What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official CJ Spiller (1 Viewer)

1. Adam Schefter [SIZE=1em]@AdamSchefter[/SIZE] Oct 21
    Bills announced they signed former Cowboys RB Phillip Tanner and placed CJ Spiller on IR designated to return.

Interesting that Spiller got the designation to return, no?
Not really- he isn't eligible to return until week 16, so they were running out of time to use it.
That makes sense. I thought it was a 6 week designation, but either way, I guess you might as well use it "just in case."
As a Bills fan, I'm really happy that Spiller will have one more shot in a Bills uniform... hopefully this includes a playoff run too, but at least he'll get a couple weeks to audition for a new contract - either in Buffalo or elsewhere.
You realize that this just means he's eligible to return, not that he's definitely going to be able to?
Yes, Ace, I do. Thanks for caring.
Hope your day gets better, Sunshine.

What kind of value do you think Spiller carries if you were going to hold him for next year in a $150 salary cap league? I'm think about $5 is the maximum I would want to be looking at. I'm assuming there is very little guarantee that he will be a primary ball carrier wherever he is playing next year.

You think so? I've actually thought there'd be a decent chance that someone would want him to be a primary ball carrier - not necessarily an every down guy, but at least the lead guy in a committee. Still a strong talent and I'd imagine he still has 2-3 years of prime production. I'd have to look at who would be in the market for an RB, where he ends up going would make or break his value.

You think so? I've actually thought there'd be a decent chance that someone would want him to be a primary ball carrier - not necessarily an every down guy, but at least the lead guy in a committee. Still a strong talent and I'd imagine he still has 2-3 years of prime production. I'd have to look at who would be in the market for an RB, where he ends up going would make or break his value.
I agree with your thinking. I guess what I am asking is what type of player would someone be willing to trade and what % of cap would someone feel comfortable investing in Spiller with an eye towards next year. Is he worth more than say 5% of a salary cap? Is he worth 15%? I'm looking for a general feel for what cost teams would be willing to roster him at. To me he feels like a $5 type RB in my $150 salary league.

Totally off the cuff as most of my leagues are snake draft vs auction, but I'd say roughly 20-25% of the typical price of the top RBs for me personally. I still love his talent, there's just no guarantee that he goes somewhere as lead RB in a decent offense that preferably uses him better than how Buffalo used him the last two years.

IMO he can be a strong RB1 in a near ideal situation and can also potentially be flex-worthy in a 40-50% role as well.

I have the option to keep him for whats likely a mid-4th pick in 2015. Even at my most optimistic, I can't see that as a value. He's almost certainly going to end up in a RBBC and that isn't likely worth a pick in the first 3 rounds. Thoughts?

I have the option to keep him for whats likely a mid-4th pick in 2015. Even at my most optimistic, I can't see that as a value. He's almost certainly going to end up in a RBBC and that isn't likely worth a pick in the first 3 rounds. Thoughts?
Agreed

You think so? I've actually thought there'd be a decent chance that someone would want him to be a primary ball carrier - not necessarily an every down guy, but at least the lead guy in a committee. Still a strong talent and I'd imagine he still has 2

-3 years of prime production. I'd have to look at who would be in the market for an RB, where he ends up going would make or break his value.
This is how I feel about him. In the right situation I can see the same impact a guy like Reid had on Charles occurring with Spiller. (and yes I know Charles had some good fantasy seasons before Reid)

It is possible he ends up in a RBBC but even so I'd still like his value if he gets out of Buffalo as a possible low end RB1 in the right offense. In Buffalo he's a square peg in a round hole, an ill fit for that scheme. It just stands to reason that if a team is going to sign Spiller it's with designs on how to properly use him, which is entirely different than a coaching staff inheriting him and trying to find out to make him fit their scheme.

If you think he sucks I'm not here to try and change anyone's opinion, in fact I wish that's how everyone felt about him. Personally I believe his talent pops and I think despite his age as was alluded he's got 2-3 years left. I've tried to pick him up in a few leagues but just get shot down, typically offering what amounts to about a second round pick, which is why I say I wish everyone thought he sucked.

There are guys in the league right now scoring well that have a lot less talent than Spiller because their situation is good for them.

I definitely think Spiller is the type of guy where his situation will be by far the largest determining factor of what his value will be.

Right now his value is "top of the line flier"

So, Spiller could start practicing Wednesday Dec. 3rd. Marrone won't say if we'll practice that day.

Could be eligible to play week 16 @OAK.

Could be a boost for BUF D/ST (better chance of kick return TD).

Not sure if does punt returns, but they could use help there (McKelvin went on IR and FJax has been fielding them :shock: ).

No indication whether he'll resume his previous RB duty (10-15 carries per week) or how that may affect Fred Jackson, Bryce Brown, Anthony Dixon (Booby Dixon).

Real question is if he is droppable after coming off of IR
For dynasty leagues, I think he's still a hold into the off-season. Wherever he signs in the off-season, it will be with a team that is intent on featuring him... and that could still include Buffalo. Fred Jackson has shown that he can no longer be depended upon being a bell cow RB and the Dixon/Brown combo haven't necessarily set the world on fire either.

Real question is if he is droppable after coming off of IR
For dynasty leagues, I think he's still a hold into the off-season. Wherever he signs in the off-season, it will be with a team that is intent on featuring him... and that could still include Buffalo. Fred Jackson has shown that he can no longer be depended upon being a bell cow RB and the Dixon/Brown combo haven't necessarily set the world on fire either.
If that was a given, he'd be more than a "hold". His stock is about as low as it could be right now, so if you think he'll be featured next year then he's an obvious buy. I think he's a much better RB than Chris Johnson, but if he gets stuck in a similar situation as Chris Johnson then his value will be much less than if he got a feature job somewhere such as Baltimore, Indy, New England, etc.

To be activated off IR

Chances he 1) plays and 2) plays well enough to win some desperate souls some $?
Is perhaps teh bigger question, how much does he effect Fred Jackson?
Yep. There is that angle, too. And (as a FJax owner) I fear that is the more likely outcome...Spiller plays just enough to not be a help himself but takes away enough from Jackson that he's not much help, either. Fingers crossed that Spiller would take more from what is going to Brown/Dixon than what is going to Jackson but it would just be better if he's not in the picture at all, IMO.

Grigs Allmoon said:
whiskey7 said:
To be activated off IR

Chances he 1) plays and 2) plays well enough to win some desperate souls some $?
I don't know about #1, but I don't see any way #2 would happen. He wasn't playing any better than Jackson/Dixon/Brown are now, before the injury. What rationale would the staff have for throwing a significant play count at him?
Agreed. And none, IMO.

But, they have re-activated him and if he does play this week, even a handful of touches for Spiller is potentially that many fewer for Jackson. In the 'chip, I don't want one of my starting RBs losing touches. So I have concerns over starting Jackson (not that he doesn't yield some work now, anyway) and would say picking-up and starting Spiller is the most desperate of swings for the fences. So the concern is one guy (who is not a viable starting option) may be added to the mix and render a viable guy even more risky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Bills have yet to decide if C.J. Spiller (collarbone) will be active for Week 16.

"I think he looks good," coach Doug Marrone said Thursday. "It's just a matter of waiting until the end of the week and make a move there." Marrone went on to say Spiller has looked "explosive," and is "moving well." Spiller will change the pace for Fred Jackson if he's active against the Raiders.

Source: WGR 550 Buffalo

Dec 18 - 5:50 PM

Rotoworld:

Speaking Monday, Bills GM Doug Whaley said he hoped to re-sign impending free agent C.J. Spiller.

"We'll do everything we can to keep (him)," Whaley said. "We think he can bring something to our offense and be a nice weapon for us." We're not entirely sure Whaley is being sincere, but even if he is, there's no guarantee the feeling is mutual. Spiller has struggled for consistent and correct usage in Buffalo, and is likely looking forward to reaching the open market. Spiller turns 28 in August.

Source: Bills on Twitter

Dec 29 - 3:23 PM

Fjax outplayed him before the injury, so I think it's nothing to worry about
He was "better" than Marshawn Lynch too_Operation "production outside of Buffalo" is now a Go for CJ. He's no Marshawn Lynch, but he's a productive back that will help fantasy teams next year.

Fjax outplayed him before the injury, so I think it's nothing to worry about
He was "better" than Marshawn Lynch too_Operation "production outside of Buffalo" is now a Go for CJ. He's no Marshawn Lynch, but he's a productive back that will help fantasy teams next year.
Yeah, and I'm not even sure any of those statements were true anyway. Did Fred Jackson play well while Lynch was riding the bench? Yes. Did Jackson get more receptions than Spiller this year? Yes. Did he actually outplay either one? Not really. All three are/were good players, however, I'm not convinced a healthy Fred Jackson was ever better than a healthy Lynch or healthy Spiller. Certainly he was a better blocker than Spiller and perhaps better in short yardage, but I think Spiller is a better pure receiver and obviously has better break away ability. I think Spiller is one of just a few RBs who can not only get open on a sideline go route vs. a CB, but also catch a ball with his hands 40 yards downfield.

Regardless, Spiller will be one of the more interested free agents this year. If he goes somewhere that he'll be featured 60/40 with a shot at 200 rushes and 40+ receptions, he could have great value next year. If he gets stuck in a 2014 New England type situation (nobody cracks 150 touches) then not so much. Scheme and health will be key.

