Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
matttyl

Dogs are freaking AWESOME.

Recommended Posts

I am no crate fan, it just seems like a jail to me.  but my gb @tre suggested a crate for my new guy.  so, we got a large one, took off the door and packed it with a blanket and pillow of ours.  when he is pooped he'll head to the bat cave and sleep it off.  I just have a thing about having a large house and keeping the dog in jail.  get a good strong routine.  first thing after wakeup is potty.  then before work should be eat, walk, play.  come home and immediate walk.  dinner then walk.  pre bed time potty, either walk or yard. 

 

just my .02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

you idiots, it's Whined not Wined.

 

depends on the dog, no?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't crate my dog. I purchased a large pen which I set up that has a doggy bed water/food bowls, and when he was younger, pee pads.(he never even used them) That way he was safe and out of trouble, but didn't feel like he was in jail. He's now 2 1/2. We still lock him up when we leave for the day and will excitedly run into his pen expecting his treat before we leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

I am no crate fan, it just seems like a jail to me.  but my gb @tre suggested a crate for my new guy.  so, we got a large one, took off the door and packed it with a blanket and pillow of ours.  when he is pooped he'll head to the bat cave and sleep it off.  I just have a thing about having a large house and keeping the dog in jail.  get a good strong routine.  first thing after wakeup is potty.  then before work should be eat, walk, play.  come home and immediate walk.  dinner then walk.  pre bed time potty, either walk or yard. 

 

just my .02

I get it, and dont disagree.  I expect to be able to give her more free reign when she gets older.  We have an "exercise" room that goes unused (dusty treadmill and stationary bike), that I'd like to put her kennel in during the day.  When we're gone, just shut her in there with an open crate, and safe toys.  My conern doing that early is that I don't want to give her the option to potty inside with plenty of room to be away from it.  That's the argument for the crate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we got our Weim, we put him in his crate and he'd start convulsing and panting. It was awful. He was 4 when we got him, so there possibly was some trauma there.  After a few weeks of trying to get him comfortable, we just decided to try free roam even when we weren't home. Honestly, we got very lucky because he's been perfect. He's never destroyed anything and never had an accident in the house. We've had him over 5 years now. 

 

Actually here is him this morning watching me from "his" chair in my office while I work. 

https://s4.postimg.org/r9jgu1afx/image.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my dog ate a sheetpan of rice krispy treats yesterday....think two bags of marshmallows and 12 cups of rice krispies with a stick of butter.  glad the wife is home today because i'm not cleaning up rice krispy poop.

she also burped in my face this morning.   still love the bizatch.  she is truly my bestie.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

my dog ate a sheetpan of rice krispy treats yesterday....think two bags of marshmallows and 12 cups of rice krispies with a stick of butter.  glad the wife is home today because i'm not cleaning up rice krispy poop.

she also burped in my face this morning.   still love the bizatch.  she is truly my bestie.

The first time I traveled internationally for work, my wife went to work, leaving our yellow lab (Dozer) free in the house as always.  She got home to an ocean of vomit, piss, and ####, and an embarrassed and miserable Dozer.  Half-crying and half-laughing at how awful it was, she played detective and figured this out:

  • She threw away almost an entire ham in the kitchen garbage the previous night (can't remember why - 17 years ago)
  • Dozer got into the garbage and ate the entire ham
  • Dozer got so thirsty he drank all his water and everything in the toilets.
  • Dante's inferno ensued.

She called him Ham-For-Brains the rest of his life.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chemical X said:

I am no crate fan, it just seems like a jail to me.  but my gb @tre suggested a crate for my new guy.  so, we got a large one, took off the door and packed it with a blanket and pillow of ours.  when he is pooped he'll head to the bat cave and sleep it off.  I just have a thing about having a large house and keeping the dog in jail.  get a good strong routine.  first thing after wakeup is potty.  then before work should be eat, walk, play.  come home and immediate walk.  dinner then walk.  pre bed time potty, either walk or yard. 

 

just my .02

We no longer crate our 6 y.o Chocolate Lab (because my wife is home during the day, and I am home at night) ; but when we both worked during the day he was crated. We made his crate a place of relaxation for him. Big comfy cushion, a couple toys, etc. When we were home, we often gave him treats and fed him in his crate so it was a place he didnt associate with "being in trouble" or having any sort of anxiety towards that.

