Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seahawk 17

Official CJ Spiller

With what money would the Saints sign Spiller? They're $3M over the cap right now. They just signed Ingram to $4M a year. Where would they get the money to pay Spiller'?

The Graham trade freed up a lot of money for them.

With what money would the Saints sign Spiller? They're $3M over the cap right now. They just signed Ingram to $4M a year. Where would they get the money to pay Spiller'?

It actually added to their cap hit this year because $9M of Grahams was dead plus Unger plus the #1 pick. Next year it will lower it.

Doesn't seem like he's that interested in going too far from the East Coast. Has he been connected to a single West Coast team yet?

1. Spiller is going to end up in San Diego

:X

At least he would be the feature back there.

It actually added to their cap hit this year because $9M of Grahams was dead plus Unger plus the #1 pick. Next year it will lower it.

Yep, they saved $2M with Graham, lost $4.5 with Unger and some $$$ for the #1 pick. That said, with the amount they save over the next two years, they could play funny money, but honestly Spiller doesn't help IMHO as more defensive help.

Yeah, if its not Dallas, this seems like the best possible landing spot in my opinion. Only other place where he would be a clear 1A.

Spiller market is as squeazably soft as a roll of Charmin.

Darren McFadden gets inked before Spiller? The league has either soured on him completely, or his price tag is too high. Not hearing about a single visit other than New Orleans, who is in the midst of a total purge and has no money to spend. I was definitely mistaken in my belief that there would be a strong market for him. A high ankle sprain and a broken collar bone crushed his value apparently.

He may be lamenting his decision to turn down the Bills offer right now.

I wonder why he isn't mentioned in Carolina at all since he went to Clemson and we need RBs. Stewart gets hurt all the time. Love him when he was healthy last year, but he and Fozzy aren't a real deep RB pool. Now that Williams is gone, Spiller would be a nice piece of the puzzle. I guess as you say, maybe it is a money issue, but if he plays well, Carolina is one of those places where he could jump into the #1 role.

I wonder why he isn't mentioned in Carolina at all since he went to Clemson and we need RBs. Stewart gets hurt all the time. Love him when he was healthy last year, but he and Fozzy aren't a real deep RB pool. Now that Williams is gone, Spiller would be a nice piece of the puzzle. I guess as you say, maybe it is a money issue, but if he plays well, Carolina is one of those places where he could jump into the #1 role.

:moneybag:

I doubt McFadden is keeping Spiller from Dallas. If they could agree to terms, he would send McFadden to the bench where he belongs (well, IR is probably where McFadden is most comfortable) ;)

Spiller signing with the Saints. Could be a top 10 RB in that offense easily.

If he beats out that lump of coal in the backfield.

So clueless.

So clueless.

I'd probably draft Spiller ahead of Ingram. Cognitive dissonance. I love this signing just for the fantasy Mark Ingram train wreck. First, he signs back with the Saints. Then, they sign the biggest boom/bust back ever. I love it. Have fun with it, bud.

Rotoworld:

Saints signed RB C.J. Spiller to a four-year contract.

No. 1 back Mark Ingram and new No. 2 Spiller are both now under the Saints' control for the next four seasons. As the Saints have moved on from top passing-game targets Jimmy Graham and Kenny Stills, they appear to be going all-in on a ball-control offense featuring Spiller, Ingram, and Khiry Robinson with lane-creator Max Unger at center. Spiller's usage probably won't change much going from Buffalo to New Orleans, but we'd trust Sean Payton to utilize him in far more effective ways than Doug Marrone did. He'll be back on the fantasy RB2 radar, probably handling 9-14 touches per game.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 13 - 12:55 PM

I do think if Spiller is more effective than Ingram, and he very could/should be, then I think Payton will give him the work. Pierre was an undrafted free agent RB and he ended up (at one point) with the highest ypc for any RB in Saints history. Sproles' last year in SD he had under 800 total yards yards from scrimmage; his first year under Payton he had nearly double that at 1300+ yfs and he set the NFL record for most total yards in a season. Chris Ivory averaged 5.1 ypc with the Saints, he averaged 4.1 with the Jets last year.

I think what excites me most is Spiller's breakaway ability on the Dome turf, he is going to have some big plays. I just think it would help if the Saints get more WR help to spread the field out more.

I do think if Spiller is more effective than Ingram, and he very could/should be, then I think Payton will give him the work. Pierre was an undrafted free agent RB and he ended up (at one point) with the highest ypc for any RB in Saints history. Sproles' last year in SD he had under 800 total yards yards from scrimmage; his first year under Payton he had nearly double that at 1300+ yfs and he set the NFL record for most total yards in a season. Chris Ivory averaged 5.1 ypc with the Saints, he averaged 4.1 with the Jets last year.

I think what excites me most is Spiller's breakaway ability on the Dome turf, he is going to have some big plays. I just think it would help if the Saints get more WR help to spread the field out more.

Spiller is going to be a great RB #3. Will have some huge games and if Ingram gets hurt could be a RB #1 for a stretch.

“I’ve been following this offense very closely. We tried to do some similar stuff at Buffalo early on in my career. The way that they use their running backs in general is very intriguing. If you were in my position, you would be a fool not to visit or at least see how they could utilize your skillset, especially my type of skillset. I am looking forward to it, whatever my role may be. Anything that I can do to try and help the offense be successful and help the team be successful that is what you have to do. You have to put your ego aside because at the end of the day there’s only one thing that matters and that’s getting to the playoffs and trying and win a Super Bowl.”

So I'm trying to understand what Gailey did that was so helpful in freeing Spiller up and making him a top-10 back from the 2nd half of 2011 through 2012. What made him so special during those seasons? - Anyone?

Thanks.

Spiller is going to be a great RB #3. Will have some huge games and if Ingram gets hurt could be a RB #1 for a stretch.

If Sproles could be a top 12 RB in this offense then so can Spiller. I'll actually be pretty shocked if he's outside the top 18.

Buffalo had terrible run blocking and they didn't use him very well. I know everyone has short memories in FF, but we're talking about Sean Payton here. You don't think he spent that kind of money on Spiller to use him like Doug Marrone, do you? Also, as other have pointed out in different threads, Spiller has actually been pretty durable. I don't think he needs an Ingram injury to be an RB1, but an Ingram injury is much more likely than a Spiller injury.

I haven't had Spiller on many teams in the past, but I think he'll be a nice redraft value play this year. I'll be monitoring his ADP closely.

Surprisingly good article by bleacher report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2396566-cj-spiller-a-perfect-fit-as-sean-paytons-newest-gadget-weapon

If Sproles could be a top 12 RB in this offense then so can Spiller. I'll actually be pretty shocked if he's outside the top 18.

Buffalo had terrible run blocking and they didn't use him very well. I know everyone has short memories in FF, but we're talking about Sean Payton here. You don't think he spent that kind of money on Spiller to use him like Doug Marrone, do you? Also, as other have pointed out in different threads, Spiller has actually been pretty durable. I don't think he needs an Ingram injury to be an RB1, but an Ingram injury is much more likely than a Spiller injury.

I haven't had Spiller on many teams in the past, but I think he'll be a nice redraft value play this year. I'll be monitoring his ADP closely.

Surprisingly good article by bleacher report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2396566-cj-spiller-a-perfect-fit-as-sean-paytons-newest-gadget-weapon

is that offense going to be the same offense? I really don't see it. They have garbage at WR, no TE, an aging Brees that looked mortal and a couple middle of the road RBs. Look at the team last year and think worse this year. I don't know why people are assuming this is going to be the Saints offense of the past few years. I don't see it at all. It's much easier to run when you have Graham drawing attention and getting doubled all over the field but who are teams going to fear in that offense now? Colston? Cooks? Toon? Why won't teams crowd the line to stuff the run?

At this point this offense looks really overrated based on reputation alone. I'll let others load up on Saints.

The Saints missed that ability to just run to the corner and convert 2nd or 3rd and short without dropping back to pass. Reggie and Sproles were great at this, and it's really just a pure speed thing. Spiller has the speed. I think this was a big reason the offense stalled so much and/or Drew forced so many picks last year.

The Saints missed that ability to just run to the corner and convert 2nd or 3rd and short without dropping back to pass. Reggie and Sproles were great at this, and it's really just a pure speed thing. Spiller has the speed. I think this was a big reason the offense stalled so much and/or Drew forced so many picks last year.

but he won't have the space that Sproles/Reggie had. that offense >>>> this one.

but he won't have the space that Sproles/Reggie had. that offense >>>> this one.

We'll see. I don't think it's as bad as you are making it out to be. The interior O line really hurt the O last year, and I expect it to be improved this year. Don't sleep on Josh Hill either. I saw something in him that I really liked, and I think The Saints did too. If Drew gets a better pocket, he will find someone to throw to.

I think the offense is designed to create space, if you read the articles on what Gailey does and did in 2012 it's definitely familiar. The offense had stalling problems last year but Spiller will help that. Won't fix it but is part of the solution. The offense was considered clunky and Brees had ~5000 yards passing and Ingram had his best season.

colston will see a bunch of targets this year and cooks and spiller will see a ton too. hill is going to be so over hyped, 6'5" 230 lbs isnt he 20 pounds lighter then most tes?

colston will see a bunch of targets this year and cooks and spiller will see a ton too. hill is going to be so over hyped, 6'5" 230 lbs isnt he 20 pounds lighter then most tes?

I don't think they are counting on him to block much.

is that offense going to be the same offense? I really don't see it. They have garbage at WR, no TE, an aging Brees that looked mortal and a couple middle of the road RBs. Look at the team last year and think worse this year. I don't know why people are assuming this is going to be the Saints offense of the past few years. I don't see it at all. It's much easier to run when you have Graham drawing attention and getting doubled all over the field but who are teams going to fear in that offense now? Colston? Cooks? Toon? Why won't teams crowd the line to stuff the run?

At this point this offense looks really overrated based on reputation alone. I'll let others load up on Saints.

