What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyler Boyd, CIN (1 Viewer)

pghrob

Hail to the Chief
Just a true freshman, Tyler Boyd is going to be something special. I have that same feeling for Boyd that I did when I saw Larry Fitzgerald play as a freshman.

Last edited:
i don't think he has the pedigree of fitz. i think he will probably make the NFL and could be a contributing WR but i don't see him as a game changer. optimistic ceiling: steve smith/hines ward. floor: he doesn't make the bigs.

Rotoworld:

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Sam Werner reports that Pittsburgh junior WR Tyler Boyd will declare for the 2016 NFL Draft.

As late as December 29, Boyd was indicating that he wasn't sure whether he would declare. It appears he's made up his mind, as multiple reports now have him entering the draft. The 6-foot-2, 190-pound junior caught 91 passes for 925 yards and six scores this past season. He's viewed as a possible second-to-fourth-round selection in this spring's draft. At the next level, he has the potential to evolve into a nice slot receiving option.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jan 1 - 7:13 PM
Pittsburgh junior WR Tyler Boyd has declared for the 2016 NFL Draft.

Boyd got creative with his farewell to Pittsburgh, composing a poetic letter covering his feelings about football. Among some of the lines of note, the 6-foot-2, 190-pound junior said, "I will carry you with me/I will continue to make you proud &/I promise to never forget where I came from." The poetic corner of Rotoworld approves of his line break after "&." He finishes his Pitt career having totaled 254 catches, 3,361 yards and 21 touchdowns. The strong-handed receiver's a route-running savant and could find success in the NFL out of the slot. Boyd could be drafted as early as the second round, though it's possible he falls to the third or fourth.

Source: CBS Sports

Jan 1 - 7:46 PM

I'll stick with my prediction from 2013, but leaning more towards a solid contributor with some big play ability. He should make a team and probably be a WR3, ala James Jones in his early days with the Pack. Don't ignore him.

I'll stick with my prediction from 2013, but leaning more towards a solid contributor with some big play ability. He should make a team and probably be a WR3, ala James Jones in his early days with the Pack. Don't ignore him.
I like this comp. I think he will be okay just don't reach for him

Rotoworld:

Tyler Boyd - WR - Panthers

Pitt junior WR Tyler Boyd's 2014 season is one of the more impressive we have seen from WR prospects in recent years, according to Jon Moore of Rotoviz.

Boyd was "the single most-heavily targeted receiver in college football" during the 2014 season and still managed over 10 yards per target that season. At the age of 20. Both figures surpass Amari Cooper's ridiculous campaign during the same season. Boyd then accounted for 30 percent of Pitt's total offensive yards in 2015, despite just receiving 16 percent of the touches. As Moore puts it, the defense knew Boyd was going to be the target but could not stop him. Boyd's game looked even better in 2015 when he moved into the slot.

When i watched tape on him i basically saw that he catches balls very well and runs decent routes but I didnt see him have any big plays, i look at him as a Jarvis landry like guy where he will probably have a lot of catches but not special as far as a bunch of yards or tds. basically I would say he is a solid prospect that has a very good chance at being a good NFL player

Rotoworld:

Pitt WR Tyler Boyd dropped only 10 balls on 252 targets over the past two seasons.

This is a highly impressive showing from a player who received more than 120 targets in both 2014 and 2015. Pittsburgh's offense tended to bog down when the ball wasn't in Boyd's hands, encouraging a high-usage but non-explosive strategy that fortunately catered pretty well to Boyd's strengths. We love Boyd's hands and route running ability out of the slot. He should provide a nice Day 2 find.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Rotoworld:

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein compares Pitt WR Tyler Boyd to Keenan Allen.
Allen famously tumbled to the second round because of a poor showing in the forty. Boyd may also slide into the second stanza over speed concerns. "Allen came into the league without great speed, but was physical and very productive," the analyst wrote. "Boyd doesn't look very fast on tape, but he's able to make the difficult catch (like Allen) and is highly competitive with an ability to grind out yards after the catch. Both have great body control and both are quality possession receivers when called on." Zierlein is higher on Boyd than most, ranking him No. 25 overall. The 6-foot-2, 190-pound Boyd dropped only 10 balls on 252 targets over the past two seasons.