The only thing holding Spiller back from being really good is health.

Unfortunately, health has a pretty strong grip on him

Rotoworld:

According to FOX Sports Arizona's Mike Jurecki, the Cardinals had interest in free agent C.J. Spiller before October's trade deadline.
Spiller's broken collarbone torpedoed his trade value, but this is notable now that Spiller is headed to the open market. The Cards could use Spiller in an explosive tandem with Andre Ellington, who failed to withstand a full 2014 workload. Spiller is also thought to be coveted by Eagles coach Chip Kelly.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter
Jan 5 - 3:11 PM

Rotoworld:

According to FOX Sports Arizona's Mike Jurecki, the Cardinals had interest in free agent C.J. Spiller before October's trade deadline.
Spiller's broken collarbone torpedoed his trade value, but this is notable now that Spiller is headed to the open market. The Cards could use Spiller in an explosive tandem with Andre Ellington, who failed to withstand a full 2014 workload. Spiller is also thought to be coveted by Eagles coach Chip Kelly.

I can see Spiller being a good fit in both AZ and Phi.

I just want to see him go somewhere he will be appreciated and used in the right ways.

Spanky24 said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

I can see Spiller being a good fit in both AZ and Phi.

I just want to see him go somewhere he will be appreciated and used in the right ways.
Not sure about Arizona, but he could certainly be a bigger/faster version of Sproles in Philly. However, for fantasy purposes, splitting time with Ellington or McCoy would not be optimal.

The Colts should try to sign him. He would do great working in the role that Bradshaw filled this year.

I own spiller in one league. My hope is that he goes to indy or atlanta. His value will skyrocket for that right owner for me to pawn him off on for good value.

As my 4th RB i dont think he has much value to me in terms of my lineup.

I might even sell now in case he goes somewhere crappy

Unless they cut Dixon, F-Jax, and Bryce Brown, not sure why Spiller would want to go back to Bills. Praying he goes ANYWHERE other than Buffalo.

I can (probably) deal Spiller for a 2016 1st from a team I think will miss the playoffs. I am pretty sure that is a deal I have to take.

I can (probably) deal Spiller for a 2016 1st from a team I think will miss the playoffs. I am pretty sure that is a deal I have to take.
I would do the deal, but thinking they will miss the playoffs is far from a certain. A good draft this year and a couple of waiver guys and they are a lock for the playoffs

If he stays healthy he probably does well. Kinda like if Gordon wised up he would do well. Both not the likeliest to do those things.

- signee Justin Blackmon

Rotoworld:

Speaking Thursday, Bills GM Doug Whaley said he was going to do his "darndest" to re-sign impending free agent C.J. Spiller.

"I’m sure he’s disappointed with how last year went with the injuries, but we want him to come back with us and get back to the form we know he can play at," Whaley said, echoing comments he made in December. Spiller's chances of remaining in Buffalo have increased with the additions of Rex Ryan and Greg Roman, but he's still a good bet to reach the open market.

Source: buffalobills.com
Jan 15 - 3:08 PM

Why would anyone be buying on this guy?
Dont know.I would pay a late 2nd if i needed rb help and try to get lucky
I've never been impressed with the guy. While he did have 1 good season, he is a walking injury. I've seen a great deal of talk about him going to the Saints this offseason. As a fan, I don't approve. I'd love to see NO sign Vereen before this guy.
I dealt Spiller for Vereen in dynasty after Spiller's injury this past season. Not sure how that trade will pan out in the upcoming years.

dickey moe said:
Why would anyone be buying on this guy?
Dont know.I would pay a late 2nd if i needed rb help and try to get lucky
I've never been impressed with the guy. While he did have 1 good season, he is a walking injury. I've seen a great deal of talk about him going to the Saints this offseason. As a fan, I don't approve. I'd love to see NO sign Vereen before this guy.
I dealt Spiller for Vereen in dynasty after Spiller's injury this past season. Not sure how that trade will pan out in the upcoming years.
probably won't really matter, neither is a difference maker.

Spiller must REALLY like Buffalo or his teammates to want to return there. What a waste of talent....

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York calls free agent C.J. Spiller an "ideal fit" for the Jets.

This is a simple connection of the dots. Chris Johnson is expected to be cut, leaving the Jets in need of a speed complement to Chris Ivory. Spiller did his best work as part of Chan Gailey's spread offense in 2012, racking up 1,703 total yards and eight touchdowns for him in 2012. Now Gailey is the Jets' offensive coordinator and Spiller won't be expensive after compiling a wildly disappointing 280-1,233-2 line over the last two seasons (24 games).

Related: Jets

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 9 - 9:47 AM

Users who are viewing this thread