What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyler Boyd, CIN (1 Viewer)

Team Smokin' said:
I'm looking at cutting bait with Larry Fitz and picking up Tyler Boyd. Crazy or Shark move?

Short bench - no room for Fitz

I'm waiting of Fitz with a new QB but your thought it not crazy at all.
The time to act is now. One more week could be too late. If Boyd doesn't work out then others are still available. The ship may go down with Fitz, DJ, and company in Arizona?

The time to act is now. One more week could be too late. If Boyd doesn't work out then others are still available. The ship may go down with Fitz, DJ, and company in Arizona?
I follow AZ pretty close.  The hired a def. guy for head coach & their offensive coord. doesn't have much of a resume except for when he had P.Manning.   Does not look good right now.

Me2. Had this guy his rookie season and was always feeling he was close. Not sure what happened last year, or this year to make such big changes but happy.

Not to rain on anyone's AJ Green's injury parade but this guy is a slot dude not a number one type so I don't think actually AJ Green being hurt helps him and might actually hurt him. A lot of guys produce as the alternate receiver but not as the number one and that was this guy's MO in his draft profile.
Yeah, I wonder how much his route running has improved since then.  The knock on him was always that he didn't get good separation, having  neither solid routes or elite quickness. 

Josh Malone could get a shot at that spot if AJ misses time.  What happened last week after Green left the game? Did where players line up change? 

Got to see the game-winning drive. I'm sure Eifert being injured was a factor, but it was amazing how much of a security blanket he was for Dalton. Converted one third down and two fourths on that drive alone.

Even if Fitz wasn't playing hurt, I think I'd have a hard time keeping this guy's production out of my lineup.

he is a great route runner, and great in the slot. Playing tougher this year, he was a high round draft pick 2 years ago and finally put it together. Perfect complement to Green.

Total stud.  Love his situation with green drawing all the best coverage.  He eats in this offense.  And he’s even better when Ross plays BC Ross pulls coverage away from the slot with his deep routes.  

Tyler Boyd caught 7-of-9 targets for 62 yards and two touchdowns in the Bengals' 28-21, Week 6 loss to the Steelers.

His nine looks were second on the team to A.J. Green's dozen. Boyd was the recipient of both of Andy Dalton's touchdowns, from two and 14 yards out, and Boyd had to make a diving catch on the two-yarder. He made a number of difficult grabs in this one on a day Dalton was off the mark. Boyd has been a steady WR2 for weeks and will stay that way next week against the Chiefs.

Oct 14 - 4:19 

Any word on his injury? I wasn't watching, but I read something about him rolling around in pain after a long catch. Then I got on a plane and didn't hear anything else about it (though he didn't have any catches the rest of the way). Rotoworld blurb didn't mention it at all, so I suppose that would indicate it's not that big of a deal?

zftcg said:
Any word on his injury? I wasn't watching, but I read something about him rolling around in pain after a long catch. Then I got on a plane and didn't hear anything else about it (though he didn't have any catches the rest of the way). Rotoworld blurb didn't mention it at all, so I suppose that would indicate it's not that big of a deal?
I was at the game and it was unbelievable he actually hung on to make the catch. He got absolutely destroyed by the safety. My first thought was concussion protocol but was actually right back in the game. 

He's been great all year.  Will finish over 1,000 yards.  Green going down, then Dalton going down--I do think his upside has taken a hit.  That said, he's got Oakland next week.  Unless you're just loaded at receiver, I don't know how you bench him.

He's been great all year.  Will finish over 1,000 yards.  Green going down, then Dalton going down--I do think his upside has taken a hit.  That said, he's got Oakland next week.  Unless you're just loaded at receiver, I don't know how you bench him.
Unfortunately, after yesterday there will be no next week. He needs AJ

Unfortunately, after yesterday there will be no next week. He needs AJ
I thought he did ok without AJ.   I feel like if Dalton were out there, he'd be ok.

In weeks 10-12:  65, 71, 85.  1 TD in those 3 weeks.  

The combination of both being out has been unkind.  He's still very talented, and lot of teams won't have the depth to bench Boyd.  But certainly worth weighing options if you've got them. I'm at the point of considering Pettis over him

I thought he did ok without AJ.   I feel like if Dalton were out there, he'd be ok.

In weeks 10-12:  65, 71, 85.  1 TD in those 3 weeks.  

The combination of both being out has been unkind.  He's still very talented, and lot of teams won't have the depth to bench Boyd.  But certainly worth weighing options if you've got them. I'm at the point of considering Pettis over him
Idk.  Seems more of a pure slot receiver.  Don't get me wrong, he is a very good receiver, but not sure he is a WR1.  He seems better suited to be a 1B player.

