, and soon after got hit with hip dysplasia.  He wasn't very active and was content to just lay down in the same room as us.  A six month old puppy is another story.  We got her home about 7:30 last night, and she was a non stop ball of energy until 11 when we went to bed.  She wined in her crate for about ten minutes, but finally went to sleep.  We got up around 5 this morning, and she woke up with us, and was running around like crazy until we had to re-crate her and go to work.

She's a pretty good pup, didn't get into anything she wasn't supposed to yet, but will run around playing with or chasing toys as long as you will play with her.  The foster said they didn't walk her, but I'm thinking she's going to need that to wear out a little bit.  Good times so far!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bull Dozier said:

Holy cow, is a puppy a lifestyle change.  Our last dog was put down about five years ago.  We got him when he was about seven, and soon after got hit with hip dysplasia.  He wasn't very active and was content to just lay down in the same room as us.  A six month old puppy is another story.  We got her home about 7:30 last night, and she was a non stop ball of energy until 11 when we went to bed.  She wined in her crate for about ten minutes, but finally went to sleep.  We got up around 5 this morning, and she woke up with us, and was running around like crazy until we had to re-crate her and go to work.

She's a pretty good pup, didn't get into anything she wasn't supposed to yet, but will run around playing with or chasing toys as long as you will play with her.  The foster said they didn't walk her, but I'm thinking she's going to need that to wear out a little bit.  Good times so far!

I suspect I know why she went to sleep. 

Not to sound preachy, but why not a day or 2 a week of doggy day care to run some puppy energy off?  not sure how long you guys will be out at work, but 6 hours could be a fun day for a pup.  Some places charge 20- a day and have packages.

43 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

Not to sound preachy, but why not a day or 2 a week of doggy day care to run some puppy energy off?  not sure how long you guys will be out at work, but 6 hours could be a fun day for a pup.  Some places charge 20- a day and have packages.

Puppy newb here, so feel free to elaborate.  I'm not taking offense.

Just for more background, the information from the foster was that she as crate trained, slept in her crate at night, and was crated during the day while they were at work.  The schedule yesterday wasn't any different than that (other than the over night crate time being shorter than what she was used to).

53 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

Depends on the puppies age? If it's 8-10 weeks then it won't be able to go to a daycare for a month or so?   just saw that it was 6months. I assumed its already fixed?

Edited by Bucky86

21 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Puppy newb here, so feel free to elaborate.  I'm not taking offense.

Just for more background, the information from the foster was that she as crate trained, slept in her crate at night, and was crated during the day while they were at work.  The schedule yesterday wasn't any different than that (other than the over night crate time being shorter than what she was used to).

She'll still take a little time to adjust to the setting even if she understands what a crate is. I presume the crate isn't the same crate she had with the foster parents, so imagine it's like you getting a new bedroom set and just takes a bit to adjust.

I'd also be sure to make sure she recognizes you treat the crate the same as I presume the fosters did which is that it is her place/home, not her punishment. I also have a 9 month old puppy and she's energetic as heck so I know when I get up that I need to play with her and then so does my wife before she goes to work after I leave and then she goes into the crate. If she's potty trained, you may want to start giving her some leeway at night as we found it helped both the energy and thought about her crate as well. Good luck!

20 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

Depends on the puppies age? If it's 8-10 weeks then it won't be able to go to a daycare for a month or so?   just saw that it was 6months. I assumed its already fixed?

Yes, already fixed.

3 minutes ago, Jayded said:

She'll still take a little time to adjust to the setting even if she understands what a crate is. I presume the crate isn't the same crate she had with the foster parents, so imagine it's like you getting a new bedroom set and just takes a bit to adjust.

I'd also be sure to make sure she recognizes you treat the crate the same as I presume the fosters did which is that it is her place/home, not her punishment. I also have a 9 month old puppy and she's energetic as heck so I know when I get up that I need to play with her and then so does my wife before she goes to work after I leave and then she goes into the crate. If she's potty trained, you may want to start giving her some leeway at night as we found it helped both the energy and thought about her crate as well. Good luck!

Yes, we're using the crate the same way.  It will be open to her during the day and will not be used as punishment.  She was leery of it both last night and this morning, as I'm sure it does smell different, and may be a different style (I should have asked, but forgot).  I was disappointed she didn't give me one of her favorite toys or something I could use to put in the crate, but they wouldn't even give me the collar she was wearing.  That I found a little weird.  She also said that it wasn't safe for her yet to even have a blanket or bed in the crate because she was still at the age wear she would chew and it eat.  I'm not sure if they gave her a blanket but told me that for liability reasons?  I'm not sure.

I will be walking her in the am before work, and will have the kids play with her before school so she gets some energy out.  The puppy day care is a good idea though, if it is that cheap.