What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CB Richard Sherman (1 Viewer)

As far as I know, the only game this year that Sherman shadowed one receiver was the 49ers game, where he asked to cover Boldin after Boldin had gone off the week before.

TY Hilton torched Browner, not Sherman.

The Seahawks are now 2 out of 7 when it comes to shutting down top receivers. That's good, I suppose.
Seattle has the #2 pass defense in the entire league. What are you talking about?
Your comment does nothing to disprove his. You understand that, right?
You do understand that most of the receptions being made aren't being caught by receivers that Sherman is covering, right?

Look, I'm the first guy to say that Sherman isn't the best all around CB in the league, but trying to find minutia to somehow make him look bad is just as stupid as making arguments that he's the best.

TY Hilton torched Browner, not Sherman.
I wouldn't say he "torched" Browner. That was a hell of a good throw into a small window.

Hilton did have a TD over the top on Sherman's side of the field, but Pete Carroll addressed that play in his weekly press conference the following day. They were in zone and Earl Thomas was responsible for deep coverage on that play. That wasn't on Sherman either.

I don't think Sherman is the best in the NFL and I don't think he is a shut down corner. I do feel that he is a complete CB and one of the best.

I do grow tired of people thinking that he has no skills, that's plain ignorance.

I don't think Sherman is the best in the NFL and I don't think he is a shut down corner. I do feel that he is a complete CB and one of the best.

I do grow tired of people thinking that he has no skills, that's plain ignorance.
Meh, I just feel like "shutdown" corners are held to such a high standard. No one calls out the elite WR's when they have an off gnaw every few weeks, or an elite pass rusher that goes multiple games without a sack. IMO A player should still be considered a shutdown corner as long as they rank near the top in categories like completion percentage against, yards allowed per game, etc. Once in awhile they will have a subpar game, teams these days use lots of unique ways to get the ball into the hands of their top receivers(screens, short crosses/slants, WR pick plays, et.) which sometimes leaves the DB helpless against a completion.Not to mention that a WR can run a bad route a few times in a game and still have a good game overall, a DB can have one or two blown coverages and be great the rest of the game but still look bad in the viewer's eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meh, I just feel like "shutdown" corners are held to such a high standard. No one calls out the elite WR's when they have an off gnaw every few weeks, or an elite pass rusher that goes multiple games without a sack. IMO A player should still be considered a shutdown corner as long as they rank near the top in categories like completion percentage against, yards allowed per game, etc. Once in awhile they will have a subpar game, teams these days use lots of unique ways to get the ball into the hands of their top receivers(screens, short crosses/slants, WR pick plays, et.) which sometimes leaves the DB helpless against a completion.Not to mention that a WR can run a bad route a few times in a game and still have a good game overall, a DB can have one or two blown coverages and be great the rest of the game but still look bad in the viewer's eyes.
This thread is about to meltdown. People are actually having a football discussion. ;)

Let's make sure we have "top receivers" defined correctly. For example, the Colts have Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, and everyone else. The top receiver here is Reggie Wayne. Hilton had 140+ yards but that means zero in the context we're discussing here. So let's walk down this lane, shall we?

Panthers

Top Receiver: Steve Smith

Catches/Yards/TDs: 6/51/1

Discuss: The TD is good but otherwise 51 yards is not good for your #1 receiver.

Verdict: Shut down

49ers

Top Receiver: Going into the game everyone considered it to be Anquan Boldin

Catches/Yards/TDs: 1/7/0

Discuss: Nobody on the 49ers caught for over 40 yards

Jaguars

Top Receiver: With Blackmon suspended it was Cecil Shorts

Catches/Yards/TDs: 8/143/0

Discuss: He had 24 yards on 3 catches half way through the 3rd quarter when Seattle pulled a large majority of their starters from the game. He ended with good numbers in garbage time against the 2s and 3s.

Verdict: Shut down until the fringe NFL players came in

Texans

Top Receiver: Andre Johnson

Catches/Yards/TDs: 9/110/0

Discuss: Nothing to discuss, this was Andre Johnson being an elite player in the NFL. For the record, as far as I can tell he was 3/50/0 against Sherman.

Verdict: Not shut down.