I know everyone just follows the aggregate stats, but the advanced statistics showed that Graham was not actually all that special. I don't think his loss is going to impact the offense nearly as much as you do. Stills was the only loss at WR that I know of an he wasn't targeted that often. And stuffing the line will be more of a problem for Ingram than Spiller, as I expect most of his yards and touchdowns will come through the air. However, the blocking should be improved from last year. If you'd read the article I linked you'd have seen this:

Center Max Unger, who came over in the Graham trade, was Pro Football Focus’ fourth-best run-blocking center in the league last season. Ben Grubbs, whom the Saints traded to the Chiefs, graded out as the worst run-blocker of the Saints' starting five offensive linemen.

I was definitely mistaken in my belief that there would be a strong market for him. A high ankle sprain and a broken collar bone crushed his value apparently.

That and he can't block, and is overrated as a runner.

Any chance he gets punt/kick return duties?

I'm not sure what the competition is like, but considering Ingram is just as good an overall RB, I think there's a real good change they use Spiller on special teams.

Any chance he gets punt/kick return duties?

I'm not sure what the competition is like, but considering Ingram is just as good an overall RB, I think there's a real good change they use Spiller on special teams.

And you pay $4million/season to special teamers because? (You're incredibly stupid/you lack sentience: choose 1).

Spiller in New Orleans is pretty exciting for PPR - he could easily catch 80 passes. That's what Bush/Sproles averaged in their 8 years with the Saints (per 16 games): 81/634/4.3 receiving + 110/486/3.4 rushing.

It all comes down to ADP/dynasty value for me. Spiller could be a smart aquisition unless everyone is aware that he could catch a ton of passes. Ingram is still the lead there and idk about spending like a 5th rounder on a guy whose most reasonable outlook is like 900/4 with 50 rec (just spitballing, not a real projection). Remember, if the Saints really do run more, that means less passes, though I would say if they dont draft a WR in round 1 or 2 (unlikely?) then even a reduced passing offense wouldhave to be filtered heavily through their RB

Rotoworld:

Saints coach Sean Payton made it clear he will prioritize getting C.J. Spiller the ball "in space."

Doug Marrone's Bills staff didn't make this a priority, instead banging Spiller between the tackles. His production fell off a cliff under Marrone, but Payton is likely to utilize Spiller similarly to how Chan Gailey did. "He’s explosive," Payton said of Spiller. "He knows what to do. I think there’s a real good fit for him with what we’re going to do offensively. We’ll put him in a role where, whether he’s in the backfield, (or) flexed out. The key I think for him is when we study him is finding him ways to get him the ball in space and let him utilize his skillset and speed." According to Fantasy Football Calculator, Spiller's Average Draft Position is currently in the middle of round five.
May 31 - 1:47 PM

From Rotoworld today. Very positive viewpoint.

The Baton Rouge Advocate's Nick Underhill predicts C.J. Spiller will handle more touches than Mark Ingram this year.

Underhill guesses Ingram could handle 185 carries to 140 for Spiller, and the latter is sure to be used far more in the passing game. "With the baseline set, I expect Spiller to end up with more touches," writes Underhill. Underhill continues on Spiller, "I expect him to do big things" in Sean Payton's offense. While we'd still bet on Ingram leading New Orleans' backfield in usage, we can't rule out Spiller earning a sizable workload depending on health and performance, and playing a huge role as a receiver. Spiller has legitimate RB1 upside in PPR leagues.

The Baton Rouge Advocate's Nick Underhill predicts C.J. Spiller will handle more touches than Mark Ingram this year.

Underhill guesses Ingram could handle 185 carries to 140 for Spiller, and the latter is sure to be used far more in the passing game. "With the baseline set, I expect Spiller to end up with more touches," writes Underhill. Underhill continues on Spiller, "I expect him to do big things" in Sean Payton's offense. While we'd still bet on Ingram leading New Orleans' backfield in usage, we can't rule out Spiller earning a sizable workload depending on health and performance, and playing a huge role as a receiver. Spiller has legitimate RB1 upside in PPR leagues.

PPR is just the scourge of FF... Makes writers and analysis so lazy. Sproles was a top 12 RB in 0ppr leagues one year and Spiller is likely to get more carries than Sproles. Thus, it could be written "Spiller has legitimate RB1 upside" without the lazy qualifier of "in PPR leagues" but I guess that just seems like a safer thing for people to say.

PPR is just the scourge of FF... Makes writers and analysis so lazy. Sproles was a top 12 RB in 0ppr leagues one year and Spiller is likely to get more carries than Sproles. Thus, it could be written "Spiller has legitimate RB1 upside" without the lazy qualifier of "in PPR leagues" but I guess that just seems like a safer thing for people to say.

An odd thing to get your panties in a wad over.

FF "analysis" is nothing but fortune telling. PPR or not.

The Bills were trying to plug a "circle" Spiller into a "square" role his entire career.

Payton knows how to get the most out of his players and should get him into space so he can do what he does best.

Such a frustrating existence thus for in the NFL for Spiller but he could really come into his own this season, IMO.