We got away from crating whenever we moved from PHX to PIT and were staying at my parent's house. There really wasnt a place to put his crate, and since he was good at letting us know when he needed to visit the facilities, we said screw it.

When we moved from PIT to PHI, we tried to reintroduce the crate, and it did not go over well. He completely ripped apart the crate trying to get free. I think the fact we were in a new house, coupled with the fact he was now conditioned to roam the house freely, we just dropped the crating for him.

He has not had any issues roaming freely and normally just sleeps on the couch, in his bed or in my bed while we are gone. We also have a routine like you mentioned above and it works great for him. He's the laziest dog in the whole world, but he is SOOOO good with our kids and strangers - we love him very much.

Edited by The Hank
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Hank said:

We no longer crate our 6 y.o Chocolate Lab (because my wife is home during the day, and I am home at night) ; but when we both worked during the day he was crated. We made his crate a place of relaxation for him. Big comfy cushion, a couple toys, etc. When we were home, we often gave him treats and fed him in his crate so it was a place he didnt associate with "being in trouble" or having any sort of anxiety towards that.

We got away from crating whenever we moved from PHX to PIT and were staying at my parent's house. There really wasnt a place to put his crate, and since he was good at letting us know when he needed to visit the facilities, we said screw it.

When we moved from PIT to PHI, we tried to reintroduce the crate, and it did not go over well. He completely ripped apart the crate trying to get free. I think the fact we were in a new house, coupled with the fact he was now conditioned to roam the house freely, we just dropped the crating for him.

He has not had any issues roaming freely and normally just sleeps on the couch, in his bed or in my bed while we are gone. We also have a routine like you mentioned above and it works great for him. He's the laziest dog in the whole world, but he is SOOOO good with our kids and strangers - we love him very much.

have you thought about the crate without the door? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going through a terrible bout of allergies with our 4 yr old chocolate lab Juno - constant itching, hot spots, and a hideously swollen face. She's never had allergies before, but we downsized from our house to a townhouse I was renting out previously, and we take daily walks around a pond that has a lot of grass/vegetation/etc. around it (and Juno loves to run around in the tall grass). The vet put her on steroids that have made an immediate difference, and said either Juno was just experiencing bad allergies during allergy season or she may have recently developed them. I'm trying to avoid having her on steroids the rest of her life, and have read up on the wonders of coconut oil and probiotics for dogs. Apparently part of their appeal is that they can help prevent/lessen allergies, itchy skin, hot spots, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with these and have a recommendation for certain probiotics if so? The vet did say dogs can become allergic to their food over time but that it wasn't the case here, as Juno didn't have any change in her stools. Juno (and her brother Tucker) already get grain-free dog food, so I'm not too worried about it being the food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joker said:

Going through a terrible bout of allergies with our 4 yr old chocolate lab Juno - constant itching, hot spots, and a hideously swollen face. She's never had allergies before, but we downsized from our house to a townhouse I was renting out previously, and we take daily walks around a pond that has a lot of grass/vegetation/etc. around it (and Juno loves to run around in the tall grass). The vet put her on steroids that have made an immediate difference, and said either Juno was just experiencing bad allergies during allergy season or she may have recently developed them. I'm trying to avoid having her on steroids the rest of her life, and have read up on the wonders of coconut oil and probiotics for dogs. Apparently part of their appeal is that they can help prevent/lessen allergies, itchy skin, hot spots, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with these and have a recommendation for certain probiotics if so? The vet did say dogs can become allergic to their food over time but that it wasn't the case here, as Juno didn't have any change in her stools. Juno (and her brother Tucker) already get grain-free dog food, so I'm not too worried about it being the food.

be very wary of the steroids, they eff with your dog big time.  why not just an antihistamine like Chlorpheniramine?  my dog is on this now and it helped seasonal allergy.

can I suggest fish oil/omega 3 capsules in his food?  slice the capsule and squeeze the oil into the food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The steroids were prescribed to take care of the immediate allergy issue, and so far they have in the less than 24 hours she's been on them (we've already seen a big difference). I'm with you - I want to avoid steroids. We tried an antihistamine for about a week before we went to the vet, and they didn't do anything unfortunately.

Thanks for the reminder on fish oil capsules, that was the other one that I forgot to mention above. Is slicing the capsule necessary or can you just feed them the capsule? Unless the capsule is too big? My dogs have no issues with pills or anything like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joker said:

The steroids were prescribed to take care of the immediate allergy issue, and so far they have in the less than 24 hours she's been on them (we've already seen a big difference). I'm with you - I want to avoid steroids. We tried an antihistamine for about a week before we went to the vet, and they didn't do anything unfortunately.

Thanks for the reminder on fish oil capsules, that was the other one that I forgot to mention above. Is slicing the capsule necessary or can you just feed them the capsule? Unless the capsule is too big? My dogs have no issues with pills or anything like that.

I don't think there is an issue with them eating the capsules, but they are big and my dog isn't.

with the roids, try to get him off asap.  obviously, long term kidney issues will likely arise.  some places sell non drug itch wipes, maybe for sore or itchy paws.

 

also, you can try a daily zyrtec I believe.

Edited by Chemical X
my cat's breath smells like cat food

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also give your dog Benadryl. 1mg/lb

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes - she's supposed to finish the entire bottle of steroids. Here's to hoping that the other approaches work for her :shock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joker said:

Yikes - she's supposed to finish the entire bottle of steroids. Here's to hoping that the other approaches work for her :shock:

no joke, make sure you get blood checked regularly with roid use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

You can also give your dog Benadryl. 1mg/lb

+1

used this (Costco brand diphenhydramine)  for my dog when he was having issues and it worked liked a charm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We tried the Benadryl for a week without success. I'm just hoping that this is a bad allergy deal and that she'll be good to go once allergy season is over, along with the other good stuff we'll start giving her (fish oil, etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that crate their pooch overnight, where is the crate?  Is it in a bedroom, or are they off by themselves?  My first dog (who was not crated as an adult) slept in our bedroom, so we put the crate for the new puppy in our room.  However, I'm wondering if this is encouraging him to whine, or teasing him that we are right there but ignoring him (since we're sleeping).  Is having her crate in a room by herself a better idea while she is still a puppy (6-7 months old currently)?

Edited by Bull Dozier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

For those that crate their pooch overnight, where is the crate?  Is it in a bedroom, or are they off by themselves?  My first dog (who was not crated as an adult) slept in our bedroom, so we put the crate for the new puppy in our room.  However, I'm wondering if this is encouraging him to whine, or teasing him that we are right there but ignoring him (since we're sleeping).  Is having her crate in a room by herself a better idea while she is still a puppy (6-7 months old currently)?

We crated our dogs in our bedroom when they were puppies.  We covered the top, sides, and rear of the crate with a blanket that made it sort of their own little den/cave.  Our yellow lab didn't care either way, but our chocolate loved his crate to the point we'd just leave the door open and he slept in there at night.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2016 at 11:36 AM, Chemical X said:

I am no crate fan, it just seems like a jail to me.  but my gb @tre suggested a crate for my new guy.  so, we got a large one, took off the door and packed it with a blanket and pillow of ours.  when he is pooped he'll head to the bat cave and sleep it off.  I just have a thing about having a large house and keeping the dog in jail.  get a good strong routine.  first thing after wakeup is potty.  then before work should be eat, walk, play.  come home and immediate walk.  dinner then walk.  pre bed time potty, either walk or yard. 

 

just my .02

Don't feel that way.  Crate training absolutely works.  Don't view it as jail, eventually, to the dog, it will become his personal/safe space.  It will be a comfort to him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a 9:30 final appt tomorrow at the vet for my boy. Malone's been with us since 8 weeks and turned 14 in the spring. He has a degenerative spinal condition and his ability to control his bowels and his hind legs is just too much. This will suck. 

Took this a few years ago, he's waiting for Mrs. TD to come home. 

http://ge.tt/4EtAgYd2

Edited by Tackling Dummies
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tackling Dummies said:

Have a 9:30 final appt tomorrow at the vet for my boy. Malone's been with since 8 weeks and turned 14 in the spring. He has a degenerative spinal condition and his ability to control his bowels and his hind legs is just too much. This will suck. 