Source: NFL.com 
Feb 15 - 3:34 PM

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline noted that Pitt WR Tyler Boyd "put on a clinic catching the ball" at the NFL Scouting Combine on Saturday.
Boyd's combine showing nicely demonstrated the dichotomy in his game. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.60 seconds--less than inspiring there--then proceeded to kill it during the catching drills. Wrote Pauline, "He was smooth, balanced and played with great efficiency. Boyd easily hauled in several over-the-shoulder receptions down the field and showed soft, supple hands." We don't have inside knowledge as to the "supple" nature of the 6-foot-2, 190-pounder's mitts, but he's always been known as a strong catching prospect. To wit, he dropped just 10 balls on his 252 targets these past two seasons. In a mid-February four-round mock draft, NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter pegged Boyd to the offense-challenged Rams at pick No. 45 in the second round.

Source: philadelphiaeagles.com

When i watched tape on him i basically saw that he catches balls very well and runs decent routes but I didnt see him have any big plays, i look at him as a Jarvis landry like guy where he will probably have a lot of catches but not special as far as a bunch of yards or tds. basically I would say he is a solid prospect that has a very good chance at being a good NFL player
Yeah,  his highlight reel isn't filled with sexy 80 yard touchdowns,  but he makes a lot of tough catches.   Watch this one

Starts out with some end zone catches,  including that back corner fade route and a really nice concentration catch.  He makes a couple deep catches.  A bunch of nice sideline routes.  Some good adjustments to badly thrown balls. Some very nice hands catches that were by all rights broken up by the defender.  A couple runs.  A lot of really nice cuts.  He isn't breaking those for huge yards but he's getting extra.  

And that body control is fantastic.  You can see him stretching twisting stopping starting reaching whatever it takes to get the ball.  

The other thing is that he was the only guy opponents were trying to take away,  and he was consistently producing over a huge number of targets.  He might not get as many targets in the NFL, but a guy who knows how to get open against just about any kind of coverage and has great hands and body control has a very high floor.  

I like the kid a lot and am probably taking him at 1.6 after Treadwell,  Coleman,  doctson, elliot,  Henry are gone. 

That's a bit harsh!  Early 2nd?  IDP?  Would your opinion change depending on where he lands?
That was in early January before it was clear just how bad this rookie class is.  Now just by default i'd take Boyd in the later 1st, but in most classes he would be a 2nd round rookie pick.

Average when your surrounded by trash can sometimes look good.  That's the case with Boyd and the 2016 WR class.

An NFL scout who spoke with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel noted that Pitt WR Tyler Boyd "has a chance to be in the latter part of the first [round]."
The scout's keen on Boyd's "smooth" catching ability, praising his "good hands" and calling the 6-foot-2, 190-pounder a "good route-runner." No argument on any of those points, but it's difficult to see Boyd as a first-rounder given the wideouts in this class who offer a more explosive set of skills. Even Ohio State WR Braxton Miller--who isn't close to Boyd in terms of technical ability at this point--could offer a more palatable option for an NFL team that's looking for upside. NFL Media's Chad Reuter projected the former Pitt star to the Rams at pick No. 45 (second round) in a mid-February mock draft and that feels like a more realistic range.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel 
Mar 3 - 2:58 PM

Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Pitt WR Tyler Boyd as the No. 59 prospect in the class.
"Was at his best in 2015 in the slot, using his limited athleticism in that area to create separation thanks to detail and a willingness to make contested catches or grabs in tight spaces," Norris wrote. "That is where he projects best." The 6-foot-1, 197-pounder logged a receiving line of 91-926-6 last year and a 78-1,261-8 line in 2014 (his YPC dropped from 16.2 to just 10.2 in 2015). Pitt's pro day is on Wednesday.

Pittsburgh WR Tyler Boyd met with the Jacksonville Jaguars, L.A. Rams, San Diego Chargers and San Francisco 49ers over the past few days.
TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that Boyd ran the forty between the mid-4.4s and the low 4.5s at Wednesday's pro day. "He looked terrific in position drills, as was to be expected," Pauline wrote. "As someone told me, 'He caught everything that touched his hands.'" No surprise there. Boyd dropped only five catchable balls on 99 opportunities last year.

Source: Walter Football 
Mar 16 - 7:21 PM

Pro Football Focus only ranks Pitt WR Tyler Boyd as the No. 11 receiver in the class.
Boyd's 40 time of 4.58 at the Combine depressed his draft stock quickly. He's now universally regarded as a second-rounder, an opinion shared by PFF, which pointed out that he dropped only five balls on 99 catchable passes last year. "If there’s an issue, it’s that he forced just six missed tackles on 94 receptions in 2015, but he should find a role in the NFL if he can maintain such a low drop rate," wrote Gordon McGuiness. To be fair, early reports out of Pitt indicate that Boyd ran the 40-yard dash in under 4.5 seconds at his Wednesday pro day. We'll update you on an exact number once we can verify one.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Mar 16 - 12:28 PM

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt noted that Pitt WR Tyler Boyd fielded punts in addition to working through wide receiver drills during his Pro Day on March 16.
Brandt wrote that Boyd "did a really good job [of catching punts]" during Pro Day. The 6-foot-1, 197-pound wideout also reportedly hauled in everything thrown his way during his more traditional wideout drills. Among the teams who took meetings with Boyd in the vicinity of that Pro Day, the Rams, Chargers and 49ers. He has also been put through an individual workout by the Panthers as he crosses his fingers for a second-round selection.