Idk.  Seems more of a pure slot receiver.  Don't get me wrong, he is a very good receiver, but not sure he is a WR1.  He seems better suited to be a 1B player.
I mean, it seems he’s not good enough to be the only real receiving threat, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a true #1. Curious whether he’s seeing double coverage

I mean, it seems he’s not good enough to be the only real receiving threat, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a true #1. Curious whether he’s seeing double coverage
That seems a pretty weak argument.  If he were able to be a true #1, it wouldn't have a huge effect. There are plenty of teams with a solid #1 and Jags behind him. Colts, Texans, Packers, Saints, jury's out on Chargers and Giants. 

I would put him somewhere around Golden Tate quality. 

That seems a pretty weak argument.  If he were able to be a true #1, it wouldn't have a huge effect. There are plenty of teams with a solid #1 and Jags behind him. Colts, Texans, Packers, Saints, jury's out on Chargers and Giants. 

I would put him somewhere around Golden Tate quality. 
A fair point, but all those teams (other than the Giants) have a lot more at QB than a Jeff Driskel. It can be hard to read too much into when a team as a whole goes into the kind of death spiral the bengals are in, also. I’ll give you that he’s not OBJ.

edit: not trying to move the goalposts. But Hilton and Hopkins both have had major down seasons with terrible quarterbacking as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Any updates on knee injury?
Low grade MCL Sprain per Rapoport.  

I think he's done for the season.  I've got him in a ton of keeper and re-draft.  I think you've got to proceed like he won't be there this week.  They have nothing to play for.  He hit 1,000 yards Sunday.  No personal accomplishments to play for really.  

Looking ahead to next year:  Strong WR2.  I'll be interested to see where he's going next season.  I think his stats are potentially a decent bit better if he has Dalton/Green all season.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Walk-year WR Tyler Boyd is looking for around $10 million per year on his next contract.

Despite missing two games, Boyd broke out with 76 catches for 1,028 yards, and seven touchdowns last season. Heading into the final year of his rookie deal, he hopes to parlay that production into a long-term extension in the same range as fellow 2016 second-rounder Sterling Shepard. "He got four for $40 million," Boyd said. "Hopefully, they come like that or a little bit more or around that way. I feel like my ability is worth that much." With A.J. Green also entering the final year of his deal, the future of the Bengals' receiver corps is in flux.

SOURCE: The Athletic

May 23, 2019, 10:49 AM ET

Despite a breakout year, I'm not seeing him get a lot of love in pre-season rankings.  Seems to be ranked like a low end WR3 (WR 34-36) instead of a Wr2.  Does that seem accurate?

I too am surprised at the lack of love. He had 1000 yards and seven touchdowns in 14 games.

This was with Green and Dalton missing time.  With everyone back and at his age—seems like a safe bet to repeat.

I'm pretty high on Boyd. Some numbers that I posted in another thread:

Boyd had 76/1028/7 last year in 14 games, on pace for 87/1175/8, with 9.52 yards per target.

He played 8 games with both Dalton & Green playing, 2 games with Dalton and no Green, and 4 games with Driskel as the main QB and (at least mostly) no Green. In each of those 3 setups, he averaged at least 68 yards per game and 9 yards per target.

This was just his 3rd season. He is at least a year younger than any of Golladay, Kupp, or Woods.

He had the 12th best PFF grade among WRs.

I agree he's being undervalued. Detractors will say that he did all this without Green, but as mentioned above, he actually produced better when Green was alongside him. Green will still get the lion's share of targets, but I don't think he's the target hog/game dominator he once was - leaving a lot of opportunities for others. And unless Ross takes a stop forward, it's basically Green, Boyd, Mixon and Bernard in the passing game. Eifert is really just riding on fumes at this stage and the TE cupboard is bare otherwise.

Bengals signed Tyler Boyd to a four-year $43 million extension.

The Bengals are extending Boyd before A.J. Green in a walk year. He gets just over $10 million annually, placing him ahead of recent deals for Tyler Lockett and Sterling Shepard. Boyd had a nondescript first two seasons before setting career highs last year. The Bengals are counting on him to build off his 2018 — something that may prove difficult if Green stays healthy.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 23, 2019, 11:48 AM ET

Schefter suggesting he had such a good season because Green was out seems inaccurate.  I think Boyd is better suited as the #2, and benefits from the attention Green draws away.  

Bengals were a trainwreck last season and he still thrived.the guy can flat-out play. great #2 WR for fantasy. 

This quote speaks volumes:

"Boyd had 76/1028/7 last year in 14 games, on pace for 87/1175/8, with 9.52 yards per target."

I'll take that every time! 

Moves up with Green out.

Bengals are a mess.  Should be lots of passing, garbage time points to be had.

People keep saying he fell off without Green.

Weeks 10-12 while Dalton was still in:

65, 71, 85 and a TD.  ~74 yards per game.

weeks 14 and 15 without either Dalton/Green:

52, 38 and a TD.

45 yards per game.

I think as long as Dalton is out there, he can be an 1100-1200 yard receiver.

I think he's' a WR3 in Dynasty.  He was a bit udervalued earlier in the summer, but with the Green news, I think his value is up.  

As far as Boyd/Henry--I'd be really tempted to take it depending on your roster makeup

Users who are viewing this thread