Took this a few years ago, he's waiting for Mrs. TD to come home. 

http://ge.tt/4EtAgYd2

Sorry for your loss. Sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tackling Dummies said:

Have a 9:30 final appt tomorrow at the vet for my boy. Malone's been with since 8 weeks and turned 14 in the spring. He has a degenerative spinal condition and his ability to control his bowels and his hind legs is just too much. This will suck. 

Took this a few years ago, he's waiting for Mrs. TD to come home. 

http://ge.tt/4EtAgYd2

Sorry man, that's the worst. Just have to remember it's the best for them and they deserve to have peace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other bummer I'm currently experiencing with Farrah is that she apparently suffers from submissive peeing.  I walk in the door after a long day of work and she comes running to the door, sees me, cowers, and when I bend down to pet her, she pees a little.  Not the biggest deal in the world, but its a little bit of a bummer to either have to ignore my puppy when I get home, or I get to clean up a puddle every day.  

Best info I've seen is there's nothing I can do about it.  They can't control it and its not a house training issue.  Apparently I have to ignore her for the most part, or not move in a threatening manner (reaching down for her I guess fits that bill?).  I shouldn't correct her, like you would if you caught a puppy peeing in the house normally, and apparently I'm not even supposed to let her see me cleaning it up.  That's a weird one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

The other bummer I'm currently experiencing with Farrah is that she apparently suffers from submissive peeing.  I walk in the door after a long day of work and she comes running to the door, sees me, cowers, and when I bend down to pet her, she pees a little.  Not the biggest deal in the world, but its a little bit of a bummer to either have to ignore my puppy when I get home, or I get to clean up a puddle every day.  

Best info I've seen is there's nothing I can do about it.  They can't control it and its not a house training issue.  Apparently I have to ignore her for the most part, or not move in a threatening manner (reaching down for her I guess fits that bill?).  I shouldn't correct her, like you would if you caught a puppy peeing in the house normally, and apparently I'm not even supposed to let her see me cleaning it up.  That's a weird one.

when you come home, don't go for the dog first.  put your stuff down, say hi, go to the kitchen for drink.  then say hello to dog, maybe with a treat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

when you come home, don't go for the dog first.  put your stuff down, say hi, go to the kitchen for drink.  then say hello to dog, maybe with a treat.

This is what I do and works effectively. I also let him sniff my hand to before I pat his head, just so he knows that I am going to pet him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tackling Dummies said:

Have a 9:30 final appt tomorrow at the vet for my boy. Malone's been with us since 8 weeks and turned 14 in the spring. He has a degenerative spinal condition and his ability to control his bowels and his hind legs is just too much. This will suck. 

Took this a few years ago, he's waiting for Mrs. TD to come home. 

http://ge.tt/4EtAgYd2

oh man....just like my pug...im so sorry

 

this helped me 

 

You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
...a young dog once again.

Edited by BustedKnuckles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a rough time this past week. My three-legged Pitbull (missing back left) seems to be developing arthritis in her back right (or hip?). Meds seem to be helping, but she is struggling with ups and downs (mostly ups) to our third floor flat. She just turned 7, but she puts a lot of torque on her one good back leg. Nothing says love like carrying your fifty pound baby up forty steps. ... Actually, we are batting about .500 as to whether or not she is willing to make it up on her own. Hope things get better as we go along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For itching problems check out apoquel. Need a prescription. Also the fish oil or omega-3 capsules squeezed over food may help. Some vets are doing allergy testing/shots. Our 17 year old Bischon would get hot spots in the Spring which we would treat with Benadryl and the cone. About three years ago she went wild and chewed all her hair off her legs. We were trying Benadryl and she had the cone of shame for a year. Apoquel was just hitting the market. Within four days being on apoquel she stopped. Still takes a daily dose and no problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chaka said:

Don't feel that way.  Crate training absolutely works.  Don't view it as jail, eventually, to the dog, it will become his personal/safe space.  It will be a comfort to him.