Mar 27 - 3:39 PM

NFL Media draft analyst Bucky Brooks called Pitt WR Tyler Boyd an "intriguing playmaker."
Brooks sees a nice fit between Boyd and the 49ers at pick No. 37. "He might be a little undervalued due to his measurables," the analyst said on the Move the Sticks podcast, "but he has all the stuff that you look for in a receiver who can be a No. 2 target at first and maybe develop into an anchor in the passing game eventually." Though he isn't an explosive athlete ala Corey Coleman or Josh Doctson and lacks the deep speed of Will Fuller (4.32 seconds in the 40-yard dash for Fuller, just 4.60 for Boyd), the 6-foot-1, 197-pounder has one of the best pair of hands in the receiving pool. He projects as a slot receiver in the NFL.

Apr 17 - 3:01 PM

Just watched his game against Miami. I was fairly down on him (compared to most) prior but he took some shots and popped right up. Wasn't scared and didn't lay on the ground milking it. Definitely needs to get physically stronger catching/holding the ball. 

Also, Boyd might be the guy that drove me nuts because he always throws the ball as soon as he's down. 

Will update after I watch a few more games. 

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein believes that Pitt WR Tyler Boyd is the most underrated receiver in this class.
"Is Boyd even in this draft? I never hear anyone talk about him, and he should be getting more attention," Zierlein wrote. He later added that the 6-foot-1, 197-pounder's "strong hands and ability to win the downfield 50-50 balls will help the team that takes him." We like aspects of his game, too -- those mitts are particularly appealing -- but his lack of overt athleticism could scuttle him on some draft boards.

Apr 18 - 4:51 PM

Media senior analyst Gil Brandt believes that Pitt WR Tyler Boyd is "an NFL-ready route runner."
Brandt likes Boyd as a prospect who should be receiving a little more love in the draft conversation, due in part to the fact that he has "really good size" at 6-foot-1, 197 pounds. Brandt colleague Lance Zierlein sees Boyd as the most underrated receiver in this class. The Pitt star isn't a burner, but his strong hands and crisp routes should allow him an opportunity to carve out a role as a slot receiver in the NFL. He could be drafted as high as the second round.

Apr 24 - 2:11 PM

ESPN Staff Writer 

There have been some pretty good WR-DB battles in Bengals rookie camp today. One of the highlights of the day, though, was this diving Tyler Boyd catch across the goal line.

•  
  •  
  •  

5h

Bengals WRs coach James Urban says second-rounder Tyler Boyd has been "getting better every day."
"He’s really crafty," Urban said. "He knows how to catch the ball. He takes good angles. He knows the game. But he’s going to have to be a technician. He has to be perfect with alignment and assignment. We’ll get him there." Boyd is in the lead to round out three-receiver sets with A.J. Green and Brandon LaFell.

Source: bengals.com
Jun 16 - 8:20 PM

According to Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson, the team envisions second-round pick Tyler Boyd as a slot receiver "no matter what."
Hobson reiterates that Boyd is ticketed for the old Mohamed Sanu role, with Brandon LaFell replacing Marvin Jones. Hobson did praise Boyd's game following offseason practices, stating Boyd "plays with awareness, vision and an uncommon ability to wriggle free in space." Sanu drew just 49 targets last season, catching 33 for 394 scoreless yards. Boyd may struggle to make box-score noise as a rookie barring an injury higher up the depth chart.

Source: Joe Goodberry on Twitter 
Jul 6 - 11:25 PM

Andy Dalton said second-round WR Tyler Boyd has made a "huge jump" from OTAs through training camp.
The Bengals badly need Boyd to make a contribution with Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones gone, and Tyler Eifert questionable-to-doubtful for Week 1. "He's taken a huge jump from OTAs to camp," said Dalton of Boyd. "He's made some tough catches and has been impressive." Boyd has some athletic limitations, but he was supremely productive at Pitt. He'll be manning slot for the Bengals.

Source: Sirius Fantasy on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread