What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official CJ Spiller (4 Viewers)

Fantasy football is the devil.

I hate a player who I would otherwise like simply b/c I have Spiller. F @$% F Jax!

Could have been an easy TD for C.J. there.

First touchdown of the year and you guys are all told ya so. Let's see how it wraps up. 59 yards, 1 td, no receptions... not exactly elite numbers yet.

[ETA: don't get me wrong. I'm a Spiller owner and a fan. I'm a little bitter... disappointed... but ultimately I want him to bounce back. I hope he does.]
nice Beret chachi.

I know he's hurt but it's apparent that marone has no idea how to use cj. No screens and all his runs are up the gut. I don't get it

I hate a player who I would otherwise like simply b/c I have Spiller. F @$% F Jax!

Beggars can't be choosy. I was seriously expecting a bagel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that BUF coaching staff is not maximizing Spiller's touches. I don't understand how they cant design things to get Spiller with any space on screens, pitches, quick passes, something.

And he needs more snaps in better situations.

Starting to dislike Maronne or whatever his name is.

Agree that BUF coaching staff is not maximizing Spiller's touches. I don't understand how they cant design things to get Spiller with any space on screens, pitches, quick passes, something.

And he needs more snaps in better situations.

Starting to dislike Maronne or whatever his name is.
Doug moron?

Thankful for my points tonight and now know where to direct my frustration.

This coaching staff is NOT doing a good job of putting Spiller in position to be productive.

Down 13 with less than 2 minutes left..... and it's Jackson out there and not the guy with big play potential in Spiller. Unbelievable.

Was busy at work before the game started. I panicked and checked this site and it said he was questionable so I benched him to only find out now that he is active??? WTH????

FJax is much better at pass protection hence he is always in there on passing downs. You Spiller owners are just delusional. The guy is over-rated .... Keep drafting him in the 1st round

Drafted Spiller in the first and FJax in the 15th round, I think I still got enough value from that package.

Spiller owners like myself just have to face the reality that FJax is still a damn good ballplayer and deserves to be in there a lot.

Hard not to root for a guy like Fred even if it's costing my fantasy team. I'm just kicking myself for not handcuffing Spiller with him when I had the chance.

One of bills beat writters said spiller could barely walk after the game. I think we got luck with that run. Could of easily been a donut for Cj

well the plus is he has 10 days to recover. and yes obviously every Spiller owner is crazy lucky. Considering his other 7 carries went for what 12 yrds? lol

Spiller owners like myself just have to face the reality that FJax is still a damn good ballplayer and deserves to be in there a lot.

Hard not to root for a guy like Fred even if it's costing my fantasy team. I'm just kicking myself for not handcuffing Spiller with him when I had the chance.
agree with this...F Jax was dirt cheap in my league where I have Spiller, no clue why I didn't get him.

Really though, I am still not overly bothered by F Jax's usage other than at the goal line - what appealed to me about Spiller was that even if he didn't get "run til he threw up", we had already seen him put up top ten numbers on ~250 touches. He is getting 20+ touches every game he doesn't get hurt, it's the efficiency that is ruining it.

I noticed them running read option a couple times last night - does Manuel ever keep when they run that? I don't recall him keeping it any last night. It's not gonna help Spiller any if Manuel never runs.

Beggars can't be choosy. I was seriously expecting a bagel.
Same here. I rolled with McGahee over Jackson and Spiller.

Jackson would have been the optimal start, but at least I got 13 out of McGahee. Jackson and / or Spiller could have equally ended up with nothing. The whole thing was a crapshoot without hindsight.

One thing from Watching McGahee... he sure looks slow and is headed back to the wire now that Spiller / Jackson have shown themselves to be mostly healthy.

Down 13 with less than 2 minutes left..... and it's Jackson out there and not the guy with big play potential in Spiller. Unbelievable.
Maybe ensuring his health with a game that's pretty much out of reach?
If that were their intention, then why have Fred Jackson out there? Last I checked, he was banged up too. If they wanted to throw in the towel, just have Choice out there and call it a day. That they had Jackson out there at least shows they wanted to try and if they wanted to try, then the big play ability of Spiller made far more sense in that scenario.

Maybe ensuring his health with a game that's pretty much out of reach?
If that were their intention, then why have Fred Jackson out there? Last I checked, he was banged up too. If they wanted to throw in the towel, just have Choice out there and call it a day. That they had Jackson out there at least shows they wanted to try and if they wanted to try, then the big play ability of Spiller made far more sense in that scenario.
My guess is that Spiller was gimpy after that long TD run and maybe the coach thought it was too risky to put him out there in pass protection with the young 2nd string QB out there trying to mount a comeback. Hopefully the extra couple days will help him heal up and back on track for 20 touches a game. Still a lot of football to be played and I was actually encouraged in what I saw during that TD run. The dude is obviously a special talent to rip that run off with a bad ankle... and hopefully the coach will figure out how to use him... sooner rather than later.

I unloaded Spiller right before last night's game, packaged him, Julius Thomas and Miles Austin for Vick, Jordy Nelson and Garrett Graham (I also have Jimmy). It is a TD-heavy league and needed QB help as Russell Wilson had been a dud.

Baloney Sandwich said:
I unloaded Spiller right before last night's game, packaged him, Julius Thomas and Miles Austin for Vick, Jordy Nelson and Garrett Graham (I also have Jimmy). It is a TD-heavy league and needed QB help as Russell Wilson had been a dud.
I don't like Spiller as much as most but think you got hosed bad.

This is the perfect time to trade Jackson. He had a good game. He had more carries then spiller and if people don't look into it they won't realize it was because spiller wasn't 100%. Also, he hasn't played a full season the last two years. That isn't something that usually corrects itself when you are a 32 year old RB. So it is only a matter of time before he goes down.

I am fully shopping him now to see what I can get. Also the turnover in QB has me worried that they could go back to the spiller dump offs that worked so well last year.

Baloney Sandwich said:
I unloaded Spiller right before last night's game, packaged him, Julius Thomas and Miles Austin

for Vick, Jordy Nelson and Garrett Graham (I also have Jimmy). It is a TD-heavy league and needed QB help as Russell Wilson had been a dud.
Perhaps but I upgraded myself at two positions (QB&WR) while making myself weaker at one (RB). It comes down to Vick staying healthy and being productive. Perhaps Spilker decides to go off but unless Jackson gets hurt I don't see the TDs coming to him and in my league that is all that really matters. Thomas is a good player but I'm not starting him over Jimmy Graham.

Benched him for Wilson and Edelman. Glad to see he broke a lot one off but he really needs to get healthy before Im comfortable putting him back in my lineup.

Baloney Sandwich said:
I unloaded Spiller right before last night's game, packaged him, Julius Thomas and Miles Austin

for Vick, Jordy Nelson and Garrett Graham (I also have Jimmy). It is a TD-heavy league and needed QB help as Russell Wilson had been a dud.
Perhaps but I upgraded myself at two positions (QB&WR) while making myself weaker at one (RB). It comes down to Vick staying healthy and being productive. Perhaps Spilker decides to go off but unless Jackson gets hurt I don't see the TDs coming to him and in my league that is all that really matters. Thomas is a good player but I'm not starting him over Jimmy Graham.
1) Besides Vick staying healthy you need to worry about him getting benched. His turnovers and slow decision times are starting the grumbling in philly already.

2) "Unless Jackson gets hurt", take a look at what happened the last two years.

I agree I don't like this trade.

started Spiller AND FJax.... AND cleveleand DST. had no right to expect what i got (which is a cool 50pt lead going into the weekend) but HALLELUJAH!

Unloaded Spiller and Stafford for Morris, Newton, and a 2nd in a PPR dynasty league before the game. Still hope and believe Spiller will bounce back but trust Morris and Cam more.

Anyone on think Tuel can help Cj in ppr?
Probably not - but with one big caveat: the Bills have been using Spiller and Jackson differently. Spiller has been getting pretty much all of the read-option plays which have not worked at all for a couple reasons - Manuel doesn't like running to keep defenses honest and the blocking has been subpar. Now that Manuel is injured, I bet that they will stop calling the read-option and thereby giving Spiller better running plays to work from.

I figured something about CJ would get bumped after yesterday or has everyone given up on him? I was really expecting him to get more snaps yesterday after the long break between games. Maybe the best thing he could do is skip a game and try to get healthy at this point.

I figured something about CJ would get bumped after yesterday or has everyone given up on him? I was really expecting him to get more snaps yesterday after the long break between games. Maybe the best thing he could do is skip a game and try to get healthy at this point.
Yeah, I didn't get to see the game but I saw people saying he looked great in game, but was clearly hobbled on the sideline, etc?

I am with you - if he didn't get better with 10 days off I am not sure he gets back to 100% (as 100% as an NFL RB is in season) any time soon.

Yeah, I didn't get to see the game but I saw people saying he looked great in game, but was clearly hobbled on the sideline, etc?

I am with you - if he didn't get better with 10 days off I am not sure he gets back to 100% (as 100% as an NFL RB is in season) any time soon.
Yeah I'm just rolling him out there with very low expectations. It sucks that you can't even count on your first round pick for solid flex production necessarily but it is what it is. Apparntly he only played 19 snaps yesterday so we were lucky to get the production we did. I do wish he would just rest a week or two, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Yeah I'm just rolling him out there with very low expectations. It sucks that you can't even count on your first round pick for solid flex production necessarily but it is what it is. Apparntly he only played 19 snaps yesterday so we were lucky to get the production we did. I do wish he would just rest a week or two, but it doesn't look like that will happen.
I didn't get to see the game. The SportsCenter highlights appeared to show most/all of his running plays designed for between the tackles. Also, only two catches (on how many targets?) for 11 yards. Reminds me of how Turner misused Sproles in San Diego. How much of Spiller's woes this year are due to poor game planning?

I didn't get to see the game. The SportsCenter highlights appeared to show most/all of his running plays designed for between the tackles. Also, only two catches (on how many targets?) for 11 yards. Reminds me of how Turner misused Sproles in San Diego. How much of Spiller's woes this year are due to poor game planning?
A lot. I lay 75% of Spiller's slump on the poor game planning and play calling. It's been atrocious.

^ agreed

They have not put him in a position to succeed. At least with the Manuel injury, they will stop the bogus "read option esqe" handoffs to him from shotgun right into the LG. I don't know how many times that okay needs to be shutdown for them to cut it out.

The majority of Spiller's problems have been on the play calling. He was at his deadliest in the screen game last year & I think they've run a grand total of one so far.

With the QB situation up in the air, I think the staff will reevaluate and goes back to what works. Spiller is still one of the most talented backs in the league.. Just look at his long TD against CLE while he was hobbled by injury.

Im desperately trying to make a move for him. Present owners will be frustrated with their 1st round pick by now & I think this a great opportunity to buy low. I'm trying my damndest to get him in my money league.

Rotoworld:

Former NFL scout Matt Williamson doesn't believe C.J. Spiller was ever truly healthy during the 2013 season.

Spiller admitted to never getting over his Week 4 high ankle sprain. "He rarely looked like himself, and I don't think he's all of the sudden forgotten how to be fast, explosive, and I think he's entering the prime of his career and just never looked super healthy to me," Williamson said. He went on to say that he sees Spiller as more of a Darren Sproles or Percy Harvin kind of player than a true feature back that pounds the ball up the middle. The Bills should be looking for ways to creatively get Spiller the ball in space in 2014. If that happens 10-15 times a game, he'll be a huge bounce-back candidate.

Source: ESPN.com

I won't be touching him unless it is late and he is a bargain. He is one of the overhyped guys that never pans out since Fred Jackson is the prettiest girl in that backfield. He's basically a gimmick guy that now has injury issues. Gonna be a nasty 3 way with Fred Jackson getting about 50% of touches, Spiller with 40%, and maybe Dixon with 10%. I'll let the next guy over pay.

I won't be touching him unless it is late and he is a bargain. He is one of the overhyped guys that never pans out since Fred Jackson is the prettiest girl in that backfield. He's basically a gimmick guy that now has injury issues. Gonna be a nasty 3 way with Fred Jackson getting about 50% of touches, Spiller with 40%, and maybe Dixon with 10%. I'll let the next guy over pay.
Avoid at your own peril, as Spiller will most certainly have a nice bounce back year. I'm not worried at all about FJax, and Dixon is nothing more than a short yardage back. A healthy Spiller will carve out a nice role in that O, and I'm predicting he vaults back into the top 10. I fully expect his ADP to creep higher and higher as we get closer to the actual season.

Users who are viewing this thread