As long as the crate is big enough, and they aren't in it too long.  I have one friend who's dog has a permanent limp from being crated.  We did crate our chocolate lab for a short while, and he was comforted in it at night.  But once he calmed down and wouldn't chew stuff we left him out.  Now he's like a freaking king with 3 huge Costco beds around the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure if I mentioned this one, but my dog gets a last long walk around 8p.  elderly couple, 90s, have a house in my neighborhood and tend to sit outside some evenings.  we walk buy one night and they ask if my dog would like a biscuit.  they keep one of those butter cookie tins on the porch filled with treats.  beagle+food=ingrained memory.

next night on our walk we get near their house, but I see they aren't outside, my dog starts wagging his tail and makes a beeline up the stairs to the porch, looking around.  this is his new routine and more often than not, he gets his treat.  

i think this is a true joy in life, but without kids, I don't know......

 

:hot:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

not sure if I mentioned this one, but my dog gets a last long walk around 8p.  elderly couple, 90s, have a house in my neighborhood and tend to sit outside some evenings.  we walk buy one night and they ask if my dog would like a biscuit.  they keep one of those butter cookie tins on the porch filled with treats.  beagle+food=ingrained memory.

next night on our walk we get near their house, but I see they aren't outside, my dog starts wagging his tail and makes a beeline up the stairs to the porch, looking around.  this is his new routine and more often than not, he gets his treat.  

i think this is a true joy in life, but without kids, I don't know......

 

:hot:

:lol: So funny. My dog is just as bad. He learned that in the mornings, if I'm running late for work, he can run and hide underneath the kitchen table before I can put on his harness so I'm forced to lure him out with a treat. It only took a few days of this and now the second he sees me reach for his harness, it's a race to grab him before he reaches the table. Dick! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chemical X said:

not sure if I mentioned this one, but my dog gets a last long walk around 8p.  elderly couple, 90s, have a house in my neighborhood and tend to sit outside some evenings.  we walk buy one night and they ask if my dog would like a biscuit.  they keep one of those butter cookie tins on the porch filled with treats.  beagle+food=ingrained memory.

next night on our walk we get near their house, but I see they aren't outside, my dog starts wagging his tail and makes a beeline up the stairs to the porch, looking around.  this is his new routine and more often than not, he gets his treat.  

i think this is a true joy in life, but without kids, I don't know......

 

:hot:

Similar story with mine.

We live in a pool and tennis community and our tennis courts have leagues almost every night. Our evening walk takes us by these courts, and sure enough it started with "handsome dog! Can we pet him?"  Of course he eats up the attention.  Now it doesnt matter who it is, he starts veering towards family members and spectators looking for attention every night. Luckily it cycles and is pretty much the same people every week so they love on him and he rolls on his back and hams it up for attention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added a new girl recently. She is a 10 month old mini fox terrier and is awesome so far. GF and I have always been big dog fans and never thought we would have a small dog. This is similar to what she looks like...very cute and very smart!

My GF works at a vet and she was brought in with severe multiple breaks in her leg and it needed to be amputated. Her prior owners couldn't afford/didn't want to deal with it so they told the vet to euthanize her! At 10 months old! The vet refused and told the owners that they needed to surrender her to the vet and they will treat her and find her a home.

My GF wanted to bring her home "for a night" which I was leery about because of our lab-mix and the girl wasn't spayed and was in heat. Well..that one night turned into what is now 6 weeks and we have both fallen in love with her! She doesn't even seem like she misses the leg (rear right) and gets around as well as any dog.

Oscar (our 11 year old BL mix) loves her and is very careful around her. She also gets along great with our 2 male cats.

here is another pic that looks a lot like her. Her name is Elvira Snow but she has gained the nickname "burrito butt" because the right side of her butt where her leg is missing looks like a Chipotle burrito.

 

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2016 at 9:21 PM, Chemical X said:

not sure if I mentioned this one, but my dog gets a last long walk around 8p.  elderly couple, 90s, have a house in my neighborhood and tend to sit outside some evenings.  we walk buy one night and they ask if my dog would like a biscuit.  they keep one of those butter cookie tins on the porch filled with treats.  beagle+food=ingrained memory.

next night on our walk we get near their house, but I see they aren't outside, my dog starts wagging his tail and makes a beeline up the stairs to the porch, looking around.  this is his new routine and more often than not, he gets his treat.  

i think this is a true joy in life, but without kids, I don't know......