Colts

Top Receiver: Reggie Wayne

Catches/Yards/TDs: 6/65/0

Discuss: TY Hilton had 5/140/0 but Wayne didn't have a good game.

Verdict: Shut down.

Titans and Cardinals

I'll cut right to the chase and say nobody on either team had over 70 yards receiving and only 1 TD was caught--by Jaron Brown (who I have no idea who that is).

Verdicts: Shut down.

So how exactly are we saying this is 2 of 7?

Look, I don't want to really get into this and I'm certain various folks will refute this by trying to get specific on what Sherman allowed vs. the rest of the team. I'll tell you right now, I'm simply not going to even try to determine this because I don't have the games recorded nor do I want to spend the time continuing to argue this. But you guys are really searching hard on this one.
Well lets be real then and count ACTUAL TOP WRs instead of some middle of the road WRs (not saying Sherman covered anyone though just saying against the Seahawks in general)

Elite WRs:

Steve Smith - 6 for 51 + 1 TD - Good Day (Average for the year)

Andre - 9 for 110 (above average for year) - one of the worst games for the Hawks on defense

Good WRs:

Boldin - Got shut down (1 great, 3 good, 3 bad games this season)

Shorts - 8 for 143 (above average for year) - can't blame Shorts for the Hawks taking out players stats are stats

Wayne - 6 for 65 (average game for year) - "shut down" as one Seahawks fan calls it is ludicrous as this is his normal week and he can't help that Hilton was torching the Seahawks for 150 and 2 TDs

Hilton - 5 for 150 (above average)

Fitzgerald - 2 for 17(worst game of season)

Below Average WR Games:

Britt - 1 for 7 (had 0 or 1 catch in every game but 1 this season)

In the end you can say Fitz and Wayne are still elite but one had a very average year last year with below average work at QB and the other is on the wrong side of 30 and doesn't deserve a title other than was an elite WR who is still a great WR but just a little bit past his best days.

Also, the Seahawks are one of the best out there but you can't say they are shutting down the #1 each week as that is just false when they are getting the yards and catches that they normally get in a given week (give or take a TD)

Let's make sure we have "top receivers" defined correctly. For example, the Colts have Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, and everyone else. The top receiver here is Reggie Wayne. Hilton had 140+ yards but that means zero in the context we're discussing here. So let's walk down this lane, shall we?

Panthers

Discuss: The TD is good but otherwise 51 yards is not good for your #1 receiver.

49ers

Jaguars

Discuss: He had 24 yards on 3 catches half way through the 3rd quarter when Seattle pulled a large majority of their starters from the game. He ended with good numbers in garbage time against the 2s and 3s.

Texans

Discuss: Nothing to discuss, this was Andre Johnson being an elite player in the NFL. For the record, as far as I can tell he was 3/50/0 against Sherman.

Colts

Titans and Cardinals

I'll cut right to the chase and say nobody on either team had over 70 yards receiving and only 1 TD was caught--by Jaron Brown (who I have no idea who that is).

Look, I don't want to really get into this and I'm certain various folks will refute this by trying to get specific on what Sherman allowed vs. the rest of the team. I'll tell you right now, I'm simply not going to even try to determine this because I don't have the games recorded nor do I want to spend the time continuing to argue this. But you guys are really searching hard on this one.
Well lets be real then and count ACTUAL TOP WRs instead of some middle of the road WRs (not saying Sherman covered anyone though just saying against the Seahawks in general)

Elite WRs:

Andre - 9 for 110 (above average for year) - one of the worst games for the Hawks on defense

Good WRs:

Shorts - 8 for 143 (above average for year) - can't blame Shorts for the Hawks taking out players stats are stats

Wayne - 6 for 65 (average game for year) - "shut down" as one Seahawks fan calls it is ludicrous as this is his normal week and he can't help that Hilton was torching the Seahawks for 150 and 2 TDs

Below Average WR Games:

In the end you can say Fitz and Wayne are still elite but one had a very average year last year with below average work at QB and the other is on the wrong side of 30 and doesn't deserve a title other than was an elite WR who is still a great WR but just a little bit past his best days.

