What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vincent Brown - What Happened? (1 Viewer)

Kilgore

Footballguy
Dude not involved at all. What the heck happened to this guy? Was supposed to be ready to be Rivers' #1 target. He's no target at all! He's almost waiveable!

Short, thin, slow WRs are just about completely DOA entering the NFL. A few have gained tons of weight and had a decent year or two (Peerless Price) and a few have managed to be decent WR3s for a few years (Harry Douglas), but mostly they just have nothing to offer as WRs.

i was wondering the same thing. apparently he has the most (or nearly the most) targets on the team. rivers has been taking "what the defense gives him. the coach says his catches will come. i will hold onto him for now, but i would be lying if i said i wasn't disappointed at this juncture of the season!

He was never good. Dude had 1 and 1/2 decent games his rookie year, and was crowned as this untapped talent that was sure to break out. He can't even make an impact with the WR corps ravaged by injuries.

He hasn't been able to get separation and Rivers really isn't looking at his outside WR's. His 1st and 2nd reads are either Gates or Royal. And now Ladarius Green has started joining the party as well down the seam giving him a huge mismatch option when they try to cover him with LB's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed pre-draft that FBG had him way higher than every other site. Not sure why. Tremblay?
FBG had him at #40 (which is where I also personally had him), while the rest of the internet had him at #44, on average.

I am in what seems to be a small minority of people now, however, who'd pick V.Brown over E.Royal going forward.

I am interested in hearing why. I don't like Royal, and I was a big fan of Brown before the start of the season. Have you watched any of the games? What is his deal?

i was really high on brown this year and picked him up in my 3 redraft leagues. I was dead wrong and never expected that Royal would reemerge. You win some you lose some.

Lets face it. The WR's ranked in the 40's are hit or miss. V.Brown is a miss. Cut him and pick someone up off the waiver wire (D.Moore / S.Holmes / etc)

Does it seem to anyone else like they are playing him in the wrong position? His strengths are that he runs really precise routes has great hands and makes quick cuts. His weakness is he's small and does not have great deep speed. He seems like he would be more suited for the slot but they're playing him exclusively on the outside.

I dropped Vincent Brown for Marlon Brown. V. Brown is dead space on a roster. Malcom Floyd is the SD WR to be targeting soon.

duaneok66 said:
I am interested in hearing why. I don't like Royal, and I was a big fan of Brown before the start of the season. Have you watched any of the games? What is his deal?
Miscast as a #1 NFL WR. Can't get open.

Does it seem to anyone else like they are playing him in the wrong position? His strengths are that he runs really precise routes has great hands and makes quick cuts. His weakness is he's small and does not have great deep speed. He seems like he would be more suited for the slot but they're playing him exclusively on the outside.
I agree but it's what the Chargers wanted to do. Alexander and Floyd as outside guys with Brown vying for slot duties. It's a case where us fantasy people saw the injuries to the other WR's and assumed it was a bump in value. It's likely he'd be manning the far more productive slot position instead of Royal had these injuries not occurred and been better off statistically for it.

For those of you thinking that Brown would be in the slot, yea no. He's too slow to play in the slot. The whole point of being in the slot is getting mismatches with slow safeties or ILB's. That's where Royal has made his living beating defenders underneath. It's where he will continue to make his living because Gates opens it up for him and vice versa.

Brown is a possession receiver, he's not overly fast, but he runs good routes (think Boldin, Brown also bulked up over the offseason). It just happens he's the 3rd or 4th read right now. Rivers is getting the ball out in an average of 2.4 seconds I think. Until defenses adjust, he's just not getting the targets.

5' 11" with a 4.7 forty. Anyone thinking he could be special was deluding themselves based primarily on a good game or two he had as a rookie.

I think the targets will come, and with them, better production. I think Brown has better overall skills than Royal, and he's consistently played more snaps this season than Royal. Royal got the hot start, but I think his ceiling going forward is much lower than Brown's. And with guys down in the what-the-heck flex range, it's generally the ceiling that matters a lot more than the floor.

5' 11" with a 4.7 forty. Anyone thinking he could be special was deluding themselves based primarily on a good game or two he had as a rookie.
I think it was more based on the training camp and preseason he had in his second year. Either way, there was a lot of extrapolation going on -- but that will be the case with any young player.

I think it was more based on the training camp and preseason he had in his second year. Either way, there was a lot of extrapolation going on -- but that will be the case with any young player.
That's why I said 'primarily'. I don't think the coach-speak from training camp would have held as much weight without the rookie stats people could point to when arguing for Brown.

Users who are viewing this thread