 

:hot:

Similar story but not with our dog, it's a neighbor up the block.

Our neighbors have a Great Dane who is best buds with our dog (English Mastiff).  They're about a month apart in age and have been friends since they were 1.  There is a dog park about 1/2 block from our house and every evening the neighbors bring their dog down and we walk down there together.  Their dog is always to our house first (he walks off leash) and has learned how to ring the doorbell.  It's really cute to see this monster of a dog looking in your front window after your doorbell rings.

The sad part is my dog had surgery in May (torn ACL) and is on IR until November.  Every day the Dane comes over to say hi but we can't join them at the park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kanil said:

Similar story but not with our dog, it's a neighbor up the block.

Our neighbors have a Great Dane who is best buds with our dog (English Mastiff).  They're about a month apart in age and have been friends since they were 1.  There is a dog park about 1/2 block from our house and every evening the neighbors bring their dog down and we walk down there together.  Their dog is always to our house first (he walks off leash) and has learned how to ring the doorbell.  It's really cute to see this monster of a dog looking in your front window after your doorbell rings.

The sad part is my dog had surgery in May (torn ACL) and is on IR until November.  Every day the Dane comes over to say hi but we can't join them at the park.

dog wheel chair?  like a harness horse!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

dog wheel chair?  like a harness horse!!

You have no idea how hard it was lugging the business end of a 200lb dog around for 2 weeks.  Luckily, he got to the point he could walk on his own pretty quickly.  He's probably good to go now but the doc said 6 months so we're not going to push it (cant afford another one of those vet bills)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Added a new girl recently. She is a 10 month old mini fox terrier and is awesome so far. GF and I have always been big dog fans and never thought we would have a small dog. This is similar to what she looks like...very cute and very smart!

My GF works at a vet and she was brought in with severe multiple breaks in her leg and it needed to be amputated. Her prior owners couldn't afford/didn't want to deal with it so they told the vet to euthanize her! At 10 months old! The vet refused and told the owners that they needed to surrender her to the vet and they will treat her and find her a home.

My GF wanted to bring her home "for a night" which I was leery about because of our lab-mix and the girl wasn't spayed and was in heat. Well..that one night turned into what is now 6 weeks and we have both fallen in love with her! She doesn't even seem like she misses the leg (rear right) and gets around as well as any dog.

Oscar (our 11 year old BL mix) loves her and is very careful around her. She also gets along great with our 2 male cats.

here is another pic that looks a lot like her. Her name is Elvira Snow but she has gained the nickname "burrito butt" because the right side of her butt where her leg is missing looks like a Chipotle burrito.

 

Nice man, congrats and nice work saving the little girl. We have a toy fox terrier as well, Princess is 11 and she's awesome. For a terrier I'm surprised she's always been pretty laid back and quiet, couldn't ask for a better dog. Good luck with yours! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Billy Bats said:

Nice man, congrats and nice work saving the little girl. We have a toy fox terrier as well, Princess is 11 and she's awesome. For a terrier I'm surprised she's always been pretty laid back and quiet, couldn't ask for a better dog. Good luck with yours! 

Ours is very laid back and quiet as well. Thank for posting...may hit you up with questions/advice down the road.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife and I chatting about adding a new pup. We had two weims until spring 2015 when our girl finally passed. Our boy is 9ish (had him 5 years) and he doesn't love other dogs. We would need a submissive. Regardless, I get sent a text everytime the weim rescue adds a dog. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a BUGG (pug/boston terrier mix ) for 600 dollars 

 

Its brindle colored ..absolutely amazing animal....every positive trait you could ask for in a pet

 

i named him Wilson and hes my first dog since i had to put my pug down last april

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Billy Bats said:

Nice man, congrats and nice work saving the little girl. We have a toy fox terrier as well, Princess is 11 and she's awesome. For a terrier I'm surprised she's always been pretty laid back and quiet, couldn't ask for a better dog. Good luck with yours! 

What's with the ab shot at  2 o'clock? :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.