Also, the Seahawks are one of the best out there but you can't say they are shutting down the #1 each week as that is just false when they are getting the yards and catches that they normally get in a given week (give or take a TD)
Well, you just changed the context of my email by removing the included thread. The original thread I responded to said "2 of 7" on shutting down the top receiver of the opposing team. So, congrats on winning the argument I wasn't making.

Elite WRs:

Good WRs:

Below Average WR Games:

Well, you just changed the context of my email by removing the included thread. The original thread I responded to said "2 of 7" on shutting down the top receiver of the opposing team. So, congrats on winning the argument I wasn't making.
Umm nope because they haven't "shut down" your supposed 6 of 7. Have they not allowed the WRs to go off for their best game of the year? Nope but they hardly shut down the opposing #1 except for (SF, ARI, TEN). Yes they are one of the best defenses I want to stress that but they are not a secondary that shuts down the best wideout and allows them 20 yards each week.

Elite WRs:

Good WRs:

Below Average WR Games:

Umm nope because they haven't "shut down" your supposed 6 of 7. Have they not allowed the WRs to go off for their best game of the year? Nope but they hardly shut down the opposing #1 except for (SF, ARI, TEN). Yes they are one of the best defenses I want to stress that but they are not a secondary that shuts down the best wideout and allows them 20 yards each week.
But they are the 2nd best defense in the league against the pass.

Nicknames are not given, they are earned. LEGION OF BOOM

Panthers

49ers

Jaguars

Texans

Colts

Titans and Cardinals

Elite WRs:

Good WRs:

Below Average WR Games:

I agree with what you wrote except this, if you can say this about Wayne, you have to say it about Smith. Both are well into their 30's and Wayne had a better year last year then Smith and was having a better year this year.

My post was actually made prior to the Fitz game, so he's should be out of the equation. It should have read 2 out of 6, since only six games had been played so far, so that was my mistake.

Smith, Shorts, Andre, and Kendall Wright all had good games at or above their season average. Boldin was shut down. I gave credit for a shutdown of Reggie Wayne, but it was a fairly decent PPR game.

It doesn't really matter whether Sherman or someone else was on them for a majority of the game, because of the original purpose of this thread was to claim that Seattle (and Sherman) shuts down top receivers. This season's stats disprove that, as top receivers are performing at fairly the same level against Seattle as they are against any other team.

Panthers

49ers

Jaguars

Texans

Colts

Titans and Cardinals

Elite WRs:

Good WRs:

Below Average WR Games:

When I made my original post, it should have read that they shutdown 2 out of 6. The Cardinals game hadn't happened yet at that point... I just made a mistake.

Smith, Shorts, Andre, and Kendall Wright all performed at or above their season average, so that's definitely not a shutdown.

Boldin was a definite shutdown. I gave credit for a Reggie Wayne shutdown, even though it wasn't far off from his average.

Whether it was Sherman on them or not doesn't matter. The purpose of this thread was to claim that Seattle is a bad WR play because Sherman will shut them down. The actual stats disprove that though.

The only truly bad shutdown at the time of my post was Boldin. Fitzgerald is a second one now.

seahawk 17 said:
solorca said:
The purpose of this thread was to claim that Seattle is a bad WR play because Sherman will shut them down. The actual stats disprove that though.
Well you're wrong, but I respect you for hanging in there.
How so? The very first post (I. E. the purpose of the thread) suggested that people bench their WR because they are playing against Sherman. The actual performance of top receivers hasn't warranted that though.I would post the quote here, but I'm on my phone and multi-quoting is difficult. Feel free to go back and read the opening post though, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

solorca said:
Whether it was Sherman on them or not doesn't matter. The purpose of this thread was to claim that Seattle is a bad WR play because Sherman will shut them down. The actual stats disprove that though.
There seems to be some confusion here...

solorca said:
Clearly... because why would it matter if Sherman is "shutting down" an opponent if they are getting plenty of yards/catches against everyone else on the team?

You can't have it both ways. If you suggest that people should bench their top receivers because Sherman will shut them down, you can't then claim that it's not Sherman's fault the receiver still put up numbers.

Are you benching your stud WR because he faces Richard Sherman this week?
Here's the opening post of the thread. I think it's pretty clear what's being suggested.Argue semantics all you like as it relates to this thread, but the point is quite obvious. Top receivers aren't auto-benches against Seattle because of Sherman.

solorca said:
Clearly... because why would it matter if Sherman is "shutting down" an opponent if they are getting plenty of yards/catches against everyone else on the team?

You can't have it both ways. If you suggest that people should bench their top receivers because Sherman will shut them down, you can't then claim that it's not Sherman's fault the receiver still put up numbers.
Carry on. You are doing yeoman's work here.

Here's the opening post of the thread. I think it's pretty clear what's being suggested.Argue semantics all you like as it relates to this thread, but the point is quite obvious. Top receivers aren't auto-benches against Seattle because of Sherman.
The guys that made that post is a tool. Seahawks fans are regularly embarrassed by his over the top homer behavior. Arguing with a guy like ITS doesn't make you look any more intelligent. It makes you look stupid for attempting to engage him in any form of conversation.

The guys that made that post is a tool. Seahawks fans are regularly embarrassed by his over the top homer behavior. Arguing with a guy like ITS doesn't make you look any more intelligent. It makes you look stupid for attempting to engage him in any form of conversation.
ITS isn't the only one ! Listening to the hawk fans in here you would think Deion/Revis/Lott/Reed in their prime are starting for the hawks.

ITS isn't the only one ! Listening to the hawk fans in here you would think Deion/Revis/Lott/Reed in their prime are starting for the hawks.
This is why ITS annoys me so much. Its inevitable that other board members start to label other Seattle fans with his toolish behavior. I've read a lot of your posts through the years BNB. I respect your opinions, but I'm disappointed you would generalize like this.

as to the legion of boom...

browner's play has slipped... reportedly he was benched briefly, recently.

chancellor is very good, not sure if he is the best SS in league (berry pro bowler)...

earl thomas is the best FS in the game, having the best season of his career, and has evolved into best overall safety (if he wasn't already).

I totally agree with this statement, and I think that he has probably played himself out of a contract extension. He has been burnt on several plays and reverted to some bad habits this season. In addition, Walter Thurmond III is a quality CB who could start and there would be no drop off in talent.

I totally agree with this statement, and I think that he has probably played himself out of a contract extension. He has been burnt on several plays and reverted to some bad habits this season. In addition, Walter Thurmond III is a quality CB who could start and there would be no drop off in talent.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Obviously we'll have to wait out the season to know for sure, but other than a few specific plays i think Browner has played fine. He let Hilton get behind him twice, but other than that I'm not too worried. The coaching staff benched him for a part of one game to send the message. For the most part I think message was received and play last week was fine. Time will tell.

It's usually the non Hawk fans that either make the legendary comparisons or they just say that Hawk fans said it.

VJAX owners what are you doing this week?

He's on my bench for Antonio Brown,Terrance Williams and Josh Gordon.

proninja said:
Which hawk fans are you referring to, BnB?
Seahawk 17

I hate games like these. There's a chance if Seattle plays up to their capabilities that they are up 3+ TDs early. If it's a competitive game I wouldn't play Vjax. If it's a blow out, he could thrive in garbage time.

Listening to the hawk fans in here you would think Deion/Revis/Lott/Reed in their prime are starting for the hawks.
I haven't seen anyone say that....I would appriciate the link to back it up though.

Its way to early in the career of the majority of the L.O.B. to determine where they will fall when its all said and done. Browner is the weak link by far, fun to watch though.

Listening to the hawk fans in here you would think Deion/Revis/Lott/Reed in their prime are starting for the hawks.
I haven't seen anyone say that....I would appriciate the link to back it up though.

Its way to early in the career of the majority of the L.O.B. to determine where they will fall when its all said and done. Browner is the weak link by far, fun to watch though.
Read his post...nowhere does he claim people have actually said it...so a link to back up something he did not say is pretty ridiculous to ask for.

According to Football Outsider's stats, Seattle is ranked 27th versus opposing team number 1 wrs (22nd versus number 2 wrs).

see: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef
And this is where I'll back up the Hawks. At some point in time the eye test has to come into play. Against Jax they gave up 51 yards rushing and had a 31-0 lead 3 plays into the second half. No wonder they gave up yards to Shorts in abundance. If the score had been closer, I doubt Jax would have accumulated 235 passing yards.

on the bench right now for gordon, k allen, and boykin, but that depends on james jones. if he looks like he's going to play, i'll swap vjax for boykin.

re: the SEA pass D, i agree they're better when the games are close. problem is i don't think TB will be anywhere near close by the 2nd qtr. w/ only VJax as a real threat. williams is done and the new RB hasn't done much. glennon @ SEA could get ugly early. definitely playing the SEA D this week.

BassNBrew said:
proninja said:
Which hawk fans are you referring to, BnB?
Seahawk 17
I think that Seattle has the best secondary in the league...so what? Sherman is one of the best CB's in the league and Thomas/Chancellor are the best Safety tandem in years. Browner is no scrub.

Here is a quote from Sherman on the matter.

Sherman considers himself the best left cornerback in the game, Brandon Browner the best right cornerback, Earl Thomas the best free safety and Kam Chancellor the best strong safety.

“I think we’re the best in the game,” Sherman said. “We’ve got the best free safety in the game, probably the best left corner, best right corner — we don’t switch sides, so we can’t be like other guys who switch sides and do all that. But we can be the best right corner, best left corner, best strong safety in the game.”

BassNBrew said:
silentcoach said:
According to Football Outsider's stats, Seattle is ranked 27th versus opposing team number 1 wrs (22nd versus number 2 wrs).

And this is where I'll back up the Hawks. At some point in time the eye test has to come into play. Against Jax they gave up 51 yards rushing and had a 31-0 lead 3 plays into the second half. No wonder they gave up yards to Shorts in abundance. If the score had been closer, I doubt Jax would have accumulated 235 passing yards.
True, Bass. So maybe we bump them up a bit - maybe even to the likes of 10th in the league vs. number 1s? Still a far cry from all the "best in years" or even "best in the league".

BassNBrew said:
silentcoach said:

True, Bass. So maybe we bump them up a bit - maybe even to the likes of 10th in the league vs. number 1s? Still a far cry from all the "best in years" or even "best in the league".
And while we can back them up as far as "real world" pass defense with that rationale...the same logic would mean that FF wise, they do still give up points...even if in garbage time. Packers have done this as well (look at the games against Washington and Minnesota)

Seattle is #3 against the pass and leads the league in interceptions. What more can you ask from your secondary?

BassNBrew said:
silentcoach said:

And while we can back them up as far as "real world" pass defense with that rationale...the same logic would mean that FF wise, they do still give up points...even if in garbage time. Packers have done this as well (look at the games against Washington and Minnesota)
Exactly. All we care about is FANTASY stats. Fantasy wise, they allow point whether it is garbage time or not. Did you see them versus Arizona a few weeks back after they had the game in hand? Blah.

The worst thing that can happen to VJax owners is to have the game be close, because then seattle will try (to those that subscribe to the "garbage points" theory).

Seattle is #3 against the pass and leads the league in interceptions. What more can you ask from your secondary?
Has the Seahawks faced a real passing team other than the Colts this year? Im not saying the Seahawks have a bad pass defense but I am saying the numbers might be a little skewed based on the passing competition. If you guys had teams like the Bronco's, Patriots and Saints on that schedule I would tend to believe the numbers a bit more.

"His four interceptions might not seem greateven though he's tied for the league lead. But consider that those interceptions came on just 40 passes thrown his way. That means he has picked off 10 percent of all passes thrown in his direction.

When not intercepting passes, Sherman holds opposing quarterbacks to a passer rating of just 53.6. That's No. 4 in the league among starting corners."

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1832301-the-top-50-players-at-the-nfls-midseason-mark/page/47

Has the Seahawks faced a real passing team other than the Colts this year? Im not saying the Seahawks have a bad pass defense but I am saying the numbers might be a little skewed based on the passing competition. If you guys had teams like the Bronco's, Patriots and Saints on that schedule I would tend to believe the numbers a bit more.
Agreed...they are a very good/great secondary. No doubt about that.

But it does not seem wise to just bench anyone against them...especially when Sherman typically does not follow a #1 WR from side to side.

Users who are viewing this thread