What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dogs are freaking AWESOME. (1 Viewer)

I've driven by this lady selling puppies on the side of the road close to my job like 3-4 times. I'm so tempted to stop and buy one, but I know financially I just can't take care of a dog right now.  :(

My friend just bought a rescued dog. He's super shy, won't come out of his cage. My friend is growing impatient, but I told him it's gonna take a while for the dog to warm up to him. However, the dog really likes his lady friend. He'll come out of his cage when she visits. 

I've driven by this lady selling puppies on the side of the road close to my job like 3-4 times. I'm so tempted to stop and buy one, but I know financially I just can't take care of a dog right now.  :(

My friend just bought a rescued dog. He's super shy, won't come out of his cage. My friend is growing impatient, but I told him it's gonna take a while for the dog to warm up to him. However, the dog really likes his lady friend. He'll come out of his cage when she visits. 
In my experience, a lot of rescue dogs are "shy" around men because that is who they have had bad experiences with in the past. If your friend is growing impatient already maybe he shouldn't have a rescue dog. A lot of them need time, space and nurturing to reach their full potential.

mine keeps eating......  everything.

she has allergies that make her gnaw. she's eaten an "indestructible" dog bed, blankets, a few tennis balls, a table leg, flip flops, a frisbee, swallowed chunks of dog bone.  all of which she has vomited up in the middle of the night.

dogs are stupid, stupid, stupid animals

mine keeps eating......  everything.

she has allergies that make her gnaw. she's eaten an "indestructible" dog bed, blankets, a few tennis balls, a table leg, flip flops, a frisbee, swallowed chunks of dog bone.  all of which she has vomited up in the middle of the night.

dogs are stupid, stupid, stupid animals
I got so lucky with mine.  She LOVES to chew, I'm not sure if she loves chewing more than playing tug of war, but she would do both 24/7 if she could.  However, other than when we had her less than a month and weren't giving her the attention she wanted and she chewed the leg on a wood bench, she hasn't chewed anything that wasn't a dog toy.  Now, she's destroyed plenty of toys labeled as indestructable or designed for heavy chewers, but only dog toys.  If she didn't have that control, we wouldn't be able to have anything nice in the house.

My older border collie ate a "pigs ear" treat that we believe didn't agree with him.  He had the treat two Sundays ago, and last Wednesday night he had a major accident.  It was in the master bathroom (where he likes to sleep on the cool tile floor) and then into the master bedroom and eventually in the closet where I found him.  The bathroom looked like a murder scene, it was horrible.  About a day or two later he stopped eating (very rare for him), so we got some chicken and rice made up for him - which we've had to do in the past when he's had an upset tummy.  He ate that no problem.  So we're putting him back on his regular dog food, and he's not eating much of it at all.  We don't know if he's protesting to get his chicken and rice back, or if he just has lost his appetite for his prior food.  Either way, if he doesn't eat more this evening for dinner I'm making a vet appointment for him.

Anyway, a question - we'd already noticed that he's losing a considerable amount of muscle mass, specifically in his back half.  I know that this is a fact of an aging dog (he's 13 now), but it seems to be happening rather fast.  Aside from this recent non eating episode, any tricks to keeping solid muscle weight on aging dogs?

any tricks to keeping solid muscle weight on aging dogs?
- Make sure he is still exercising.  Just like a person, as he ages he's going to lose flexibility and muscle tone so it's important for you to keep him mobile.  That doesn't mean treat him like he's a 4 year old dog, but if he used to go running with you for 4 miles he can still go for a shorter run, etc.  If his back half is losing tone quicker, take him on some walks/runs up hills or stairs.  "Cutting back" on exercise doesn't mean you stop it entirely.

- Make sure he's getting enough protein. Again, just like humans, that's what's going to put on the muscle.  If he's on crap food in general, or some of those "senior formulas" in particular, he may not be getting enough.  Plenty of dog foods are mostly carbs.  That's pretty much the last thing any dog, but especially an older one, needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Make sure he is still exercising.  Just like a person, as he ages he's going to lose flexibility and muscle tone so it's important for you to keep him mobile.  That doesn't mean treat him like he's a 4 year old dog, but if he used to go running with you for 4 miles, he can still go for a shorter run, etc.  "Cutting back" on exercise doesn't mean you stop it entirely.

- Make sure he's getting enough protein. Again, just like humans, that's what's going to put on the muscle.  If he's on crap food in general, or some of those "senior formulas" in particular, he may not be getting enough.  Plenty of dog foods are mostly carbs.  That's pretty much the last thing any dog, but especially an older one, needs.
:goodposting:

was just getting ready to post the same thing

:goodposting:

was just getting ready to post the same thing
It's super important for ALL dogs, but especially the old bastards.  Most commercial dog foods are utter crap when it comes to actually giving your dog the nutrition it needs.  Dogs need so few carbs it's ridiculous.  Our knucklehead eats "only" meat (his blend has some vegetables/bone/clay ground up in it) and is basically the "boring" picture of health for a 5 year old dog.  Never gets sick, doesn't get skin/coat issues, always has energy, does agility/racing when we feel like it, could probably run 3 marathons before petering out, etc.  He was a sick pup (parvo, etc etc) and researching stuff for his issues back then turned me on to the idea of "heavy protein" diets.  It's a little more expensive on the food front, but the cash saved on vet visits/meds/etc. have more than made up for it.

So my senior border collie, Luke, who I spoke about a few posts back had an "episode" two nights ago.  It was like he was having a seizure - unable to stand or walk without falling down.  He's better now, but no where near the same.  We took him to the vet yesterday for testing and such.  Blood and urine are fine.  They also did an EKG and don't see anything major wrong on it.  Now they want to do a $1,400 MRI on the dog to see what's going on neurologically.  We're unsure about that approach, as we're not sure what an MRI could actually tell us that we'd do anything about with a 13.5 year old large dog.  Thoughts?

So my senior border collie, Luke, who I spoke about a few posts back had an "episode" two nights ago.  It was like he was having a seizure - unable to stand or walk without falling down.  He's better now, but no where near the same.  We took him to the vet yesterday for testing and such.  Blood and urine are fine.  They also did an EKG and don't see anything major wrong on it.  Now they want to do a $1,400 MRI on the dog to see what's going on neurologically.  We're unsure about that approach, as we're not sure what an MRI could actually tell us that we'd do anything about with a 13.5 year old large dog.  Thoughts?
My older Lab had a similar thing. We thought she had a stroke. Went to vet. He said "its not as bad as you think". Some sort of vertigo type thing that older dogs get with a long name that I can't remember. Cleared up in a week or two. Why they can't stand or look like they are drunk is because their equilibrium is off.

My older Lab had a similar thing. We thought she had a stroke. Went to vet. He said "its not as bad as you think". Some sort of vertigo type thing that older dogs get with a long name that I can't remember. Cleared up in a week or two. Why they can't stand or look like they are drunk is because their equilibrium is off.
Vestibular?

sorry to hear about Luke...is it possible he could have something along the lines of salmonella poisoning?

According to this, a lot of dogs with it do not show clinical symptoms. I know there was a recent recall of pig's ears due to salmonella.

is it possible he could have something along the lines of salmonella poisoning?

According to this, a lot of dogs with it do not show clinical symptoms. I know there was a recent recall of pig's ears due to salmonella.
Hmm, I'll ask the vet (I'm expecting a call back later today).  Wouldn't that have shown up in the blood and urine samples?

Not sure. Did they get a fecal sample as well?
No, just blood and urine.  Just talked to vet, and I did bring this up (so thanks again).  She's doubtful that would be it as it would have more issues with his GI system, and wouldn't really explain the "event" two nights ago of him having what I thought at the time was a seizure.  At this point, we're thinking it's something brain related, a mass we can't see, or (hopefully) something in the "vestibular" line.  If it's the latter, the drugs he's on now would help and we just wait it out.  I'll spend some extra time with him this weekend and see where that goes. 

No, just blood and urine.  Just talked to vet, and I did bring this up (so thanks again).  She's doubtful that would be it as it would have more issues with his GI system, and wouldn't really explain the "event" two nights ago of him having what I thought at the time was a seizure.  At this point, we're thinking it's something brain related, a mass we can't see, or (hopefully) something in the "vestibular" line.  If it's the latter, the drugs he's on now would help and we just wait it out.  I'll spend some extra time with him this weekend and see where that goes. 
good luck!

sounds like vestibular syndrome........be very wary of the money pit.  it may look like your dog is having a seizure.  unable or unwilling to stand up, darting eyes.  will clear in about 15-30 minutes.

my older got this and it was scary, he would get an episode every 4-6 weeks or so and it scared us.  one time he peed inside.  sadly, for us, this was a forbearing of things to come.  I think there are anti nausea drugs to help the symptoms.

good luck, keep him happy and comfortable.

Vestibular?
Yes, I think that was it. My vet recognized it immediately though. And at that point, he really wasn't too concerned. If your vet is still doing tests and all, maybe it isn't this. When we left the vet's office after the diagnosis, we felt very relieved and our buddy showed steady improvement.

So I got home late last night and wanted to grill up a couple of brats quick.  Our back yard has no lighting, so my dog came out and ran around the yard while I was grilling.  I wasn't really paying attention to her, just chillin.

Brats are done and we go inside.  She runs to the living room where my wife and daughter are watching TV.  Daughter yells "what is all over you?"  I walk in to see and she has several brown damps spots on her.  I go to just rub one off her thinking it is dirt, but it is a little mooshy.  Smelly my had and yep its poop.  Apparently she found some piles of un picked up poop and decided to roll in it?  Yep, dogs are awesome.

So even though we didn't get the full MRI on my border collie, we're 99% sure that what he had was a stroke.  While he won't go down flights of stairs, he will go down 1-2 of them (so walking off the deck, or down the front porch).  The rest of them I have to carry him down.  He's fine going up them, though.  He definitely has a defined head tilt to his right all the time now - but he still seems to be a happy dog.  I'm not sure he knows that there is anything wrong with him.  As he's been a wonderful and loyal dog to my wife for 13.5 years, 8 of which have been with me around - we're doing all we can to make sure he's happy and comfortable, we owe him that.  Actually we owe him more, but there is only so much you can do for a dog that's 13.5 years old.  So we're cooking his food now, and only mixing in a bit of his "kibble" with it.  Generally it's ground chicken or turkey with quinoa and occasionally blended squash or some other veggie with it.  Getting him to eat anything has been difficult these last few weeks, but the new food has definitely helped.   He's a dog that's always loved the fall weather, so we're hoping he makes it that long so he can spend his last days lounging outside in the cool weather with a breeze.

My dog got skunked last week.  He (dog) came in the doggy door, the smell went through the whole house in about 5 seconds. He jumped up on the couch on one spot, then we got him and bathed him.  Total time in house before we got him in the tub was about 15 seconds.  We got the smell off of him mostly, his face still smells because it's hard to bathe him there as most owners can attest.  After 5 more baths throughout the week, and much cleaning in the house, the aroma is still there, both on the dog and throughout the house.  Not nearly as bad, and after each cleaning it gets better, but what a PITA.

My dog got skunked last week.  He (dog) came in the doggy door, the smell went through the whole house in about 5 seconds. He jumped up on the couch on one spot, then we got him and bathed him.  Total time in house before we got him in the tub was about 15 seconds.  We got the smell off of him mostly, his face still smells because it's hard to bathe him there as most owners can attest.  After 5 more baths throughout the week, and much cleaning in the house, the aroma is still there, both on the dog and throughout the house.  Not nearly as bad, and after each cleaning it gets better, but what a PITA.
bathe him in tomato juice?

So I got home late last night and wanted to grill up a couple of brats quick.  Our back yard has no lighting, so my dog came out and ran around the yard while I was grilling.  I wasn't really paying attention to her, just chillin.

Brats are done and we go inside.  She runs to the living room where my wife and daughter are watching TV.  Daughter yells "what is all over you?"  I walk in to see and she has several brown damps spots on her.  I go to just rub one off her thinking it is dirt, but it is a little mooshy.  Smelly my had and yep its poop.  Apparently she found some piles of un picked up poop and decided to roll in it?  Yep, dogs are awesome.
She was letting you know someone else crappped in your yard.   She was just bringing the scent to you.   Sit Boo Boo sit, good dog, ruff.

That's logical, but I have a fenced in yard.  Unless is was a stray cat or something?
It can be any animal but if your yard is fenced and this is the first time she just might have been playing and accidentally rolled in it.  But it is in their instinct when someone goes in their territory to roll in their scent to bring the scent back to the pack so the other dogs know the intruders scent.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
It can be any animal but if your yard is fenced and this is the first time she just might have been playing and accidentally rolled in it.  But it is in their instinct when someone goes in their territory to roll in their scent to bring the scent back to the pack so the other dogs know the intruders scent.
This kind of stuff is fascinating...and annoying at the same time.

Copeman said:
Have had success with this method...but did it right after dog was skunked

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/de-skunking_dog.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Having 3 dogs that can't seem to get it through their heads that skunks = bad, I cannot stress enough how well this works compared to the "shampoos" made for skunk sprays and tomato juice.  Always keep a large bottle of peroxide and baking soda under the sink just in case.  You have to get it ASAP or it is terrible.

Veterinarians offer this list of seven foodstuffs that dogs should not be allowed to eat.

1. Xylitol-containing products: Xylitol is an artificial sweetener often found in sugar-free candy and gum. It is extremely toxic for dogs.
  2. Chocolate: Chocolate contains a very toxic substance called methylxanthines, which are stimulants that stop a dog’s metabolic process.        
  3. Onions: Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to dogs. 
  4. Grapes and raisins: Grapes and raisins have proved to be very toxic for dogs no matter the dog’s breed, sex, or age. In fact, grapes are so toxic that they can lead to acute sudden kidney failure. 
  5. Fatty and fried foods: Just as fatty and fried foods are not good for humans, they are even worse for dogs. 
  6. Macadamia nuts: These are some of the most poisonous foods for dogs. Macadamia nuts, part of the Protaceae family, can cause increased body temperature, inability to walk, lethargy, and vomiting. 
  7. Avocados: The pit, skin and leaves of avocados contain Persin, a toxin that often causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. 

Avocados: The pit, skin and leaves of avocados contain Persin, a toxin that often causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. 
I've always heard this but there is a brand of dog food ,Avoderm, that features avocado . Strange 

Avocados: The pit, skin and leaves of avocados contain Persin, a toxin that often causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. 
I've always heard this but there is a brand of dog food ,Avoderm, that features avocado . Strange 
Maybe if it's using the "meat" of the avacado, and not the pit/skin/leaves that have the toxin in them, not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread